Community > Posts By > HappyFella

no photo
Sat 05/02/09 08:16 PM
look for the joy in your new situation and your day.

no photo
Sat 05/02/09 08:06 PM
I think that love is grand.... divorce is twenty grand....

no photo
Thu 04/30/09 10:44 PM
I have a dog without a nose.

How does he smell?

Aboslutely, terrible!

snigger.

no photo
Sat 04/25/09 08:58 PM
Like it!

no photo
Sat 04/25/09 09:12 AM
Going back to your point of time outs. This seems to be quite a common parenting tool (and even one recommended by so called experts e.g. supernanny) but am not sure it helps in the long run.

When children missbehave they often do so for attention really. And what they are after is a greater attachment to you (even fleetingly). Having time outs is the opposite. You are creating detachment.... In ten years time when your children have an issue or problem, you think they are going to turn to you? Unlikely.

I find the best way is engagement. Spend a minute (even if you have to get out of the line-up). Get their attention. Make eye contact first (how may times during time outs do your children actually look at you). Make that connection and talk to them. Hug them. Get their engagement and then move on. Those around you will likely let you back in the line. And also, more often will start engaging with you and your children. It turns a good trip into a better trip. Meeting and talking with new people etc...

Would welcome views on this.

no photo
Sat 04/25/09 09:01 AM
I have two young children and have started to do puppet shows together... coming up with a basic story (very basic - mine are young - often it is just their teddies dancing etc... )... then play it out using the back of the sofa as a stage. I plan to tape it next time then we watch it together and send it to family members ...

They like it!

no photo
Fri 04/24/09 06:47 PM
I like your point .... read.... read... do your own research.

I read something the other day about how largely all the media are owned by a number of influential familes and companies....

All a bit conspiracy theory like, but heck it makes sense. I think that is why the news tends to focus on 'bad' stories. Divert the attention from the real issues etc...

Thanks for bringing this to my attention... off now to do some reading.

no photo
Fri 04/24/09 12:10 PM
Edited by HappyFella on Fri 04/24/09 12:13 PM
I think it is important to recognize the original logic in all laws and their creation (or lack of in certain cases). And it should be the role of government to address this.

The rationale behind the law on marijuana is interesting and appears, in the US (like elsewhere), to be largely based on fear and racism. Compared to the post-prohibition laws on alcohol for example, being based largely on monetary gain for the government. Going back to this debate, there are arguments to be made on both those sides.

I think if there is a realistic health issue or a societal/community risk then a law protecting those values should be introduced. If that law has a detrimental side effect (e.g. encourage the growth of cartels, promotes a culture of crime and hidden behavior, creates vulnerable individuals from the system e.g. prostitution), then why not change it to a workable system that can protect and promote society values and the welfare of individuals (regardless of their lifestyle choices) and communities.

The problem of governments doing their job properly is strangely a side effect of the democratic system. Or short-termism rather. A party wants/needs to remain in power... so rather than change things for the long term good they do nothing if there is a chance it would reduce their popularity (or touch the issue if it is tricky e.g. drugs, the environment). They are scared to do their jobs properly. I heard it said the other day that democracy was a terrible political system. The only thing in its favor, is that it is better than all the other systems that have come before. I wonder/hope what the future holds in this regards.

no photo
Thu 04/23/09 03:21 PM
Cowboy boots rock. Always try and wear mine!

2 Next