Community > Posts By > cbchdude

cbchdude's photo
Tue 03/31/09 05:13 PM
My daughter's Apple laptop crashed and I know little to nothing about them. Here is my last convo results with her on it:

Make and Model info plz:
It is an Apple iBook, Model M8413, copyright date on it is 2002

What apps did you use last?
just the internet, I recently (like Saturday) started using Safari instead of Firefox on it.

When did you install it?
It has always been on there, but I updated it on Saturday

Anything else?
Also updated iTunes, just regular send you a message time for updates crap
But it all came from the Apple website

And then what?
It just locks up from there, anyone that knows Apple will know what the "finder" icon is, and that icon and a question mark just flashes inside the folder in the middle of the screen.

Now I know in DOS this sounds like it could be a corrupted MBR easily fixed with Fdisk, but Apples and Oranges here and I know little to help her out.

Anyone have an idea of what we can do to get her back up and running? She got this thing third hand and has no system disks or cd's for it.

Thanks in advance

cbchdude's photo
Sun 03/15/09 05:18 PM
Beautiful! I just watched Discovery lift off. It was just dark enough to light up the Cape yet light enough to see it's trail. As it passed through where the Sun could cast it's colors turning everything into a Sun orange red. Absolutely magnificent.

cbchdude's photo
Sun 03/15/09 05:12 PM
Hey all what's up

cbchdude's photo
Sat 03/14/09 06:54 PM
Decided to finally build the network so I've been resurrecting and fighting with some (3) old pc's

cbchdude's photo
Sat 03/14/09 06:49 PM
Hey guys! How has everyone been?

cbchdude's photo
Thu 03/12/09 11:26 AM
I just pulled out an old doorstop and got it back up and running again. After a quick test with DOS to make sure everything worked I stripped the drive and installed Slackware 10.0 I also need a local Linux server for testing. I just got it up and running last night sent mail out with Pine then started fluxbox and got online with mozilla. Didn't seem all that hard to config. I sure hope the rest goes as well. I am going to run MYSQL, PHP, on Apache. Then load Joomla and give it a run.

cbchdude's photo
Wed 03/11/09 06:40 PM
OK so Uncle F and I have been having quite a time for sure. To be short one dead monitor, two dead CDRoms, two dead floppy drives, and one stick of ram up in smoke. I think dust had something to do with it. I took it completely apart, deep cleaned everything, rebuilt, added more ram and loaded DOS to give it a run.
I settled on Slackware 10.0 because the P233 is architecture 5. I stripped the DOS off and did a clean install so it is now a Linux box. Got the mail server running and sent mail out so it sees the network and internet so far. Apache and MYSQL db loaded with the install, we will see how that goes. PHP is on a cd ready to install after all that. Then I'll get back to the original topic here of loading Joomla and having a run at it.
Uncle F has been renamed Uncle Fester (for the LAMP Box) I found a photo of Fester doing his light bulb trick and I plan to use it somewhere on the server (maybe the home page) I have a client that wants to set up a fairly complex site so Joomla may be a good tool for that site. Will let you know how it all goes (if Uncle F doesn't decide to smoke something else on me).

cbchdude's photo
Thu 02/26/09 06:50 AM
OK now I've cleared the board, dug out Uncle Festus and ready to set up a LAMP box. Festus is a P233MMX w/ 64MB ram and a 6Gb drive. I am leaning towards gentoo and slackware but am also wondering if I should use one of the earlier versions on Linux I have (RH 6.0 era) I don't really need a lot of XDesktop and want to make sure I can run Apache, MYSQL, and PHP. Any input on this?

cbchdude's photo
Wed 02/11/09 03:09 AM
It's 65 right now in Cocoa Beach, should be a nice day. I think I'm going to go sit in my sandbox next to the big pond and watch the sunrise.

cbchdude's photo
Fri 02/06/09 05:42 PM
I'll buy your first drink. How are you tonight carold?

cbchdude's photo
Fri 02/06/09 05:28 PM
Sakes alive you all are moving fast tonight. I took a few moments to have some yard bird and check a few other forums and there is 3 pages to catch up on.
Yard bird is just that chicken. biggrin

cbchdude's photo
Fri 02/06/09 04:48 PM
Hey Tim and flame waving
Molson Ice is the choice tonight to compliment the yard bird, mac salad and baked beans.

cbchdude's photo
Fri 02/06/09 04:42 PM
That does sound so good. I'm just having some brew and yard bird tonight.

cbchdude's photo
Fri 02/06/09 04:39 PM
Tazz how have you been? I'm having a Friday night cold one myself and eying the humidor.

cbchdude's photo
Fri 02/06/09 04:36 PM
Now that the superbowl is over and done with the Chiefs end up with the Cardinal's Haley for their new head coach. The draft is certainly going to be a lot more interesting than originally I thought it would be. With Paoli's eye for recognizing talent, working with a young team, and a new coaching staff (there may be more heads that roll there) it should be a new beginning for the team. I'm not predicting another Cinderella team but a better season at least.

cbchdude's photo
Thu 02/05/09 07:13 PM
I think that's about it for me too folks. Good to see you all again!

cbchdude's photo
Thu 02/05/09 06:46 PM

Haven't had time to catch up with everything. Someone taking a cruise?
Hey flame how are you. Sure wish I had a fireplace right now.
Doing good, a fireplace sure does sound good about now. So how have you been doing?

Doing well, just read a funny email from one of my smart alack daughters.

cbchdude's photo
Thu 02/05/09 06:29 PM
Edited by cbchdude on Thu 02/05/09 06:30 PM
Haven't had time to catch up with everything. Someone taking a cruise?
Hey flame how are you. Sure wish I had a fireplace right now.

cbchdude's photo
Thu 02/05/09 06:22 PM
I've been busy with a couple of projects and putting my 2 cents worth in around the web as usual. Really cold down here not going out unless I have to.

cbchdude's photo
Thu 02/05/09 06:10 PM
Well good evening all! I thought I'd drop in and say hiwaving
Good to see you all are still up to the same old shenanigansbiggrin

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25