Community > Posts By > Lynann

Lynann's photo
Thu 04/30/09 07:51 AM
Awesome reading on this thread HAHAH

Lynann's photo
Thu 04/30/09 07:50 AM
Here's hoping the Satanist, Anarchist and well anyone else that wants to make an important point in Florida unite and request their own plate.

I am thinking an inverted cross maybe?

Lynann's photo
Thu 04/30/09 07:48 AM
So, someone who votes based on what they believe is best for the country and their constituents instead of as he is instructed to by his party is bad eh?

/Heil GOP?

You should really examine what republicans have done versus what they say before you suggest any action to me.

As entertaining as you are it's getting old.

Lynann's photo
Thu 04/30/09 07:37 AM
Real Christian attitude there thomas3474 haha

So, if I am a Christian man who believes I should be able to have multiple wives (given the many biblical examples)can I get one with a man surrounded by women? Better yet if I am a Christian who believes women should be subservient to men how about one with a man standing surrounded by women on their knees?

As the other poster pointed out...it's pretty unlikely that's what Jesus looked like. Ummm isn't there a bit in the Bible...you remember that word of God business right...that says something about worshiping graven images? Good luck with that on Judgment Day!

So, putting Jesus on your plate is okay but a vegetarian who wanted TOFU on her plate isn't allowed?

Here is a story on banned plates. Tell me how does banning all these plates jive with allowing the Jesus plate. Especially a plate that clearly depicts violence!

Vanity profanity! The 600 license plates banned by the state

Try as they might, some motorists can't outsmart officials when it comes to custom license numbers. On the other hand, sometimes seemingly illicit alphanumerics are actually demonstrably proper.
By Peter Lewis

3M3TIB looked harmless enough, so the state Department of Licensing granted the vehicle owner's request for a vanity plate to go on the woman's 2000 Ford pickup.

The party was over, however, when a cop read the personalized message in his rear view mirror as "BITEME."

Informed of the state's intent to rescind her license, the owner contended the license was but an innocent expression relating to her three kids. "3 Munchkins 3 times I believed (3M3TIB). There is no way that can be offensive to the public; it is just a way for me to express how I felt about my own children." Regulators found her argument unconvincing.

About 87,000 vehicles carry personalized plates in Washington, which works out to less than 2 percent of the 6.13 million passenger vehicles, trucks, motorcycles, and trailers that could qualify for them. Vanity plates for passenger vehicles run an extra $49.75 initially, and renewals are $32 per year. Those costs are in addition to all other fees.

The vast majority of the time, requested plates don't collide with statutory requirements that ban configurations deemed offensive to good taste and decency, or as potentially misleading, or vulgar, profane or sexually suggestive, among other standards, according to DOL spokesman Brad Benfield.

Still, in response to complaints, each year the agency reviews about a dozen personalized plates, about half of which are canceled as a result, he said. Regulators are noticing an emerging trend: the use of foreign words in an apparent attempt to elude detection.

For example, CABRON — literally Spanish for a male goat, but slang for bastard, asshole, ****er, *****, etc. — was requested and granted to the owner of a 2001 Ford pickup. (What's up with Ford pickup owners, anyway?) It, too, was revoked in response to a complaint, despite the owner's claim that all it stood for was "California Bronze."

Then there was XPEHBAM, issued to a 1991 Plymouth Voyager, a Russian phrase for which DOL turned to a Russian translator for help before deciding to cancel it.

Crosscut checked with Leszek Chudzinski, a senior librarian in Slavic languages at the Seattle Public Library, who described it as a curse word which, exported to a license plate in the U.S., amounts to "up America's ass."

As is custom when it decides it's going to cancel a plate, the agency contacted the vehicle owner to give him a chance to appeal. But the DOL never heard back from the minivan's owner, Benfield said. When a motorist's vanity plate is canceled, they have the option of seeking a less-provocative, new vanity, or accepting a standard license plus a refund.

In some cases, owners have made a compelling argument and the agency has reversed its decision to cancel a plate.

For example, the owner of a 2003 Volkswagen GTI fought back after a cop complained that his personalized plate — 0241 — read backwards said I420, which the cop contended was associated with pot-smoking culture. The owner countered that his VW was a limited edition and the plate represented the series number in the production line. "It turned out to be true," Benfield recalled, and the individual was allowed to keep the plate.

