Sun 08/24/14 09:21 AM
Gung hay fat choi

Or how ever you spell it in English.

Hikerjohn's photo
Tue 08/27/13 10:19 PM
Oh, there you are!

Hikerjohn's photo
Tue 03/26/13 05:13 PM

This whole "equally yoked" concept and argument is just as bad as racism.

That is your opinion, and I disagree with it.

I more than disagree with it. Its a random statement comparing apples and oranges at best.

Explain how comparing Christians to non-Christians is not comparing apples to oranges too then.

You guys assign humans to classes based on perceived attributes (religion) ignoring the fact that we're all humans.

I wonder, do you think non-Christians aren't worthy of heaven since you don't think that they're worthy enough to marry a Christian?

You guys? who are we?

So many issues here.

First, non Christians don't believe in heaven as its a Christian belief. I would assume a non Christian just assumes you die and that is it.

Second Christian faith is not a religion, Religion is a religion, Christianity is a faith belief that many religions are based on.

Third comparing Christians and non Christians is more like comparing apples to non apples including oranges.

But equally yoked has nothing to do with racism. I would have no problem marrying a Christan black lady. Actually I am fairly attracted to msharmony, but don't tell her. I am kind of shy.

Hikerjohn's photo
Tue 03/26/13 09:32 AM

This whole "equally yoked" concept and argument is just as bad as racism.

That is your opinion, and I disagree with it.

I more than disagree with it. Its a random statement comparing apples and oranges at best.

Hikerjohn's photo
Tue 03/26/13 09:21 AM
Edited by Hikerjohn on Tue 03/26/13 09:50 AM

isnt it grand when people tell others what their faith involves and tell others what they believe,,,,?

so interesting,,,

I am not sure I read your post correctly so I just took my response off.

Hikerjohn's photo
Tue 03/26/13 08:59 AM

Oh heavens to Betsey....get involved in your local churches y'all!
And this is not a chat room. frustrated

Lol. trolling at church. laugh

Ooops did I say that out loud? frustrated

Hikerjohn's photo
Mon 03/25/13 01:32 PM

Lordy lordy....
*taking a deep breath*

That was quite an earful! I read it through, and I understand the gist of what you were saying...*I think* :smile:

In my viewpoint Jesus was 100% human. That was the whole point my friend...
Adam was created a perfect human and he sinned. So Jesus had to live as a human, to prove that as a human, he could remain faithful to his God.
Also, through Adam sin entered the world...so then through Jesus we have everlasting life.

God's perfect sense of justice and wisdom could not have come up with a more perfect answer to Adam's failure.

Your way too cute to beat up, but if I may inquire. This response is similar to my LDS friends use when we have friendly conversations about who Christ is. May I ask if your LDS? The importance is that we are then discussing what the Book of Mormon says about who Christ is instead of what the Bible says. If so, then the belief probably wouldn't be that Jesus was 100% man and 100% God.

Well thank you sir...*blush*
I'm not affiliated with any faith these days per se.

I was raised strict Catholic and through childhood and adolesence learned that it just wasn't the faith for me. Doctrines never made sense, even to my five year old mind when I was grounded for asking waaayyyyy too many questions.
In my early childhood home, the Bible was just a dusty book on a shelf, used to record births, deaths and marriages, but heaven forbid if I actually wanted to read it! *shock!* *horror!* noway
When I was a young adult I became JW and was very active in teaching the scriptures to the Deaf as a 'pioneer' for many years. I eventually burned out and left the faith.
Now I don't know what 'umbrella' I fit under.
All I know is that I love our God, Jah, with all my heart. I continue to study the scriptures, but now enjoy the freedom of not being told what I can and cannot believe.
Pretty liberating I must say...tongue2

I just don't like being told what to believe and what not to believe. I need to understand and it must have logic. Plain and simple.
So to tell me I must believe something and not ask why...I become much like a stubborn mule and dig my heels in.biggrin

But anyhooo....wayyyyy offtopic
OP I apologize...carry on folks!

I think it is right on topic. And, being raised Catholic I fully understand your view. And I fully support your desire to grow in "Faith" instead of a religion. The issues that divide the different Christian religions are mans issues not Gods. You are among many who are figuring this out. So power to you.

