Community > Posts By > mnhiker

mnhiker's photo
Tue 09/30/08 09:07 PM

by Laurence Vance at September 30, 2008 07:26 PM

Whenever I write about the military, my critics are usually people that are not in the military and have never been in the military. Most of the military people and ex-military people that write me say that what I write is true: they were duped, the military is no place for a Christian, they are ashamed that they killed for Uncle Sam, the troops are responsible for their actions, etc., etc., etc.

For example, in response to my recent article, "The Blame Game," a veteran wrote me this:

Just a quick note, I am a veteran of the Submarine force. I have to agree with you that every person is responsible for their actions, no matter what organization they are a part of. By this logic, it seems ethically wrong to fight any war. I was all set to sign on for another 6 years, go to Explosive Ordinance Explosive and go save some lives. I started reading LRC and realized that there is another option in this life, peace. I started to understand that one man can make a difference, and I decided to leave the military. There are times that I miss the friends, and fun that I passed up. I would be going up for Chief (E-7) for the first time by about now, but instead I am working, going to school and training for sport. I am glad that I was able to vote with my feet and no longer support the war machine. I am actually considering leaving the country to ensure that my productivity is no longer stolen to support war, or wall street fat cats.
Thank You

Matt

Well, I was in the Navy for 4 years, including 2 Persian Gulf tours.

I understand that when you are in the military and you are given an order, you have to carry it out.

There may be certain situations when you can refuse to obey an unlawful order, but you'd better be 100% sure of yourself, because otherwise there will be hell to pay.

It's sometime hard for people who have never served in the military to understand this.

If you don't, ask someone who's been in the military or is currently serving and they will explain it for you.

mnhiker's photo
Mon 09/29/08 06:18 PM
I won't apologize for having a friend who isn't white.

mnhiker's photo
Mon 09/29/08 06:11 PM
The absolutely worst thing to do in this situation is panic.

I would rather our representatives think long and hard about who they're going to bail out and how than just giving away more money.

Think of it this way:

If you own a business and make bad business decisions and it goes under, would you expect the government to give you money?

Unfortunately, many people that had little or nothing to do with these bad decisions could be affected so I guess they're going to have to make some kind of deal.

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 10:42 PM
Maybe McCain can get to the bottom of all this mess.

After all, he's buddies with the people who created it in the first place:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122221440058969313.html

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 10:26 PM
Edited by mnhiker on Thu 09/25/08 10:27 PM
Every stupid pronouncement that comes out of this woman's mouth will hurt McSame's campaign.

Too bad Republicans are stuck with the McCain-Palin ticket.

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 10:23 PM
Edited by mnhiker on Thu 09/25/08 10:24 PM

haha Okay, more answers from Palin!

WTF is this????

COURIC: Why isn’t it better, Governor Palin, to spend $700 billion helping middle-class families struggling with health care, housing, gas and groceries? … Instead of helping these big financial institutions that played a role in creating this mess?

PALIN: Ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up the economy– Oh, it’s got to be about job creation too. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions.

i am so confused

This woman has absolutely NO answers.

Only dodges and the usual Republican lies.

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 10:00 PM
Edited by mnhiker on Thu 09/25/08 10:00 PM

Don't forget it only took her six schools to get her degree.

Wonder who she had to...umm nm

Maybe she bought it on the internet.

http://www.ashwooduniversity.net/ashwood/online-degrees/buy-a-degree.asp

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 09:57 PM
Let's just throw a bunch of money at the problem and not even think much about it. And do it quick because it's an election year. explode

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 09:53 PM

what makes obama qualified then? hes black? i know thats why a TON of people voted for him, he got anyhting else on the table? lets see controversy...... check...... ahh! a pastor who HATES white folks!.......check!.....hmmm......just shy of a decade of real political experience....check!

Because he's black? Is that the only thing that you see when you look at him?

I don't see his color when he talks. I want to hear what he has to say.

I never thought I'd see the day when the race card would be played by rich, privileged, white Republicans.

They attack a black Presidential candidate, not directly, but by attacking his preacher.

What will it be tommorrow?

They are getting very desperate.

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 09:43 PM

Perhaps you could have titled your thread Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 09:41 PM

not if you werent meeting with foreign leaders. and basing policy on those interactions. i dont mind obama, but selecting change just for the sake of change is dangerous waters.

and assaulting palin becuase her family has issues damn near 3/4 of american families have is just stupid, if anyhtign it makes her more likeable in my opinion.

Oh, she's likeable.

Runner up to Miss Alaska, somebody must have liked her.

A lot of mentally challenged adults are likable.

But what makes her qualified to run the country if McCain kicked the bucket?

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 09:34 PM

nope just see them as i check out at the grocery, leave her alone for christ sake. shes done nothing to you but be picked to be VP if mc cain wins. theres no need to pick on her, and im SURe she has more FP experience than you do my friend.

Does going to the Persian Gulf twice, Guantanamo Bay, France, Kenya, Pakistan and living a year in Spain count as foreign policy experience? All Sarah Palin has done is live close to Russia.

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 09:33 PM
Edited by mnhiker on Thu 09/25/08 09:35 PM

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 09:29 PM

unlike obama? i STILL have yet to hear him explain what his change means EXACTLY. why is everyone picking on her? i bet youre one of those people who reads the tabloids about her pregnant daughter.

Sorry, I don't read tabloids.

I guess you do. ohwell

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 09:24 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26884523/page/2/

Excerpt:

'When Couric asked how Alaska's closeness to Russia enhanced
her foreign policy experience, Palin said, "Well, it
certainly does because our ... our next-door neighbors are
foreign countries." Alaska shares a border with Canada.'