For a while, UFNWISH actually adorned a 2006 Mustang. Following a complaint, the DOL rejected the owner's explanation that he was in the military, where UFN stood for "until further notice." Hence the meaning of his vanity was that his current vehicle "was not his dream car, but he'd wait," officials said. Part of the reason regulators rejected that story was they were trying to figure out what was not to like about a late model red coupe.

On the other hand, regulators were poised to cancel DOBEE on a 1981 Alfa because it was viewed as slang for a joint. But they reconsidered after hearing the owner's explanation:

"She said it was half of an old expression her grandma used to use: 'Be a do bee, not a don't be,'" Benfield said. "It seemed reasonable and genuine, and we didn't think she was trying to sneak something by us."

Benfield is on the DOL committee that meets every couple months to review the two or three plates that have become the subject of new complaints. Of the dozen or so they consider annually, "we seem to revoke about half," he said.

On the front end, considering applications when they arrive is vehicle licensing manager Toni Wilson.

"One of the clues is what the customer puts as the meaning," Wilson said, referring to a spot on the application that calls on the owner to provide an explanation. When the answer is "obscure or doesn't make sense," it raises flags, said Wilson, adding that people "will get into a debate when things have two different meanings."

The agency routinely turns to Google and the Urban Slang Dictionary to check on acronyms or a strange combination of letters and numbers. Those web tools, along with "some young folks that work here," help the agency spot requested tags with hidden meanings or new slang terms.

In borderline cases and for the sake of free expression, it's the agency's philosophy to permit personalized plates, officials said. "Usually we'll issue them with the idea to see how it plays out," Wilson said. "If people follow up with complaints, it goes to the review board."

In the past several years, no state resident has gone to court or otherwise appealed a decision by state regulators to cancel a vanity plate number, officials said. Motorists have been more assertive about pressing their cases elsewhere, according to a recent New York Times op-ed article.

Other vanity plates that were recently denied include: BAMF (Bad Ass MoFo), GH 69 (the state disallows the use of the number 69 unless it matches the model year of the vehicle), and 2FNCUTE. Plates that were the subject of complaints that were not canceled include: DEPORT, SATAN, GTNOFF, and NICEPKG.

In 2007, the state raked in $3.1 million from vanities, with $30 of each original set of plates and each renewal going to support wildlife programs. Personalized plates are separate from "special" plates that cost up to $45 each year (on top of standard licensing fees) and are available in a variety of categories, including collegiate, military, parks, and the environment.

Those who are considering a vanity can visit a DOL Web page where queries are quickly screened against the state's database of active plates as well as a list of about 600 banned combinations [52K Excel file]. The fact that a request isn't automatically rejected doesn't necessarily mean it will be accepted.
http://crosscut.com/2008/07/24/weird/16202/

Lynann's photo
Wed 04/29/09 10:14 PM
Information...true information?

Maybe not.

So, we are fighting terrorist and people who disregard the rule of law because what they are doing is wrong by doing the same?

There's some nifty logic.

When we engage in torture we are surrendering our moral authority, acting outside the law and supplying those that hate us with proof that we really are monsters.

Oh and...it doesn't work!!

Lynann's photo
Wed 04/29/09 10:03 PM
Please check out the legal definition of fight words willing2.

As for making it personal...you positions and politics are consistent and predictable for the most part. That is why I replied that I was not surprised.

I am quite sure you yourself have looked just at a posters names, mine for instance, and guessed at their positions and politics based on previous posts so please...don't feel special.

I am no more guilty of making it personal as you or anyone else is.

I have been threatened publicly and privately on these boards and via mail on the site...even with disgusting physical violence. Those threats didn't surprise me either. Nor did they silence me.

I have no wish to pick a personal fight with you.

Lynann's photo
Wed 04/29/09 06:17 PM
Kinda sickening that you could defend those murderous bastards in any way.

Surprising no...sickening yes.

Maybe they should have killed a priest. I can hear the howling now.

Oh, and I don't give a rat's ass who reported the statements this piece of crap legislator made. They didn't put words in her mouth.

Lynann's photo
Wed 04/29/09 05:58 PM
And hate crime deniers.

Why, you ask...is this sort of legislation needed?

The House Republican chosen to lead the charge against including women, people with disabilities, and gays in America's already-existing hate crimes law - existing law already counts violent crime based on the race, religion or national origin of the victim as a "hate crime" - just referred on the US House floor to Matthew Shepard's murder as "a hoax."

