Community > Posts By > EurohChic

EurohChic's photo
Tue 02/03/09 07:26 AM
Good for you! Hope you have a great time....that is a lot to cover in one trip however. If you've never been, you might be disappointed, especially on a tour as you are herded like cattle in and out and never get to REALLY experience it. A lot of people do those however to get a taste of several places and then go back and spend more time in their favorite. Just know, you will get the touristy highlights going that route.

If you have local travel groups or online forums, you might make some foreign friends (safely!) and consider an exchange - you go stay there, they come stay here! You get the tour by a local and spend time "living" like they do rather than shuffled from historic sight to the next. Just a thought..

I've heard Dubrovnic and Croatia is incredible - a real treat. I've not been but several have commented it was great. London - of course, a must see...too much to list. Be careful, as all those lovely lads will chat you up!! :) Be sure to try some fish and chips and hit a few pubs...you won't be disappointed! lol Italy - I could write a book..my favorite country. Spain - Madrid has some nice things to offer; have some paella, sangria and get outside the city and tour the castles/churches.

Be safe, be smart and most of all, have a blast!

EurohChic's photo
Tue 02/03/09 07:13 AM
Hi, heading to Banff for a long weekend and was wondering if anyone could recommend good places or must-sees? Restaurants, pubs, nightlife, etc...

Cheers!
drinker

EurohChic's photo
Tue 02/03/09 06:53 AM
Hi, I lived in Italy for 8 yrs and in 2007 went for a trip to Tuscany for 10 days by myself - the first time back in over 20 yrs!! It is the most beautiful and hospitable country on earth. :) Few tips, many in the major cities speak English but take a dictionary and at least attempt a few phrases. They appreciate it and are very good natured about our butchering of the language. Emerse yourself in the culture - in other words, don't be an obnoxious American. Be open, gracious and appreciative of their culture. Italians tend to dress better, in other words, you won't see folks in sweats. Khakis, nice slacks, polo or turtlenecks, button up shirts..ladies, heels likely aren't practical when you travel but sandals, boots, jeans are fine if paired with a nicer top. Generally, crime is minimal but be careful anyway - the bigger cities are known for pick pockets. ID theft is rampant everywhere, Europe is no exception. I took one of those money belts. The rural areas likely have less English speaking people so def should know some phrases. The Euro has made things more expensive than they used to be...they say Italians typically do not tip but use your judgment...I doubt it will be refused! We tipped most, tour guides, drivers, etc. Read up on the city before you go - some areas of town are likely known for more being more seedy so be smart. But all in all, have a fabulous time! The history, food, people, culture...it will be an experience you'll never forget! Buono viaggio!