Community > Posts By > peggy122

peggy122's photo
Thu 11/30/17 10:44 AM
Edited by peggy122 on Thu 11/30/17 10:58 AM
Now that a growing number of powerful male figures are being held accountable for sexual misconduct towards women in the workplace , I'm wondering how male-female relationships in the workplace are going to evolve?

For example, do you think that work interactions between males and females could become robotic or strained as men grow anxious about potential sexual accusations from women that could end their career ?

Or could there be a counter-movement of men lobbying against raunchy comments/innuendos/ogling initiated by women towards men?

Will some women be recruited to replace men in executive positions , as a growing number of lawsuits against men present a financial risk to elite corporations ?

What do you envision for the future of gender relations in the workplace in light of the current accountability trend for sexual misconduct?

peggy122's photo
Thu 11/30/17 09:33 AM
I will be spending time with family, just cooking and hanging out together. The Christmas Tree is up.I will be moving it into the living room and lighting it up soon :)

peggy122's photo
Wed 11/29/17 01:54 PM

Just how valid is an evidence or witness to the actual truth of the crime?
Is the judgement based on the validity of the evidence or the predisposition of those who consider it?

This is my fear Tom. It's beginning to dawn on me how little weight evidence seems to hold in a court of law when prosecuting a crime. It depresses the hell out of me :(

Yes Peggy, it can be depressing but it is obviously an old question.
The film was released in 1957.

In 1976 Quincy M.E. TV show explored the concept of forensic pathology. It gave the public a dramatic look at the world of science in determining guilt. This 'view' being updated periodically with other shows like the multiple CSI series.
Then you had a series of courtroom dramas that further exposed the public to legal terms, each shifted to a different agenda.

Personal prejudices directly affect our decision making. In real life, 12 jurors are asked to put aside those prejudices to make a determination of guilt or innocence based on the facts as presented by the court. They are being placed with the responsibility to affect not only a person but possibly set a precedence on how other will be judged in the future.
All based on the ability to disregard their own prejudices.
In a perfect world, that might work. In the actual world, evidence might be ignored or given less credence without intent. This sways the impact of the evidence.

This is why despite damning evidence, some go free or are dismissed where others are sentenced in innocence. It is an involuntary reflex to personal bias. If a percentage of the jurors have reasonable doubt there can be conflict in the verdict that results in an inaccurate verdict of convenience.

Its also why sometimes a guilty person, with evidence that proves their guilt is dismissed from the charges. The jury is sympathetic to extenuating circumstances of the case. Evidence is less of a determining factor.

But... consider the alternative. If every case were decided robotically by the evidence gathered and presented who would be truly innocent and just whom would be truly guilty in all cases?
What a cold, cruel, compassionless world that would be. It wouldn't only depress me it would scare the hell out of me.

But Tom ...Because of the personsl prejudices you described, people are very selective about the people they ultimately bestow compassion on. There is always talk about context and extenuating circumstances that should be factored into the consideration of a case ... until thd slleged offender us someone towards someone the jury might be wired to disapprove of. How often id that offender given the benefit of the doubt in the mudst of "context and extenuating curcumstances" ?

peggy122's photo
Wed 11/29/17 01:54 PM
Edited by peggy122 on Wed 11/29/17 02:12 PM

Is the judgement based on the validity of the evidence or the predisposition of those who consider it?

This is my fear Tom. It's beginning to dawn on me how little weight evidence seems to hold in a court of law when prosecuting a crime. It depresses the hell out of me :(

Yes Peggy, it can be depressing but it is obviously an old question.
The film was released in 1957.

In 1976 Quincy M.E. TV show explored the concept of forensic pathology. It gave the public a dramatic look at the world of science in determining guilt. This 'view' being updated periodically with other shows like the multiple CSI series.
Then you had a series of courtroom dramas that further exposed the public to legal terms, each shifted to a different agenda.

Personal prejudices directly affect our decision making. In real life, 12 jurors are asked to put aside those prejudices to make a determination of guilt or innocence based on the facts as presented by the court. They are being placed with the responsibility to affect not only a person but possibly set a precedence on how other will be judged in the future.
All based on the ability to disregard their own prejudices.
In a perfect world, that might work. In the actual world, evidence might be ignored or given less credence without intent. This sways the impact of the evidence.

