Community > Posts By > Nyteflame

Nyteflame's photo
Sat 09/24/11 10:55 PM
the peregrine falcon can reach flight speeds of over 200 miles per hour. They usually take their prey on the wing (like pigeons), rather then hunting for ground-bound prey like mice. They were used to intercept homing pigeons in WWII.

Nyteflame's photo
Sat 09/24/11 10:47 PM
I can't remember. Blue was one color, I think the other was gold, but it might have been white.

Nyteflame's photo
Sat 09/24/11 10:41 PM
Nov. 2nd here.

Nyteflame's photo
Tue 09/20/11 08:19 PM
First, if someone compliments ME, then yeah, I'll say thank yo9u (and probably blush, I'm good at blushing). If they compliment my clothing, or an accessory, I tell them where I found it so they can get one if they want.

On Bathrooms and long lines: Going in a group serves four purposes: 1, it gives us someone to talk to while we are IN said long line. 2, It gives us a chance to talk about things we might not want others in the party to hear (girl talk). 3. Occasionally, there are zippers or buttons we might need help with (This is usualy only a problem in formal ware: For example, the bride is GOING to need help with her dress while she's in the rest room) and 4, Safety in numbers. Public restrooms (especially in parks, rest stops, and bars) can be really shady.

On shopping: I won't buy something if it's not exactly what I am looking for, so If I go shopping for a jacket, I might not come home with a jacket. If, however, I find something that I was looking for previously and couldn't find (perfect shoes, new purse) I might go ahead and get them now. After all, they might not be there again when you go shopping for them specifically). Also, the act of walking around the store, looking at the merchandise and maybe chatting with a friend is therapeutic, even if you aren't buying anything. I have often left work in a mood, took an hour to stroll around the mall on the way home, and felt much better.

Nyteflame's photo
Fri 09/16/11 07:13 PM
Last time I went, it was to replace a license I lost. I've never had to replace a lost license before, so I figured it would be similar to the way I got my first license, minus the driving test (eye test, photo, fill out form). I got there before lunch (maybe around 11), and was there until they closed. They ended up locking the front door, and making the last of us go out the back door and walk around the building, so no new people would try to come in.

The worst part? They re-used my old picture (instead of taking a new one), and only had me fill out a form. I found out later I could have done the form online! It took over three months for them to send me my new license (with my old photo on it). Meanwhile, I couldn't cash a paycheck, deposit or withdraw money from my bank (I lost my bank card at the same time, which would have been fine if I had a picture ID), rent movies from blockbuster, or even get a library card (I had just moved to the area). I did eventually get my new bank card in the mail after a few weeks, which let me have access to my account again, but other then that, everything was on hold for lack of a picture ID.

Nyteflame's photo
Mon 09/12/11 09:11 PM
I don't know if one like can change the world simple by existing (i'm not talking about those who do great thing), but they all certainly change a part of it. Consider = Even a baby who dies an hour after birth has changed lives. Those of his or her parents certainly, but also, the attending doctors and nurses, anyone who might have looked through the nursery while the baby was there. Even before birth, a stranger sees a pregnant woman, consider how that evidence of the continuation of the species affects them.

Nyteflame's photo
Sun 09/11/11 10:20 PM
A real fence? Yes
The proverbial fence? No.

What is the weirdest food you have ever eaten? (notice, I specified "food" not "think" for a reason. There are something the world is not meant to know...)

Nyteflame's photo
Sun 09/11/11 10:17 PM
Cheese Scone and clotted cream

Nyteflame's photo
Sun 09/11/11 10:04 PM
Just googled my name. The first four at least (I didn't look past that) are all me. I have a pretty unique name. According to one whitepages site, I am the only person in the US with my name.

Nyteflame's photo
Sun 09/11/11 01:44 PM
Red Peppers and Smoked pineapple sausage.

Nyteflame's photo
Sun 09/11/11 09:06 AM
I wonder how they managed to create a light source that released only one photon at a time.

Nyteflame's photo
Sun 09/11/11 08:58 AM
I was a Junior in high school. I was in 10th grand English class. We were taking a test on Beowulf. The principal came to the door and called the teacher out of the room. I remember thinking how unusual that was, you don't leave students alone during a test. The teacher returned shortly, and didn't say anything. We finished our tests, and I started for the lunch room (I had the earliest possible lunch period that year). My boyfriend at the time caught up with me in the hall, like he usually did. Instead of saying hi, or asking how my test went, the first thing he said to me was "The towers have fallen." I had no idea what he was talking about. The enormity of the situation didn't hit me until I saw the lunch room. Every tv cart in the school had been brought to the room, they were all turned to the news broadcast. They played the footage over and over again. My school district didn't send us home early. They probably should have, I certainly don't remember doing anything else for the rest of the day.

Nyteflame's photo
Sun 09/11/11 08:44 AM

what does this mean - low desert and high desert???

It refers mostly to altitude. Google "Joshua Tree National Park" for some good pictures of the high desert. (Add key words like "snow" or "spring" for some really stunning shots)
The high desert includes some vistas of sand, but it is also a lot of rolling rocky hills, with low, scrubby vegetation. Think about the scenery in some of the wild west movies.
The low desert is more what people think of when they thing "desert". There are more cacti, fewer leafy plants. Lots of sand and dust. The land is flatter. The most obvious example of low desert is Death Valley, though that's an extreme case. The area around Las Vegas is low desert.

Nyteflame's photo
Sun 09/11/11 08:34 AM
gouda and crackers

Nyteflame's photo
Sat 09/10/11 07:15 PM
Toast and apricot jam

Nyteflame's photo
Sat 09/10/11 07:13 PM

u are making me remember that I have not been west of Indianapolis (srsly)laugh

I think the desert in AZ, CALI or NM would be a must to see!!!!!
I get that same feeling of refreshment at the ocean's edge.........any ocean

Before I moved out here (what an adventure it has been!) I had never been farther east then Pennsylvania (My folks say I've been to Ohio, but I don't think it counts if I was too young to remember it).
You should definitely add the American Deserts to your bucket list, but remember, the Low Desert and the High Desert are two very different places, be sure to add both to your list.

Nyteflame's photo
Sat 09/10/11 07:05 PM
Oh, I don't think you will have a problem catching someone's eye on here. Good luck to you!

Nyteflame's photo
Sat 09/10/11 07:02 PM
The Jetsons

Nyteflame's photo
Sat 09/10/11 06:30 PM
Tea and honey

Nyteflame's photo
Sat 09/10/11 06:29 PM
Good tot he last drop!

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17