Community > Posts By > msharmony

msharmony's photo
Thu 12/19/19 11:34 PM
In childhood, I attended Baptist church, and the values I already held somewhere were just explained in more complete detail for me. Since then, I have found those values in one way or another in any christian church I have attended, regardless of nomination. I consider myself Christian.

msharmony's photo
Thu 12/19/19 02:30 PM
I want the charges of obstruction of justice(intimidating witnesses, etc) and abuse of power (using position for personal favors) fully examined.

msharmony's photo
Thu 12/19/19 06:53 AM

It is becoming more obvious that it is all about politics. The vote totals reflect that and now Pelosi is talking about not forwarding the articles of impeachment to the Senate. That will give the democrats the ability to claim Trump has been impeached during the 2020 election. They only have to stretch this whole political mess out 11 months!! It will also free up the democrat senators running for president to continue with their campaigns. It is almost the same as you being arrested, charged with a crime and have it on the front page of your newspaper but never having a trial to prove your guilt or innocence.

I heard that. In the news conference, however, which happened the same day as the vote to impeach, all I actually HEARD her say was that they were not making a choice about that YET, which sounds reasonably like they are actually going to make an INFORMED choice instead of just appeasing press with quick soundbytes.

msharmony's photo
Thu 12/19/19 06:51 AM

Things like giving military secrets to our enemies. Ordering our military or others to attack our citizens. Taking taxpayer money for personal use. Taking away some group's constitutional rights. Giving taxpayer money away to others.

how about withholding taxpayer money from others in return for personal favors?

msharmony's photo
Wed 12/18/19 07:56 PM

I believe a party would vote to remove a President via impeachment if there was really something to it. Something like lying to Congress or obstruction isn't it. Both Clinton and Trump should never have had impeachment voted on them.

how serious would it have to be? Murder?

msharmony's photo
Wed 12/18/19 06:55 PM
Edited by msharmony on Wed 12/18/19 06:56 PM

It is astounding to me how like the ostrich the Republicans in Congress have become. Head in the sand so they don't have to be exposed to all that dirt on their leader, while he leads them over the cliff. Yeah, I know: mixed metaphor, but at least they're both birds. I blame that bastion of disinformation, Faux "News", Rupert Murdoch's bubble machine. If you get your info from only sources that agree with you, you are, by definition, willfully ignorant.

Amen!
And can we get a billionaire to buy faux news and turn into news instead of entertainment? Unbelievable how many people actually believe what is shown on there.

Can we get Trump to be struck mute? That would just lift up alot of stress, for me personally. The man opens his mouth and almost always says something fabricated, untrue, divisive, or repulsive. Ugh. Did you hear his latest implying someone's spouse went to hell? Putting down McCain for being a POW(at least he didn't dodge with 'bone spurs'). Insulting a veterans mother for an assumption that she is muslim?

Hand on heart, I really hope this man is actually senile instead of just completely morally bankrupt.

He carries on like a spoiled school yard bully. Sadly, he got away with it all of his 'professional' career, and looks like he will again in his political one.

msharmony's photo
Wed 12/18/19 06:31 PM
It doesnt matter really. In my lifetime, it has been 'my party, right or wrong'. The President's party never votes against them or votes them out. Senate is republican, they will not impeach.

msharmony's photo
Wed 12/18/19 03:11 PM
I do not revere the founding fathers as much as some. I do not feel the constitution is framed in very specific detail and can be very ambiguous and with so much room for 'discretion' by courts and politicians.

What is a high crime or misdemeanor? Lying about an affair? Implying you want a foreign government to interfere with elections or assist in your personal political campaign? I do not personally think a congress will ever remove a white male president. Just my opinion though. And what is the point. If they screw up in four years, just don't re-elect them. My two cents

msharmony's photo
Tue 12/17/19 03:47 PM

Probably the largest erosion of rights has been to property rights, freedom of speech, and the right to bear arms. Also any time government gives special status to some group over others, that reduces the other group's rights.

Can you give examples of any of those things changing and who is given special status?
Property rights are usually eroded through zoning regulations; also some through excessive taxation. Freedom of speech by protesters that have the goal of preventing speech they do not like or agree with. Right to bear arms by laws that limit the ability of law abiding individuals to purchase or possess firearms.

