Community > Posts By > mnhiker

mnhiker's photo
Tue 10/28/08 10:26 PM
http://nebent.com/pete/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/mccain_simpsons_2008.jpg

mnhiker's photo
Tue 10/28/08 10:24 PM

Adj4u,

I was hoping that you would explain something to me.

http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/2/5/6/9/8/p256986_index.html

could not find the other article i read but this is close to the same line of thought

sorry i should have saved a link

What about those of us who feel a McCain-Palin presidency is a lot more threatening than an Obama-Biden one?

Kind of blows that theory out of the water.

mnhiker's photo
Mon 10/27/08 10:31 PM

In my last post someone inferred that Mc Cain would be a better president cause he is more like a regular joe.

My question is, when did we as americans decide that we would settle for regular, ordinary, average or common people to lead us? Do we really want that in a time of crisis? Is regular joe code for something else? Where our founding fathers regular joes?

There are regular joes and there are sloppy joes.noway noway noway

mnhiker's photo
Mon 10/27/08 10:26 PM

Clothes & make up. For her and HER family...

Oct. 22) - The Republican National Committee has spent more than $150,000 to clothe and accessorize vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin and her family since her surprise pick by John McCain in late August.
According to financial disclosure records, the accessorizing began in early September and included bills from Saks Fifth Avenue in St. Louis and New York for a combined $49,425.74.
The records also document a couple of big-time shopping trips to Neiman Marcus in Minneapolis, including one $75,062.63 spree in early September.
The RNC also spent $4,716.49 on hair and makeup through September after reporting no such costs in August.
The cash expenditures immediately raised questions among campaign finance experts about their legality under the Federal Election Commission's long-standing advisory opinions on using campaign cash to purchase items for personal use.
Politico asked the McCain campaign for comment, explicitly noting the $150,000 in expenses for department store shopping and makeup consultation that were incurred immediately after Palin’s announcement. Pre-September reports do not include similar costs.
Spokeswoman Maria Comella declined to answer specific questions about the expenditures, including whether it was necessary to spend that much and whether it amounted to one early investment in Palin or if shopping for the vice presidential nominee was ongoing.
The campaign does not comment on strategic decisions regarding how financial resources available to the campaign are spent," she said.
But hours after the story was posted on Politico's website and legal issues were raised, the campaign issued a new statement.
"With all of the important issues facing the country right now, it’s remarkable that we’re spending time talking about pantsuits and blouses," said spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt. "It was always the intent that the clothing go to a charitable purpose after the campaign."
The business of primping and dressing on the campaign trail has become fraught with political risk in recent years as voters increasingly see an elite Washington out of touch with their values and lifestyles.
In 2000, Democrat Al Gore took heat for changing his clothing hues. And in 2006, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) was ribbed for two hair styling sessions that cost about $3,000.
Then, there was Democrat John Edwards’ $400 hair cuts in 2007 and Republican McCain’s $520 black leather Ferragamo shoes this year.
FEED
More from PoliticoMcCain ‘amazed’ by Palin treatment
RNC shells out $150K for Palin fashion
The generated international crisis?
No cavalry coming for McCain
McCain down in Va., up in Fla.
More StoriesA review of similar records for the campaign of Democrat Barack Obama and the Democratic National Committee turned up no similar spending.
But all the spending by other candidates pales in comparison to the GOP outlay for the Alaska governor whose expensive, designer outfits have been the topic of fashion pages and magazines.
What hasn’t been apparent is where the clothes came from – her closet back in Wasilla or from the campaign coffers in Washington.
The answer can be found inside the RNC’s September monthly financial disclosure report under “itemized coordinated expenditures.”
It’s a report that typically records expenses for direct mail, telephone calls and advertising. Those expenses do show up, but the report also has a new category of spending: “campaign accessories.”
September payments were also made to Barney’s New York ($789.72) and Bloomingdale’s New York ($5,102.71).
Macy’s in Minneapolis, another store fortunate enough to be situated in the Twin Cities that hosted last summer’s Republican National Convention, received three separate payments totaling $9,447.71.
The entries also show a few purchases at Pacifier, a top notch baby store, and Steiniauf & Stroller Inc., suggesting $295 was spent to accommodate the littlest Palin to join the campaign trail.
An additional $4,902.45 was spent in early September at Atelier, a high-class shopping destination for men.

Just a drop in the bucket compared to the wholesale fleecing the Bush Administration has been doing for the past 8 years.

explode explode

mnhiker's photo
Mon 10/27/08 10:22 PM

who else thinks a few polititions should stand trial for there crimes?

How about a few bank executives and hedge fund managers? noway :angry:

mnhiker's photo
Fri 10/24/08 09:15 PM

Many people in the blogosphere and radio are speculating that voters support Barack Obama for purely superficial reasons and are not knowledgeable about his stated policies or what he will do if when elected.

