IntellectualGenius's photo
Wed 05/29/13 09:34 PM

Pope Francis: Atheists Are Alright!

by Good German on May 26, 2013 in News
Mary Elizabeth Williams writes at Salon:

In a message delivered Wednesday via Vatican Radio, the new pontiff distinguished himself with a call for tolerance and a message of support – and even admiration – toward nonbelievers.

Naturally, a guy whose job it is to lead the world’s largest Christian faith is still going to come at his flock with a Jesus-centric message. But he’s taking it in an encouraging new direction. In his message, Francis dissed the apostles for being “a little intolerant” and said, “All of us have this commandment at heart: Do good and do not do evil. All of us. ‘But, Father, this is not (a) Catholic! He cannot do good.’ Yes, he can. He must. Not can: must.”

And the pope spoke of the need to meet each other somewhere on our on common ground. “This commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: We need that so much. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.” It was a deeper affirmation of his comments back in March, when he declared that the faithful and atheists can be “precious allies… to defend the dignity of man, in the building of a peaceful coexistence between peoples and in the careful protection of creation.”

That’s a message that’s vastly different from Catholicism’s traditional “We’re number one!” dogma. Six years ago, the Vatican reasserted the church’s stance that while there may be “elements of sanctification and truth” in other faiths, “that fullness of grace and of truth… has been entrusted to the Catholic Church.” In other words, close but no cigar, everybody else.

The pope was not, of course, addressing the non-believers of the world in his Wednesday sermon, or trying to win them over. Instead, he was telling his Catholics about the importance of cutting outsiders slack. And it’s a hugely important message for Christians to hear. It’s not about being right. It’s about being loving. And it’s a necessary concept, one that needs to be expressed again and again, in a world in which the Republican nominee for lieutenant governor in Virginia is justifying his repulsive hate speech against gays and lesbians because “I’m a Christian, not because I hate anybody, but because I have religious values that matter to me.” Coming within a week when atheists have been stepping into the spotlight here in America with their own messages of live-and-let-live tolerance, it’s downright refreshing to get a similar message from the biggest Christian in the world.

There are plenty of atheists out there who will no doubt take the pope’s message with a grain of salt or even flat-out disdain. The last thing somebody who doesn’t believe in heaven could possibly need is some guy in a funny hat telling them that they’re okay in God’s eyes anyway. But maybe, whatever we believe or don’t believe, we can consider that the man is on to something when he speaks about “the culture of encounter.”

Read more here.

The Pope? The "biggest" Christian in the world? ha! Sorry, but he is simply a sinful man just like the rest of us. He is nothing more than a puppet to a bunch of fools who believe in him.. A man-made idol for more mindless idiots to adore and worship.

This is all propaganda to promote, "The New World Order" B.S.
Eventually, they will have 100% control of the population with the technology to enslave the people against their will to accept their corrupt beliefs. even though they'll claim to never use this technology against their own people, but experiment with it overseas in foreign countries also forcing countries to accept the "Federal Reserve" bank that is run by the Rothschild's the very family associated with corrupt church, ironic isn't it? These religious criminals have mastered the art of deception and corruption and have been in power for centuries. Oh, and don't dismiss the "Jesuit Order" either the secret army of the Pope.. One of the most powerful and corrupt organizations in the world is the "Roman Catholic Church" and let's not forget either, "Islam" originated from this religion and eventually separated.. Why, do you think the U.S.A. is at war on "terrorism?" There is more behind the mask; this is what they want you to believe you should realize the problems are rooted deep from within.. Especially, when comedians tell more truth than the state run media.

Do not overlook the corrupt corporations and the GMO's the (Genetically Modified Organisms), there are way too many "brain dead" folks.. There is too much information in the world, unfortunately, people are too lazy to actually have to use any "critical thinking" skills and/or "reasoning" to get to the bottom of the issues.. The entire system is broken, even the educational system is screwed, why? Well, do your research and come to your own conclusions..

-Merica A Relic
"Ultimately enthralling & entertaining"

Wed 05/29/13 09:08 PM
Edited by IntellectualGenius on Wed 05/29/13 09:46 PM

My bad, it should have read "absence of action is non-use of power." not reaction. If I sit and do nothing I'd be no better than the so-called "god" that I protest. Let's play out this scenario, a scenario in which the bible was about modern day times instead of playing on people's minds with stories about magic and fairy tails. The bible, a story about nothing more than a bunch of people following an invisible deity based on nothing more than faith. Would so many people be so quick to follow a god that has never shown action. If you are so persistent in the belief that we are gods, then I choose to show action for a god that does not show action will ultimately be alone, like a wallflower at a party; no one follows the guy standing in the corner stewing over his own beliefs.