This is why despite damning evidence, some go free or are dismissed where others are sentenced in innocence. It is an involuntary reflex to personal bias. If a percentage of the jurors have reasonable doubt there can be conflict in the verdict that results in an inaccurate verdict of convenience.

Its also why sometimes a guilty person, with evidence that proves their guilt is dismissed from the charges. The jury is sympathetic to extenuating circumstances of the case. Evidence is less of a determining factor.

But... consider the alternative. If every case were decided robotically by the evidence gathered and presented who would be truly innocent and just whom would be truly guilty in all cases?
What a cold, cruel, compassionless world that would be. It wouldn't only depress me it would scare the hell out of me.

But Tom ...Because of the personal prejudices you described, people are very selective about the people they ultimately bestow compassion upon. There is always talk about context and extenuating circumstances that should be factored into the consideration of a case ... until the alleged offender is someone that the jury might be wired to disapprove of. How often is that offender given the benefit of the doubt in the midst of "context and extenuating curcumstances" ?

peggy122's photo
Wed 11/29/17 01:39 PM

what evidence/circumstances qualifies him as guilty in the court of law?

Actus reus, mens rea, beyond a reasonable doubt, and attendant circumstances, usually.
Different aspects weigh different amounts in consideration.
Depends on the crime or offense.
Civil? Criminal? Federal? State? Local? Misdemeanor? Felony?
Exactly which law was violated and where?
And what is the exact wording and terminology of the law(s)/statute(s) alleged to be broken?

Why is there still so much doubt regarding alleged crimes?

Because law (in the U.S. at least, generally) is predicated on "it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
And "Innocent until proven guilty."
Which pushes the burden of proof primarily on prosecutors to prove someone did something, rather than defenders having to prove they didn't do something, or prove someone else did it.
Better for the innocent to go in with doubt, rather already tried and goalseek.

Being found not guilty doesn't mean someone didn't do it. Only that the prosecutor didn't sufficiently provide everything necessary that the law dictates is necessary in order for the government to have authority to release its power against the alleged perpetrator.

Other than that, I don't know from whose perspective you mean "doubt."
The judge? Jury? Prosecutor? Defendant? Family members on one side or the other? Victim? Or just the general population? People that only watch Law and Order on t.v. and believe that's an accurate portrayal of the legal system? People whose only exposure to the legal system is via television and media like Yahoo!news or court t.v. or a movie on Netflix?

What qualifies an alleged offender as guilty these days, short of admission?

A costly (in time and money) process.

Also, do you understand the difference between admission and plea?

legally, the only real qualifier is consensus on the grounds that are explained to them in their jury instructions.

That's not all that true.
A judge can overrule a jury.
But only towards not guilty or mistrial.
If a jury finds someone not guilty a judge can't declare them guilty, only judge a mistrial and have it potentially retried. If the jury finds someone guilty, a judge can overrule them and declare the defendant not guilty.

Not to mention the judge still has final say (generally, unless the state/law has mandatory minimums or amounts) on sentencing. Amount of jail time, how much money is awarded, etc.
So, theoretically at least, someone can be found guilty, but receive absolutely no penalties or punishments whatsoever.

I understand what you are saying ciretom. It just seems like all these twists and turns of extenuating circumstances, the phrasing of laws etc seem to be giant technical caveats in the dispensation of justice ;(

peggy122's photo
Wed 11/29/17 11:52 AM
Edited by peggy122 on Wed 11/29/17 12:03 PM

I think the weight of evidence sometimes qualifies

You really think so joe? Its crazy how many criminals go free even after all the provocative DNA, cell footage and testimonies have been submitted. It's mind-boggling!

peggy122's photo
Wed 11/29/17 11:46 AM

The problem with DNA is it only proves that either a person was present someplace or that someone who was around that person at some point was present

because DNA can be transferred from place to place

and mere presence isn't enough to have guilt 'beyond a reasonable doubt' particularly if it is any place that the accused is known to frequent.

I definitely think DNA should not be allowed to stand on its own. It should be consolidated with other evidence as well

peggy122's photo
Wed 11/29/17 11:41 AM

Apart from an alleged offender confessing his crime, what evidence/circumstances qualifies him as guilty in the court of law?

I would think that one of the major glitches in confirming guilt in the past, was the lack of witnesses at the scene of a crime.

