Community > Posts By > JayGar

JayGar's photo
Fri 06/14/13 02:41 PM
Seen it twice and I am not ashamed to say that I'll probably see it at least one more time. In IMAX, that is.

Did not expect it to be as touching & heartwarming as it ended up being. It's definitely not your fathers SUPERMAN. This is the SUPERMAN film I've been waiting years for. This 4sure puts DC-on-film back in the game and hopefully the box-office success will warrant a sequel. Can't imagine why they couldn't/wouldn't want to make follow up to MAN OF STEEL.

JayGar's photo
Sun 01/15/12 07:28 AM
HA! That's what happens when Teebow plays a REAL team. Just sayin'...

JayGar's photo
Thu 10/27/11 12:56 AM
I gotta say I was a bit disappointed after seeing this flick in the theaters cuz I had high expectations for it. On paper and thru some of the trailers, it had everything going for it: good director, decent enough actor to play GL, Lively as eye-candy, Saarsgard as one of the main villians and perhaps a true origin story.

However, it was a bit of a bust, in my opinion. The only thing that I really praise about the film are the scenes in space. I wanted more of that! And to also see GL meet more of the fellow Green Lantern Corp.

Ryan Reynolds came off like a whiny dude. I still don't understand why WB cast him as Hal/GL. I find it to be a bit of a conflict of interest having him play GL knowing he's supposed to reprise his role as DEADPOOL at some point. Lively was eye-candy and NOTHING MORE. Most of the constructs that Hal/GL uses were a bit lame. Seriously, a hot-wheels race track to save that helicopter from crashing? Weak!

The only saving grace for this flick was SINESTRO. He came off like a bad-a*%! Glad to see them tease him for what could be in the sequel. I'm actually surprised WB is going forward with it, despite the lower than expected income it got. I assume they're hoping dvd/Blu-Ray sales will make back some of the $. I'm sure it looks great on Blu-Ray, so I'll eventually get it just to add to my comic-film collection.

RATING 6.25/10

JayGar's photo
Sat 10/01/11 01:42 AM
Absolutely enjoyed the heck out of DRIVE. I hate that people are comparing it to Fast & Furious or TRANSPORTER.

Much better acting, directing, cinematography. Such a breathe of fresh air to see a film not have to rely on such an overblown budget with sub-par actors(Fast&Furious) or stereotypical action stars(TRANSPORTER) and bring something new to the table.

IF anything, DRIVE reminded me of that Steve McQueen flick, BULLET.

JayGar's photo
Sat 10/01/11 01:38 AM
Every director is going to make a stinker every now and again. I can't say if it is a stinker cuz I have yet to see it. With that said, DRIVE blew me away. Still the best film I've seen this year.

The pacing might throw some people off, but I'm sure peeps will get over it. The runtime is an hour & 40mins.

JayGar's photo
Tue 09/27/11 02:39 AM
I gotta set my DVR to check this show out. I am intrigued that Jonathan Nolan & JJ Abrams are the brains behind it.

JayGar's photo
Sat 09/24/11 04:43 AM
Boise State needs to join a major conference to get the respect they deserve. Wish they would have join the PAC-12. Maybe they'll eventually join the BIG 12, if they ever get their stuff together.

JayGar's photo
Sat 09/24/11 04:34 AM
Edited by JayGar on Sat 09/24/11 04:37 AM
Nicholas Winding Refn does wonders directing this film. He does it with such elegance in each shot. I definitely need to see some of his earlier films(Pusher, Pusher II, BRONSON, Valhalla Rising). Cinematographer Newton Thomas Sigel paints a magnificent portrait of L.A., and in essence the city becomes a character in itself. What really makes DRIVE stand out for me is the combination of violence/characters/music. The soundtrack features a variation of dreamy pop tunes that, much like the film itself, is drowned in innocence and techno pop. It is a strange and exotic marriage of music that reminds me of something David Lynch would put in his films. There's a tune called “A Real Hero” by College feat. Electric Youth that somehow fits perfect in this crazy world. The hypnotic score by Cliff Martinez also gives DRIVE a bit of an edge. It's the first soundtrack I've wanted to go out and buy since... actually, I can't recall the last time now that I think of it.

I can see why some people are going to whine about the film being slow, but compared to some of the typical action crap that gets put out these days, this is a great change of pace. It is also surprisingly violent but thankfully not over-the-top. Kinda reminded me of A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE or something Tarantino would put out.

Cast: Ryan Gosling- I had no problem with him before this flick, but this guy is the sh*zn*t! The guy hardly says much and comes off as a bad-a** mo'fo just by his presence, but then he gets his hands dirty which makes for a cool character. Very rare do I ever want to see a characters back-story before the events of the film(JOKER in TDK).
Albert Brooks- Let me tell you something about Mr. Brooks: I sure as heck would love to see more of his character and I'll predict nominations for him next year.
Carey Mulligan- I was so happy to see she wasn't the stereotypical 'damsel in distress'. I still have a school-boy crush on her. One of my favorite actresses today. flowerforyou
Brian Cranston- Glad to see him getting the respect he deserves.
Ron Perlman- Typical Perlman role, which is always entertaining.
Oscar Issac- Displays so much sympathy in a character looking to make things right.
Christina Hendricks- POORLY used. frustrated

FINAL RATING: 9.25/10 - Until David Fincher's "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" comes out, this is the best film I've seen this year.

JayGar's photo
Fri 08/19/11 02:56 AM
I'm pretty stoaked about this news. Say what you want about the UFC/MMA, but them landing a network broadcasting deal with arguably the biggest network is a big deal for the sport.

Just hope FOX doesn't mess it up.

