Community > Posts By > BigSky1970

BigSky1970's photo
Wed 03/11/09 11:47 AM

Looks and feels very similar to vista. The only real difference I saw was all cosmetic.

That was my first impression of Vista compared to XP.

BigSky1970's photo
Wed 03/11/09 11:44 AM
Since the economy needs stimulating, according to President Ron Burgundy, Pelosi could have gotten on the phone and called a company like NetJets and they would have provided a G5 for her and her family.

Pelosi has this sense of entitlement that corrupts all politicians. Government doesn't stimulate the economy, the private sector does.

Her husband, philanthropist Paul Pelosi has enough money in the bank to occasionally go to the phone and order up a G5.

BigSky1970's photo
Wed 03/11/09 04:22 AM
I've had my fair share of women like that over the years. My advice is to never blame yourself and to not give up.

BigSky1970's photo
Wed 03/11/09 04:17 AM
I'm 38. I don't use a cellphone because most of them aren't hearing aid compatible. The ones that are compatible are pricey.

BigSky1970's photo
Wed 03/11/09 04:08 AM
Very few ladies I've met are macadamias.

BigSky1970's photo
Wed 03/11/09 03:18 AM
Fairly new myself youngtrucker. Greetings.

BigSky1970's photo
Wed 03/11/09 02:30 AM
I'm currently residing in Rapid City, SD and have been since November 2008. Job hunting and living with my sister and brother in law in a 3 bedroom house.

From Whitetail and will probably move back there in a couple months as my sister goes back to college.

BigSky1970's photo
Wed 03/11/09 02:24 AM
XP with Service Pack 3. I'll hold out for another year and see the results of Windows 7. It may be a good enough reason to ditch Vista altogether. I've never used Vista but I have read mixed reviews.

If nothing else, I'll migrate to the Mac and use the OSX's capability of running Windows applications as a Windows machine inside the OSX environment.

Linux involves too much learning and relearning that I don't have time for any of that.

BigSky1970's photo
Wed 03/11/09 02:11 AM
Music video diva

BigSky1970's photo
Wed 03/11/09 01:32 AM
Edited by BigSky1970 on Wed 03/11/09 01:32 AM

So I guess straight marriage is bogus too right? It's not a right either.

No, I said your argument that gay marriage as a right is a bogus argument. Marriage is not a right, we established that and agree that it's a privilege.

BigSky1970's photo
Wed 03/11/09 01:30 AM
Edited by BigSky1970 on Wed 03/11/09 01:50 AM

Marriage for anyone is a priviledge not a right. It's supposed to be about being with someone you love, instead it's a mockery. For the longest time people were also told that they couldn't marry someone of a different race than they were, people were told that they couldn't marry someone of a different religion as they are, now people are told they can't marry someone of the same gender.

As far as I am concerned the priviledge to marry should be extended to ALL or NONE. People don't want gays fighting for the priviledge of marriage, abolish marriage altogether..problem solved.

as for my previous post, I never said illegal I said unconstitutional. The justices are appointed for that reason, the ensure that the priviledges and rights of the minorities are not trampled on by the majority.

I have said it before and i will keep saying it, gays fight for the country, they work in our businesses and factories, they pay taxes, they should get the same rights/priviledges as straight people.

I never cared about getting married and never will but it should be fair for all not just for straight people.

Marriage is not a right. That's the disconnect. You're claiming it's both, but it's not.

No ones rights are being trampled on. You claim it's a civil rights issue, it's not. Marriage is not a right. It's a privilege.

But, I see you have no problem trampling on the RIGHTS of citizens to vote. Judges aren't appointed to represent a minority class of citizen over the rest, as you claim, they're appointed to interpret the law fairly so that fairly so that EVERYONE benefits. No one benefits when judges are overturning the will of the voters decision. Which is the result of California having to vote on this proposition twice in the last 8 years.

The judges aren't saying it's unconstitutional, the lawyers representing those opposed to Prop 8 are using that as an argument to throw it out.

Lots of people fight for this country. I do, I'm sure you do, and I am keenly aware of gays in the workplace. I know several of them. The fact they fight for their country just like you and I do, doesn't make them special or a better class of citizen.