You will recall that Matthew Shepard was the young gay man in Laramie, Wyoming who, a decade ago, was tied to a fence, Jesus-like, pistol whipped in the head some 50 times, then left for dead in the cold fall night, only to be found a day later clinging to life. Shepard died five days later. Even though Shepard's murderers admitted that they killed him because he was gay, the far-right bigots who control the Republican party couldn't resist the opportunity to gay-bash Shepard one last time. Now by referring to his brutal murder as a hoax.

Here is what North Carolina (figures) Republican had to say about Shepard's horrific murder:

If you didn't vote for this bill -- against this bill and against this rule for anything else, you could vote against it because we are spending additional money. i also would like to point out that there was a bill -- the hate crimes bill that's called the matthew sheppard bill is named afte a very unfortunate incident that happened where a young man was killed, but we know that that young man was killed in the commitment of a robbery. it wasn't because he was gay. this -- the bill was named for him, hate crimes bill was named for him, but it's really a hoax that that continues to be used as an excuse for passing these bills.

Now read what really happened:

During the trial, Chastity Pasley and Kristen Price (the pair's then-girlfriends) testified under oath that Henderson and McKinney both plotted beforehand to rob a gay man. McKinney and Henderson then went to the Fireside Lounge and selected Shepard as their target. McKinney alleged that Shepard asked them for a ride home. After befriending him, they took him to a remote area of Laramie where they robbed him, beat him severely (media reports often contained the graphic account of the pistol whipping and his smashed skull), and tied him to a fence with a rope from McKinney's truck. Shepard begged for his life. Both girlfriends also testified that neither McKinney nor Henderson was under the influence of drugs at the time. The beating was so severe that the only areas on Shepard's face that were not covered in blood were those where his tears had washed the blood stains away.

Media Matters has lots of links, and quotes, from the mainstream media attesting to the fact that Shepard was murdered because he was gay.

A hoax? Belittling the brutal murder of a 21 year old college student? And Republicans wonder why their angry, hateful, pathetic party is now only 20% of the US population.

Watch the video for yourself. Then feel free to call this sorry excuse for a human being and tell her what you think of her bigotry.

http://www.americablog.com/2009/04/republican-congresswoman-says-matthew.html

Phone: (202) 225-2071
Phone: (336) 778-0211
Phone: (828) 265-0240

Lynann's photo
Wed 04/29/09 10:10 AM
Ahh the stunning speed...

Impressive!

How quickly they turn on their own hahah

Just like all those who turned on Bush...

wow

Lynann's photo
Wed 04/29/09 10:06 AM
Gee...all this security and...haah

By SONJA ISGER

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Kenton Weaver's parents knew the 13-year-old boy with Autism had a burning desire to take a plane ride, but never did they imagine he'd manage to buy a ticket, snatch his dad's car, drive to the airport and take a cross-country flight.

But that's exactly what he did, leaving his dad's suburban Boca Raton house before dawn and landing around midnight east coast time in San Jose - just a few hours from his mom's home.

Kenton Weaver is diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, a form of autism. These children often have a couple deeply held fascinations and Kenton has two: food and planes.

Both parents are relieved their boy survived his first-time behind the wheel all the way to Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport and a coast-to-coast solo airplane ride, but the boy's journey leaves many troubling questions.

"I can't believe he pulled this off," said his mom, Kim Casey who lives in the Fresno area. "I'm flabberghasted."

His father, Dean Weaver, suspects Kenton used a stolen credit card number to buy a ticket on Southwest Airlines, but how could someone sell him that ticket without the actual card or photo ID?

The 13-year-old doesn't have a passport, driver license or any photo ID his father knows of, so how'd he get past airport security?

San Jose police found him in their airport last night. In addition to his mother, the boy's mother, uncle and grandfather live in the area - which was probably one of the destination's appeals. And last night he stayed with his uncle, Dean Weaver said.

Weaver hasn't made any immediate plans to fly his son back.

"I think I'd like for him to stay there for a while. I'm obviously not set up here to keep him, though I've tried," Weaver said. "I have another son, 8 years old. My fear is next time he gets in the car, he might take his little brother."

The youngster has always been a bit of wanderer, his mother said Wednesday morning as she headed north to meet with her son.

"Even at four- or five years old we've have problems with this" with him leaving home, that is, she said. "He's very bright, but at the same time has very little common sense and few inhibitions."

Kenton is diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, a form of Autism. These children often have a couple deeply held fascinations and Dean Weaver says Kenton holds two: food and planes.

"He'll do anything to go to an airport," Weaver said. "He wants to be a pilot. He applies for jobs at the airport. He collects (toy) planes. He's just fascinated."

