Community > Posts By > gezasaurus

gezasaurus's photo
Thu 11/26/09 12:09 PM
Single frown

gezasaurus's photo
Thu 11/26/09 12:00 PM

How is the depression affecting you? Personally I don't know how I will survive much longer. I haven't worked in over a month. my bank account is down to my last 50 bucks. I have a stack of bills that I cannot pay. I spend a lot of time looking for work and it just seems hopeless. What jobs I have found in the last year don't pay much. I never thought I'd see America in such a sad state of affairs. I know I'm not the only one struggling to survive, god help us all.

Hello from across the pond in England. I have many friends in the U.S who are struggling in the current downturn. I wish everyone all the best in these difficult times.

We are also feeling the effects over here. Unemployment is at an all time high and no one is hiring. Strikes by unions are taking place as some large companies are slashing wages and cutting jobs, charities are suffering, the one I work for has been hit hard with donations down to a trickle.

And worst of all, people are losing their homes because of mortgage and rent arrears. The system is at breaking point and many cities and local authorities can't cope with the pressure. I work for a housing charity and my workload is crazy.

In previous recessions in England, my family has suffered the loss of our home. I was too young to really remember the devastation it caused, but I know it's tough out there.

G

gezasaurus's photo
Thu 11/26/09 10:49 AM
Thanks.

The brain, Montreal is one of my favourite places to visit!

Rockernurse, i'm affraid Phil Collins of Genesis fame is not from Sheffield. However, Phil Collen is. He is the guitarist from Def Leppard!

gezasaurus's photo
Wed 11/25/09 01:54 PM
Cheers everyone, am finding a few topic areas I am taking an interest in.

gezasaurus's photo
Wed 11/25/09 01:52 PM
I love camping!

I love to go camping in a tent in the Peak District national park. I am a 10 minute train ride from it and I love having it on my doorstep. The last time I went we encountered all weather conditions in one day in April.

We had sun, rain, hail, heavy snow, fog and strong winds within an 8 hour period at the highest point of the peaks. We had to stand and wait for the snow storm to pass as we were by a cliff side on one of the national walks. When the snow stopped I fell into a bog and nearly lost my shoe.

Luckily the local pub is prepared for these situations, when we got in the coal fire was on with a clothes rail to hang up your soaked clothing!

I must be mad to say this, but that was one enjoyable day!

gezasaurus's photo
Wed 11/25/09 01:46 PM
I went a few years ago and loved the place. Can't wait to go again if I get the chance.

I guarantee that you will see the folloing without noticing...

Someone trying to 'ride' or 'wrestle' the wall street bull: I walked past this every day and someone was waving a red coat or similar infront of it.

Sidstreet bootleg vendors: My first time in NYC I was accosted so many times with offers of 2 for $5 on cd's of dvd's. It was funny to banter with the sellers.

The homeless speaker on the tube: This was a new one for me. As a former outreach worker for the homeless and a frequent traveller on the London underground system, I did not expect a homeless man to be putting on a cabaret show on the green line.

The pashmina sellers in Time Square: They're everywhere, I have no idea what material they were using for the pashmina's but it wasn't silk!

Nearly every tourist (especially from the UK)is looking up constantly: Guilty as charged here on my first visit. I had never seen building over 10 storeys high let alone the ones in NYC. I'm used to countryside and open spaces, I had neck ache and all my photos seemed to be pointing towards the sky. It's funny to watch though as people have no idea where they are going.

So, not so much there in terms of suggestions. However, something different and always good for a quick snap on the camera.

G

gezasaurus's photo
Wed 11/25/09 01:26 PM
Last place I travelled to was The Gambia and Senegal in April. I had the greatest time ever and it opened up my eyes to a lot in life.

G

gezasaurus's photo
Wed 11/25/09 01:12 PM
What ho all!

Greetings from Sheffield, England. I'm new here so just working my way around the site and the forums.

Look forward to getting involved in some topics on here and perhaps meeting a few people

So until then, have a good life!

G

1 2 3 4 6 Next