Lastly: You said amending and revising the Constitution is illegal, I say you need to go back to high school and relearn Civics 101.

BigSky1970's photo
Tue 03/10/09 11:50 PM

I guess, but marriage means a lot to some people!

Driving a car means a lot to some people, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a right.

BigSky1970's photo
Tue 03/10/09 11:44 PM

But...he's just started.bigsmile

He hasn't really started anything. He's continuing the policies of the last administration.

BigSky1970's photo
Tue 03/10/09 11:40 PM

I couldn't live on $5000 a yr, let alone support a wife and 2 kids.

Michiganman,

You probably would be homeless. Then you don't have an address to receive the Medicaid. That's what happened here.

Considering there are programs that address the homeless issue (low income housing, HUD, LIHEAP, and low income phone service) I don't see how one can feasibly say they're going to be homeless on $5000 a year.

On a case by case basis, circumstances warranting, HUD will actually pay a tenant's rent in full.

There is no excuse for being homeless. Those who are, chose to be.

Section 8/HUD has over a year waiting list in my city. So, yes, people can be homeless and not by choice.

They don't have homeless shelters in your area? There's one in my town of 65,000. Like I said, those who are homeless, chose to be.

Section 8/HUD has a 2 year waiting list here in South Dakota.

BigSky1970's photo
Tue 03/10/09 11:34 PM
Edited by BigSky1970 on Tue 03/10/09 11:37 PM
You said adoption is a right, I said it's not. It's a bogus argument to legalize gay marriage. Marriage by the way isn't a right either.

Otherwise, people who are single and want to become married with an adopted kid will make a case that they have a right to be in a relationship and become married.

Legalizing gay marriage under the guise as a "civil right" opens up a huge can of worms.

BigSky1970's photo
Tue 03/10/09 11:25 PM
Edited by BigSky1970 on Tue 03/10/09 11:30 PM

I don't get it at all. They didn't vote on your rights to marry.

The more Gay/Lesbian parents that get married, the less starving children there will be in 3rd world countries.

If you take away their marriage rights, you take away the right for them to adopt, so you also take away the right for a defenseless child to live.

Great job.

It's called the Treaty of Tripoli. We are not and will never be a religion dominated nation.

You don't have to marry to adopt. Adoption is not a right, it's a privilege, just like driving a car. Neither are protected or guranteed in the Constitution.

The life of a defenseless child is protected under the Constitution, even though Roe v. Wade has taken the rights away from the defenseless child.

BigSky1970's photo
Tue 03/10/09 11:24 PM

I'm not advocating in either direction on Prop 8 but here is the law...
from what I read I don't think the amendment/revision question is really an issue

from http://law.justia.com/california/constitution/article_18.html

"SEC. 4. A proposed amendment or revision shall be submitted to the electors and if approved by a majority of votes thereon takes effect the day after the election unless the measure provides otherwise. If provisions of 2 or more measures approved at the same election conflict, those of the measure receiving the highest affirmative vote shall prevail."

note the language "an amendment or revision", and the question
of whether or not the proposition itself was valid was addressed prior to the vote.

Right. Operative word being "or".

The differece between the two... Prop 8 is an Amendment and here's why....

To be a revision, it would have to already be in the Constitution. A revision could mean something as simple as a single word gets removed. An Amendment means a word, sentence, paragraph or whole new section gets INSERTED, ADDED or AMENDED into the Constitution.

BigSky1970's photo
Tue 03/10/09 11:10 PM

Slow1hand quote: "it is clear that either the Legislature or the electorate
may make amendments or revisions to the constitution."

Please note that this is not accurate as stated. Please revisit the link and read Section 3. No mention of revisions only ammendments.

For clarification:

The electorate may vote on either ammendments or revisions.
Ammendments may be brought to the electorate via the Inititave process as Proposition 8 was.

Revisions, on the other hand can only be brought to the electorate by a prior 2/3 vote of the Legislature, thus approving its presentation to the electorate.

Thus if the Supreme Court finds this propostion to be simply an ammendment, it will stand.

