Community > Posts By > tiamabreid

tiamabreid's photo
Wed 11/12/08 02:27 PM

You mentioned ridiculous insurance claims.

Are you referring to medical malpractice claims?

If so please remember that juries hear those cases and play a large part in determining the amounts rewarded in those cases.

Juries made up of men and women just like those of us in these boards.

Yes lawyers ask for damages but it's the juries and the insurance companies (when offering to settle) that determine the amount of a reward in most cases.

Not just that, but think of all the people you know (well, I have known some) that will get a common cold and have to go to the Dr or even the Hospital to make sure they will be fine instead of waiting a day or to and see if it clears up. Some people will also have some small scratch and need it to be looked at by a Dr or Hospital - not saying a HUGE GASH, definitely that would need attention, I am just saying sometimes people way over-use the medical.

On top of that, yes, the claims. And I hear what you're saying about that.

tiamabreid's photo
Wed 11/12/08 02:19 PM

The reality is that even people with seemingly good coverage are without medical resources now.

I may be getting the name of the policy/coverage wrong here but I recently heard a report on retired military members who were covered under a program called tri-care. On paper they were covered but there were no doctors that were accepting the coverage.

These retirees, many of whom had combat related injuries earned their coverage but cannot get services despite being covered on paper.

Politics aside let's look at just one part of the issue logically. if every insurance company had say a single form to fill out think of the savings.

Nothing will change as long as the medical lobbies have a say.

Their scare tactics and pay offs are costing all of us in premiums, tax dollars and increased costs.

Follow the money...the medical lobbies are the ones most opposed to reforms and coverage for all. Know why?

Same concept: Doctors that accept state coverage are far and few between.

Can you really blame the doctors?

No, there are so many regulations set on them just to ensure payment. That payment also, is not as much as a private insurance.

tiamabreid's photo
Wed 11/12/08 02:16 PM

i just dont like the idea of wage based deductions on your insurance costs. i dont think its fair.

for instance wage...are we talking hourly or grossly??
because im telling you in the past two years i have a vast difference in my grossly wage...if only becasue i was too stressed and missed my children too much too work 4 nights a week. so now i only do 2-3.

i think that it is the insurance companies need looked into. i think somebodys gotta be taking a cut out of all the money thats getting paid into it. and I also know that many times they find fault in reimbursing hospitals for some reason or other. length of stay is a biggy.

I agree that the insurance companies need to be looked into. I also think that one of the reasons for such high insurance rates are because of all of the ridiculous insurance claims. Just the same with your auto, if you file a claim, your insurance goes up. Well, the insurance companies have to take into consideration ALL of the claims made, not just for you, but for everyone. Many people will excessively use their dr or hospital, driving up the bill and therefore driving up insurance costs.

tiamabreid's photo
Wed 11/12/08 02:02 PM
Edited by tiamabreid on Wed 11/12/08 02:04 PM

just adding my $0.02

doesnt really seem fair to those who make more - have no kids or fewer kids to pay more? for same coverage.

No, I'm saying that would be the cutoff.

For instance, you are a single person with no children.

You make $25K per year. Health insurance is around $367 (taken from 2007 average) per month.
You would probably live just fine, not GREAT, but fine with paying this. After employer pays (usually 50%), you are left with $183.50.

You make $20K per year. State could pay about $100 per month, employer would still pay 183.50, and you would pay $84 per month.

You make $15K per year. State could pay $183.50, employer pay $183.50 and nothing comes from your pocket.

This is just a for-instance.

tiamabreid's photo
Wed 11/12/08 01:52 PM
Edited by tiamabreid on Wed 11/12/08 01:52 PM

I'm not talking about employers paying for insurance. They already do that, which is why so many can't afford to give it to their employees. I'm talking about a government grant, given according to business size (number of employees, etc), to be used strictly for health care. Across the board.

That's not a bad idea. As long as they don't pocket that cash instead of hooking up employees. That way people can still have some independence from the government, and it stablizes the job market a bit...

How bout they don't give cash, but pay the insurance companies directly? That would fix that in a jiffy! It would also help DSHS a whole lot by lifting the weight of the millions of people who need state insurance right now.

Yes and no. Honeslty we have a deeper rooting problem causing the high cost of healthcare. Unless this problem is addressed we are merely making the richest, richer, and the average citizens poorer.

HMO, and the FDA need some SERIOUS looking into, before any money is thrown at anything.

Treat the disease, not just the symptom (that's what i like to believe.

I agree, but starting by having health insurance paid partly by the state and partly by the employer for those who are making, say under $25K per year and have no children, under $30K per year if they have a child, $35K per year if they have 2 children, $40K per year if they have 3, etc., and then going on a salary scale from then up to wean off the government completely and paying only the portion the government would otherwise be paying, I think would help for now.

