Community > Posts By > creativesoul

creativesoul's photo
Fri 07/20/12 11:21 AM
Classic peter. Equivocating the meanings of words to suit his narrative.

That's a baseless claim.

To quite the contrary, the thread itself serves as the base, as do the many debates that you and I have had. All one must do is go look.

creativesoul's photo
Fri 07/20/12 11:11 AM
Bushido,

Perhaps we can have a more engaging and fruitful dialogue than this thread has seemed to produce otherwise. If you would could you further explain for me what you mean by "know(ing) the context of another's knowledge"?

creativesoul's photo
Thu 07/19/12 08:53 PM
There is no denying the representational and practical value... I agree.

creativesoul's photo
Thu 07/19/12 08:49 PM

This thread was over in the first few pages, but because of spiteful interactions we have 40+pages.

You can know a lie when you know the context of another persons knowledge, and catch them misrepresenting their own knowledge.

I set up a logical presentation, initially without enough clarity assuming others would play nice, and it works just fine.

Nothing more needed to be done, but creative thinks he can reason with peter, IMHO the biggest mistake creative has ever made.

Heya Bushi... ah, sometimes I learn stuff, other times not.

:wink:

creativesoul's photo
Wed 06/27/12 08:18 PM
in my experience everyone lies.I have yet to meet a person who said they didnt when the subject came about.So heres a question.
What defines honesty ?

When speaking, stating what one believes.

creativesoul's photo
Tue 06/26/12 08:07 PM

Yes you can sometimes spot a lie by looking at a person,its in their eyes the pupils move to the side,they may make it even more obvious by going guilty.put their head down,even blush,ive been taken in by lies, though and i dont like false charm ie when guys youve never met say i love you 6 times a day, i want babys with you a week after knowing you or a day lol.creeps me out

What if they believe what they're saying? Is that a lie?

huh

creativesoul's photo
Mon 06/25/12 09:44 PM
Edited by creativesoul on Mon 06/25/12 09:45 PM

This question has come as a result of several different conversations that I've had in recent past. I'm currently undecided on the matter, which is new for me...

bigsmile

So whatcha think, and more importantly how do you arrive at that conclusion?

shades

I didn't read through the 40 odd pages to find out if somebody had already said so but...

How can an honest person know that it's a lie unless it was pointed out to him?

The story of the Emperors New Clothes is how i arrived at the conclusion. :smile:

Doesn't a lie require that the teller not believe what they're saying?

creativesoul's photo
Mon 06/25/12 09:40 PM
Necessity and contingency are modality terms. Contrary to what has been claimed thus far, in philosophy there is more than one use/meaning. Regarding math being real...

That depends entirely upon what you mean by "real".

I sort of agree with heavenlyboy in a way. You show me a number, and I'll show you a person counting. Quantities are real, numbers are nothing more than names for quantities.

creativesoul's photo
Thu 05/17/12 12:04 PM

I know what you said. Your argument treats loyalty to one's home country as though it ought be the number one priority for loyalty. I disagree, and have given good reason why I do. I've yet to see good reason given for your assertions otherwise.

You're just plain wrong prashant01. Everyone is not necessarily responsible for what happens in their home country. You're wrongfully presupposing that everyone has an influence regarding that.

Nop Creative,you are wrong.

Somehow everyone is responsible for the condition of their habitat.May be some people are just BREATHING & not even using water of homeland,still u know,they are polluting air & consuming oxygen.....

....I hope u got my point now....

So, because the German Jews breathed they are somehow responsible for the state of Germany during the third reich?

I cannot continue this utterly ridiculous conversation.

To each their own, I suppose.

creativesoul's photo
Wed 05/16/12 07:56 PM
I know what you said. Your argument treats loyalty to one's home country as though it ought be the number one priority for loyalty. I disagree, and have given good reason why I do. I've yet to see good reason given for your assertions otherwise.

You're just plain wrong prashant01. Everyone is not necessarily responsible for what happens in their home country. You're wrongfully presupposing that everyone has an influence regarding that.

creativesoul's photo
Wed 05/16/12 07:49 PM
And so then we base our conclusions upon what exactly?

huh

creativesoul's photo
Fri 05/11/12 10:14 PM
I would agree that not all things considered wrong would be correctly called evil as well. I don't understand the rest. I mean, are you saying that one cannot do evil unless they possess the knowledge of what doing evil is?

creativesoul's photo
Fri 05/11/12 09:42 PM

It has occured to me that the story of Adam and Eve as told in the book of Genesis, was really a case of God tricking man, NOT man falling away from God.

