Community > Posts By > lake17

lake17's photo
Mon 06/23/14 07:09 AM

I'm not sure that people are saying settling for someone means that person makes them unhappy. I don't know where you got that.

I can't speak for others, but I would not want to be the woman that someone settled for. It would make me feel like he chose me because he couldn't get someone he really wanted to be with instead.

And wouldn't that make both him and you unhappy?

I believe that that is exactly what people mean when they say settle in this manner--they mean they can't get who they really wanted. So yes, they're unhappy and they make you unhappy.

All this talk about how you (global, not specific) would rather be alone than with someone not right for you is hooey. It's hooey because it's just dramatic, over-the-top, meaningless prattle because how many would actually choose to be with someone they don't really want? It's a great sound bite, I guess, but everybody pretty much understands that they want the right person, not just any person.

Though, I do remember having a "pact" with someone back in my 20's and we said that if we weren't married by 40 or something we'd marry each other. Thankfully, we never had to honor that pact.

lake17's photo
Sun 06/22/14 06:27 PM
Edited by lake17 on Sun 06/22/14 06:31 PM

I, personally, didn't say that but I do agree that no one is making them do anything like that, the choice is their own. There are too many people who DO make that choice of staying with a verbally abusive girlfriend/wife or a physically abusive boyfriend/husband (or vice versa) instead of being on their own and being more selective. The only kind of love I think everyone deserves is one where the partner will put you ahead of everyone else in their lives *exceptions of course being your children.

I meant "you" in a global sense, rather than a specific sense.

Thanks for getting what I was talking about.

Do you think, though, that people stay with an abusive person because it's at least someone in their life? I guess I think it's more complicated than that, though I imagine for some it may be only that.

I have a lot of trouble with the word "deserves". It seems a bit entitled, and I'm not sure where the idea of deserving comes from. How do you figure out who deserves what and what do you have to do to deserve something over something else? Are there levels of deserve that someone can strive for?

Edited to add: I've never watched an episode of Dr. Who. I probably should, huh?

lake17's photo
Sun 06/22/14 05:27 PM

Why is settling such a dirty word?

When you choose what to wear for the day, do you settle upon a particular outfit?

When you decide to buy a new car, so you decide between a couple before you settle upon one?

When you go out to eat and are torn between the steak or the shrimp, don't you settle upon one of them?

Does settling make any of those choices wrong or lesser than?

I don't think settling is a bad word, in and of itself, BUT it really depends on what you are talking about...

When I get dressed for the day and say "I want to wear my purple dress because it makes my butt look awesome!!"...(choice :smile: )... "DARN!!! The purple dress is in the laundry, I guess I will have to pick the blue or the green." (settling frown )

Looking for a new car and I say "I want a Maybach!!!" (choice :banana: ) and I remember that they go for $300,000 and can't afford that, but I can afford the Dodge. (settling sad )

As for the dinner selections? Which ever one I pick is fine by me....as long as they don't tell me all the have left is liver and onions,sick then I'm settling for the dinner roll. frown

When it comes to making a decision about a partner/companion/lover, I hope my choices aren't a good looking serial killer or a not so good looking cheater and thief because then I will choose to settle down with.......

Dr Who and a bucket of popcorn!!:banana:

But are you unhappy and chafing because you had to wear the blue dress instead? Is the blue dress so horrible and makes you feel so ugly but because you have to wear something you have to keep it?

Are you unhappy and chafing because you couldn't afford the Maybach and the Dodge just makes you terribly unhappy but you have to have a car so dangit, you'll just have to make due and keep wishing you could afford what you deserve?

Can't you still be happy when driving the Dodge while wearing the blue dress?

I'm not saying that one should settle for (and in that case I am using the modifier of "for" rather than "upon" or "down" that does indeed change its meaning) what makes them unhappy. But I do question all that people believe they deserve. Generally, people do not take less than what they want. In clothing, cars, or people. It's counterproductive to take what you don't really like, and I'm not sure many do that.

You say you "deserve" a certain kind of love, and nothing will make you settle for less. OK. Why is that even a question? Who is making anyone do that? Which is why I say that people say that because they can't have what they want so they save face by saying they won't settle.

Is there really a whole lot of either/or things others are making people do? You either have to have this mean person or no one at all! There are only two choices for you! You must be alone forever or 'settle for' this person who is nothing that you want (let alone "deserve".)