It does mask in a sense, but at the same time, people are then able to get the treatment they require.

Tina

tiamabreid's photo
Wed 11/12/08 01:37 PM

Agreed. It would also help a LOT for those adults who fall through the cracks, like me. My salary and my child support make me JUST above the wage topper for adult insurance... which means I can't get insured by my job OR the state.

That's so true. Great idea!

Tina

tiamabreid's photo
Wed 11/12/08 01:31 PM

Here's something that may help to make everyone happy -- give allowances to all businesses - big and small - so that they can pay for all thir employees to have adequate insurance. That way all WORKING people can be insured, with their own merit and by their own job.

That, I think, would be a really good idea.

I think that would be a GREAT idea. Having an allowance to help pay for healthcare, instead of not being able to offer it would be ideal. I wouldn't mind paying for a percentage of healthcare. I realize most companies dont pay FULL premiums, but I know it is hard for my employees to pay the rest anyway. I am paying a higher wage right now than most other companies like mine, and I am trying to give everything I can to my employees. I learned that treating an employee well and listening to what they say and respecting their ideas is the best way to keep good employees, but with health insurance, that's a VERY heavy load.

I have a small company right now, and even though it is small, I would love to offer healthcare right away, I just can't offer it right now because of cost. If I did, I would shut down.

Tina
Yes only for me it went the other way. I had to give up to keep mine. Its just a very important issue and needs debated now more than ever. Accountabilty from the states and smart spending would probably fix most of it.I think the rest wouldnt look that bad.

What I think would really help is:

Many children get healthcare free through the state. I would never change this.

Many adults get healthcare free through the state, and I would tweak this just for those who are not pregnant and have had their recovery after a baby. I think, the money that would have went to the adults for FULL medical and dental through the state should now go through the workplace to offer medical coverage. It kind of kills two birds with one stone. It allows for the company to only have to pay a portion of the medical, and it also gives more incentive to find a job for those who may be using the system.

tiamabreid's photo
Wed 11/12/08 12:58 PM

Here's something that may help to make everyone happy -- give allowances to all businesses - big and small - so that they can pay for all thir employees to have adequate insurance. That way all WORKING people can be insured, with their own merit and by their own job.

That, I think, would be a really good idea.

I think that would be a GREAT idea. Having an allowance to help pay for healthcare, instead of not being able to offer it would be ideal. I wouldn't mind paying for a percentage of healthcare. I realize most companies dont pay FULL premiums, but I know it is hard for my employees to pay the rest anyway. I am paying a higher wage right now than most other companies like mine, and I am trying to give everything I can to my employees. I learned that treating an employee well and listening to what they say and respecting their ideas is the best way to keep good employees, but with health insurance, that's a VERY heavy load.

I have a small company right now, and even though it is small, I would love to offer healthcare right away, I just can't offer it right now because of cost. If I did, I would shut down.

Tina

tiamabreid's photo
Mon 11/10/08 09:54 PM
When I was 10 months old, my mother had me and my brother on a crowded bus and once we had sat down, I was in her lap as she was putting her bag down and getting my brother seated. She turned back around to see that I had unbuttoned her shirt entirely and opened it up for everyone to see.

tiamabreid's photo
Mon 11/10/08 09:53 PM
When my son was 2 we were walking in a department store and he looked past my shoulder, pointed, and said, "look, mommy, a fag". I couldnt believe he had heard that word. I said no, we dont say that. He kept persisting and saying, "no mommy, look, look, a fag". I turned around and he saw a flag.

tiamabreid's photo
Mon 11/10/08 08:37 PM
I read on a parenting advice site that the average 3-4 year old girl KNOWS at least 23 curse words/phrases. The average 3-4 year old boy KNOWS at least 17, and these are learned from sources OUTSIDE the home.

No matter what is put on the television, if your child goes to school, playgroups, etc, they are bound to pick them up, and at a very young age.

Tina

tiamabreid's photo
Mon 11/10/08 07:42 PM

and secondarily, the founding fathers didnt believe the common people had enough knowledge to be trusted with selecting the President.

Exactly, because in that time there were not enough means to allow common people to know much about who was running for President, that is the whole reason for the electoral.

The states would form groups, the groups would find the information about the President, then vote for the President they thought was best. The common people would vote for the group that they thought would best represent them.

Now, we can find all of this information out, but it has been this way and has never been changed.

Tina

tiamabreid's photo
Mon 11/10/08 04:26 PM
QS: yes well I'm all for parents to raise their children in admonision to grow up with self respect & disciplines that will carry them & protect them for the rest of their lives.

I have to say tho...a loose society doen't make it easy for parents either. The sexual revolution etc etc also contributes to desensitizing kids into doing things they should not be doing. There is also too much violence on TV as well. What about drugs on the street?

