Community > Posts By > DavidCommaGeek

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 02/14/15 09:36 AM
You need some more Interests. Unless you're only looking for a woman to be the mother of your children, and you don't want her for anything else, then give her something more to go on. It also helps people find you easier if they do an Interests search. Sure, you may like kids and the outdoors, but who's going to be able to tell in a search?
If your daughters are your most important interest right now, then mention some of the things you like to do with them. Places you like to go. Foods you like to eat. Books you like to read.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 09:02 PM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Fri 02/13/15 09:04 PM
Personally, I think having a same-sex relationship when you're in a heterosexual relationship mitigates the fact that it's cheating by about 2.7%. Males and females offer different sexual experiences - we have to, because of basic anatomy if nothing else. So it makes the situation 2.7% more "okay" because you're not looking for something that your husband could give you, you're looking for a new/different experience.
If, for example, you were seeing a boyfriend on the side, then that raises serious questions about what you're not getting from your husband, and whether you've informed him of that, etc, etc. Standard "Why do you think you have to cheat?" questions. People CAN learn in relationships, if one or both partners take the time to communicate the lack of satisfaction.
However, if you're looking to your own gender/the other gender, then you're looking for something (even just basic anatomy) that you can't and won't be getting from your spouse/the other other gender.

But this only improves the situation by 2.7%. Even if you have your husband's "permission", it still speaks to a lack of loyalty and commitment to your relationship (and probably your husband's as well). It's easy to remain committed if you don't want anybody else, but it's when you do want somebody else but remain true to your spouse that means real loyalty. If you're not looking for loyalty and commitment out of your spouse, or you're not providing it to your spouse, why'd you bother wasting the time and money getting married?

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 07:52 PM

Why is the woman smiling? She's obviously being attacked by that killer ninja dolphin!! The dolphins are on the penguins' side, you know! TERROR FROM THE SEA! BEWARE THE WADDLING (and flipping) MENACE!!

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 07:46 PM
"[Insert Name of Deity of Your Choice Here] Save The Queen"

... okay, now I'm just trolling...

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 07:40 PM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Fri 02/13/15 07:40 PM
Because people finally stood up to "the way things were" and weren't shouted down, outcast, or stoned to death because of it. Tradition is sometimes a more powerful force than armies.

Please do not get me wrong - I'm okay with people being able to profess their religious beliefs (I'm SO okay with it that I actually listen to the Jehovah's Witnesses who come to my door... or at least take their pamphlets and hope that makes them go away...).

However, there are times and places for this expression, and one person should never be allowed to speak for the religious affiliation of a diverse group, like the school announcer was doing. Even if "God" stands in for "all gods everywhere", it is still offensive to atheists, who believe in no gods anywhere, and the Humanist Association had a legal right to challenge what was said on a closed system (i.e., the students had to listen to the morning announcements). There was no option to not listen (an option like you get on the radio, where you can always change the station, or on T.V., or even in an open public space where you can just walk away), and that's what makes it unconstitutional. The fact that the student did it "off-script" probably violates some sort of policy of their position as the school announcer, as well.

And according to the article, the two atheists lodged complaints about it for weeks beforehand, and nothing was done about it. I really can't imagine that if someone had said "Allah bless America" (especially in this political climate), or "Satan bless/curse America", or anything but "God", they would've ignored the mass of Christian complaints. They would've gotten at least as many phone calls.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 07:26 PM
That's pretty much my excuse - my picture keeps getting adjusted to different sizes and dimensions, and if it gets larger, it gets blurrier. All I can say is that when I took it, and stored it on my computer, it's perfectly clear. (Not the best lighting, but the picture is crisp.)

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 07:23 PM
For clarification, do you mind telling us whether your spouse is male or female? It doesn't have much to do with answering the question, but it has a little bit.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 05:44 PM
Nope. Just a bunch of people who wanted freedom of religion, including having no religion. The people who wrote that the state should be separate from any church. The ones who wanted to be free from an oppressive society who did not listen to their concerns.
Those were some pretty good people.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 05:35 PM
The "stupid atheist" who wrote that clause of the Constitution?