Just remember to keep leaning on others so your not leaning only your understanding. Let your understanding be challenged by others and then go back to biblical principle to see what it says.

Hikerjohn's photo
Mon 03/25/13 12:56 PM
Edited by Hikerjohn on Mon 03/25/13 12:59 PM
So my take on the OP's question.

It opens up the question of the trinity and how to understand this. And we know from what the bible says that our knowledge individually is limited like looking through a very poor quality mirror( mirror dimly. Most mirrors in those days were polish metal like copper).

So I will describe it in the same way I describe marriage. Some come together as 50% and 50% attempting for the union to make a 100% new thing. This is a dysfunctional marriage that falters each time one of the partners is not well.

But instead, a healthy marriage is when there is a two solid individuals who are 100% self reliant (through the spirit) (or seeking self reliance) in there faith, emotions, ethics, morals, character, etc who come together to form a new entity in their marriage. Now we have a powerful couple who can do far more than there sum. They support each other when the other is in need but they are still two individuals outside the union but fully part of the union. 100% themselves and 100% Mr and Mrs.

Christ needed to be flesh so he could be tempted when he was weak (40 days in the desert) and to past the test of choosing right over personal want. Something we cannot maintain our full lives. Maybe we can momentarily at best. He had to be of God as God is the only one who can put self aside to still honor his Fathers desires. So he had to be both or the whole intent is lost. And I am thankful He was.

Hikerjohn's photo
Mon 03/25/13 12:42 PM

Lordy lordy....
*taking a deep breath*

That was quite an earful! I read it through, and I understand the gist of what you were saying...*I think* :smile:

In my viewpoint Jesus was 100% human. That was the whole point my friend...
Adam was created a perfect human and he sinned. So Jesus had to live as a human, to prove that as a human, he could remain faithful to his God.
Also, through Adam sin entered the world...so then through Jesus we have everlasting life.

God's perfect sense of justice and wisdom could not have come up with a more perfect answer to Adam's failure.

Your way too cute to beat up, but if I may inquire. This response is similar to my LDS friends use when we have friendly conversations about who Christ is. May I ask if your LDS? The importance is that we are then discussing what the Book of Mormon says about who Christ is instead of what the Bible says. If so, then the belief probably wouldn't be that Jesus was 100% man and 100% God.

Hikerjohn's photo
Mon 03/25/13 12:36 PM

Right, and that's why religion isn't a mandated part of life.

that's a recent development... Texas in the 80's was controlled by the southern baptist, the blue laws had everything closed on Sundays... the SB still has a lot of pull, but nowhere near what it was...
Perhaps that's geographical? You can't tell me all of our country was like that then.

If you lived in Texas in the 80's (sorry if you did) why didn't you move? Just a thought, bud.

I do like this thread. This is off topic but it was brought up so. . . .

Just a quick clarification here,

The US was formed by many people, yes by almost all Christians, who put aside there "special interests"(their faith) and formed a country that was not controllable by a "religion", like other countries that were in the world at that time, (Because religion and faith are not the same thing. ) but under the control of the people.

But you will find a clear message in the declarations of these brave men, chiefly "The Unanimous Declaration of the United States of America", that each persons rights were not given by the new government but granted by God. This included all men (people) regardless of there religion or skin color.(way before Lincoln and the slave issue).

So while many Christians still state we were formed as a Christian nation, we actually were not.

But We were built on a believe in a moral code (based on biblical principal) and the knowledge that we were going to follow good or evil by choice as a nation and it would be up the the people to maintain that direction not the government. (guess which way our nation is going now)

So in Texas, it was not controlled by the baptist church. But the majority of the people who lived there and were in leadership for the state were Christians and chiefly Baptist. And there goal was to seek 'good' knowing what would happen if they didn't.

Full circle: Remember, even when the best of us attempt to do what is right, evil is still right there to tempt us in our efforts. Romans 7:21

Hikerjohn's photo
Mon 03/18/13 01:04 PM
Edited by Hikerjohn on Mon 03/18/13 01:05 PM

Yes but did they burn the bones?

Apparently not!

frustrated

Hikerjohn's photo
Fri 03/01/13 06:01 PM
What's in these cookies?

