Community > Posts By > creativesoul

creativesoul's photo
Fri 02/15/13 06:10 PM
Well, ought I take it that you are not going to explain what you think about how truth plays a role?

huh

creativesoul's photo
Fri 02/15/13 02:47 PM
yawn

creativesoul's photo
Fri 02/15/13 10:59 AM
There is no miracle involved. There is no wrong meaning. Meaning is use. If you want to know what something means you must look at the context of what is being discussed. "Emergent properties" have conventional usage. It is when the sum total is greater than than the sum of the parts. Water has an emergent feature of quenching thirst and fire both that neither of it's elemental constituents possess.

There is a bit of irony at work as well Jb. In order for your arguments to work, we must redefine some very common terms. You've claimed that rocks have consciousness. Reasonable folk should just laugh and walk away.

creativesoul's photo
Fri 02/15/13 10:51 AM
Perhaps it be better to ask what do you suppose truth has to do with whether or not God is real as I suspect that our views diverge tremendously regarding that.

creativesoul's photo
Fri 02/15/13 09:20 AM
I suspect that you're attempting to distinguish between what different folks mean by "truth".

I am curious what you mean by "the backside of defining truth".

It does not follow from the fact that we define things that all things being defined are subjective. I said a bit about that earlier. You didn't answer my question...

How does one believe IN truth?

creativesoul's photo
Fri 02/15/13 08:09 AM
So, it seems that we agree that truth is not subjective, by I am at a loss to understand what "believing in real truth" means. Could you explain that in different terms? Is there some kind of truth that is not real?

How does one believe IN truth?

Your clarification is imperative to my understanding what you're saying here.

flowerforyou

creativesoul's photo
Fri 02/15/13 06:37 AM
Unshakable conviction.

creativesoul's photo
Fri 02/15/13 06:20 AM
Ok. Lets go another layer deeper. Science, psychology, Mormonism, feminism, catholicism, Christianity. These are believe systems. A set of beliefs as a whole. Some people chose to believe parts of these or others and some chose to believe in the whole belief system. Some try and combine multiple systems and make a new one based on the tenants of the systems.

You refer to science. Some scientist believe in Christianity and search for physics with the concept of a God. Other scientist believe there is no god and base there research with this being the truth.

But we can say the same thing with most isms. And now it becomes a question which ism do you put as your primary foundation. The others become filtered by your choice. If your a feminist first then a Christian, you will only believe in the tenants of Christianity that don't conflict with the tenants of feminism. If your a Christian first then you will only accept the tenants of feminism that agree with being a Christian. IF you have not learned to chose a foundation, usually your life will be chaos as you vacillate between beliefs based on your current feelings or views and you may abandon one of both out of the self made conflict and not out of evaluation or searching for truth.

This line of reasoning is based upon a couple of dubious presuppositions. One being that the primary foundation of one's belief system acts as the sole means for accepting and/or rejecting subsequent considerations, which may or may not conflict with the current content of one's belief system. The other being that if one doesn't 'choose' between conflicting views when they arise that his/her life will be chaos as a result of vacillating between these.

That is clearly not always the case. One can always suspend judgment and feel good about doing so. I would also say that some folk end up completely rejecting their original foundation in lieu of another.

Now, I would agree that the existence of conflicting beliefs within an individual's belief system can be quite problematic. That is compounded if and when s/he does not know what makes things true, what sorts of things can be true, what it takes for this or that to be true, the difference between calling something "true" and something being true, and perhaps even a reasonable grasp upon the different senses/uses of the term "true".

creativesoul's photo
Fri 02/15/13 05:59 AM
So, we still need an agreement upon what constitutes being "real" in order to proceed to answer any question which asks "Is 'X' real?" The variable X could be filled in with any appropriate term by substitution.

"Is the sky real?"
"Is government real?"
"Is thought/belief real?"
"Is love real?"
"Is this conversation real?"
"Is a cheeseburger real?"
"Is Newton's second law of motion real?"
"Is mathematics real?"
"Is the number 5 real?"

It ought be clear by now how important agreement is to the meaningful progress of this discussion.

creativesoul's photo
Fri 02/15/13 05:41 AM
You want to define "real" when just about anyone who believes in a god will tell you that you can't define god.

A bit on how definitions work. Some things are completely man-made. We define those. Other things are not man-made. We also define those. The former we cannot get 'wrong'. The latter we can. This all ties into how we go about identifying that which we are talking about. When someone says "X" and another understands, then we have an example of agreement upon whatever "X" is. That much being said...

So, just about anyone who believes in a god will say that they do not know(or cannot know) what it is that they believe in?

I find that an odd thing to say.

Do you assert that images in the brain are not real?

I assert that there are no such things as "images in the brain". If there were, it would require a viewer in the brain. Just say no to homunculi.

creativesoul's photo
Fri 02/15/13 05:22 AM
Well, I feel that my words would also be a conflict for you.

