Community > Posts By > Brit36

Brit36's photo
Fri 03/15/19 07:13 PM

The first thing I did was to search NASA on the first moon colony.

Awesome, thank you kindly for all that information.

Do you think that the first child not born on Earth will be the start of an entirely different culture like some science fiction predicts?

Let's just say we have successfully made it to and set up habitats on the Moon, Mars and in the clouds of Venus.

A child born in a space habitat or on a different celestial body will be born with birth defects because of gravity.
There is no such thing as a gravity-free environment.
In planetary space it is what is called Micro-Gravity.
The entire solar system is under the influence of the gravity of the Sun's mass and the mass of other celestial bodies.

A zygote gestated in micro-gravity or Mars gravity has never been attempted.
There is no data on how it will effect the zygote's development.
How important is gravity to how a baby forms?
Will the gravity effect cell division?
Natural child birth would be very hard but not for the obvious reason.
The child would not turn head down because there would be no sense of down or up. How would muscles form, bone, glands, its all in the air as to what would happen.

But, lets say it was successful.
The Space Between Us (2017) explored the limitations of a child born on Mars. It wasn't very accurate but it did address some problems.

If a child was born in microG or 'other' gravity and lives long enough to develop intelligence it would be a religion nightmare to most of the planet.
The first child born that lived would be a science project.
It could never come to Earth.
It would have no rights, no authority of anything.
Eventually, It will happen but the first will be non-human in all the ways we call someone human.

Biology is definitely my weakest knowledge base, so i really appreciate all your insights. Although there are problems with centrifugal or centripetal gravity like the Coriolis effect. There is a way to create habitats with a radius of a hundred meters that can simulate one G at a safe enough pace. What effect that would have on a new born, i couldn't say and ethically would be against trying even if it would save later lives.

I consider that first child born in space to not have any human rights to be one of the worst things that can happen to an individual. I hope that gets addressed before any child is born in outer space because human rights should be universal to which government those people are led by no matter what planet a person is born on. Something like that would start a war and i really hope that human rights on and off offworld planets will be decided before any children are born off planet.

Will Mars or Venus be the first attempt at terraforming and/or should we try to terraform?

Terraforming a planet is fantasy from a reality perspective.
We may be able to understand the process need but planets are huge.
Again, gravity will play a part in the difficulty.
We know how elements react on Earth and in Earth's orbit but to change another world to have Earth-like features is not gunna happen.

The Earth was terraformed by nature.
It took billions of years to get it to this point.
Its not finished changing yet.
Its happening on an Earth-like planet under Earth-like conditions.

Mars is a Mars-like planet.
It has Mars-like conditions.
The same consideration stands for all the other celestial bodies in the solar system.
Even if we force a reaction, its gunna take a few billion years for the conditions to be similar to Earth.
That's if the planet can even support Earth-like conditions.
One good solar flare could blow all the terraforming back to square one.

Everything in Earth's system can be placed into one of four major subsystems: land, water, living things, or air. These four subsystems are called “spheres.” Specifically, they are the lithosphere (land), hydrosphere (water), biosphere (living things), and atmosphere (air). Each of these four spheres can be further divided into sub-spheres. To keep things simple in this course, there will be no distinction among the sub-spheres of any of the four major spheres.
http://www.cotf.edu/essc2/intro/spheres.html

To terraform another planet would require the 'spheres' of earth being transplanted.
The Biosphere is everything living and it all interacts with the planet according to Earth-like conditions.
You change those conditions and you change the nature of the 'spheres'.
The terraforming project will need all the interactions that are connected here on Earth. Thing is, how will plants root? How will bacteria move?
Will there be flies, mosquitoes, ants? How will these things interact with a different gravity?

Biodomes may be the only option.
Even biodomes would require a diverse interactive reaction of a complex system of 'spheres'. You will still have the problem of gravity defects to the flora and fauna in the domes.

Wow not only do you have great insights in biology with having the first child in space but your understanding of something so out of our reach as terraforming is just as interesting.