How can I prove that you may ask? The answer I'd tell you is very simple. When God created Adam and Eve, he created them NOT knowing right from wrong. The tree of knowledge itself was said to tell you good from evil (which makes it even more absurd that God wouldn't want them to eat it, in effect saying he wanted them to be stupid) so how could they know?? They couldn't! They were innocent!

So thus, if they DIDN'T know what right and wrong or good and evil was.....how could they have known it wrong to disobey God not knowing what wrong even is?! They wouldn't have. Yet somehow it's their fault for doing something they didn't even know was wrong to begin with somehow. It doesn't make a lick of sense. They were manipulated into a fall by God, they didn't fall of their own accord.

Rather than continuing with the story and attempting to conclude that God "tricked" them, why not just reject the entire thing based upon the incoherence that you've set out?

creativesoul's photo
Fri 05/11/12 09:40 PM
Something's odd here MsHarmony.

I would like to see the differences between good and right, and evil and wrong better explained. I mean, what can possibly be considered "good" if it is not also moral(right) as well? What could possibly be considered "evil" if it is not also bad(immoral).

So what is the difference between evil/wrong and good/right?

huh

creativesoul's photo
Fri 05/11/12 09:18 PM
Edited by creativesoul on Fri 05/11/12 09:23 PM
My point is about the people who hate their mother land for what it is. They conveniently forget that they are the part of the system & are responsible somehow for what they are blaming.

This strikes me as dubious. I mean, if that is true, then it would only follow that all the folk who left Germany during the rise and reign of the third reich are somehow responsible for what was happening in their "motherland" and that they've conveniently forgotten that responsibility. I would think that if those folk had any say in the matter, then things would've turned out much differently. You're saying that all citizens of every "motherland" are equally responsible for the way a country turns out. I strongly disagree. To quite the contrary, it seems to me that you're not taking into consideration the fact that not all citizens have a say in how their "motherland" is governed. IOW, you're presupposing all "motherlands" are democratic in tradition. India is. The US is. Not all countries are.

There are many nations where the citizens do not have much say in what is happening in the government. In such countries, one can grow tired and weary of the actions of that government without ever having the ability to directly and legally influence the way things are to any significant degree. Goverment can change a country to the point where some citizens are no longer happy with or proud of the country to which they belong. One leader can do that much. In such cases, I would say that there is nothing wrong with NOT loving one's "motherland". I mean, why should a German-Jew love his "motherland" if s/he were born in 1925 and lived in Berlin until Hitler came into power and beyond?

creativesoul's photo
Fri 05/04/12 02:25 AM
Drawing the distinction between justified belief and knowledge...

I have sufficient reason to believe that the sun will rise in the morrow. I'm justified in holding that belief. The possibility, however remote, still exists that my belief about the events of tomorrow will turn out false. That and that alone does not deny the idea that I know that the sun will rise tomorrow. Rather, what denies that the status of being knowledge is that it is not true.

Knowledge must be true. If it were not necessary for knowledge to be true, then we would be able to say, without problem, that we STILL know that the world is flat.

creativesoul's photo
Thu 05/03/12 01:52 AM
Edited by creativesoul on Thu 05/03/12 01:53 AM
creative:

"True knowledge" is redundant use of terms, because there is no such thing as false knowledge. Belief, on the other hand, can be false.

Well. Belief as "no evidence to the contrary" can be false only after evidence is found to the contrary.

This claim is false.

A belief and/or statement is false regardless of whether it has been falsified. Falsification requires knowledge to the contrary. Being false does not. There is an important distinction which need drawn between being false and being falsified.

I've already said what needed to be said regarding the inherent weakness of basing belief upon lack of evidence to the contrary. My counter-arguments stand without comment.

The earth was flat, it was knowledge. It was not a belief due to lack of evidence (in the observations of man then.) You looked around the and the earth was NOT round. It was FLAT, everywhere you went. There was overwhelming observational evidence that the earth was flat. It was not belief, because there was lots of evidence to know this. If you said then, that the earth was round, or banana-shaped, or liek a long, narrow rod, there was plenty of evidence to the contrary that it was not round, not banana-shaped, not like a rod.