Well, the bit you've said about 'T'ruth is not so much a confict for me as it is a conflict for you. Whether or not I will be able to effectively explain how that is the case has yet to be seen. It would eventually require your agreement.

Would you rather me say I have seen God. I see him in the works that are performed, in the creation we enjoy, the perfection of his instructions written at the hands of fishermen and doctors alike over 2000 years ago, in the healing of broken hearts and destroyed lives in ways psychology attempts to but cannot touch, In the grace and patients That I now have that I couldn't find or create before I met Him.

Those who don't want it to be true find me insane, a fool, a blind believer, a simpleton who will believe anything. It becomes foolishness for me to debate this type person.

I am non of those things. Nor am a a brilliant doctor or scientist. Yet so many brilliant people have also came to the same conclusion I have.

Yes. Folk have been attributing events that happen in our lives and the world to a supernatural being for as long as we've been curious about why stuff happens. As it turns out, most of the stuff that used to be thought of as an act of God doesn't require positing a God in our knowledge. Thunder storms, lightning, hurricanes, floods, untimely deaths from (previously)unknown causes, etc. All these sorts of things and many many more used to be thought of as 'evidence' of the existence of God. Entire belief systems have been built around the unwavering belief in God.

I've experienced - first hand - what you would may call "a work of God". There are many things that have happened in my life that I simply cannot explain. Events that defy common sense, rational thought, and/or reasoned explanation. I no longer attribute these sorts of things to God, not because I deny the existence thereof. Rather, because there is no reasonable means for distinguishing between which notions of God are accurate(assuming that that is possible) and which ones are not.

I am of the strong opinion that if there is a creator of this universe then this entity must exist beyond time and space. All human knowledge is limited to that which appears in time and space. Thus, we cannot have knowledge of that which may or may not exist beyond.

If you believe all the studies and questionnaires that have been around for a very long time, very few people actually believe that there was not a creator. Some have suggested it takes greater faith to believe there is no God.

Just curious. Have you read all of these studies? If not, then how can you claim knowledge of what us within them?

I'm sure that there are lots of studies that could be used to support all the different sorts of belief. That is uninteresting really.

creativesoul's photo
Thu 02/14/13 07:36 PM
Who agrees with you? Who verified your method of analysis? Did you take a concensus before making your public statement? If it was uninteresting and irrelevant as you say, why take the time to respond?

I took the time to respond to save an otherwise unwitting reader from being fooled. I have shown - in great detail - how/why what you've written is irrelevant to the question at hand. If you wish to argue against what I've claimed, then do so.

Just in case one didn't get the more complex points I've already raised, I'll be more direct and simple this time around...

Picturing a rose conjures up the memory of some thing that we can all point at. The existence of a rose is point-of-view-invariant. The existence of an imagined rose is not. Thus there is a clear difference between our imagining a rose and a rose. There is no possible distinction to be drawn and maintained between God and imagining a God. Thus, the line of thinking you've introduced does not lend itself to a good argument for the existence of God. God's existence is akin to our picturing a rose in our minds when no rose has been seen.

That is exactly why/how we have so many different religions. All those folk hold that what they think/believe about what they call "God" or "Allah" or whatever the case may be is true and what others believe is not.

The bit about truth is gibberish; prima facie evidence that you have no idea what truth is and/or the role that it plays in thought/belief and the statements that follow.

Why ought anyone here try to figure out why you would say anything at all? Your personal psychology is not the focus. Rather than instruct the reader to make sense of the words you write, why don't you say something clear, concise, and meaningful. Relevancy is always a plus too.The topic is "Is God real?" not why does Pan say the stuff he does.

Sigh.

creativesoul's photo
Wed 02/13/13 05:54 PM
Pan wrote:

Picture a rose in your mind...

Is that rose real? Or simply a real image in your head? Or not real at all as there is no phyical evidence?

This is almost meaningful and/or relevant, but it doesn't really add anything. Let's look a bit closer...

1. We are asked to picture a rose in our mind.

Doing that is to remember what a rose looks like. So, we are asked to remember and/or imagine what a rose looks like. No problem(s) so far.

2. We are then asked "Is that rose is real?"

Because this question immediately follows the instruction to remember/imagine what a rose looks like(to picture a rose in our minds), and it specifies "that rose", it only stands to reason that the question refers to the one that we have been asked to imagine/remember(picture) - otherwise it's unintelligible. It is an odd question though. I say that that question is completely misguided. We are being asked if there is a difference between our memory of a rose and a "real" one. That is to ask if there is a difference between our memory and what is real.

Memories are real, not in the same sense of "real" that distinguishes the physical object from our memory of that, but rather in the "real" sense of existing. Our memories exist as product of thought/belief. We are a part of reality. Thus, as it's been used, the term "real" doesn't really add anything useful and/or relevant to our understanding.

