Community > Posts By > DavidCommaGeek

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 03:00 PM
Breed with a man who has confidence in your ability to do everything you are 'demanding' of him...

"Don't ask anyone to do something you wouldn't/couldn't do yourself."

Can't ask for anything more fair than that.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 02:55 PM
Wazzup!

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 02:55 PM

Definitely Mr DavidCommaGeek go ahead:)

Sheik just covered it.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 02:47 PM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Fri 02/13/15 02:50 PM
I appreciate you calling me a "foreigner" because I agree with the point of the Humanist Association, and have been mildly offended by phrases like "God Bless America" since forever. It's not like an actual citizen of the United States could have a contrary opinion on the matter. We certainly don't care about offending organizations which have a legal and ethical right to complain about a violation of one of the basic tenets of the United States Constitution.

But because the squeakiest wheel gets the grease, I don't expect anything to be done about this in my lifetime. The phrase "under God" is still in the Pledge of Allegiance, after all, and that hasn't changed, even though it is a required part of many schools' morning schedule. (Last time I checked, we were pledging allegiance to a political state, not a religious outlook.)

EDIT
Conrad_73's point is well-taken, however. All you have to do is prove that the student said it as part of a rote, obligatory part of the script - which I think it mentions in the article, it wasn't. The student was going off-script to promote their own religious viewpoint.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 10:56 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Fri 02/13/15 10:56 AM
I did give samples! I wasn't sure whether you were responding to mine or joethebricky's!

Apparently the Canadians don't want any Americans, if the other thread is anything to go by (sad2), so I'm guessing you've been to C, Somalia!

THIS time I'm consciously not giving samples because I've got to go. And because I want more people to guess on mine. And because I'm difficult!

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 10:19 AM
Needles....I don't want to go on and bore anyone.

So what you're really afraid of is sticking people with needles? Because you don't want to "bore" anyone?

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 10:16 AM
There is an extremely simple solution to all your political troubles:

Vote Libertarian.

Then, when the Libertarian doesn't get into office because everybody is stuck on the Democrat/Republican dualistic belief, both parties here can complain about whoever did make it into office. Then everybody's happy!

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 10:10 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Fri 02/13/15 10:10 AM
Retired special operative.
(Just look at her... Does she look like a spy?
EXACTLY.)

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 10:07 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Fri 02/13/15 10:08 AM
I got upset at my neighbor a couple weeks ago. He had parked right next to the trash-cans ("rubbish bins") we leave out on the curb so the city can collect them. Since his car was in the way, the truck didn't take my trash, and I had a lot of it that week...
Not quite the same predicament, but I've noticed that some neighbors can be extremely pushy and confrontational. Mine keep taking me for granted in minor ways, which is excessively annoying.
As far as I am concerned, through-ways are public property - they are built and maintained by the city, so as long as they're not on the property of either building, neither landlord has the power to allow or disallow people to use them. Unless there's a gate, and is owned by one building or the other, then tell your neighbor she's got nothing to say. (And if there is a gate, and you have a key to it, I'd say that speaks for itself.) My guess is that since that's where your trash is taken, it has to be publicly accessible by the rubbish-men.

Though I'd say your son also deserves a mild swat for leaving trash out where it doesn't belong. I think I can understand her complaint if that's what she thought your family was doing.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 10:00 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Fri 02/13/15 10:01 AM
Everybody I've ever met can only "somewhat" play a single instrument, so it's either the guitar OR the piano... I think that you Midwesterners have nothing else to do, so I say your C is true. Most of my family in the Midwest has the same ambition.

For some reason the song "We've Got To Get Out of This Place" by The Animals just popped into my head... tongue2

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 09:48 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Fri 02/13/15 09:52 AM
Alas, I've done the math, and I'm about a dozen books short. It's B.

I don't think anybody would want to admit to B nowadays, and you wouldn't have as much time to spend on the internet if you built orphanages, so I'm thinking A.

A: I was once locked in a gaol (jail-cell) at the Renaissance Faire for two hours. I was innocent, I tell you!
B: I have sung inside the Sydney Opera House in Australia. Professionally? Maybe...
C: I once petted an endangered albino rhino on the horn, in Africa, on safari.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 09:46 AM
Oh, wait, I might have another one!

Duran Duran - "Hungry Like the Wolf"

Yes? Maybe?

Grr, baby?

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Fri 02/13/15 09:42 AM
Well, you have at least one dog there, so I'm guessing C is true about you. I don't think you're legally eligible for any public political office 'til you're at least 21.

A: I am a vampire, and I'm here telling you all this so you won't believe me.
B: I own a suit of chainmail armor, and have worn it out in public a few times, and didn't get arrested.
C: I own more books than I have strands of hair (probably).

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Thu 02/12/15 10:01 PM
May we respond even if we're not Catholic?

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Thu 02/12/15 10:00 PM

Revivalist preacher

You know... I actually got mistaken for a preacher, once. I have no idea why - I've never worn religious clothing in my life. Maybe I really do just have the "look".

Also, mascot for an alcoholic beverage.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Thu 02/12/15 09:49 PM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Thu 02/12/15 09:56 PM
I already provide for myself, as well as taking care of my property and needs. That's because I don't have another option at this point. However, when my wife enters the equation, does she not become equally responsible?

What if my job couldn't support an entire family (as it currently couldn't)? Do I still get locked up for trying, but failing? Does my wife then have to raise our child on her own, WITHOUT my modest contribution, because what little I gave wasn't enough?
That seems totally fair to all parties concerned.

Or would it make more sense to share responsibility for providing AND housekeeping, since 1) we're both capable of it, 2) we'd probably both be used to it by that point, 3) marriage is a partnership (at least so I've always believed), and that implies an equitable share of work, and 4) it means more income than what I would earn alone, thus presumably making things easier on the whole family.

Does this mean that when my wife becomes pregnant, and we have offspring, I'm going to force my wife to go to work and not take any time off, as well as keep up with her share of the housework? Hell no, and I think that's a ridiculous situation. While she's pregnant, I'll gladly pick up the slack when it comes to housekeeping (sort of like I already do), and if it turns out my job pays better, or offers better benefits, or is otherwise the more rewarding job, then I will keep it regardless of whether she goes back to work sooner or later.
HOWEVER.
I'd expect the same kind of consideration if, for example, I had to temporarily stop working because of a disability, or if we decide her job is more rewarding, and I stay home and take care of the house and children. As long as the work is divvied up fairly between one provider and one home-maker, I'm okay with that kind of "fairness". I'm just not totally sold on the idea that the former HAS to be male, and the latter HAS to be female.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Thu 02/12/15 09:33 PM
Horror/mystery writer. And you can only work on the roof of a red doghouse.

"It was a dark and stormy night..."

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Thu 02/12/15 04:22 PM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Thu 02/12/15 04:24 PM
Cake!

They make claims that Pie is the True Way... and yet, we celebrate all the most important days of our lives with cake. Wedding cake. Birthday cake. Retirement-party cake.

Coincidence?

was just wondering how you're gonna turn this subject into a sex topic filled with innuendo....lol j/k j/k lol...

If that's where this thread is going, then I'd have to say my favorite kind of pie is American Pie. winking

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Thu 02/12/15 04:20 PM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Thu 02/12/15 04:21 PM
I'd be okay with it if I got reimbursement and/or a tax break for staying home and cleaning my own house.

But, oh, wait, you meant only for females, didn't you? Dang.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Thu 02/12/15 01:37 PM
Are these questions actually for answering? 'cause I can answer "Why is it that doctors call what they do 'practice'?"

1 2 11 12 13 15 17 18 19 24 25