Community > Posts By > Flatline

Flatline's photo
Wed 09/02/09 05:23 PM
Who is close to Fresno? I would like to talk to a female who would like to go on day hikes of from 4 to 6 miles. They would be in the Sierras. We would have to talk first, meet,eat a jelly doughtnut, and see if we trusted each other enough to take some hikes. I would ask for a male, but the possibility of conflict is greater. I am an experienced hiker, older than you, but in relatively good shape. I'm just out of hiking practice--though just finished a nine-miler with the Sierra club, 2000 ft rise-- and would like the company. When I am not out of breath I can make snappy conversation and know a good amount of the flora and fauna. I have no requirements other than the person be not inclined to voice strong opinions about most everything at regular intervals.

This is pretty specific stuff, I understand, and would be surprised at an answer/email, but it's better to hike with someone than alone for a lot of good reasons. I have all the stuff, you wou"ld only need hiking boots. Not looking for a sould mate, or "the one", just a relatively pleasant person who enjoys the outdoors. I'm a slow hiker because I like to look at stuff.

thanks, Flat

Flatline's photo
Wed 09/02/09 05:12 PM
My refrigerator. I've found leftover Chinese in there, two-day-old-but-still-quite-edible Mexican takout, Indian, lots of exotic stuff.

Flatline's photo
Wed 09/02/09 05:08 PM
Edited by Flatline on Wed 09/02/09 05:09 PM
I agree with several who came before me: the purpose, in a biological sense, is procreation.

"Unless you meant to say "porpoise" in which case the answer is clearly Flipper . . . oh, never mind."
rosanne rosanadana

Flatline's photo
Wed 09/02/09 05:00 PM
Old Time: "Rygar" graphics like Italian renaissance

Flatline's photo
Wed 09/02/09 04:55 PM
007's last line of dialogue from "Goldfinger"

"This is no time to be rescued, *****," throwing the parachute over himself and the recling ***** Galore as search helicopters hovered way above.

Flatline's photo
Wed 09/02/09 04:48 PM
I drive a stick, and I don't know if your truck is set up for this, but when it's really steep and tight with traffic, like in San Francisco, I use the emergency break. I just pull it up, hold the buttone down so it doesn't lock, and let off on it as I accelerate; keeps me from rolling back. But depends on where your emergency break is.

Flatline's photo
Wed 09/02/09 03:42 PM
Who is close to Fresno? I would like to talk to a female who would like to go on day hikes of from 4 to 6 miles. They would be in the Sierras. We would have to talk first, meet and eat a jelly doughtnut, and see if we trusted each other enough to take some hikes. I would ask for a male, but the possibility of conflict is greater. I am an experienced hiker, just out of practice and would like the company. When I am not out of breath I can make snappy conversation and know a good amount of the flora and fauna. I have no requirements other than the person be not inclined to voice strong opinions about most everything at regular intervals.

This is pretty specific stuff, I understand, and would be surprised at an answer, but it's better to hike with someone than alone for a lot of good reasons. I have all the stuff, you wou"ld only need hiking boots. Not looking for a sould mate, or "the one", just a relatively pleasant person who enjoys the outdoors. I'm a slow hiker because I like to look at stuff.

thanks, Flat

Flatline's photo
Wed 09/02/09 03:14 PM
I have to agree with QMan. If I go for a month or so with no chemical sleep aids my regular sleep is light, and I wake up all the time, or I just can't get to sleep. So I take sleepers, and mix the types from time to time to keep down the tolerance.
I'm not left with hangovers, and ambien doesn't cause me to sleepwalk--though I know it does some. Best to just work out regular--which I try to do anyway--drink that exotic tea or whatever if it will allow you a good nights sleep. I get mine from all over the world in "discreet" packaging since I get tired of debating with the doctor. I would not recommend my method to anyone.

On a near note, let's not confuse "bennies", the old whites, cross-tops, truck driver upper benzedrine that gained famed with Kerouac's "beats" with benzodiazepines, which go the other direction. As I have always understood it, though I don't use it that way, they can be used for detox, though Librium is still more widely used to back away from alcoholism.

I don't know what the effect on myself will be in the long run, but if I can make it another ten, twenty years, eat right, keep exercising somehow, then the long run will be breached at any rate.

Flatline's photo
Tue 09/01/09 10:41 PM
Went car camping last weekend, to a camp ground just below the entrance to Yosemite. It was at about 6,000 feet and had 8 spots and nobody was there but my gal and I both nights. Big meadow next to us. Also drove to a nearby Giant Sequoia grove nearby and did a short hike with those stops that have a post with a little info about the big trees on them, again, just us on the shor loop.

Joined up for a couple of upcoming Sierra hikes with the Sierra club, am trying to get the lungs and legs back somewhere close to where they used to be for some backpacking next year. But there are still several hikes scheduled for this year, mostly day types, but they are at altitude and they kick my butt because I'm not a regular and, as said, am back in training much as possible.

Looking at those 300+ feet tall trees is always refreshing. They've lived forever, have limbs at the top big as trees in your yard. And I look up and think how awesome and majestic they are and now matter how tall they get or how long they live, they'll never grow a brain, never evolve even a sparrow-sized brain. It really gives you a sense of perpective, of place . . . just kidding, the rest was true.