Something should be done about the external influences as well.

Many influences tie into this problem. Like you said, desensitizing is a main problem.

My children's school is one of the few that still have consequence for action at the elementary level. Hate to mention it, but the "no child left behind" had quite a bit to do with the problems we are having with our education. Test scores may be higher, but now we don't even know if those high test scores were really earned or not.

Though I agree that children should have the ability to learn and given all the resources to do the best they can, I don't think the way to pass a child through school is to boost test scores (not because the children necessarily did better) and to let children slip through even when they don't pass a class.

Tina

tiamabreid's photo
Mon 11/10/08 02:42 PM

I think it would be nice if we could all agree that everyone should be doing what they can to help themselves, and only seeking out government help from others when they can't.

Nobody should be allowed to abuse the system for their own lazy purposes.

It would also be nice if those who have made it, or those who were fortunate enough to be born in wealth would be willing to pass either some of their blessings or wisdom to those who do not see better things financially in their future.

And it shouldn't be based on the idea of an investment--ie. to get something in return from it. It should be based on being a decent human being and caring about your fellow man. That's all I'm saying.

Besides, while there are some people who milk the government for money, I would say that most people would rather be making it on their own.

I absolutely know that most would like to make it on their own. Again, I could help anyone who really wants it, and that really is an offer I would love to make.

If anyone really wants to know, email me, and I will show you and talk to you and work things through with you.

Tina

Tina,
I won't go far as to say you do not have the qualifications to help anyone else out--you have obviously come through a lot of stuff and have perservered in spite of that, and I'm happy to hear that.

However, I will tell you that while you may think you can help anyone out, it is not always the case. I have a very dear friend who is always giving me the solutions for things that come up in our conversations that I want to do with my life, etc. and he is always making suggestions "Well just go buy this, just do that." And I have to stop him and remind him that while his suggestions are good and may work for some people, they don't work for everyone.

Nobody really knows what someone else's life is like until they walk a mile in their shoes. And while that is as redundant and cliche as it comes (think of the beating a dead horse pic) it's very true.

I don't think it's a good idea for any of us here in this thread to go slamming each other into walls when we don't have a clue what they have been through. And that goes for making assumptions on both sides. You say it's not fair that we assume you are condescending or elitist, and the same rules should apply to you to not assume we are lazy or unwilling to make things better for ourselves because you just don't know what people are going through. And even if it isn't as bad as you have had it, you just don't know how people handle things either. Something that was hell for you might not be for them, and vice-versa.

Thanks for that, and I admit, at one point I got carried away. I didnt mean that anyone was dumb or lazy. I was not mentioning anyone who IS dumb or lazy nor did I say that a particular group was. I was talking about taxes and that some do pay much more of a percentage.

I think, though, that the condescending remarks from two others have gotten far out of control, and I am trying to just let this go.

However much I do agree that roads traveled are always different from person to person, but I don't agree that no one can help. There could be someone out ther that could take how I and thousands of other working parents have done what I did and apply it to their lives as well. Many people dont know how to do it. Either way, I needed help and had a very hard time getting it, I would love to pass it along.

Tina

tiamabreid's photo
Mon 11/10/08 02:34 PM

Again, I did not say that being older makes it
IMPOSSIBLE to do better in life. Drew was talking about working at McDonald's as a teenager and he did better for himself.

I told him that it was more DIFFICULT when a person is older (not a teenager) and has children. I said that it is difficult to put food on a table when making min. wage and you have children.

Lildevilsmom did not bash you here.

Lildevilsmom: Apparently on your way to the top you forgot where you came from.

I would call that a bash. If you guys are going to dish it, then you need to be able to take it.

I would like for this to just end, but you guys keep going and going. Will this end? Are you going to be done soon? I WILL prove my points and if you are going to say something that is rude to me, you may want to expect the same back.

I post on many threads and you telling me that I am stalking you, laughing about someone saying that I have a crush on you, and all those little jokes are pretty juvenile. If you are a christian, act like one.

Tina

tiamabreid's photo
Mon 11/10/08 02:26 PM

What applied for Grants,spent my tax money or turned into an elitist.

It's a shame that just because you dont have the willpower to make more of yourself, you put me down for sucking it up and doing it.

Excuse me?I have more willpower then you know.I have pulled myself out of homelessness,abuse and mental illness so talk trash to someone else.My day will come but right now my youngest needs me.I'm the only parent he has in his life right now.I'm done with your condescending ,snotty remarks.First you insult my intelligence,now my drive.Like I said,elitist.

And about YOUR condescending, snotty remarks, are they just supposed to be overlooked?

tiamabreid's photo
Mon 11/10/08 02:25 PM

I think it would be nice if we could all agree that everyone should be doing what they can to help themselves, and only seeking out government help from others when they can't.

