Community > Posts By > PeterRobertson

PeterRobertson's photo
Thu 06/30/16 02:18 AM
It's simple logic.

1: Power corrupts.
2: Politicians (for good reasons or bad) crave power.
3: Therefore, the people need to be able to control politicans.
4: Membership of the EU dilutes the ability of those governed
to get rid of those governing.
5: Therefore, vote to leave.

PeterRobertson's photo
Mon 06/27/16 02:08 AM
It is an issue that we may well have to address.

Although it's probably a long way off, we could well build machines that are recognised as having intelligence and it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that they may eventually match or exceed ours. What then?

PeterRobertson's photo
Mon 06/27/16 02:02 AM

Possibilities To Exit The EU

France
Italy
Sweden
Netherlands
Denmark
Scotland

* Any others? *

Scotland is (still) part of the UK and so is included in BREXIT.

That said, the Scottish government's view is that as all voting districts in Scotland voted to remain (a total of 62% remain, 38% leave), they want another referendum on Scottish independence so they can stay in the EU.

PeterRobertson's photo
Mon 06/27/16 01:49 AM
What is it exactly that makes a transgender person unable to serve in the forces (other thank the ick-factor some people feel)?

PeterRobertson's photo
Fri 06/10/16 09:07 AM

"Agnostic" means, roughly, "I don't know what to believe and I'm questioning what the mainstream culture at large says I should believe". My mind is open, but I hew to no single religious group or affiliation. It's just too dangerous to do so these days.

It's worth pointing out, once again, the meanings of these independent terms.
'Gnostic' concerns knowledge.
'Theist' concerns belief.
If you believe in a god or gods, you are a theist.
If you do not believe in any gods (including being uncertain), you are an atheist.
If you know there are gods, you are a gnostic.
If you do not know if there are gods, you are agnostic.
Most people who describe themselves as atheists are probably better described as agnostic atheists: they cannot be certain there are no gods but they don't believe there are any.

PeterRobertson's photo
Thu 06/09/16 02:06 AM
Perhaps those who are so against this should take time to meet and talk to people like these:

http://www.dignityindying.org.uk/personal-stories/

PeterRobertson's photo
Thu 06/09/16 02:03 AM

Since societies are continuously ignoring this criminal deviancy.
And these special * cough * humans are not receiving a lethal injection, or swinging from a tree & no one has to clean up brain spatter or call ballistics....
I decided they (at least), deserve their own infamy thread.
Because maybe, just maybe... the entire planet isn't asleep. And some people may actually to protect children & want justice for the innocent.

Ignoring it in the sense of catching the person and applying the law?

PeterRobertson's photo
Thu 06/09/16 02:00 AM

Another moron out of the gene pool.

Such a sympathetic and caring response from someone who clearly must know more about the case than has been published.

PeterRobertson's photo
Mon 06/06/16 12:44 AM
Edited by PeterRobertson on Mon 06/06/16 12:45 AM

Hypotjosis is a poorly proven theory where as a scientific theory is a posible but not confimed hypothosis problem with this scietific thoery is it has existed this long and yet there has been plenty of time to prove it yet no one has

I would suggest that you try to understand the careful explanations that several people have made here rather than sticking to your own inventions for the meanings of words.

You cannot prove scientific theories, but the crucial thing about them is that they can be disproved. All you need is one fact that does not fit to show that a theory is either wrong, incomplete, or an approximation. To become theories, hypotheses have to be supported by all the available evidence and survive strenuous attempts at being disproved, attempts which are encouraged and never end.

This makes scientific theories the exact opposite of religious dogma where contradictory evidence is dismissed or ignored.

PeterRobertson's photo
Sun 06/05/16 08:47 AM
Edited by PeterRobertson on Sun 06/05/16 08:47 AM

Just to add to my previous post...I don't mean to say that all so called conspiracy theories are not true. I do believe we are slowly being poisoned physically and mentally from chemicals added to our air..water and food supply.

Those dreaded 'chemicals' again. Would you care to name something that isn't a chemical?

PeterRobertson's photo
Sun 06/05/16 08:46 AM

The rabbit hole is pretty deep with conspiracies and why conspiracies exist and who starts them. I agree that most are started by the governments to put fear into people....but that's another long story.

No, it's yet another conspiracy (yawn).

PeterRobertson's photo
Sun 06/05/16 08:44 AM
Those who wish to will continue to consider the scientific word 'theory' as being a synonym for 'guess'. Once they have been corrected, their repetition of the mantra "it's only a theory" is nothing short of lying. Anyone who says it and is older than about twelve is asking to be ignored.

PeterRobertson's photo
Sun 06/05/16 12:43 AM
You forgot to mention the invisible purple unicorns and pink rabbits.

PeterRobertson's photo
Thu 06/02/16 09:18 AM

you, being from England

Scotland actually.

PeterRobertson's photo
Thu 06/02/16 07:07 AM

It is not a Christian atrocity.It is an atrocity committed by people who are falsely claiming to be Christians.Christianity unreservedly condemns such acts.I am not a Christian.
Many of the atrocities committed by Muslims are condoned by the teachings of various sects of this ideology.
The scales we should seek to balance are good and evil.Two evil acts merely add to the imbalance.

Ah - the "No true Scotsman" fallacy.

PeterRobertson's photo
Thu 06/02/16 04:44 AM
For a little balance, how about a modern Christian atrocity:

"[The Central African Republic Genocide] is an ongoing conflict... While the UN hasn’t called it a genocide yet, Reuters acknowledges that what the Christians are doing is ethnic cleansing against a Muslim minority. The conflict is very much one of Christians working to expel Muslims from the country, and by all accounts, they’ve been very successful so far."

Pot meet kettle.

Not only do I condemn Muslims who do terrible things, but I also condemn EVERYONE who sinks to that level.

PeterRobertson's photo
Wed 06/01/16 12:43 AM
FYI: In the UK, the penny is legal tender only for amounts not exceeding 20p.

PeterRobertson's photo
Tue 05/31/16 07:35 AM

Its really strange how liberals in America...in all their "feminism" glory, will ignore this.....

even stranger with all the pro gay, how the muslims throw gays off of rooftops - but you never hear how we should boycot them... Christians are bigots for not supporting the gay agenda, but muslims are not for killing them...

So true....

All forms of extremism should be condemned, vigorously, wherever they are found.
Well hell then....I'll wait patiently for the left to start vehemently opposing the mistreatment of Muslim women worldwide.

Why wait for this mysterious 'left'? It seems to be an excuse for you doing nothing yourself.

PeterRobertson's photo
Tue 05/31/16 06:30 AM
How do you get from "unidentified" to "I've identified it as an alien craft"?

PeterRobertson's photo
Tue 05/31/16 02:42 AM

Its really strange how liberals in America...in all their "feminism" glory, will ignore this.....

even stranger with all the pro gay, how the muslims throw gays off of rooftops - but you never hear how we should boycot them... Christians are bigots for not supporting the gay agenda, but muslims are not for killing them...

So true....

All forms of extremism should be condemned, vigorously, wherever they are found.

So,the Pursuit of Extreme Health,or Extreme Happiness ought to be condemned?

“Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.”
Barry Goldwater

Absolutely. Anything that becomes an obsession gets corrupted and debased.

Previous 1 3 4