Okay. I guess I just do not see it that way. I see people owning MANY guns, so that right seems safe. I see people speaking out about EVERYTHING, so that right seems safe as well. I see paying for property, even taxes, as still having the right to own it.
While you have the right to own property (and pay taxes on it) you do not have the right to use it as you wish! While you may be able to own many guns in some parts of the country, the type of gun and where you can purchase it is regulated; also the ability to transport that gun is limited in some parts of the country. I should be able to stand in the public square and advocate for anything I want to. You should have the choice to listen or walk away. You should never have the right to attempted to silence me by any means!! What you may consider hate speech, I have the right to openly speak of and advocate for that position.

rights and responsibilities go hand in hand, imho. There is no absolute right that applies always and no matter what. Details matter. Where one person's rights end and another begins is not so black and white. Expecting some responsibility within those rights is, imho, what makes us 'civilized'.

msharmony's photo
Tue 12/17/19 03:44 PM
Nowhere does it say God 'hates' sinners. If that were so, we would not all have the gift of repentance.

But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners. Matthew 9:13

Jesus sacrifice would not happen if God 'hated' sinners.

msharmony's photo
Tue 12/17/19 06:49 AM

Let's remember, President Trump is credited for the lowest black unemployment rate since democRATS owned slaves.
5 more years!!

He does love to take 'credit'.

Obamas first fiscal year black unemployment was at 17.3 and had dropped to 14.1 by his fourth fiscal year's end and dropped to 6.8 percent by his final fiscal year budget

Trump entered his first fiscal year with black unemployment at 8.2 percent, and in this, his third fiscal year, it has dropped to 5.1 percent. And the trend that begun UNDER Obama continued.

msharmony's photo
Mon 12/16/19 04:47 PM

1000 times yes. OBama had to stop us from sinking into a depression. Bush had to contend with 9/11. This president has a cakewalk, and he is even screwing that up with his brand of fictional narratives, divisive rhetoric, and running the office as if the US is his personal business for his and his buddies personal profits.
spoken like a true brainwashed liberal democrat

what part was brainwashing? that we were headed to a depression?

from Investopedia

In economics, a depression is commonly defined as an extreme recession that lasts three or more years or leads to a decline in real gross domestic product (GDP) of at least 10 percent.

A recession is a normal part of the business cycle that generally occurs when GDP contracts for at least two quarters.

GDP growth 2004 was 3.8
for 2005, it was 3.5
in 2006, it was 2.9
in 2007, it was 1.9
in 2008, it was NEGATIVE 0.1
in 2009, it NEGATIVE 2.5

https://www.thebalance.com/us-gdp-by-year-3305543,

FIVE YEARS OF CONTRACTING GDP LEADING TO A DECLINE IN GDP OF 6.3 percent,

...like I said, heading for depression
ANd of course, 9/11 happened in 2001, eight months into Bush presidency

so again I ask, what part is 'brainwashing'? Because all I posted was verifiable and re-searchable fact.

Part of the effort to prevent a depression was the result of the work the Federal Reserve did. Part of the effort was part of the Obama administration in that Obama had some very good people and he let them do their job. I doubt if the legislation Obama and the democrats pushed through helped much - it was more of an excuse to send taxpayer funds to selected groups of people.

Actually the financial crisis started around 2006 with a combination of government policy and greed and was based in the housing market. This resulted in too many over extended homeowners that were not able to weather the economic downturn of 2006 and 2007. Without the high demand, the value of housing fell and banks got stuck with foreclosed properties worth less than the mortgage. Then there were the investment vehicles that were based on the underlying mortgages that lost value. Many of those losses were covered by insurance until the insurance companies failed, then the financial system collapsed!

Thank you for the additional input. Obama was facing a prolonged recession, almost a depression. And Bush was facing 9/11. My point was that, comparably, Trump had little to deal with or do or overcome, and IMHO, he managed to mess up still by the appearance of using the office as his personal pocketbook.

msharmony's photo
Mon 12/16/19 04:44 PM

Probably the largest erosion of rights has been to property rights, freedom of speech, and the right to bear arms. Also any time government gives special status to some group over others, that reduces the other group's rights.

Can you give examples of any of those things changing and who is given special status?
Property rights are usually eroded through zoning regulations; also some through excessive taxation. Freedom of speech by protesters that have the goal of preventing speech they do not like or agree with. Right to bear arms by laws that limit the ability of law abiding individuals to purchase or possess firearms.

Okay. I guess I just do not see it that way. I see people owning MANY guns, so that right seems safe. I see people speaking out about EVERYTHING, so that right seems safe as well. I see paying for property, even taxes, as still having the right to own it.

msharmony's photo
Mon 12/16/19 04:41 PM
from prisonpolicy.org

It’s true that police, prosecutors, and judges continue to punish people harshly for nothing more than drug possession. Drug offenses still account for the incarceration of almost half a million people, and nonviolent drug convictions remain a defining feature of the federal prison system.