Mars not having a very good magnetic field would definitely hinder any progress in terraforming but i am sure something like that would be addressed before the process would begin. Wouldn't want to waste resources to have them completely fail because of the sun.

As said in the previous post to technovative I completely agree that long term Biodomes and/or habitats are the best way to go for our current understanding of survival on other planets.

Will mining be worth it for people like that if it happened in reality?

I think asteroid mining will be accomplished by remote.
I imagines automated factories that fly to, land, extract and move to the next one.
People won't even be required to ship the ore to Earth.
That could also be done by automation.

Just gotta remember one thing.
If you remove the mass of something, its gravity changes and so will its orbital path.
If you change the influence effect of gravity on a body its going to change its trajectory.
Mining asteroids could cause collisions that eventually starts another planetary bombardment period.
Space is funny like that.

Even if we calculate and carefully monitor one asteroid's trajectory, it will effect everything its gravity currently influences. It would cause a chain reaction of unknown events that could come back and bite us in the butt.
Plus you have the growing mass of ore causing a change in gravity at the storage facility. If you essentially put another moon in orbit around the Earth you are changing a whole lot of things in the Earth system.
If you manage to send that ore mass to the surface, you are changing Earth's mass. Again causing many unpredictable changes in the Earth-like system.

Right now, when we strip mine material, the mass stays on the Earth.
What we send into space is insignificant to the mass of the planet.
If we strip mine the Moon or an asteroid, we will be removing mass to another place. Otherwise, what would be the point?

I completely agree that we should be careful of the orbital velocities of asteroids but at the same time adding mass to Earth for stuff we need as far as non renewable resources would be worth the dangers of changing the orbital velocities of the planets and other big objects. Maybe there should be a solid limit to how many resources should be brought back in a year to be able to recalculate orbital velocities of the planets and other big objects in the solar system every year.

Brit36's photo
Fri 03/15/19 04:05 PM
Edited by Brit36 on Fri 03/15/19 04:26 PM

Will that boost further divide the poverty line from the extremely rich or will it boost the economy for everyone on the planet?

It's likely that most bullies will continue being bullies, and most of those making do and persevering will continue persevering.

I don't know if i would classify the extremely rich as bullies. They definitely use their money to influence and control people but whether that is for the good of mankind as a whole is debatable. I brought this question up because of liking the ideals that Star Trek brought up of an utopian culture and hoping to get the opinion whether an influx resources might help steer us in that direction. Obviously i am an optimistic person but not naive. The question was definitely more philosophical in nature than scientific but if there are any sociologist that have opinions about this subject that would be great too.

Do you think that the first child not born on Earth will be the start of an entirely different culture like some science fiction predicts?

Firstly, I'm open to the possibility that homo sapien sapien may have an extraterrestrial component in our ancestry. A modern human, being born outside of Thunderdome (Earth) is sure to have significant impact on human culture. There will be those who see it as "stepping out of bounds" and fear the consequences. For others it will be uplifting and hopeful.

Interesting. I always have thought since our atoms come from some huge star that exploded that, that would technically make us "alien" anyways but i get your point. Do you have a hypothesis of what the "extraterrestrial component" is like Transpermia or do you think it's more like our ancestors came from the stars and settled on this planet without preserving technology?

I for one am hoping for the uplifting and hopeful consequences mainly because I know living on multiple planets and\or moons will increase the likelihood of mankind surviving a catastrophe.

Will Mars or Venus be the first attempt at terraforming and/or should we try to terraform?

I think that terraforming a nearby planet, is just as out of reach, as traveling to the nearest "Goldilocks" planet is, at humanities current state of development. I think it's within our current ability to setup sealed long term habitats on the Moon or perhaps Mars. If it's done carefully and peacefully then I'm in favor of it.

Yeah the terraforming question was definitely one that our current level of technology can't answer yet but the idea of it, when we can, should be explored in my opinion. Considering i am a physicist and not an environmental scientist i don't think i know enough to give an opinion one way or another but i am interested in other's opinion about it. I completely agree with you about the long term habitats being primary for survival on planets that are inhospitable to human life.