If the Court finds it too sweeping of a change concerning the civil liberties and equal protection clauses within the Constitution that it is considered a revision of said liberties and protections, then it will be invalidated because the law concerning "revising" the Constitution was not followed. (the Legislature did not hold a prior 2/3 vote approving a revision to go forth to the electorate)

In other words people in the state of California may get together and propose Constitutional ammendments via the initiative process but they may not legally propose revisions to the Constitution through the initiative process.

Revisions require a prior 2/3 vote by the Legislature before being presented to the electorate.

The initiative process can not legally present, to the electorate, "revisions" to the Constitution.

So, in part, what is before the Court is wether or not this proposition is simply an ammendment or a revision to/of the Constitution.

This is a compelling issue before the Court concerning this proposition.
Deciding on this issue alone will determine wether or not the proposition stands.

In the arguments before the Court, the Court seemed wary, skeptical and hesitant to over turn the vote of the majority concerning the proposition.

The Court did seem sympathetic to uphold the approximately 19.000 same sex marriages perfomed while it was legal under their previous ruling however.

It could turn out that even if this propostion is upheld... there will still be approximately 19,000 legally married same sex couples in California.

At that point I suppose the Christian Right could simply wait for all of these married couples to die to scour the earth of thier "sin" but I truly sense that long before then the laws will change to provide equal rights, liberties and pursuits of happiness for all American citizens as the Constitution intended without religious interference.

The younger generations are much more accepting and tolerant of people being different than themselves. Recent polls show that Christianity is slowly erroding in its majority in our country.

These trends bode well for those who support equal rights among citizens.

Christians will continue to fight this battle and oppressed minorities will continue to fight on as well.

It has already been a long and hard fought battle between freedoms and ideaologies... much like the Civil War when the Confederacy fought to keep Blacks in slavery.

There will be dissapointments, hurts and casualties on both sides until the issue is finally settled.
It may take generations to finally be put completely to rest even as the entire white/black issue is still a work in progress in some states and minds.

Whatever the court decides... the battle will likely go on for a bit longer.

I know that both sides await the decision with passion and will mount counter attacks.

Me... I took on this issue simply because I truly believe that the Constitution of the United States of America really does stand for equal rights, liberties and pursuits of happiness.

RW

Proposition 8 was an Amendment to the California Constitution.

What you seem to ignore is that after the vote has taken place that it has been those who didn't like the final results in each instance, to resort to the California Supreme Court to overturn the result of the electors, resulting in votes not even counting on both sides of the issue.

You're citing the part of the Calfornia Constitution that demonstrates just what the process of petitioning a ballot initiative entails. Which has nothing to do with equal rights under the law.

But what you are supporting is the will of the people be stifled by men and women in black robes.

BigSky1970's photo
Tue 03/10/09 10:57 PM
Edited by BigSky1970 on Tue 03/10/09 10:58 PM

I'm all for civil unions provided they make them with FULL marriage benefits. As it stands now civil unions are only a half assed marriage. SOme states or businesses don't even consider a civil union binding and will not count your "spouse" as a spouse.

This means that you and your spouse are not entitled to the same benefits as an actual married couple. It does not, as was pointed out, contain the word marriage and thus is not truly considered a marriage by some.

I, for one, do not care about marriage as I never plan to get married, but for those that wish to wed they should have the right to marry if they so desire. This does not mean that they have to marry in a church, a jp would suffice.

If people are for civil unions, they should gather up enough petitions and put a proposition on the ballot. If it goes down in defeat, don't run to the courts and have the results of the measure overturned.

That's exactly what has happened each time a ban on gay marriage has come up for a vote in California. Those who fought against the ban didn't like the outcome that they resorted to stifling the will of the voters of that state.

BigSky1970's photo
Tue 03/10/09 10:51 PM

it can stil be overturned if the supreme court decided that the amendment or revision makes the constitution unconstitutional.

Amending the Constitution is not illegal, that's why they're called Constitutional Amendments. What is outrageous is a bunch of justices decide that what the people have decided in a free and fair election is illegal, only because the people actually used their Constitutionally given right to vote.