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 05:31 PM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Fri 02/13/15 05:32 PM
The definition works for me.
So why don't you worship Satan as a god? (As you mention, some people do.) Why not say "Satan bless America**", so people know who you're talking about? To the best of my knowledge, only those in the Judeo-Christian tradition refer to their god as "God" (as opposed to an actual name or description).
And to get to the heart of the matter, if you're not clear which "God" you're referring to, and all these could qualify as gods, so you couldn't legally intend any specific god, why bother saying it at all?

**with the same caveat as above with regards to "blessing" or "cursing"

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 05:22 PM
Then go ahead and refer to Satan as "God". I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 05:18 PM
"For the Faire". You meant "For the Faire", right?

... right...?

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 05:17 PM
I think on this site, you're more in danger of just being plain nailed.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 04:38 PM
No, no. I was asking how GENDER EQUALITY LAWS could be enforced so that men would be more likely to share the duties involved in creating a civilized family life.

Let's be honest here, Estelle - it's not just men that have problems:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/02/12/utah-mom-guilty-killing-6-newborns/23326401/

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 04:26 PM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Fri 02/13/15 05:19 PM
Not sure whether this really belongs under the Politics, Arts & Crafts, or Mystery & Paranormal boards, but someone with more moderate powers than I can decide that. It is (almost) a Current Event, though!

Anywho!

I just wanted to get a shout out about the upcoming Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire coming up this April 4th, running every weekend through May 17th at the Santa Fe Damn Recreation Area in Irwindale, California.
You should also be able to find links to Faires closer to home, if you don't want to make the trip.

The main website is thus: http://www.renfair.com/socal/
The address and directions thus: http://www.renfair.com/socal/directions/index.asp

If you've been to one of the Renaissance Faires in your state or region before, I don't have to tell you how much fun they can be (and how much booze you can buy there!). If you've never been to a Renaissance Faire before, you should definitely visit some year and find out for yourself what an exciting and entertaining experience is waiting for you. If you haven't visited a Faire before, be sure to mention that to the gentlefolk who take your tickets at the front gate, and you will be honored as a "Faire Virgin"!

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 04:14 PM
How do we know which Blondey111 is typing right now?!

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 04:11 PM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Fri 02/13/15 04:11 PM

You are forgetting the immaculate conception .. Laughing .. God works in mysterious ways :-)

If God got a monk pregnant... that monk would be a martyr in nine months.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 03:59 PM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Fri 02/13/15 04:08 PM
I should think Americans should bless America. Seems even more patriotic that way. But if you insist...

God, indeed, bless America.
Allah bless America.
The-Jewish-name-for-God-which-I-can-never-remember-how-to-spell bless America.
The Flying Spaghetti Monster bless America.
Mother Earth bless America.
Cthulhu bless America.
The God-Emperor of Mankind bless America.
Satan bless America. (Or if Satan's blessing comes with bad things, then Satan curse America.)
Baron Samedi bless America.
Buddha bless America. (Y'know, if Buddha lays down the blessings.)
Odin bless America.
Grandmother Spider bless America.
Osiris bless America.
The Jade Emperor bless America.
The Fairy Queen of Summer Court bless America.
Sigmar bless America.
Paladine bless America.
Ao bless America.

You know what all these benedictions have in common? The United States of America. So long as America gets blessed, why does it always have to be the Christian God who does the blessing?

And the thought now occurs, in response to Conrad_73's point: If the words you are saying have no practical significance, and you do not actually intend anything by saying them... why say them at all?

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 03:06 PM
Eh. Nothing you don't see in the Cthulhu mythos. Massive "cyclopean" blocks of stuff are a dime-a-dozen.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 03:01 PM
Reese... Pieces? I think that's one of the few Reeses I care about...

1 2 10 11 12 14 16 17 18 24 25