Of course there is also the philosophical question of whether we should change a world for our benefit. There could be unforeseen consequences like a sentient race of beings living underground that could be accidentally killed by the terraforming process or like in the case of Mars the soil has harmful poisons that could be released into the thickening atmosphere that would make Mars even more inhospitable for us.

Brit36's photo
Wed 03/13/19 03:17 PM
A couple of days ago Nasa did a marketing campaign on Youtube with a bunch of short videos announcing that in the next decade they will be putting a colony on the moon to support future operations for manned Mars missions.

I want to preface this by saying that I would like conversations about both scientific and philosophical ramifications of our first offworld colony. Like for example the Helium three mining that will both be fuel for future space craft and a supplement to boost the worlds economy once the logistics are worked out.

Will that boost further divide the poverty line from the extremely rich or will it boost the economy for everyone on the planet?

Do you think once Nasa sets up a proper colony on Mars they will listen to most scientist and set up a cloud city on Venus to scoop up resources from Venus's atmosphere too?

Then there is the Asteriod belt which will be the most difficult and most rewarding to mine. In the Expanse television show with "belters" who formed an entirely different language with guttural sounds centered around spoty communications and because of no gravity extremely weak bodies compared to people on Earth after generations an interesting culture formed in my opinion. Will mining be worth it for people like that if it happened in reality?

Hopefully those conversation starters will get the ball rolling or if anyone else has questions or comments besides what I presented about this topic please feel free to present for a conversation.

Brit36's photo
Sun 03/03/19 09:52 AM
I definitely think, constantly, but not in the form of conversation with myself. Not sure if i can relate to having a conversation with myself. I don't really picture myself as a separate person.

Most of what i think about is philosophical or about physics which are like webs of thought strands leading in many directions some have dead ends leading to nothing while others continue on to infinity until finding a specific truth i am exploring with what i am thinking about.

Brit36's photo
Sun 03/03/19 09:20 AM
I used to sing mostly Jazz, blues, and rock in various places and for various bands before i got sick and lost a lot of my teeth. I miss it, now i mostly listen to Jazz24 online radio and sing along to it.

Brit36's photo
Sun 03/03/19 09:08 AM
I know i am seven pages too late for this, but in the context of this dating site, what i want in general is happiness, romantically. One of my probably many character flaws is, i can't really be happy if i don't have someone to share my life with in the romantic sense.

More specifically a woman who is a communicator because i am one, and a woman who can do things that i can't and i can do things she can't. A real partner in life who believes in equality where no one leads the relationship but both continue to make the relationship continue because they want to be together because they love each other.

Brit36's photo
Sat 03/02/19 10:51 PM
My philosophy revolves around hedonism not to the point of gluttony or the exclusion of other people's pleasure and I don't just mean sexual pleasure. Pleasure for myself and others, anything to avoid all pain for myself and avoid all pain for others, and helping the pursuit of happiness for my self and others guides my actions.

Inasmuch I treat people how I would like to be treated with politeness, respect, empathy, and understanding. The ironic thing is, I have been sick and in a lot of pain for years now, so not all pain can be avoided for me unfortunately. It's probably one of my character flaws of always being in search of that elusive time of no pain.

Brit36's photo
Sat 03/02/19 08:34 PM
How does one determine which personality type they are? Because I read them all and feel that I have personality traits in most of them. I am definitely Neutral good though considering it seems to fit me best.

Brit36's photo
Sat 03/02/19 08:17 PM
Yeah life has definitely been rough for me but it can only get better from here. Thank you kindly for the encouragement Blondey and i am glad you found my first post well done. waving shades

Brit36's photo
Sat 03/02/19 05:46 PM
Thank you kindly. I definitely plan on joining in with many conversations. I hope to be at least productive in this community, since i can't be very productive in mine.

Brit36's photo
Sat 03/02/19 05:31 PM
I'm not really new but this is my first time posting in the forum. Been using Mingle for years. I just stopped looking after i got sick like almost five years ago i think and now i am back. Hoping that maybe I can find romance even though i don't feel i am worthy of romance given my condition but I am a man who is optimistic and have hope for happiness. How is everyone?