3. Then "Or is it simply a real image in your head"? Any picturing of a rose in your mind would be called an "image in your head" So, what's the point of this line of questioning? And perhaps most importantly...

What does it have to do with what is being asked? I mean if it somehow tells us something about the question "Is God real?" it is certainly not clear what it is trying to say. Let's apply it to our focus and see bow it holds up to scrutiny...

Picture God in your mind.

Is that God real? Or is it an image in your head? Or not real at all because there is no physical evidence?

slaphead

Can you trust your eyesight or any of your other senses?

Assuming sanity, we all do just that. In fact, if we did not trust our senses in some fashion we could not go on about our daily business. What does trusting our physiological sensory perception apparati have to do with whether or not God is real.

I don't need other people to agree to what I call real, I have my own tools for that.

You may not need another to agree with what you CALL "real", but it would be utterly meaningless without someone else agreeing. There are no private languages. If there is a difference between CALLING something "real" and something being real, then you've arrived at a significant problem.

What's this bit about tools for what to call "real" supposed to do? I mean, surely language is one. Language is necessarily learned from another and follows rules of social convention, which is necessarily social. That requires another - obviously so. Thus, it only follows that your own tools, whatever you may think/believe those are, required someone's agreement at the most fundamental level, lest you would not know how to use words as you do. If you had no words, what could you possibly say about anything?

winking

So...

It seems that after analysis, the quote that this post addresses is rather uninteresting and irrelevant.

creativesoul's photo
Wed 02/13/13 04:06 PM
creative wrote:

The definition for "reality" wasn't being questioned. What we mean by "real" when we ask the question 'Is God real?' is the current focus, or at least I think/believe that it ought be in order to make progress.

DaySinner wrote:

For me, the word reality simply points to things that we both agree are factual. For example, I think everyone here would agree that a belief in God exists because it is a fact that people believe in God. On the other hand, belief isn't a tangible thing like the keys on my keyboard. I suppose there could be confusion there. In any case, reality is meant to be that which exists beyond mere belief.

This may need a bit of unpacking, but I'll suppose that we pretty much believe the same sorts of things. I mean, I hold the position that most everyone agrees upon much more than we disagree. With that much in mind...

It seems clear to me that the existence of God and a belief in God are utterly indistinguishable.

I suspect we agree here, but I'll wait for confirmation prior to continuing. You may like to know that there are serious logical issues with claims that require severing thought/belief from reality.

creativesoul's photo
Mon 02/11/13 05:13 PM
The definition for "reality" wasn't being questioned. What we mean by "real" when we ask the question 'Is God real?' is the current focus, or at least I think/believe that it ought be in order to make progress.

creativesoul's photo
Sat 02/09/13 08:10 PM
waving

creativesoul's photo
Sat 02/09/13 07:39 PM
As if answering those questions affects what's been stated thus far. I could not know the answer to those questions, and what I've stated be true nonetheless.

indifferent

creativesoul's photo
Sat 02/09/13 07:29 PM

Jb,

A sure sign that an opinion is unfounded is when the person who holds it resorts to ridicule and/or talking about the authors rather than what has been written.

Which you also did when you remarked: "Either you see this, or you don't." which by the way implies that if I don't agree with it then I just can't 'see' your truth.

It implied no such thing. It was and is quite clear. Either you see it or you don't. By "see" I mean grasp what is being put forth.

I don't think I suggested that meaning comes prior to life. I think I stated that nothing has meaning until some conscious life form gives it meaning.

As I've said, the question is misguided. Life comes before meaning, therefore there can be no meaning OF life.

creativesoul's photo
Sat 02/09/13 07:19 PM
The chicken and the egg are two different stages of the same life form. It has no bearing.

creativesoul's photo
Sat 02/09/13 05:39 PM
You are apparently well educated. Consider questioning Pyrrhonism. It's interesting to consider how many ideas there are in the world. So many that we may never learn about them all in a single lifetime. So many formulas to help us find the truth and define "real truth" or "ultimate truth". Can knowledge ever give us a complete picture of reality?

There is an appeal here. I think it prudent for one to know as much about a subject matter as possible. While Pyrrhonism aims at suspending judgment in order to contemplate as many different aspects of any given subject matter, is isn't sustainable. I mean, it is interesting to contemplate the tenets and keep them in mind, especially while first contemplating something that has yet to have been contemplated. However, it just doesn't match how folk act in their daily routines. I mean folk behave on a daily basis without doubt regarding lots of things.

---

"Is God real?" indeed does look like a meaningful question. In order to answer it we must set out what being real consists in/of. Personally, I find the often used real/imagined distinction utterly incapable of setting out certain things. As you've already suggested, we could find a place of agreement('we' meaning the participants) and begin building upon that until we arrive at exactly what the question is asking for.

1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 24 25