JayGar's photo
Fri 08/05/11 04:32 PM
ESCAPE is definitely another good installment in the series. Seeing Cornilius & Zira in the wardrobe of that era is funny.

If you're a fan of the original from 1968, you'll 4sure be able to pick up on the hints/homages that RISE pays to it. I won't give much away, but I kept pointing at the screen when something was hinted. My homie was all "what are you pointing at"? HAHA!

Anyways, this installment does the series justice and I'm speaking as a fan of the original series. I find myself defending it at times. But even if you haven't seen the originals, it's still a fun and entertaining film.

JayGar's photo
Fri 08/05/11 03:08 AM
First off: forget Tim Burton’s awful PLANET OF THE APES(2001) remake from ten years ago. Just pretend it doesn’t exist, which is what the filmmakers and the studio behind RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES seem to be doing, with loads of hints casually displayed throughout the film that this is in fact a prequel to the 1968 Charlton Heston-starring classic.

I've always had a soft spot for the original PLANET OF THE APES series. My old man got me to watch these when I was a kid and I couldn't get enough of it. While only the first film could really be called a classic, in my opinion, each of the films are entertaining in their own right. One of the better films, CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES(1972) is obviously the main influence on RISE, although it’s not a remake. The only elements that are really used are Caesar, the super-intelligent chimp, and the eventual uprising, which is depicted in a less cartoonish manner here (no submachine gun wielding Apes...yet).

It’s actually a fairly intelligent re-imagining of the series, with the idea that a serum designed to cure Alzheimer’s sowed the seeds of the revolution. As they say, "the path to hell is paved with good intentions", and this idea seemed like a truly inspired way to tell this particular tale.

I also really appreciated the gem of a performance given by John Lithgow as James Franco’s Alzheimer’s afflicted father, which is very affecting and believable. While he doesn't have much screen time, in just a few brief scenes Lithgow manages to convey the heart-break of a once-brilliant man slowly losing himself to dementia, and the relationship between him and Caesar is my favorite part of the film.

RATING: 8.25/10

JayGar's photo
Fri 07/22/11 04:15 AM
I hear that, man!

I'm enjoying it, so far. Just wish they offered an app for Blackberrys so I could post from my phone. I hate going thru the browser.

JayGar's photo
Fri 07/22/11 04:09 AM
What a fun flick! I friggin' enjoyed the heck out it.

There is a bit of a "cheesy" factor that plays throughout the film, but it's because he is a product of a different era. Steve Rogers/CAPT. AMERICA is a character that is much easier to accept against the WW2 backdrop, and its a beautiful way to introduce the character into a more modern setting, which will happen next summer with THE AVENGERS.

Speaking of THE AVENGERS, stay in your seat even after the end credits for a quick bonus scene & a teaser for THE AVENGERS. I was totally "nerding-out" after seeing that footage. glasses

RATING: 8/10

JayGar's photo
Fri 07/22/11 03:35 AM
My apologies. Yes, I meant the Dolph Lundgren PUNISHER flick. You're right about the other two being entertaining, I'll give you that. I just wish both were successful to warrant a sequel of some sort, ya know?

Wishful thinking.

JayGar's photo
Fri 07/22/11 03:27 AM
I'm stoked that BANE is the main villain in this installment, to be honest. I've always been a fan of the KNIGHTFALL storyline from the comics.

Also, seeing BATMAN back peddle the way he did in the teaser gave me goosebumps. We've never seen this in any of Nolan's BATMAN films.

JayGar's photo
Mon 07/18/11 07:26 PM
This franchise is in serious need of a reboot.

I'm only intrigued because of the director, Brad Bird. I'm curious to see what an animated film director can bring to a live-action film, let alone this being his first live-action film.

Only thing I liked about the trailer is that they're kind of making it more about a TEAM, like how it was in MI:1(which is the best of the series, in my opinion). But nothing new that we haven't already seen, right? Cruise brings back the long hair from MI:2 and runs away from yet ANOTHER explosion that is going on behind him.

I'll wait until it's in the dollar theaters to see this one.

JayGar's photo
Mon 07/18/11 07:18 PM
Edited by JayGar on Mon 07/18/11 07:18 PM
Anybody get a chance to see the trailer when they saw HARRY POTTER 7-pt2 or online?

If so, what did you think? Personally... I thought it was exactly what a trailer from MR. Christopher Nolan should be, a teaser. Doesn't give away the story. Leaves it up to discussion and pondering, that's for sure.

Thoughts?

JayGar's photo
Mon 07/18/11 07:13 PM
Speaking as an avid comic book/graphic-novel reader, I gotta say this flick was JUST OK.

There was so much potential for GREEN LANTERN to be Warner Bros.' next big franchise after POTTER & BATMAN. Sadly, this won't be it. Don't get me wrong, it's not a horrible film. It's way better than the crappier superhero films that have come out, i.e. DAREDEVIL, FANTASTIC 4, THE PUNISHER.

I even thought Ryan Reynolds wasn't the worst thing about this flick, which is saying a lot because I was on the fence when I heard he was cast as Hal Jordan/GL. But you can tell he's holding back from being his typical Ryan Reynolds character from WAITING...

Still, it won't rank up there with THE DARK KNIGHT, X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, IRON-MAN. But it's fun to watch, especially the scenes set in space.

RATING: 6.75/10

JayGar's photo
Mon 09/07/09 12:06 AM

You're mistaken, there wasn't a UFC event this past weekend.

JayGar's photo
Fri 09/04/09 11:45 PM

Wow someone must be insanely bored to be posting on here LOL

Yah, it's called Street-Fair overdose... or something like that.

Previous 1 3 4 5 6