I'm just saying sometimes when you settle upon something that maybe wasn't exactly what you wanted it turns out to be the right thing and exactly what you didn't realize you wanted.

I think it goes back to those checklists that some people have about who they'll date. You know, I deserve this and this and that and this so he or she has to be this and that, etc. I threw mine out the window and discovered that there are a lot of people out there who would be great companions and would maybe even broaden my horizons and open up new worlds. I stopped thinking I deserved something specific and decided to look at what was offered and deciding if I liked it.

lake17's photo
Sun 06/22/14 03:57 PM
How does settling mean you're getting less than what you think you should have? Why would anyone do that?

How does settling mean you're with someone who doesn't make you happy and you're miserable but you're gonna stay anyway? Why would anyone do that?

Maybe it's more about how you can't find what you're looking for so mouthing a platitude that doesn't mean much makes you feel better about it?

I don't mean to be contentious and mean, but if you decide upon someone, you've determined he or she is one you want, so you settle upon and settle down.

You're not settling for someone because you can't get who you really want. Or is that what you mean when you say settle?

lake17's photo
Sat 06/21/14 07:35 PM

I don;t fine much that is sensible about romance especially quotes

No?

I think there are many much more intelligent and romantic and sensible and knowledgeable minds than mine and what they've said about love I find quite compelling and quotable.

lake17's photo
Sat 06/21/14 07:16 PM
Could be.

Makes more sense than other reasons.

lake17's photo
Sat 06/21/14 07:11 PM
Why is settling such a dirty word?

When you choose what to wear for the day, do you settle upon a particular outfit?

When you decide to buy a new car, so you decide between a couple before you settle upon one?

When you go out to eat and are torn between the steak or the shrimp, don't you settle upon one of them?

Does settling make any of those choices wrong or lesser than?

lake17's photo
Sat 06/21/14 07:07 PM
true

I'm not going to tell someone who says they fell right away that they didn't. How can I know their heart?

lake17's photo
Sat 06/21/14 07:05 PM
I met my late husband through a dating site, but the first one I mentioned, I met at work.

I remember going home that night and telling people I had met the man I was going to marry. We didn't, but we were together for ten years.

I've often wondered if it's a personality thing in that you can just let go like that, or if it's something that you have to be in the right mood or in the right place or something.

lake17's photo
Sat 06/21/14 06:57 PM
I have loved at first sight. Twice in my life, as a matter of fact. One I married and still love even though he's passed on. It wasn't just lust, but love that deepened with time. I saw him and just knew.

lake17's photo
Thu 06/19/14 12:42 PM
I am sitting on the edge of my seat, awaiting another excerpt.

"The approach"....on with it, man!

lake17's photo
Wed 06/18/14 11:01 AM
Do you mean online or in real life?

A message that just says hi will most likely be ignored. I suppose she could answer with a hi. And then what will you do?

lake17's photo
Wed 06/18/14 10:52 AM
lol

I hate when that happens.

lake17's photo
Wed 06/18/14 10:48 AM

oops rofl rofl

I had a corgi just before moving down here. We had a tot lot and park in our back yard, and that dog would race down to the park to play with the kids and on the playground equipment.

Unfortunately, not all the moms got that he was just there to play with and herd their children.

I was usually racing after him, screaming out his name, to bring him back and not scare the moms. He was headstrong and rarely came back when called. He thought he knew better.

I miss that dog.

lake17's photo
Wed 06/18/14 10:43 AM
Thank you.

It's the push-up bra. Pushes 'em right up to my chin.

lake17's photo
Wed 06/18/14 10:41 AM

@lake Jes keep in mind that somethings, you simply cannot unsee.smokin

Batcat!

I have a little locked drawer in the files of my mind where I shove those images into. Even though sometimes they get out, generally it works. I have developed a whole lot of ticks, grimaces, and shudders, though.

lake17's photo
Wed 06/18/14 10:39 AM
What? They're not just my admiring public?

lake17's photo
Tue 06/17/14 08:49 PM
Apparently, this is the place to be. I'm learning all sorts of stuff.

lake17's photo
Tue 06/17/14 03:27 PM
Edited by lake17 on Tue 06/17/14 03:30 PM
I am having cherry koolaid.

Just thought I'd share that with the group.

Anyone want a glass?

lake17's photo
Tue 06/17/14 03:25 PM
When you can't imagine them not in your life. When you don't want to imagine it.

Previous 1 3 4