This was not Kenton's first attempt to get to the airport.

Twice in the last week, authorities returned Kenton to his dad's house from the local Tri-Rail station where Kenton was trying to get a ride to the airport.

He told his dad he wanted to visit friends from their previous home in St. Louis, Weaver said.

"Recently he had really become extremely fixated on leaving town on a plane. He said he wanted to visit some friends in St. Louis, but I think he really just wanted to ride a plane."

Weaver has employed a team of professionals to help Kenton both academically - he attends Eagles Landing Middle School - and medically.

The boy takes medicine to address his mood swings and nervousness, Weaver said.

When the boy was hauled back home after the Tri-Rail attempts, Weaver tried giving the boy a stern talk. He said he'd also taken other precautions.

But when he woke up at 6 a.m. Tuesday, Kenton wasn't in the house. When Weaver stepped outside to look around, his 2006 Ford Explorer was gone.

"I immediately knew. I didn't know how far he'd drive, because he hadn't driven before. I was so afraid he was going to hurt someone else with the car," Weaver said. "Was he on a bus? On a plane?"

The car turned up on the third level of the airport parking garage, without a scratch.

Lynann's photo
Wed 04/29/09 09:50 AM
The issue or universal or international jurisdiction is an interesting one. It is a complex tangle that countries seem to struggle with changes in their individual governments and circumstances along with world changes.

I think it is clear that Spain has an interest in this issue. Five were after all Spanish citizens.

Here is an interesting article that folks should consider reading regarding this issue. I hope you find it helpful when thinking about this issue.

http://www.casavaria.com/cafesentido/2009/04/23/2317/bolton-asserts-only-the-us-has-international-jurisdiction/

Lynann's photo
Wed 04/29/09 09:42 AM
haha Bought right in haven't ya?

Let's look for just a second at just a few ways I could cause massive loss of life. Umm never mind let's not...I am likely already on a list.

Airliners are a drop in the bucket.

If the government was truly concerned about security in the US they would subject trucks, trains and ports to the same sort of security that they do my mother when she flies to Florida.

But...go ahead...buy the hype...remain afraid of what they tell you to be afraid of despite the fact that all you are doing is surrendering your rights, eroding the Constitution and conditioning the people to accept illegal and unreasonable searches.

I have news for you buddy...you aren't safer...there are lots of ways to kill large numbers of civilians that have nothing to do with airplanes.

Lynann's photo
Wed 04/29/09 09:29 AM
Edited by Lynann on Wed 04/29/09 09:31 AM
"Time to close the freakin' borders."

Sorry but...too little too late. With the speed of travel by the time they knew there was a risk that risk had spread already.

Right now there seem to be a few theories about this mucking about: (1) the government is hyping this threat because *insert conspiracy theory of your choice here* (2) they (again unnamed boogie men) unleashed an illness to undermine the economy or kill Americans (3) there is no threat just alarmist (4) the government will use this threat to round people up (this is a favorite of mine since what should be avoided is grouping people up) (5)this is proof the borders should be closed

What did I miss? A few things I guess.

The point is...disease is a natural process. It is a part of life no different from any other natural process. (Yes I am aware disease can be weaponized) To expect "the government" to stop or reverse it or to blame it on "the government" is especially funny when you regularly piss and moan about not wanting to pay taxes...well it's almost funny mostly it's sad that people are such sheep.

The truth is it is nearly impossible to predict with accuracy whether this will kill large amounts of people or if it will peter out or even if it will perhaps reemerge during the next flu season. Public health officials are damned if the do and damned if they don't. Downplay and people die? Raise alarm and people don't?

Paranoid speculation really serves no purpose what so ever.

Nature will have it's way.

Lynann's photo
Wed 04/29/09 08:55 AM
Ever wonder how many explosives, guns etc. have been found on potential passengers since these inspections started? What's the percentage? I am sure the TSA and DHS won't be sharing the true numbers. If they did this farce would be exposed for what it truly is.

Now don't get me wrong I am sure there are people like me who have a pen knife on their key chain the might forget to remove...but honestly...what sort of threat reduction are we talking about here?

Just last week there was a passenger on a plane, a former or current member of the armed services I don't recall which, who had explosives and arms in his carry on made it past all the screeners. The holes in security are huge obviously, look at the various stories about things being stolen from luggage in airports. That indicates a lack of security there as well.

In truth there are thousands of ways to cause massive loss of life situations...there simply is not a way to guard against all of them. This is a truth any logical reasonable person knows.

