Community > Posts By > Gamouth

Gamouth's photo
Tue 01/12/10 12:19 PM
All of your stats are for the server/mainframe market, where linux/unix is the undisputed leader. You say the corporate world is all that counts, once again in your opinion. I work in IT doing tech support for one of the top fortune 500 companies and it is a purely windows environment.

I heartily support Windows as thats what my livelihood is, doing tech support on the windows platform.

Gamouth's photo
Tue 01/12/10 06:04 AM
Yeah me and my cats are a package deal. If there a burning building and I could only save one, I would choose my pet over another person. It's up to the person to save them self, my cats do not have that choice.

They are a member of my Family, my fur family.

Now here is an interesting thought: Would you get involved with someone who has a normal amount of animals (1-3) if you also had 2-3 pets, knowing that if things got serious and you moved in together you would have the pet zoo as a home?

If you love dogs and they love cats, can you make it work? Would you want to pursue the relationship knowing the pets will not get along so unless one of you get rid of your pet/pets the relationship can never reach the next level? Would you want to date someone who is willing to get rid of there pet so easily?

Gamouth's photo
Tue 01/12/10 05:41 AM
Edited by Gamouth on Tue 01/12/10 05:42 AM
Be honest now, is the average user going to go through the ordeal of first obtaining a new OS. Then installing it, which can be far more complicated than the average user is comfortable with. Finally learning all of the new commands and command line interface necessary to do what you propose.

The answer for 95% of the computer users out there is no, most people will not do that. The point I was trying to make is that running a new OS is not fixing the problem with there existing OS it is replacing it. Now I don't pray at the glorified altar that is Linux, so my view may be a bit skewed away from switching to Linux.

It seems to me that the metaphor only seems to apply if you assume that they have allegiance and investment in their current OS. For many, a non-freezing OS is as simple as burning a CD and rebooting. (For others, a change in BIOS is needed). This is often actually faster and easier than diagnosing windows problems. You say "scraping" as if something significant has been abandoned or lost.

It seems to me the Metaphor works fine, as long as you have allegiance to your car and prefer it over a bicycle. The significant thing that would be abandoned is all the previous computer experience and knowledge the user has acquired. Linux may be more powerful and give you more control, but easier to use it is not.

Really? You weren't following the dominant cultural bias that cars are just inherently superior to bicycles when you made your analogy?? Honest?

Both cars and bicycles have there uses, much like both windows and linux have there uses.

Gamouth's photo
Tue 01/12/10 05:25 AM
Edited by Gamouth on Tue 01/12/10 05:25 AM

You have just proven the joke in the supplied picture, clearly you are a linux fanboy.

I think you are a bit cavalier about labeling people.

Probably because GNU/Linux is a far better system overall

Stating opinion as fact, thus lends it's self to fanboy hood. Saying that anything is so far superior to all others means you are a fanboy of it.

Gamouth's photo
Mon 01/11/10 08:30 PM
Edited by Gamouth on Mon 01/11/10 08:31 PM

As always. Most of these things seem to be written with linux bias.

Probably because GNU/Linux is a far better system overall (I'm
comparing to any M$ OS). But I'm not strictly a Linux fan, my
laptops are Mac's, desktops are running GNU/Linux - both far
better than what is offered by M$.

In your Opinion. I'm a gamer, thus Windows is my OS. Freedom of choice is what it is all about, I can use any OS but I choose one that works best for me. No one operating system is best at everything. You have just proven the joke in the supplied picture, clearly you are a linux fanboy.

Gamouth's photo
Mon 01/11/10 08:29 PM
The OP asked how to fix there existing os (IE. there existing vehicle) you told them to scrap it and get a totally different os (IE a totally different vehicle). The metaphor is not too difficult to understand. It may even be extend even further to say that a Bicycle (linux) is far superior to a Car (windows) because you never have to buy gas for it (linux never locks up). If you get over your fanboy devotion to Linux you may see that what I said makes perfect sense.

You will notice I never said that you were wrong in anyway. Linux does indeed have those advantages, but it is still a totally different OS.

Gamouth's photo
Mon 01/11/10 06:13 PM
I would suggest more than one picture. In my Scanning and looking I seemed to be more interested in the people with more pictures and shots that show people in different settings. It give people variety, that way if for whatever reason they are not crazy about one pic they can see another one they are more interested in.

The other issue is, not to be to derogatory to my own Sex and age group, but allot of guys our age are only looking for NSA sex.