Still spend too many weekends doing a lot of nothing, but I'm working on it.

Flatline's photo
Tue 09/01/09 10:06 PM
"El Norte"

Flatline's photo
Tue 09/01/09 10:02 PM

a lot of people believe a lot of really weird things about stuff they don't know much about

(Thumbs-up Smiley here)

Flatline's photo
Sat 08/29/09 05:14 PM
Welcome Lassie! Now you're thinkin' with your dipstick Jacque!

Flatline's photo
Sat 08/29/09 02:12 PM
Edited by Flatline on Sat 08/29/09 02:16 PM
Physical Appearance: Yes

Height: We can make it work

Hair color: yes

Body Type: perfect immediately preceding a colonoscopy

Ethnicity: We can make it work

Lifestyle: yes

Marital Status: available

Divorced: not sure

Have Children: Of course not, I have morals

Religion: the ever poplular "other Christian"

Want Children? I believe I've answered that

Drinks? What do you have? . . . I mean yes, of course

Smokes: Medical Marijauana becuase of a undiagnosed glaucoma condition, and other when the medical variety is unavailable

Flatline's photo
Sat 08/29/09 01:53 PM

you post a toast to everyone in the room
and lift the glass for a toast as all the dollars you have spent, you now have found a way to dream of money once again. your scratch your head and think i need to paint the walls but i have no ink you see. i grab the mirror and the anker from the boat and paddle with all my might, only thing that keeps me from cracking more is the laughter of that crazy charactor elmoe the not so great.

Queenie, your delivery and style are American Indian. Let me know if I am correct; just let it slide if I am wrong.

Flatline's photo
Sat 08/29/09 01:44 PM
Conversely, my girl for example, is an extremely kind, attractive, and inteligent lady and she manages quite well ...

I'm may be getting off topic.

"Pull back the paddles, turn off the juice, note the time, it's Flatline.

Flatline's photo
Sat 08/29/09 01:38 PM

don't you have to suck to swallow???? therefore idiots are mean laugh

That's why you see so few mean idiots, they become confused and drown before they can exhibit either behavior.

Flatline's photo
Sat 08/29/09 01:32 PM

(((Cy))) does Jewel sing about hiring a man?

Maybe, but I know James Taylor did.

Flatline's photo
Sat 08/29/09 10:34 AM

that post definitely was odd

Somewhat off topic, but odd nonetheless that Quietman correctly spelled "definitely." Unconscious--I'm no spelling snob--casual observation over the years have led me to believe that "definately" is the most often incorrectly spelled word in forums. I don't mention it, because correcting spelling is an open invitation to getting flamed; and I don't care, I know what is being meant. But, still, thanks to Qietman for breaking ranks and spelling it in the more traditional form.

(thumbs-up Smiley here)
Flat

Flatline's photo
Sat 08/29/09 10:22 AM

...i don't...smokin

Good answer. Me neither... But what if you find yourself in a relationship with one and you've only figured it out after the fact? How would you confront? Or would you discuss rather than confront?

I would tell them they have a piece of something stuck between their teeth, that they need to find a mirror, and then disappear into the night. That would be of the "small white lie" variety I believe.

Flatline's photo
Fri 08/28/09 09:05 PM
Edited by Flatline on Fri 08/28/09 09:08 PM
Once when I was a young man, walking off a hangover, I happened to cross the abbreviated lawn of what was then a diminutive Fresno City Collete Campus.

The totality of the campus was disected by a street. It was a Saturday morning, and a squared-off, regrigerated truck was stopped in the middle of the street disecting the campus. Usually, no one was there on a Saturday morning, but this morning there was a palpable crush of people queued up against the rear of the open truck. They seemed to be coming and going, like ants moving eggs from a nest going underwater.

As I approached I couldn't help notice that people my age were exiting the area with one or more packages of bacon in their hands. I stopped one and asked, "What's up."

"Get some bacon he said," it's for Patty Hearst, the SLA, you know."

I did know. I wasn't a political animal at the time, that's why I was basically in the area walking off a hangover, but I had read that Patty Hearst, heiress to the Heast publishing empire, had been kidnapped, by a group calling themselves the Symbionese Liberation Army.

Only the day before, one single day, the SLA had announced on TV that food was to be handed out to the people the very next dat or Patty would be the worse for wear. I didn't think much about it because I didn't think much about anything that wasn't abstract and came out of a book at the time.

But, there it was, the truck, the food, and the people. I was and am still not a vegetarian, so I made my way to the back of the truck and politley accepted two pounds of Patty Hearst freedom bacon. I had nothing against Patty, wished the best for her, and felt just a touch of pride that I had become politically involved by taking a bit of the heat off Patty by accepting the bacon.

Patty later became a victim of Stockholm syndrome as the beret-topped, rifle-toting "Tanya"; or she did not. Nonetheless, I always look back at that moment of political involvement, of that bacon, lettuce, and tomatoe, with mayonaise day, with a sort of mystical amuse.

"Pull back the paddles, turn off the juice, note the time, it's Flatline."

Previous 1 3 4 5 6