Obama is certainly a made for TV presidential candidate and it appears that is why most people are going to vote for him. It is true his supporters can tell you much about his GQ good looks and his engaging speaking style. You can be sure to be informed that he will bring change. I suppose they mean change from the disastrous eight years of neocon rule. But when it comes to specifics on what kind of change the image becomes hazy and they mostly say, “he will end the war.” or “fix the economy.” If you attempt to inquire further to how this will be done you will be met with a blank stare.

It is amazing that Obama is able to pass as the peace candidate as Obama himself has said he is in favor of expanding the war in Afghanistan and entering a war with Pakistan. And in his speeches he frequently talks about how the young should enlist in the military and that women should be forced to register for the draft.

Obama supporters are caught up in a cult of personality and are not really aware of Barack’s real policies. To show people just how out of touch with reality most Obama supporters are Howard Stern had one of his flunkies go out into the streets of New York and interview Obama supporters on what they liked about his political policies. Specifically if they supported certain positions such as, keeping troops in Iraq, opposing abortion and stem cell research. They do.

The video reveals the disconnect between reality and the personality cult Obama has attracked. Each of the above policies belong to Barack’s opponent John McCain. The Obama supporters are so oblivious to the real state of American politics that they even believe Sarah Palin will make a fine Vice President for Barack Obama.

Video: Howard Stern Show - Obama voters are clueless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyvqhdllXgU

Too bad someone didn't go out with a microphone and camera to interview some of the misguided John McCain/Sarah Palin supporters.

They believe the lies that we will be made more vulnerable to a terrorist attack if Obama gets in, that Obama is a Muslim, etc...

So if there's a disconnect between Obama supporters and their political understanding, then there is a much larger disconnect with McCain voters.

mnhiker's photo
Mon 10/20/08 02:28 PM

rofl I think its hilarious how a pres candidate took something a ran with it without having his staff research him first! rofl

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

He didn't 'vet' Sarah Palin too hard, either!!!

mnhiker's photo
Mon 10/20/08 02:11 PM

I think it blows a hole in the fact that alot of people don't seem to actually know what Obama stands for. They're just voting in a form of the Cult of Personality.

Thanks Drivin' I always try to be thought provoking...if nothing else.

Isn't there also a cult of personality for Sarah Palin?

People back her because she speaks against Obama, or because she's a hockey mom, or because she kept her child, even though it has Down's Syndrome, or a number of reasons that have nothing to do with being a VP or President if anything should happen to John McCain due to health reasons.

Not much reason for supporting a VP candidate.

mnhiker's photo
Tue 10/14/08 08:13 PM

snowball drinker

smiless how will you know if someone votes twice?

I will do my best to keep track!

is snowball mccain? Sorry I am slow in that departmentlaugh

when I hear snowball it makes me think of mccains hair???

No, its my cat, Snowball =D

Snowball.

I mean, Obama!

Damn, wish I never named my deceased cat Snowball.

I have a deceased cat named Snowball too. It was my cat when I was a child.

seems like a popular cat's name! lol

Actually, she was named by the son of a woman I was dating at the time and the name stuck.

He named her after Lisa Simpson's cat.

mnhiker's photo
Tue 10/14/08 08:07 PM
Edited by mnhiker on Tue 10/14/08 08:08 PM

snowball drinker

smiless how will you know if someone votes twice?

I will do my best to keep track!

is snowball mccain? Sorry I am slow in that departmentlaugh

when I hear snowball it makes me think of mccains hair???

No, its my cat, Snowball =D

Snowball.

I mean, Obama!

Damn, wish I never named my deceased cat Snowball.

mnhiker's photo
Tue 10/14/08 08:06 PM
Edited by mnhiker on Tue 10/14/08 08:06 PM
My IRA dropped 20% in a half week.

How are YOUR investments doing and how does that make you feel?grumble grumble

mnhiker's photo
Tue 10/14/08 08:03 PM

President Palin happy She would be the Hottest President the US has ever hadflowerforyou flowerforyou love

Hate to break it to you, but she's not running for President.

She's running for VP.

mnhiker's photo
Tue 10/14/08 07:55 PM
Edited by mnhiker on Tue 10/14/08 07:56 PM

I don't think that everyone should get Social Security or Medicare.

If you make over $100,000 a year, you don't need Social Security.

It was supposed to be a safety net, not an extra giveaway for greedy millionaires.

How much more money we could come up with if we got rid of this giveaway.

"""""not an extra giveaway for greedy millionaires."""""

it is not a give away program

check your pay stub

it is an insurance policy the general public is forced to participate in (govt employees and elected officials hvae their own [imagine that] maybe they should have to rely on social security that would fix it real quick)

it is really annoying how so many think social security is a type of welfare program -- when it is a paid for insurance policy

if you wreck your car and take money from the insurance company (is that a type of welfare program)

21% of the budget goes to Social Security.

Check out the original bill:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=13595

Again, not supposed to be a GIVEAWAY to millionaires and billionaires, they don't need it, never HAVE, never WILL.

Insurance companies are private entities, not tied to the government, it's like comparing apples with oranges.

mnhiker's photo
Tue 10/14/08 07:48 PM

Okay, here's another eye opener for McCain supporters.