Gamouth's photo
Mon 01/11/10 06:06 PM
Looks good to me. Very clear on what you are about and what you are looking for here.
I give it an A, gold star, smiley face.:smile:

Gamouth's photo
Mon 01/11/10 06:00 PM
You need better/clearer pics without the Flash visible and expand on person interests a bit more. Have fun with it, be unique and creative.

Gamouth's photo
Mon 01/11/10 05:57 PM

Or afriad of who may see the that they know and don't want to be seen on an "online dating community".

Should it matter how any of us find happiness?

See the Irony is if anyone sees you on here they are also on an online dating community. Pot, thou hath been called black by thee kettle.

Gamouth's photo
Mon 01/11/10 05:12 PM
Thanks everyone.

I've been posting in the Forums, or at least trying. Just joined today.
It just seems like allot of the forum people are no where near me :cry:

Gamouth's photo
Mon 01/11/10 03:14 PM
Edited by Gamouth on Mon 01/11/10 03:15 PM
You needed a Designated drunk.

Recently a routine police patrol parked outside a bar in Escanaba , Michigan after last call the officer noticed a man leaving the bar so apparently intoxicated that he could barely walk. The man stumbled around the parking lot for a few minutes, with the officer quietly observing. After what seemed an eternity in which he tried his keys on five different vehicles, the man managed to find his car and fall into it.

He sat there for a few minutes as a number of other patrons left the bar and drove off. Finally he started the car, switched the wipers on and off--it was a fine, dry summer night--, flicked the blinkers on and off a couple of times, honked the horn and then switched on the lights.

He moved the vehicle forward a few inches, reversed a little and then remained still for a few more minutes as some more of the other patrons' vehicles left.

At last, when his was the only car left in the parking lot, he pulled out and drove slowly down the road.

The police officer, having waited patiently all this time, now started up his patrol car, put on the flashing lights, promptly pulled the man over and administered a breathalyzer test.

To his amazement, the breathalyzer indicated no evidence that the man
had consumed any alcohol at all! Dumbfounded, the officer said, "I'll
have to ask you to accompany me to the police station. This breathalyzer equipment must be broken." "I doubt it," said the truly proud Yooper.

"Tonight I'm the designated decoy."

Gamouth's photo
Mon 01/11/10 03:08 PM
I pet some kittens and know that no matter what there are two little furballs that will always love me and never judge me. Then I crack open a Beer and try to enjoy the rest of the night, knowing tomorrow will only get better if I make it better.

Gamouth's photo
Mon 01/11/10 03:02 PM
Blow all my money on a good meal/activities. Curse some people out and then jump off a mountain and end it my own way, one giant adrenaline rush then SPLAT devil

Gamouth's photo
Mon 01/11/10 02:57 PM
I'm a Scorpio and I dated a Scorpio for over 4 years. It was a wild intense ride. I've also tried to date another Scorpio and we tried tear each other apart after 2 dates.

It can work, oh boy can it work. You have to want it to work and deal with the ups and downs, more so than normal.

Gamouth's photo
Mon 01/11/10 02:51 PM
Don't spare my feelings, I'm a Big Boy now and wear big boy pants happy . Is it appealing? Is it interesting? Do you think it will get responses? Is there anything I should change or add? Come on people I crave judgement and feedback.

Gamouth's photo
Mon 01/11/10 02:00 PM
TY TY.

Gamouth's photo
Mon 01/11/10 01:51 PM
Hello,

Just joined wanted to say HI!!

So ummmm HI!

I'm a cool dude looking to meet some new people make some new friends local to me. I work in IT, doing Tech support for the masses. I like to joke and have a good time, so yeah.

How is everyone doing this evening?

Gamouth's photo
Mon 01/11/10 01:18 PM
Arcbound is partially right, some Board/Bios it is Delete, some it is F2, F5 or F8, some it is Insert, some it is Tab, some it is something else. If you look at the OEM splash screen (the first screen you see when you turn it on) it will tell you which key to press. Or you can try some of those mentioned and see what happens. Another thing you can try is to let it start booting into Windows then force it off by holding the power button for 10 seconds and it will come up to the OS choices menu, which will let you get to the Boot options menu and CD/DVD is on that Boot options menu.

Gamouth's photo
Mon 01/11/10 01:01 PM

What is the solution for a computer that freezes often ?. Thanks folks .

Use a slightly older, stable variation of a linux-based OS. I've had the window manager freeze, but in 10 years on dozens of linux distributions, I've never had the whole system freeze up so badly that dropping to a command line wouldn't fix it.

Love it when people give this answer. It's like saying whats the solution to a car that needs new brakes: Buy a Bicycle.

Previous 1