Community > Posts By > SBmantle

SBmantle's photo
Fri 12/12/08 08:55 PM
I have been to Jo'Burg and CapeTown and the Western Cape Mountains. Hiring a car in S.A. isn't the wisest thing to do (by yourself). It is best to have an Afrikaaner with you and/or Native Blacks (bodyguard types) who know the language and the terrain. Trains are that much safer. It was told to me, when I asked if I could drive up to Germany from Jo'burg - Yeah you can go anywhere you want - just don't open your mouth (being an american) that is a dangerous thing and there are more 'tribal wars" than you think. The struggle for freedom in S.A. has been won, but the war isn't over for personal/financial freedom. The infrastructure of S.A. is dismal. When they carjack there - they don't just take your car - they dispose of any evidential bodies with eyes that may be able to identify them, as well. South Africa is a beautiful place though -don't miss going, if you have the time and means (which most Americans do, but they spend their money on "stuff" instead)...go for it. Get to know some of the people first, but be careful who and how you meet them. S.A. can be a very dangerous place, and it can be the best place in the world - if you know the right folks. Have Fun.