I don't consider calling religious people "silly" as insulting them, if you seen a guy running down the street flailing his arms around then would you not say "look, he's being silly!". It's not an insult if it's the truth. A long time ago people thought the earth was flat, the more educated people that knew it was round may have thought those people to be "silly" and they would have been correct.

Religious people spout their beliefs off every day trying to convert people, so how am I any worse for doing the same. Only difference is that my beliefs are based on science and fact, not clinging on to an ancient and dying concept.

"one of the most fascinating and historically accurate artifacts of our time." that's an opinion based on your own religious beliefs. That compilation of books was written so long ago that there's no possible way of validating much of any of it.

Yes I know of the komodo dragon, obviously I was speaking of the dragons of myth. Ones that fly and burn down villages with their fiery breath.(nice dodge on the question though.)

God has no religion, that's true enough, even a high priest has spoken those words. But people still follow it and religion is all based on interpretations from the bible and the bible was written by man following the teachings of god. So the entire argument between god and religion is pretty redundant.

"Unfortunately, YOU are a fool among the ignorant masses of man-made religion. Believe it or not, you are a religious idiot in every bit of the word, indulged in your biased beliefs of deception.. " Really, I wasn't aware that atheism was a religion. Fairly sure the more accurate description of it is "lack of religion".

My comment against your intellect was based on my disappointment in your previous harshly lacking argument; I'm able to name about a thousand reasons why god either does not exist or is a horrible corrupt deity, while the only arguments on the side of religion are the bible and your faith.
"I consider myself one of the most brilliant minds among the living world" With claims like that you'd better have something to back it up.

I'd really like someone to watch this video before commenting again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

I am not religious; don't try and put words into my mouth through deceptive writing. (Nice evasive attempt)

Oh, you weren't aware your Atheism was a religion? ha!
NEWS FLASH! Unfortunately, you are following and practicing the beliefs of your godless man-made religion, buddy.

Yeah, I am sure you can name a "thousand reasons" why God is a corrupt deity and doesn't exist.. Only problem is your "reasoning" is biased; therefore, you can't really give a fair evaluation of the situation without making an idiot of yourself.

For someone as stubborn as you I am not surprised you are determined to turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to the historically accurate facts of an artifact that hasn't been disapproved by unbiased science. Yet, you sit comfortably behind your computer without any evidence to disqualify the Bible, yet your ignorant enough to make claims and proclaim that these "theories" that you support are on equal footing with actual facts that support the Bible. I am not going to give you links to prove your wrong, because you'll simply deny it due to your obsession of your zealously pathetic religion and write more trivial non-sense to justify your foolishness.

For your information, We ALL believe and have faith in something: A) God B) Evolution C) The Big Bang D) Scientific Data / Theories, E) Chance,etc. In the final analysis we recognize WE don't have ALL the answers. Scientific theories come & go , but precious few become Scientific Laws,hence most fall by the wayside. Einstein once said: "I do not believe GOD rolled dice w/the universe." There is simply to much structure & order for it to happen by CHANCE.

-Merica A Relic

Wed 05/29/13 10:13 AM
Edited by IntellectualGenius on Wed 05/29/13 10:15 AM

Arkham is worth the wait, hang in there girl :) I mostly play the old republic, I am a star wars nerd

ha! :banana:

All jokes aside, I am a star wars nerd too.. but unfortunately, I've become increasingly focused on my musical ambition, but when I have the spare time which is rare these days.. I get on SWTOR or Gameranger and play on "Star Wars Clone Campaigns." I also was once a hardcore GoW player.. Gears of War franchise.. and before SWTOR was into SWG... "Star Wars Galaxies".. I was always the bad guy gamer, "insanely" good..but like I said, I don't play often anymore, but every 6 months I get back into it briefly.. ha!

I enjoy writing it stimulates my mind..

Tue 05/28/13 11:48 PM
Edited by IntellectualGenius on Tue 05/28/13 11:54 PM

Oh and "IntellectualGenius" you offered a few narrow-minded sentences to the argument, it seems to me that you're more condescending than intellectual. True intellectuals think outside of the box, your views are obviously very inside the box and your argument(if it can even be called that) is small, empty and once again just refers back to that badly misinterpreted book. Would I persuade you that dragons exist if I pointed you to a very convincing book on dragons? From the few words you've spoken here I'd put msharmony ahead of you on the genius poll.(not meant as an attack on msharmony, just at "IntellectualGenius" falling short on his claims).

------------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately, YOU are a fool among the ignorant masses of man-made religion. Believe it or not, you are a religious idiot in every bit of the word, indulged in your biased beliefs of deception..