Nobody should be allowed to abuse the system for their own lazy purposes.

It would also be nice if those who have made it, or those who were fortunate enough to be born in wealth would be willing to pass either some of their blessings or wisdom to those who do not see better things financially in their future.

And it shouldn't be based on the idea of an investment--ie. to get something in return from it. It should be based on being a decent human being and caring about your fellow man. That's all I'm saying.

Besides, while there are some people who milk the government for money, I would say that most people would rather be making it on their own.

I absolutely know that most would like to make it on their own. Again, I could help anyone who really wants it, and that really is an offer I would love to make.

If anyone really wants to know, email me, and I will show you and talk to you and work things through with you.

Tina

tiamabreid's photo
Mon 11/10/08 02:18 PM

Let's see... criminal justice system... taxes.. education.. health care.. the economy - all worthy endeavors, granted.

From whence to all of these things get born? Why, Parents! If it were not for the parents of this society who procreate indiscriminately, want to be their child's FRIEND instead of the PARENT, give the child over to the first system of the "other" who comes along [day care, the streets, schools, courts, etc.] that is willing to take over the tough job of being a real parent.... a lot of these "issues" would take care of their selves.

Instead of looking at what has "become" of our society, perhaps we should look at what has caused our society to get that way in the first place.

Also... as an FYI... I work in an urban HS - I see what our future is, everyday - and I see the people who make it this way [parents]. You can't fix a problem when you're trying to repair the results of the issue - you have to fix the cause, before you can address the result.

IMHO.

I love what you're saying here.

I do agree that our future starts with the parents. Parents need to set a good example for their children. Parents need to discipline their children:

There is so much extremity when it comes to discipline. Too many parents either beat their child or don't discipline at all. There needs to be a medium. There needs to be constructive discipline without physical hurt.

I also work with children every day. (lol, went from doing taxes to working with children - huge change there) I see children and how parents deal with problems, and I have to say, the parents who can just look at their child and that's enough, because the child knows better, creates so much of a difference in the learning environment.

This very well could be where much of our slack in the education system is stemming from.

Tina

tiamabreid's photo
Mon 11/10/08 02:10 PM

What applied for Grants,spent my tax money or turned into an elitist.

It's a shame that just because you dont have the willpower to make more of yourself, you put me down for sucking it up and doing it.

tiamabreid's photo
Mon 11/10/08 01:58 PM

Maybe this can make a little more sense to all of you that can't think past the scope of a childhood education.

Tina

Tina, you make very valid arguments.

But then you proceed to lessen those points by making snide little comments such as the one I am quoting.

I understand that it can be frustrating at times to feel that you are the only one who " sees the light " so to speak. Resorting to insulting someone's intelligence, however, is not the most effective way of making your point.

If people don't listen to those points, that is their own choice.

Oh I'm reading them but they don't go with my life experience and the tone of this whole thread is if you are poor you must be either stupid or lazy.I am neither .I'm just a single parent struggling to get by and even I will drop a few coins in a less fortunate persons cup because thats called empathy and community.Sometimes people forget their roots and what it's like to struggle.sad.

You DO know, though, that it IS possible for you to do better for you and your family.

No one is saying that just because you are poor you are stupid. I am saying that there are so many resources out there for single parents to make a better life for themselves, and the argument before (WINX, I think said) that people that are older with children will never make any better of a life for themselves or their families other than minimum wage and that minimum wage should be increased. You can look back and see that conversation.

You can also see in other threads where I have told my story, and argued that many people are perfectly happy with making a lower income. They are happy to spend more time with their families and would opt to not work so hard in their life. What I am saying is, that's fine, but I don't want them to whine and say that somehow because I HAVE worked hard to earn good money, I owe them by paying more than 1/3 of what I earn to them.

Hope that clarifies.

Tina

I did not say that they will never make a better life for themselves!! I said that it was more difficult.

You said exactly,

Winx: "But..you were young when this happened. These people are older and have children. Minimum wage cannot support a family.
It's even difficult for a single adult to live on that income."

Throughout the entire conversation, you had stuck to this and how "difficult" it was to a point that it was implied as nearly impossible.

And in another quote, an implication:

Winx: "Not to mention the psychological issues they have from living like that all of their lives and having no hope or good role models."

I am just arguing the point that it IS possible.

And, if one jumps on the ball early enough in the year FASFA funds will be available for them. There are also State Need Grants for EVERYTHING from excess tuition fees, class fees, books, extra cost of living, DAYCARE, etc. AND on top of that comes a subsidised loan, and if all else fails, an un-subsidised loan.

Tina

Not if you work.

Oh, well, I must not have done it while I worked a full-time job and had 3 children to care for at the same time either.

Tina

Previous 1 3 4 5