So... knowledge was false.

Let us think carefully about what is being claimed here.

There is no good reason whatsoever for us to say now that the earth was flat then. That is nonsense. Folk believed then that the earth was flat. They used things as evidence to support that view. They believed that the earth was flat. It was not.

They were mistaken.

I strongly reject your conclusion above. They did not know that the earth was flat. Rather, they believed that it was. They did not have knowledge, they had justified false belief. "The earth is flat" cannot be known because the earth is not flat.

What you were trying to say here is that "reality is true, always true", and that "true reality" is a redundant term. That I accept.

Another bad sign. This is neither what I've claimed, nor something that I would.

But knowledge is man's internal working mental model of reality, and that knowledge can be false, and "true knowledge" therefore means "knowledge which is perfectly matching reality", which is not a redundant term.

I say that there is no such thing as "knowledge which is perfectly matching reality". I can be swayed though.

Can you give an example of this "true knowledge"?

It annihilates the existence of belief. Once evidence is found, what it shows becomes knowledge. Knowledge depends on observation, partly, and belief depends on lack of observation. If there is observation, the topic ceases to be belief. It becomes knowledge.

This is confused. I observe what I believe to be an air balloon.

I said knowledge is not an on-off state. You say, it is more likely that the sun will rise tomorrow, than not rise. That is true, and it does not stand in contradiction with my statement. You are using the same measuring scale of truth, actually, the graduated scale. You admit that there is a chance, but the chance is small. That's been my claim, too.

Predictions are not knowledge, they are belief about what may come.

On my view, thought/belief and/or statements about reality are true, false, and/or neither. Your prediction was neither because it had yet to have happened. The above was my response to your knowledge claim that the sun would rise the following day. The problem is that that was not a bit of knowledge, because it had not yet happened. It was justified belief, for the aforementioned reasons.

creativesoul's photo
Thu 05/03/12 12:35 AM
creative:

Degrees of certainty, if taken to their extreme logical conclusion, will sometimes result in nonsensical claims, such as we cannot know anything.

But this claim is NOT a nonsensical claim.

In fact, it is only nonsensical to the degree that inasmuch as empirical knowledge is concerned, we can only KNOW the existence of our own selves.

This is becoming rather incoherent(self-contradictory). I mean, the cogito has problems in and of itself, but rather than argue against it, I'll grant the argument. The aforementioned problem of incoherency is revealed by our knowing something(anything). Knowing of the existence of ourselves is knowing something.

I claimed that "we can know nothing" is nonsense. I stand by that claim. For reasons already given, any argument which logically leads to such a conclusion ought be given further due attention, because something is wrong somewhere. True premisses cannot validly lead to false conclusions, and "we can know nothing" is false. It is impossible for it to be true, for if it were true it would falsify itself.

All other knowledge is based on observation (of facts), logic (connecting the facts), and biasses (accepted knowledge as given to us by others, without our tracing them for truth). All three (observation, logic and biasses) are prone to error. Therefore other than the knowledge of self, all other knowledge is susceptible to be completely erroneous.

You're conflating knowledge of self and knowledge of the existence of oneself. They are not the same bit of knowledge. Knowledge of self is socially influenced; how one identifies themself and is strongly affected by personal value assessment/attribution. Whereas knowledge of one's existence requires no personal value assessment/attribution.

We know that we are susceptible to error. It does not follow that we cannot acquire and/or possess justified true belief.

I know that this is a hand, and here is yet another. These are called "hands".

creativesoul's photo
Wed 05/02/12 11:33 PM
Edited by creativesoul on Wed 05/02/12 11:35 PM
You made the mistake of mixing up the concepts "sufficient" and "necessary", that's all you did...

...You argued (using the wrong term) that "the lack of contrary evidence is not a necessary reason to believe something." However, in your wording of this argument you erroneously chose to use "sufficient" instead of "necessary"...

Not a good sign. Here's what I'm arguing regarding that...

There are numerous claims that cannot be falsified due to the nature of the claim. The flying spaghetti monster comes immediately to mind. With such cases, it only follows that there can be no evidence to the contrary. Thus, lack of evidence to the contrary is insufficient reason for assent. If that were not the case, we would all believe all unfalsifiable claims. We do not.