These inspections are in place to create a false sense of security, to further the fear mentality and condition the populace to accept search without probable cause.

Life is full of risks.

Lynann's photo
Wed 04/29/09 07:55 AM
Damn Willing2...feel angry, scared and insanely prejudiced much?

That statement has to be one of the worst I have ever read on these boards and that is saying a lot.

Lynann's photo
Tue 04/28/09 11:06 PM
I think I might post some articles on bigfoot sightings...you know to prove...

/cough

Lynann's photo
Tue 04/28/09 04:01 PM
This just in!!

The conspiracy broadens!

The Detroit Lions spectacularly awful draft pick was surely one more move intended to distract good people from the confirmation hearings in Washington!!

Lynann's photo
Tue 04/28/09 03:24 PM
Pro-life conspiracy nuts unite!

Lynann's photo
Tue 04/28/09 10:19 AM
WOW

This really is amazing news.

Statement by Senator Arlen Specter

April 28, 2009

I have been a Republican since 1966. I have been working extremely hard for the Party, for its candidates and for the ideals of a Republican Party whose tent is big enough to welcome diverse points of view. While I have been comfortable being a Republican, my Party has not defined who I am. I have taken each issue one at a time and have exercised independent judgment to do what I thought was best for Pennsylvania and the nation.

Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the Republican Party has moved far to the right. Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats. I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans.

When I supported the stimulus package, I knew that it would not be popular with the Republican Party. But, I saw the stimulus as necessary to lessen the risk of a far more serious recession than we are now experiencing.

Since then, I have traveled the State, talked to Republican leaders and office-holders and my supporters and I have carefully examined public opinion. It has become clear to me that the stimulus vote caused a schism which makes our differences irreconcilable. On this state of the record, I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate. I have not represented the Republican Party. I have represented the people of Pennsylvania.

I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary.

I am ready, willing and anxious to take on all comers and have my candidacy for re-election determined in a general election.

I deeply regret that I will be disappointing many friends and supporters. I can understand their disappointment. I am also disappointed that so many in the Party I have worked for for more than four decades do not want me to be their candidate. It is very painful on both sides. I thank especially Senators McConnell and Cornyn for their forbearance.

I am not making this decision because there are no important and interesting opportunities outside the Senate. I take on this complicated run for re-election because I am deeply concerned about the future of our country and I believe I have a significant contribution to make on many of the key issues of the day, especially medical research. NIH funding has saved or lengthened thousands of lives, including mine, and much more needs to be done. And my seniority is very important to continue to bring important projects vital to Pennsylvania’s economy.

I am taking this action now because there are fewer than thirteen months to the 2010 Pennsylvania Primary and there is much to be done in preparation for that election. Upon request, I will return campaign contributions contributed during this cycle.

While each member of the Senate caucuses with his Party, what each of us hopes to accomplish is distinct from his party affiliation. The American people do not care which Party solves the problems confronting our nation. And no Senator, no matter how loyal he is to his Party, should or would put party loyalty above his duty to the state and nation.

My change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans. Unlike Senator Jeffords’ switch which changed party control, I will not be an automatic 60th vote for cloture. For example, my position on Employees Free Choice (Card Check) will not change.

Whatever my party affiliation, I will continue to be guided by President Kennedy’s statement that sometimes Party asks too much. When it does, I will continue my independent voting and follow my conscience on what I think is best for Pennsylvania and America.
http://www.specter2010.com/news6.html

Lynann's photo
Tue 04/28/09 09:14 AM
Someone in Florida has a sense of humor it seems.

TALLAHASSEE -- Fighting a Republican move to approve religiously oriented specialty license tags, and bitter about proposed salary cuts for state workers, Senate Democratic Leader Al Lawson has a specialty tag idea of his own.

Worried about the separation of church and state, Democratic critics are incensed about one proposed tag that would feature an image of Christ on the cross.

Lawson's amendment to SB 2326 is called, "Can A Brotha Get a Break License Plate."

"The plate must prominently display an image of state Senator Alfred 'Al' Lawson, Jr. The phrase 'Can a Brotha Get a Break?' shall appear in bold letters on the bottom of the plate."

Proceeds from the plate would go to, "Employees Relief Fund for the purpose of offsetting salary and benefit cuts by the Legislature and providing grief counseling."

The amendment doesn't mention that Lawson is running for Congress next year.

1 2 13 14 15 17 19 20 21 24 25