Community > Posts By > Mac60

Mac60's photo
Thu 02/14/08 06:56 PM
That's what many like to say. But consider what is the biggest drain on our economy and also a threat to our national security - our dependence on foreign oil. Take a look at Carter's famous "malaise speech" of 1979. While you are doing that, count how many times the word malaise appears in the speech. It's easy. It doesn't appear at all.

Then skip down to where he talks about the energy crisis. Here's a couple of excerpts:

"This intolerable dependence on foreign oil threatens our economic independence and the very security of our Nation. "

"The energy crisis is real. It is worldwide. It is a clear and present danger to our Nation. These are facts and we simply must face them. "

"Energy will be the immediate test of our ability to unite this Nation, and it can also be the standard around which we rally. On the battlefield of energy we can win for our Nation a new confidence, and we can seize control again of our common destiny."

"I am tonight setting a clear goal for the energy policy of the United States. Beginning this moment, this Nation will never use more foreign oil than we did in 1977 -- never. From now on, every new addition to our demand for energy will be met from our own production and our own conservation. The generation-long growth in our dependence on foreign oil will be stopped dead in its tracks right now and then reversed as we move through the 1980's, for I am tonight setting the further goal of cutting our dependence on foreign oil by one-half by the end of the next decade -- a saving of over 4 1/2 million barrels of imported oil per day."

He goes on to give further details of the energy policy he planned to implement. It's all in the speech. Whatever your opinion of Carter, it is clear that if we had followed his lead, we would be well down the path to energy independence. Instead, nearly 30 years later, we have sky high gas prices and the OPEC countries have us still, almost literally, over a barrel. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could tell every OPEC country what they can do with their overpriced oil? If we had just listened to "the worst president ever" back in 1979, we might just have already done that.

Mac60's photo
Thu 02/14/08 05:45 PM

mac are you laffin at me?grumble

No. I was laughin at Myisland. You snuck your post in just right. You can laugh at me if you like. I won't mind.

Am I that funny lookin?!!?!??!bigsmile laugh laugh laugh

Why no, quite the contrary I'd say. But you made a funny comment that I felt should be acknowledged. I love to laugh. It really is the best medicine. So, make me laugh again.

Mac60's photo
Thu 02/14/08 05:37 PM

I was glad to see the 90's swing movement, the bands that were underground for so many years got some decent exposure. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy always had a killer live show... more people just got to experience it.

Albert Collins is my favorite blues guitarist (apologies to B.B. King, whom I love also). Seeing him live was mind-blowing.

Oh man! You saw Albert? I'm just a little bit jealous. I love that guy. I dont't play any instrument, but I've said on more than one occasion that I would sell my soul to the devil to play like Albert for just one night. Of course, he's gone to that Big Blues Joint In The Sky now. Maybe I'll catch him there.

Mac60's photo
Thu 02/14/08 08:34 AM

i think that if he is elected, all of america will regret it

All of America regrets the idiot Bush ever darkening the door of the White House. I don't envy the next president, whatever color or combination of colors he/she may be.

Mac60's photo
Thu 02/14/08 08:08 AM

mac are you laffin at me?grumble

No. I was laughin at Myisland. You snuck your post in just right. You can laugh at me if you like. I won't mind.

Mac60's photo
Thu 02/14/08 08:02 AM
laugh laugh laugh

Mac60's photo
Thu 02/14/08 07:54 AM

Well It matter to me that a person tries..Is all!! I'm not perfect..heck my cat tries to type for me most the timelaugh

I've had that same problem. The Siamese likes to lay on the laptop keyboard cuz it's warm. I'll just get up for a minute, come back and there she is. With all kinds of programs open. Her English is so-so, but after all, she's Siamese.

Mac60's photo
Thu 02/14/08 07:49 AM
bad_girl in B-more. I know you. I think.

Mac60's photo
Thu 02/14/08 07:44 AM
Single again. And OK with it. But wouldn't mind some new companionship. It's COLD here at night!

Mac60's photo
Thu 02/14/08 07:28 AM
From my outpost in Oakland. Yes, it's in Maryland. Anybody know where it is? Without cheating? Don't feel bad. I didn't know either til I moved here.

Mac60's photo
Thu 02/14/08 07:18 AM
Quick back and forth chatting is one thing. Email is another. I hold email to a much higher standard. I've gotten emails from people that see no need for any capitalization or punctuation whatsoever. This, to me, is either pure laziness or pure ignorance.

Mac60's photo
Thu 02/14/08 06:55 AM
Add one to the Shmalentine's category.

Mac60's photo
Wed 02/13/08 09:32 PM

yes. for me its a turn off if someone can't spell right and know the difference between: They're, Their, There.

and how about your and you're?

Mac60's photo
Wed 02/13/08 07:57 PM
I always used the 2-phone-call rule. If I was turned down twice or got a lame excuse twice(this was more common), that was it. End of story. Obviously, this cat ain't like me.

Mac60's photo
Wed 02/13/08 03:03 PM
If you're not ahead, you're a behind.

Mac60's photo
Wed 02/13/08 03:00 PM
There is a great show on Friday nights from 6-9 Eastern. It's called Jukebox Friday Night and it's all big band from the 30's and 40's. Dorsey Bros., Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, etc. The guy who does the show is a real pleasant fellow who really knows a lot about the Big Band era. I get it over the air, but I believe you can get it streaming at WFWM.org.

But if you really wanna know what gets me going, it's blues, especially electric blues. Albert Collins is probably my all-time favorite, but there are so many great blues artists out there. Glad to see there are others who enjoy more than the pop that's forced down our throats.

Mac60's photo
Wed 02/13/08 02:51 PM

Royale with cheese.

Quarter pounder?

Mac60's photo
Wed 02/13/08 02:48 PM

Its so funny to me when someone acts all tuff behind there little computers when you know damn well they have no balls to say anything to your face...laugh I pitty them!!!!

You talkin' to me?

Mac60's photo
Wed 02/13/08 02:45 PM
You know you gotta give up that smoking thing, right? RIGHT???

Mac60's photo
Wed 02/13/08 02:30 PM
I just don't like him. I saw an interview with him where he went on about this song "Unanswered Prayers". It was supposedly about how he was so thankful that he got to meet his wife. The next thing I know, he's poontanging around with that fat Trisha Yearbrooke or whatever her name is. So much for being thankful that he met his wife.

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 10 11 12 24 25