Community > Posts By > John

John's photo
Thu 02/04/21 02:20 AM
But that may not be a matter of ability or the lack thereof, but attitude (in more ways than one). As suggested in the contributions, even if mom did not teach you to do these things, you can still learn them. That's a proactive attitude.

John's photo
Thu 02/04/21 02:17 AM
I think the comparison is on point, but maybe you should look at it differently. It should be every father's role to teach even his girls the basic male traditional chores, just like it should be every mother's duty to teach her sons the basis traditional female chores.
It doesn't matter how frequent they are needed to use these skills, but more their ability to be able to use them. In my experience, I was better able to decide which stove to buy and even which curtains to use because my mother did not spare me from assisting in the kitchen and taking care of house chores like cooking, cleaning, ironing, washing, while my father taught me carpentry, welding, mechanics and so on.
I found both to have made a contribution to the choice of my career and the benefit i bring to raising a family in this way.

John's photo
Thu 02/04/21 02:07 AM
Mom did not only teach how to cook and clean, but also how to find a good woman. Every adult male should know how to do chores for survival, even when he has a wife that takes care of cooking and cleaning and so on. Likewise, every adult female should know some stuff about cars, cleaning the yard or at least show genuine interest in that. It's part of what makes us adults in complementing each other to the benefit our our relationship.