Hikerjohn's photo
Fri 03/01/13 05:27 PM

Remove my eye bags...that's the only thing I'd do...

Silly girl. You don't need to change a thing.

Hikerjohn's photo
Tue 02/19/13 11:01 PM

lol. You are now correct on both accounts. Lent is a Christian event not a Jewish one and Marti Gras is not either. Good to be on the same page.

You're the one who said it was a Jewish thing. Good to see you've changed your mind.

lol I enjoy an occasional Jewish Passover meal sometimes. I get that and lent mixed up.

shalom

Hikerjohn's photo
Tue 02/19/13 02:46 PM
lol. You are now correct on both accounts. Lent is a Christian event not a Jewish one and Marti Gras is not either. Good to be on the same page.

Hikerjohn's photo
Tue 02/19/13 12:41 PM

This event, along with its pious customs are observed by Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, and Anglicans. [4][5][6]

And drunks and prostitutes and pagans and seagulls and fat people and skinny people and ignorant people and intelligent people, blacks, whites, dogs, cats, bars, restaurants, pimps, people who attend churches and those that don't and those that burn them down.

But that will never make it a Christian holiday or part of the Church lent season.

Those who call themselves church members who celebrate Fat Tuesday are doing so themselves outside of the churches directive.

That would be no different than me going to a strip club on Saturday and calling it part of my church I attend the next day because I am a member.

Hikerjohn's photo
Tue 02/19/13 11:12 AM

Ummm. Lol.

Mardi Gras isn't a catholic holiday. Its not a Christian holiday at all.

Mardi Gras is a worldly party, copying Brazil's 'carnival' centered on a Fat Tuesday that is set before the beginning of the Jewish lent season which starts on ash Wednesday which Christians use as a pre-season leading up the Easter which celebrates the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus or Nazareth who is believed to be the Christ that the Jewish faith have been waiting for.

Now some catholic members indulge in Fat Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. That doesn't make it a Christian holiday.

Mardi Gras means Fat Tuesday. And it leads up to the Catholic lent.

Ummm sorry thats not stated correctly at all. Lent season starts on Ash Wednesday. Some cultures has created these parties of indulgence and attached them as a precursor to Lent as an excuse and justification for indulging the flesh. (biblical terms)

There is nothing in the Bible supporting anytime of indulging. It warns against it.

As far as biblical instruction, devout Christians and Jews are called to celebrate at specific times of the year, and several times in there life time that are centered on honoring a Heavenly father and personal growth in faith. Even those celebrations have nothing to do with personal indulgence.

Again, any Christian connection its, at best, a justification for ones actions.

We can simplify the purpose of the Ministry that Jesus performed as about learning to stop being self centered and learning to be Christ centered. Marti Gras is the exact opposite of this.

So as a worldly event, it one heck of a party and the selfish part of me likes what you gals will do for a string of plastic beads. But I don't attempt to attach or justify that selfish part of me to the part that longs for what Lent does for me which is 10 fold more fulfilling. Thats why I don't celebrate Marti Gras.

Hikerjohn's photo
Tue 02/19/13 07:14 AM
Edited by Hikerjohn on Tue 02/19/13 07:15 AM
Ummm. Lol.

Mardi Gras isn't a catholic holiday. Its not a Christian holiday at all.

Mardi Gras is a worldly party, copying Brazil's 'carnival' centered on a Fat Tuesday that is set before the beginning of the Jewish lent season which starts on ash Wednesday which Christians use as a pre-season leading up the Easter which celebrates the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus or Nazareth who is believed to be the Christ that the Jewish faith have been waiting for.

Now some catholic members indulge in Fat Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. That doesn't make it a Christian holiday.

Hikerjohn's photo
Mon 02/18/13 10:57 PM
What the heck are we talking about. Most of us would be happy with a first chance. slaphead

Hikerjohn's photo
Sat 02/16/13 11:35 AM
Second chances are vital.

I never believe the old man who gets up at some event with his bride of 50 years and says "we were so in love we never fought a day in our life". I believe thats either a lie or a vary unhappy controlled woman.

And when a relationship actually survives a major event where got people are wanting to heal the relationship, wow. Thats when you get to the love and trust we all seek.

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25