Did this woman just fall out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down?

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 09:15 PM
Bush Jr. whines that something has to be done about the economy his policies have almost destroyed, and John McCain suspends his debate with Obama to sit like a silent useless lump in committee and do next to nothing.

He probably thought he had a lot to lose debating Obama, so he chickened out.

The Republicans are getting really desperate.

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 08:55 PM

years of experience ?

she'll do just fine...my little Liberals...remember...

as we can see kiddies...Gov. Palin [" 8 " years ]has as much or more experience then :
Taylor-0
Grant-0
Authur-0
Lincoln-2
Hayes-2
T.Roosvelt-2
Wilson-2
Cleveland-3
Carter-4
Bush-6
Harrison-6
Taft-6
Hoover-7
Coolige-7
Regan-8

ps: may I remind you...SHE'S NOT RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT !!!
and...BARRY UMBAMA IS !!!!

But WHAT experience?

Soccer mom doesn't count.

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 08:52 PM

Bill Clinton: I won't dump on McCain
Sep 24 04:21 PM US/Eastern

WASHINGTON (AP) - Former President Clinton says if Democrats want someone to dump on John McCain, he's not the guy.

Some members of his party have been complaining that Clinton has not been enthusiastic enough in his support for Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama, who defeated Clinton's wife in the primary campaign, and heaping too much praise on McCain.

But Clinton told CNN's "Larry King Live" on Wednesday that he doesn't think "dumping" on McCain or his running mate, Sarah Palin, is a winning strategy. He said undecided voters aren't interested in attacks but solutions for the problems they face.

"I just don't believe that getting up here and hyperventilating about Gov. Palin, or Sen. McCain for that matter, is a productive use of a former president's time and is not a vote-getter," he said, adding that he admires McCain even though he disagrees with several of his positions.

Clinton said he and his wife, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York, gave vigorous endorsements to Obama at the national convention last month and that Hillary Clinton has traveled extensively on Obama's behalf. That includes a tour of Michigan on Saturday.

"I think you can argue that she has done more than all other runner-ups have in the Democratic Party in 40 years," the former president said. "We have been quite clear on this. We're not party-wreckers, and we believe that the country needs to take a different course."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D93DA43G1&show_article=1

Funny thing is I have read a few articles were Clinton has defended McCain, You think he is come to the good side?

Bill Clinton isn't running for President.

And his wife's still stumping for Obama. ohwell

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 08:51 PM

McCain has not postponed his campaign. He has only said he is. It is impossible to stop your campaign at this point in the race. Anything he does is for his political gain. The proof of that is right here in this thread. People are championing him for putting his race on hold... but the fact you are cheering him says it has never stopped, the fact he keeps making statements to the media, the fact that hours after saying he was hitting the pause button he was on ABC News with Katie Curic (SP), The Fact he only showed up on the Hill after a deal had already been struck by other senators.

What we all need to understand is the politics is a chess game. Any move made, even a move backwards, is for the advancement of the main goal... win the election.

this isnt a digg at McCain for doing what he did... in chess you play to win, simple... but if you cant see what he is doing then there is a problem.

That is a good analysis regarding the situation.

I am curious as to what you think about McCain and the Dave Letterman situation?

I think that McCain didn't play that correctly. It is essentially a non issue to cancel your appearance on Letterman in favor of being on an actual News show. The problem comes in when Mcain personally tells Letterman how urgent it is that he get back to the hill.

Its like you have a date with a really hot girl and she calls you an hour before and cancels because he mother is in the hospital... so you decide to go out by yourself and you see this girl at a restaurant making out with someone.

It would have served McCain to be more forthcoming and this wouldn't even be a news story.

It could be that some of these 'facts' listed above are not quite 'facts'.

A deal had not been struck. Several on both sides of the house have said that. (depends on which news service you watch, ain't that a hoot.)

What statements has McCain made to the media since arriving on the hill. Only statements I have seen have been from Obama...

Who's grandstanding...

Every last person that has the word politician attached to his/her job discription.

I don't rightly care if they grandstand as long a it benefits the US of A.

"(depends on which news service you watch, ain't that a hoot.)" also depends on who is telling you the truth. the problem with bias is that people think the cure to bias is more bias... fox news is bias... the cure is not msnbc... the cure is NO BIAS!

fact of the matter Sen. Dodd and his bi-partisan comity met on the hill Monday or Tuesday to hear about the bailout plan. It would seem to me that from that a plan of action was determined if not a deal. Why Mcain wasnt there i dont know... but he admitted Tuesday he haddn't even read the bailout plan

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

mnhiker's photo
Thu 09/25/08 08:48 PM

Liberals always see as IQ as the path to a great presidency...how misunderstood...instinct...judgement...character...honesty...principles...grounded...leadership...passion...strength...these are just some of the qualities that make a GREAT president...

is it too much to ask that, someone who is going to run the most powerful nation in the world, know something about the world? is it too much to ask that that person be asked tough questions and be tested as to how they react to those tough questions? we don't know what Palins instincts, judgment, character, and principles are. she had done something like 3 interviews. and has done fairly poorly in those.

is it at all possible that we get some sort of understanding why she is qualified to potentially be president of the united states???

According to the ABC News/Wall Street Journal Poll
Are the VP candidates qualified to be president if the need arises

Sarah Palin 40% yes.... Joe Biden 64% yes

Looks like she PALES in comparison.

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 10 11 12 24 25