Now we have an overwhelming amount of phone cam footage , incriminating statements immortalised in texts or emails along with character witnesses.

there is no real qualifier, its all perception of those on the jury. perception of how 'likely' it is that something is true of the person they are observing and how likely it is that those testifying are honest and genuine.

they say if there is means, motive, and opportunity

legally, the only real qualifier is consensus on the grounds that are explained to them in their jury instructions.

And this worries me Ms H, that juries can be so easily swayed by the right pupeteering of a skilful lawyer

peggy122's photo
Sun 11/26/17 01:56 PM

Maybe the alleged offender's fingerprints all over the crime scene with no other's present?
OJ Simpson left his DNA and it did not help.
you can thank the LAPD for that... About as incompetent as a bunch of monkeys collecting evidence...

...And the fact that celebrities are seldom subjected to the full fist of the law for their offenses

peggy122's photo
Sun 11/26/17 01:53 PM

peggy122's photo
Sun 11/26/17 01:49 PM

Maybe the alleged offender's fingerprints all over the crime scene with no other's present?
OJ Simpson left his DNA and it did not help.

EXACTLY indifferent

peggy122's photo
Sun 11/26/17 08:50 AM

Hummm beyond proof or admission or evidence that proves beyond a shadow of doubt nothing does...

Even if you know one is guilty with out those things then it is up to each to judge as they feel fit...

If they admit to a crime and they give certain details facts that actually ties them to the crime that is all it would take..

Just like the lady that sent bombs to Obama at one time and to another.. It took evidence in order to link her to the packages.. This was just on tv this morning the evidence that may convict her is cat hair... Yes I said cat hair on the devices think it was some tape she used had cat hairs on the tape with DNA ect they have linked it to one of her cats...

So sometimes it is a small thing like cat hair that may convict a person...I'm sure they found more things but that was one of the main factors..

But unless they found more then that she could get off, if the cat at any time went outside even that could be disputed due to who knows where else that cat might call home..

Makes sense Kristi. DNA evidence like finger prints, hair strands etc do count, but look how easily evidence like that cold be overlooked in favor of other "reasonable doubts " that can be manipulated by the right Lawyer eg the mere fit of a glove circa OJ Simpson's case

peggy122's photo
Sun 11/26/17 08:43 AM

that's true Poetry writer

Fingerprints are a good qualification unless its a crime of words ...

peggy122's photo
Sun 11/26/17 07:37 AM
Edited by peggy122 on Sun 11/26/17 07:42 AM
Apart from an alleged offender confessing his crime, what evidence/circumstances qualifies him as guilty in the court of law?

I would think that one of the major glitches in confirming guilt in the past, was the lack of witnesses at the scene of a crime.

Now we have an overwhelming amount of phone cam footage , incriminating statements immortalised in texts or emails along with character witnesses.

peggy122's photo
Sat 11/25/17 05:24 PM
Edited by peggy122 on Sat 11/25/17 05:49 PM
I venture to guess that more than 50% of the people looking for someone special haven't yet found him/her YET. We could blame it on any number of things from height to weight, to facial imperfections to character flaws blah blah blah....

Im not sure if any of that matters. The fact that so many struggle to find love whether they are short or not should tell you that compatable chemistry is challenging to find.

Accept it . Work on being the best you that you can be including your confidence, and let the cards fall where they may. Being single is not the worst thing in the world :)

Be the architect of the best single life you can create , and who knows what that awesome energy will attract down the road ?

peggy122's photo
Thu 11/23/17 04:38 PM
Happy Thankgiving everyone!drinker

peggy122's photo
Thu 11/23/17 12:51 PM
Edited by peggy122 on Thu 11/23/17 01:00 PM
Ive seen short men and even men who were deemed as unattractive date some awesome women, and the qualities those men had in common were charisma, confidence and a kick azz sense of humor.

Its a rare combo but Ive found that women are quite drawn to it almost regardless of the height or look of the package it comes in.

peggy122's photo
Thu 11/23/17 03:06 AM
Travel for sure!

peggy122's photo
Wed 11/22/17 04:28 PM

Guilty or innocent, he should withdraw.

welcome to the land of reason!

drinks

and so should Al Frankin drinks

If a standard is going to be set for all, shouldn't President Trump resign too? Doesn't he have several rape and sexual harrassment cases against him too ?

peggy122's photo
Wed 11/22/17 01:35 PM
If there is a food shortage , and a choice has to be made between human welfare vs animal welfare , which should we choose? Is this really that hard to figure out?

1 2 11 12 13 15 17 18 19 24 25