I meant what I wrote and not what you implied I ought to have meant. I know what "necessary conditions" means.

...So you problem with this can be traced back to your mixing up the very important distinction of meaning between "necessary" with "sufficient".

Please try to work out the two terms, and create order in your thoughts. Then things shall fall into place, I am sure.

I simply claimed that a lack of evidence to the contrary is insufficient for belief. I stand by that claim.

creativesoul's photo
Wed 05/02/12 10:37 PM
Edited by creativesoul on Wed 05/02/12 11:21 PM
Okay. What is red hair?

Well, all doubt is removed by pointing at the thing. If we were speaking in person, I would point at one who has red hair and say something like "That is red hair"----->

"Red hair" is the recount of an observation.

I disagree. "Red hair" is the name for that----->

It in itself is not knowledge. "hair can be red" is knowledge, "Susan's hair is red" is knowledge. "red hair" is not knowledge. It states no fact, no event. It states nothing. It is a noun, with an adjective.

I would agree that red hair is not knowledge, but that's not what I'm claiming. Red hair is a thing. Knowing what "red hair" is does constitute being a bit of knowledge. I know what "red hair" is because I know that they are words in the English language used to denote that----->

I know what red hair is because I how to use the words "red hair" correctly as a means for denoting that----> Red hair is the thing that "red hair" denotes.

Are you denying that?

For something to be known, it has to be expressed as a statement, and statements have verbs.

This is patently false. It contradicts everyday fact, as it occurs. A pre-linguistic child can - and does - learn that touching fire causes pain without ever uttering the statement "touching fire causes pain". So, it is clear that something can be known without being expressed as a statement. It subsequently follows that statements are not the only things which are truth-apt.

Are you willing to deny that tt is the case that a prelinguistic child can know that touching fire causes pain without language, and thus without expressing what is known with a statement? I'm not.

In order for you and I to talk about it must be expressed with language(statements), but that's another matter altogether and it doesn't serve us to conflate them.

Therefore it does not have predictive value. It is not knowledge, so it has no predictive value.

You've already claimed this, and I've already addressed it. There are two significant problems here...

1."It does not have predictive value" does not follow from what was written, so this looks like an odd use of "therefore".

2.The claim that knowledge must have predictive value has already been refuted. It doesn't matter whether or not "X" has predictive value, because not all knowledge does. There are numerous examples to the contrary, because fact/reality clearly shows us otherwise.

Here's what you're arguing...

p1. Knowledge must have predictive value
p2. "I know what red hair is" does not have predictive value
C. "I know what red hair is" is not knowledge

That is a perfectly logical/valid argument. However, validity is insufficient for truth. Logic presupposes truth. False premisses cannot validly lead to true conclusions, and vice-versa. That being said...

"Knowledge must have a predictive value" is presupposed within your premisses(definitions). I'm saying that that premiss/definition is clearly false. The argument rests upon a dubious presuppositon. I've already given a simple counter-example, which you've claimed does not have predictive value, and I would agree. That was exactly the point being made. It is justified true belief(knowledge). It has no predictive value. Therefore, not all knowledge has predictive value.

So, we're forced to make a decision here. Either we admit that I have acquired and possess knowledge of what red hair is, or we deny that I know what red hair is.

The latter is inconceivable. I mean, claiming that it is not a bit of knowledge simply because it does not have predictive value doesn't pass the muster test, as has been shown now with two completely different examples either of which adequately deny that claim. If we conclude that I do not know what red hair is based upon the absence of predictive value, then we must also conclude that I do not know what a tree is, what a book is, what a computer is, what a hand is, etc. Knowing the names of things, has no predictive value. There can also be no written predictive value without first knowing the names of things.

Thus, it makes much more sense to me to say that I know what red hair is. That bit of knowledge, in and of itself, has no predictive value. However, it is a true statement about the way things are, and I believe that statement. I can, and have, justified that statement as well.

You looked for predictive value where I did not say there would be any. Knowledge has predictive value, adjectivized nouns don't.

I refuted the idea that knowledge has predictive value by showing a bit which has none. Not all knowledge has predictive value.

1 2 8 9 10 12 14 15 16 24 25