McCain's top transition aide lobbied for Saddam Hussein.

Yeppers...funny stuff eh?

Here's a small bit of the article.

William Timmons, the Washington lobbyist who John McCain has named to head his presidential transition team, aided an influence effort on behalf of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein to ease international sanctions against his regime.

The two lobbyists who Timmons worked closely with over a five year period on the lobbying campaign later either pleaded guilty to or were convicted of federal criminal charges that they had acted as unregistered agents of Saddam Hussein's government.

During the same period beginning in 1992, Timmons worked closely with the two lobbyists, Samir Vincent and Tongsun Park, on a previously unreported prospective deal with the Iraqis in which they hoped to be awarded a contract to purchase and resell Iraqi oil. Timmons, Vincent, and Park stood to share at least $45 million if the business deal went through.

Timmons' activities occurred in the years following the first Gulf War, when Washington considered Iraq to be a rogue enemy state and a sponsor of terrorism. His dealings on behalf of the deceased Iraqi leader stand in stark contrast to the views his current employer held at the time.

John McCain strongly supported the 1991 military action against Iraq, and as recently as Sunday described Saddam Hussein as a one-time menace to the region who had "stated categorically that he would acquire weapons of mass destruction, and he would use them wherever he could."

Timmons declined to comment for this story. An office manager who works for him said that he has made it his practice during his public career to never speak to the press. Timmons previously told investigators that he did not know that either Vincent or Park were acting as unregistered agents of Iraq. He also insisted that he did not fully understand just how closely the two men were tied to Saddam's regime while they collaborated.

But testimony and records made public during Park's criminal trial, as well as other information uncovered during a United Nations investigation, suggest just the opposite. Virtually everything Timmons did while working on the lobbying campaign was within days conveyed by Vincent to either one or both of Saddam Hussein's top aides, Tariq Aziz and Nizar Hamdoon. Vincent also testified that he almost always relayed input from the Iraqi aides back to Timmons.

Talking points that Timmons produced for the lobbyists to help ease the sanctions, for example, were reviewed ahead of time by Aziz, Vincent testified in court. Proposals that Timmons himself circulated to U.S. officials as part of the effort were written with the assistance of the Iraqi officials, and were also sent ahead of time with Timmons' approval to Aziz, other records show.

Moreover, there was a major financial incentive at play for Timmons. The multi-million dollar oil deal that he was pursuing with the two other lobbyists would only be possible if their efforts to ease sanctions against Iraq were successful.
Story continues at:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/14/mccain-transition-chief-a_n_134595.html

Truth, as they say, is stranger than fiction.

Whoever 'they' are. ohwell

mnhiker's photo
Tue 10/14/08 07:46 PM
Yesterday it was Bill Ayers.

A few months ago it was Rev. Wright.

Now it's ACORN.

What will it be tommorrow?

People are such sheep.

Maybe the press should report more about John McCain's past.

Like his wife stealing meds from the nonprofit she worked for.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/1999/10/18/drugs/

John McCain's association with the Keating Five.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/election/mccain/articles/2007/03/01/20070301mccainbio-chapter7.html

What really happened on the U.S.S. Forrestal?

http://judicial-inc.biz/82jjohn_mccain_and_the_uss_forresta.htm

Barack Obama has been pillaged constantly by the media while John McCain gets a pass.

Why is that?

mnhiker's photo
Tue 10/14/08 07:39 PM

"That One".grumble grumble

Right.

John McCain should be ashamed of himself for referring to a fellow Senator in that manner.

And not only that, for letting his VP spread irrational fear and hatred with that Bill Ayers crap.

mnhiker's photo
Mon 10/13/08 07:01 PM
A lot of people won't vote for a black president because, let's face it, they're racists.

Oh, they might deny it, but there are more concealed than overt types of racism.

mnhiker's photo
Mon 10/13/08 06:58 PM
How about construction?

Building roads and bridges would really help the country's infrastructure.

mnhiker's photo
Mon 10/13/08 06:47 PM
Edited by mnhiker on Mon 10/13/08 06:48 PM
I don't think that everyone should get Social Security or Medicare.

If you make over $100,000 a year, you don't need Social Security.

It was supposed to be a safety net, not an extra giveaway for greedy millionaires.

How much more money we could come up with if we got rid of this giveaway.

mnhiker's photo
Mon 10/06/08 07:37 PM

It is funny to hear the critiques older people have about the materialism many younger people worship, but where or who did they get it from? Thought this might be a welcome break from the back bitting of yesterday.

What?! I missed backbiting?! laugh

I've been to busy trying to keep up with the Joneses.

whoa

materialism. we all have material needs. food, clothing,
medicine, and shelter. some feel like they need other
fancier things but they don't really.

and as very many unhappy rich people will tell you,
there is more to life. friendship and love. family and
children. relationships. affection. things which are
inherently not salable.

no point to debate it.

laugh but that never stopped them from trying

laugh

1 2 3 4 6 8 9 10 24 25