Community > Posts By > SacramentAl

SacramentAl's photo
Mon 03/30/15 05:44 PM
I find it appropriate that the topic of religion and zombies converges here. Think about the parallel: in good zombie series, the undead population naturally exceeds that of the living, effectively making them the majority. Their primary objective, historically at least, has been to convert all the living into their ranks, or destroy them. I don't know if anyone ever used zombies in any form of media as social commentary about religious fanaticism but it's kind of scary when you think about how similar they are...

SacramentAl's photo
Mon 03/30/15 05:37 PM
Edited by SacramentAl on Mon 03/30/15 05:39 PM
If problems exist in a relationship then it's the responsibility of both parties to get it out in the open and address it. If the attempt to fix whatever's wrong fails, odds are the relationship isn't going to last much longer. If people take this logical progression of steps, cheating doesn't even become a factor. So there's no excuse for cheating, unless you're admitting you're a complete idiot or a coward. None of those labels sounds desirable, and shows an obvious lack of consideration about the future, since that stigma stays with you (if it gets out). A bad reputation for handling relationships like that can surely hurt someone's chances of having further relationships. So really, when someone says a guy is only thinking with his ****, they aren't being figurative.

SacramentAl's photo
Sat 03/28/15 07:13 AM
Personally what I really want is affection. Someone who from the mere act of holding hands, or hugging, or kissing, can make me feel like I am truly significant to them, and loved, and that she knows I feel the same way about her.

Also, someone who tends to think more rationally than emotionally. I think that would make for fewer arguments in the relationship and would be better for raising children together.

SacramentAl's photo
Mon 03/23/15 06:21 PM
Edited by SacramentAl on Mon 03/23/15 06:22 PM

I actually liked the 2005 Fantastic Four (but did not care for the sequel). Mainly I liked it because of Julian McMahon as Doom and Jessica Alba was looking hot. When news came about the reboot I really was sort of mixed on it. After seeing the teaser I have high hopes for it. It is obvious that Marvel is hoping that Four can create the August magic that Guardians of the Galaxy did. Jamie Bell as Ben Grimm is awesome casting.

Jessica Alba is really, really hot, but she's not really that good of an actor...ohwell

but DR. Doom was the best in that movie, IMO...

Have you heard what they're doing to the origin of Doom's character in this one? It would make fans riot if the first two F4 movies hadn't made everyone stop caring.

The bottom line is, Fox is sharting out this ill-considered reboot just to prevent the deadline from expiring so they wouldn't have to give back the rights to Marvel Studios. So if it tanks (and it will) it will not only be a middle finger to fans and general audiences alike, Fox will have, unsurprisingly and not for the first time, cut off their nose to spite their face.

About the Michael B. Jordan thing, I loved him in Chronicle, he's fantastic, way above the level of this movie, but I hate how much the Storm family dynamic has to change because one sibling is white and one is black. If they were going for diversity in casting, why not cast both actors who could plausibly pass for biological siblings and not worry about it? Then there'd be no weirdness with adoption and all that.

And Jamie Bell is totally not a good choice for Ben Grimm. The dude is supposed to be built even before he becomes rock-Hulk. At least Chiklis was a step in the right direction in the other movies.

SacramentAl's photo
Sun 03/22/15 12:28 PM
Just started replaying South Park: The Stick of Truth. Great game, could have been longer though.

SacramentAl's photo
Wed 03/11/15 05:54 PM

Maybe it's not respect their faith but respect their right to it..you know, as long as they don't use it or hide behind it to do hateful or hurtful things.

But that just opens up the whole "Is religious belief (i.e. unjustified claims/ignoring evidence) really benign" issue, with the question of whether it's healthy or at least not harmful to believe in such things, or to force children to grow up being indoctrinated into a household that believes in such things. It's not something that should be afforded respect until it can provide the same evidence for itself that every other person demands for every other thing they believe in. If people wanted respect for their belief in the tooth fairy and demanded tax-exempt status because of it, could we really say we'd give them those rights? It's just a special kind of elitism that inexplicably gives people rights and power that they don't deserve for any good reason.

SacramentAl's photo
Sun 03/08/15 07:25 AM
This is why religion is such a lousy guide to morality. There's no rational context behind it, it's all just "God says it is good/bad, therefore that is what is moral/immoral." And to make matters worse, the bible has so much flip-flopping and hypocrisy, and some things that are just outright immoral no matter what your faith may be, it's just impossible for apologists to justify.

SacramentAl's photo
Wed 03/04/15 05:42 PM
I think it's to discover the meaning of life (or strive to do so; we should never actually achieve this.) If we knew what it was there'd be no point existing so to strive for something that should be eternally out of reach is what would keep us going and sustain us. If we had no sense of purpose or we felt everything was fulfilled to perfection, life would actually lose its meaning. It's kind of like how in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, you can know the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything, or you can know the question itself, but you can't know both. The answer, by the way, is 42.