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/reports/pie2019.html

thats about 20 percent of those incarcerated

msharmony's photo
Sun 12/15/19 09:44 PM

msharmony's photo
Sun 12/15/19 06:34 PM

1000 times yes. OBama had to stop us from sinking into a depression. Bush had to contend with 9/11. This president has a cakewalk, and he is even screwing that up with his brand of fictional narratives, divisive rhetoric, and running the office as if the US is his personal business for his and his buddies personal profits.
spoken like a true brainwashed liberal democrat

what part was brainwashing? that we were headed to a depression?

from Investopedia

In economics, a depression is commonly defined as an extreme recession that lasts three or more years or leads to a decline in real gross domestic product (GDP) of at least 10 percent.

A recession is a normal part of the business cycle that generally occurs when GDP contracts for at least two quarters.

GDP growth 2004 was 3.8
for 2005, it was 3.5
in 2006, it was 2.9
in 2007, it was 1.9
in 2008, it was NEGATIVE 0.1
in 2009, it NEGATIVE 2.5

https://www.thebalance.com/us-gdp-by-year-3305543,

FIVE YEARS OF CONTRACTING GDP LEADING TO A DECLINE IN GDP OF 6.3 percent,

...like I said, heading for depression
ANd of course, 9/11 happened in 2001, eight months into Bush presidency

so again I ask, what part is 'brainwashing'? Because all I posted was verifiable and re-searchable fact.

msharmony's photo
Sun 12/15/19 06:18 PM

There are also Rinos who push restrictive laws.
However, the democRATS have been extremely busy adding more. Bent on destroying our liberties.
In San Fran, it's jail time for plastic straws. Perfectly acceptable to defecate in the streets and on sidewalks.

Article II, Section 153 of the city charter:

SEC. 153. URINATION AND DEFECATION.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to deposit or cause to be deposited any human urine or feces upon any public or private highway or road, including any portion of the right-of-way thereof, or in or upon any private property into or upon which the public is admitted by easement or license, or upon any private property without the consent of the owner, or in or upon any public property other than property designated or set aside for that purpose.

(b) Penalty. Any person who shall violate the provisions of this Section shall be guilty of an infraction, the penalty for which shall be a fine which shall be not less than $50 nor more than $500.

(c) The Department of Public Works shall work with other City Departments to post and update on the City's website a list of the locations and hours of operation of all available City-operated restroom facilities.

(d) Exemption. Persons who violate this ordinance due to verified medical conditions shall be exempt from the enforcement provisions of this ordinance.

Plastic straws illegal unless requested under California bill — with up to a $1,000 fine attached. A bill proposed in California would make it illegal for restaurant servers to give guests plastic straws unless requested — with the threat of a $1,000 fine or jail time attached.Jan 29, 2018

I am not sure, however, that our 'rights' ever said anything regarding straws or poop though.

msharmony's photo
Sun 12/15/19 12:27 PM
Edited by msharmony on Sun 12/15/19 12:29 PM

Our rights are always being eroded by the politicians who respond to small majorities of the electorate. If it were not for the judicial system, those of us who are in the minority would have few rights left. Today one way to protect our rights is to be willing to challenge the laws that politicians pass. Another is to elect new lawmakers willing to make changes to the existing laws. What this does is really upset those who originally placed the laws or regulations in force. I believe this is part of the cause of the political polarization we see.

I do not believe the constitution has been amended in my lifetime. I remember them changing the drinking age, which didn't affect me much as a non drinker. I remember them adding protections for transexuals as well. Other than that, I cannot think of any major changes or any right I was born with and do not still have.

msharmony's photo
Sun 12/15/19 09:26 AM
Edited by msharmony on Sun 12/15/19 09:31 AM

I am waiting for 2020 to really get into the viable candidates. I am hoping we have SOMETHING better than the washed up real estate mogul/Emperor, someone who actually knows something about the position, its responsibilities and constraints, and how government is a three branch entity, not a dictatorship. But it has not been often in my lifetime that the president has not had two full terms. Biden is another false narrative that has no juice for any investigation, imho.

I completely agree with you on dems needing a stronger candidate, I have to say this though...any of them (except tulsi gabbard) are better than this dictator wannabe

Biden narrative=propaganda/DEFLECTION

I think the winds were knocked out of the sails of dems when someone as qualified and experienced as Clinton lost to the real estate mogul/reality tv star. I do not think either party will have a candidate as fit for the position, but in the days when fitness for the position is not as important as personal popularity, catchy soundbytes, faux outrage, and fame, it will be hard to figure out what is needed for a candidate to have the winning chance and for us to still uphold some integrity with an actual qualified and experienced POTUS over the Executive Branch.

I really like Tom Steyer, but I would not vote for him at this point because I do not think political experience should be gained in the White House, but earned prior to getting there. I would love him to run for a different position and get the government experience before becoming POTUS. Of course, if we are only left with two candidates with no prior experience, he would be my choice.

msharmony's photo
Sun 12/15/19 09:22 AM
I do not feel as if my rights have gone anywhere that they can be taken 'back' from.