Once again, you fall short of wisdom, yet you rise in strength through ignorance. ha!

Oh, and God has no religion. Remember, man created religion to rule the population. Obviously, you believe in it as much as the next mindless zombie (Oh, you believe in zombies? I'm sure you'd accept it as a theory, right?), but it is just merely a slightly different form of control.

Yes, I know dragons do exist.. ever heard of the "Komodo dragon?"
Don't be so blatantly ignorant in your next reply, buddy.. If you want you can at your own discretion, but I don't want to laugh at you.. I simply want to awaken the unconscious mind within you..

Oh?
"badly misinterpreted book"
The Bible is "interpreted" knowledge; everyone has their own "experience" and "revelation" when indulging themselves in one of the most fascinating and historically accurate artifacts of our time. These "experiences" and "revelations" are called, "man-made."

-Merica A Relic

Tue 05/28/13 11:03 PM
I think your better off hitting the local bar.. or Craigslist, ha!

Tue 05/28/13 11:01 PM
I scare more people without a photo of myself.. ha!

"Trolling is a form of art." - Merica A Relic

Tue 05/28/13 10:59 PM

Read your profile and you seem to be a genuine guy. Good looking, seemingly down to earth, and attentive to the needs of your partner; You'll make a woman really happy some day!

Tue 05/28/13 10:27 PM
I hold the "single" record, but I won't tell you; unless you ask, of course!

Tue 05/28/13 10:25 PM

Still
I
Need
God's
Love
Everyday

I like this! :heart:
:banana:

Tue 05/28/13 10:03 PM
There's always a hidden fee to any relationship; usually it is known as "marriage" in this scenario man/women. Also, as some others have mentioned, the women from "overseas" are more willing to entice you through any means necessary to get the ultimate prize. Although, here in America, there tends to be a fine line between "regulars" who are nasty typically ghetto or just outright mentally out of place and ugly in the most obscene ways imaginable.. sorry, if I offended anyone in this category.. Then you have your "righteous" chicks, but ultimately, if your looking for that you better be able to prove your "worth" to this kind of women.. There are many factors that come into play, but your best bet is to keep trying while your living and be yourself, eventually, the right "women" will capture your heart.. Patience is key my friend.

Sun 05/26/13 09:47 PM

Good evening ladies beautiful ladies I am 5'10 165 pound white male save dad I'm new here North Little Rock Arkansas I own my own business I own two houses one that I rent and the other one I live in It's a big 2 bedroom Happy lucky if I use more than the couch Anyway it's good to be here I hope I get some messages

Thinking with the little head doesn't get you that far ahead. ha!

Good luck, buddy!

Sun 05/26/13 12:34 AM

hi ! welcome here :smile: :smile:

Troll Love shades

Sun 05/26/13 12:14 AM

I consider myself one of the most brilliant minds among the living world and to address this issue.. God is loving; if you are familiar with the Bible as a "whole" you'd have some understanding of this particular piece of knowledge. Although, making an attempt to discredit the written truth is pointless as it only reveals your ignorance and lack of ineptness in understanding "Good and Evil" in general. Our minds are tainted in sin, enough said.

The Bible is a book of our history; the past, present, and the future. Remember, it has an unprecedented amount of knowledge in it, but it takes an open-mind to truly understand the context of the magnitude of this masterpiece.

-Merica A Relic
"Ultimately enthralling and entertaining"

Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RelicAmerica

Sat 05/25/13 11:56 PM
The art of trolling is my specialty.

Sat 05/25/13 11:47 PM
I like the fact everyone has different taste! I'd be guilty of saying, the ORIGINAL "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy was my top pick.

Sat 05/25/13 11:44 PM
Wait..

Did I just do this..

No.. I was mistaken, most certainly, I am intellectually enthralling in the mental sense. I keep a low profile and more importantly I prefer the "Anonymous" outlook in the online community in general.

Thoughts?

Sat 05/25/13 11:38 PM

I didn't find love cause I wasn't searching, but the irony is that jerks found me!

Do I need to hide to let love and jerks not find me at all? huh

ha! Now you do realize you could have put an "anonymous" photo up to discourage the jerks from messaging you.

Sat 05/25/13 11:34 PM

Last time I engaged in serndipitous mussings I discoverd ejaculation and that was about 30 years ago.
So its been keeping me busy ever since I just don't have the time to be serendipitous ever since as
It seems my hands are always fulllaugh I thank you

ha!

Sat 05/25/13 11:28 PM
Faith my friend! Never give up, Sir.

Sat 05/25/13 11:14 PM
Very enthralling! ha! Good work!

Previous 1