SacramentAl's photo
Tue 03/03/15 06:21 AM
The only thing I don't like about how I look is how I've been treated by other people because of what they think and believe about heavy people.

SacramentAl's photo
Mon 03/02/15 08:44 PM
Would it hurt to add more veggies than that? 1 cup doesn't sound like it would balance with the rest of everything.

SacramentAl's photo
Mon 03/02/15 08:06 PM
It's hard for me to consider myself not to be alone despite all the friends and supporters I have. Without that one special someone, to me, that's what matters most deeply. So by my definition, that's what being alone is.

SacramentAl's photo
Mon 03/02/15 08:04 PM
Honesty is what I was going for. I guess it was too much to hope for people not giving me grief about my weight, though.

SacramentAl's photo
Sun 03/01/15 08:48 PM
I'm hoping to make a simple dish of chicken (breasts or thighs, whichever you might recommend) and rice that I can leave in the crock pot all day and have ready when I get home. If veggies like broccoli and such can be added, so much the better. I'm just wondering if anyone on here is familiar with this kind of recipe and can recommend prep and ingredients to make it the best it can be. Just looking up recipes on google isn't easy, they're either too extravagant for what I'm hoping to make or way too wide of the mark.

SacramentAl's photo
Sun 03/01/15 02:53 PM

A part of me still wants to believe in god even though I do not want to. I have read loads of philosophical/atheist books, but the image of Christ always sucks me back in; it is like my kryptonite. But what if I were to do some kind of blasphemy against it.... do you think it could set me free?

I find it confusing that you describe the image of Christ being what sucks you back in; typically what does this is fear of hell or other such condemnation. If that is what you may have meant, in that you would be looked upon unfavorably by the image you have of your religious figurehead, then there are organizations out there to help overcome this fear and provide a social network for you should you become ostracized from your community by rejecting their faith. You shouldn't be forced to stay in a religion that wasn't your choice to become indoctrinated into in the first place because of fear or a misplaced loyalty (I think a comparison to house slaves back in the pre-Civil War days is an appropriate analogy here).

If your problem is something else, however, and you communicated it in such a way that it was inscrutable to myself and presumably others, then good luck sorting it out in whatever manner you choose.

SacramentAl's photo
Sun 03/01/15 12:50 PM
Okay, I'm getting a lot of mixed messages and a lot of insults and detraction, lots of thinly veiled misogyny and stuff that while is pleasantly optimistic is not as effective as people seem to believe. I don't want to have to change a million and one things about myself because then I'm not really being me. If women would rather say "I do" to a serial killer than someone like me, we are indeed a sorry lot.

SacramentAl's photo
Sun 03/01/15 08:41 AM
I can't tell if you guys are trying to tell me to give up or what. I've got a lot going against me from what I'm hearing and being told to cheer up about it is difficult. I see incredibly unhealthy relationships all around me and I can't imagine what it is that seems to hold them together. Do people sincerely want tremendous, red-flag-raising dysfunction in relationships or do they tolerate it for what I can only assume is having arm candy to show off in public and probably a very robust sex life?

Here's what you get with me: Someone who would sooner die than abuse my partner the way I see others doing on a daily basis. Someone who values a partner for all of their attributes and won't denigrate them for having imperfections because I don't have any arrogant illusions about being perfect myself. Someone open to new experiences and wanting to share those with others. If that's not good enough, I don't know what is.

SacramentAl's photo
Sun 03/01/15 06:29 AM

It sure seems to be a huge problem from what people are saying. It's not like I'm not trying but it's one of the most difficult things in the world to do, let alone all the suffering involved. It would sure be encouraging if someone came along who cared and offered support but didn't make a big deal out of it either. I'm not a shallow person either, someone's outward appearance is the least important thing for me.

I did ask you a question in this thread on page 2 could you read that and reply to it please. flowerforyou

And it's not just about your weight, I think some woman may be concerned for your health and not the way you look. flowerforyou

I had thought I found someone shortly after joining the first time, ended up being totally wrong and it took me this long to feel up to trying again.

SacramentAl's photo
Sat 02/28/15 04:09 PM
Pataks, okay. Are they carried by certain stores or are they available most everywhere?

SacramentAl's photo
Sat 02/28/15 04:08 PM
It sure seems to be a huge problem from what people are saying. It's not like I'm not trying but it's one of the most difficult things in the world to do, let alone all the suffering involved. It would sure be encouraging if someone came along who cared and offered support but didn't make a big deal out of it either. I'm not a shallow person either, someone's outward appearance is the least important thing for me.

SacramentAl's photo
Sat 02/28/15 03:22 PM
So I'm not going to find someone unless I drop 100 pounds? That's not why I'm on here. If people are still going to be that shallow then what's the point?