Community > Posts By > howzityoume

howzityoume's photo
Sun 06/10/12 01:32 AM

Because bbc did not highlight the relevant section and yet claims the article has some point, seems to indicate he is battling to find the relevance himself.

I don't believe it indicates that at all. The pattern of BBC's posts suggest to me that he has lost interest in spending the time discussing the details of your argument. There are many possible reasons for this.

I actually have no problem with the creation of new species (macro-evolution) through evolutionary processes. I just feel this cannot explain the increased complexity found in organs and limbs, brains etc, whereby bacteria can become humans.

Oh!

I admit I have not read every single one of your posts with care, and if you said this already I missed it.

Again, I feel that defining evolution seems essential.

To me, evolution is not "a complete, definitive explanation for how and why all of life came to be on this planet". And while it is far more than 'the creation of new species', to me this is a significant sticking point for creationists.

Based on your quote above, and my concept of evolution, I would say, emphatically, that you believe in the theory of evolution. If you believe that new species can come into existence purely as a result of evolutionary processes, then you've got what matters.

It contributes to misunderstanding when we say we 'agree with the theory of evolution' or 'doubt the theory of evolution' without being very specific about which portions we are speaking of. It looks to me like you are: 'someone who believes in known evolutionary processes who doesn't think that what is know about evolution is adequate to fully explain the origin of complex life on this planet'.

Which is, also, my position. I just don't default to creationism in the face of the unknowns.

I understand your paraphrasing of my position and it is technically correct. Yet my consensus about an organism evolving into an ecological niche yet retaining the same genetic structure or having reduced complexity is completely different to evolutionist claims of evolution being the source of all complex life-forms. So you could say that I'm completely opposed to the main assumption of evolution, the evolving of complex life-forms. Observed evolution is micro-evolution and devolving into less complex life-forms (reduced gene functionality) to suit environmental ecological conditions. This flies in the face of the core claim of evolution of being the source for all complex life-forms.

All the examples listed of observed evolution in this thread do not support evolution's core assumption.

howzityoume's photo
Sun 06/10/12 01:19 AM
Edited by howzityoume on Sun 06/10/12 02:13 AM

[
What this whole article has to do with extra beneficial (non-viral) coding genes is beyond me??

Perhaps you should have kept reading to the end. The Maize example had a 50% increase in genome size over the period given and the evolutionary benefits were discussed.

It would appear you missed the point of the whole article. Evolutionary pressures can cause loss or increase in genome size depending upon evolutionary pressures. Needed traits plays an important role in that if a trait is needed to fill a niche that required a longer gene sequence, a longer gene sequence is what will evolve.

Once again you play the role of "whatever is presented backs you up 100% and you understand science better than anyone else.

However, on one point you are absolutely correct. What this whole article has to do with extra beneficial (non-viral) coding genes is beyond you.

The maize did not have beneficial coding genes, merely beneficial duplications of non-coding genes, a concept I've been mentioning during this thread.

howzityoume's photo
Fri 06/08/12 04:46 AM
Edited by howzityoume on Fri 06/08/12 04:47 AM

Read the paper, it deals with the entirety of your misconceptions on this topic. Very cool paper, and deals with ways to further explore how organisms have evolved.

;) you should stop posting links that you don't understand , its very embarassing for others to read.

I read the paper and found it easy enough to understand. I have corresponded enough with some others on these threads to get the impression that they wouldn't have much problem with it either.

You, on the other hand, have discounted every bit of evidence presented and have offered nothing in return but swarmy statements of how evolution couldn't be true because science is wrong. It is pretty obvious that you either didn't read the article above or were unable to comprehend it. It does, in fact and in great detail, explain almost every DNA growth scenario you have argued that can't happen. It gives species and timelines. It gives the mechanisms of gene reproduction and mutation.

Just like the telomere articles that you were so quick to discount, the information is so far over your head, you have great need to "make it go away" since you can't discuss it.

I never took a college biology course other than psychology but have studied in great depth ocean biology, ecosystems, global warming, and the like. After reviewing your posts, it would appear that you have not studied science and do not understand how such studies acquire knowledge.

Stating that BillyClub shouldn't post anything for any reason opens a window into your motivations and character. There are those who shouldn't post in a science thread because they don't understand science and their false statements and attempts to ridicule that which they don't understand tends to take on troll-like qualities of misinformation and distortion. You have reached that level. A ton of information has been offered to you in good faith and you appear incapable of absorbing any of it.

You should try to read the article. You might learn something.

Let me summarise that article then:

Page 1 shows that scientists have identified that genome size increases. they found that this normally relates to NON-CODING genes (that's been my consistent point in this thread).

"Research into these differences soon revealed that in many organisms much of the DNA is noncoding and often repetitive. This provided a solution to the original paradox in that it showed that apparently simple organisms probably do have fewer ESSENTIAL genes than more complex organisms, even though they sometimes have larger genomes because of larger amounts of noncoding DNA."

The author then gives two common views on these duplicate non-coding genes:
A) they are Adaptive DNA, they assist and have a function even though they are non-active duplicates.
B) they are junk DNA with no value but accumulate too fast to de-select

The author proposes his view on page 2:
C) The extra DNA could have some value, but if it doesn't have value it normally will not be de-selected by nature because it causes little damage. Only when the accumulations of duplicated genes start to cause significant fitness damage will de-selection occur through the natural processes of natural selection. The author then advocates studying each case to see what selection pressures occurred in that particular case.

He then looks into different mutations, transposable elements (order change of base-pairs within a gene), deletions/insertions. The only relevant portion is insertions, but he lists these as pseudogenes or non-coding genes (inactive).

I found the whole article well written , informative, and confirming everything I have been saying. The number of beneficial coding genes does not increase. there can be a net decrease of these through deletions, but insertions are not protein-coding (they do not add useful genetic information to the complexity of the organism)

What this whole article has to do with extra beneficial (non-viral) coding genes is beyond me??

howzityoume's photo
Thu 06/07/12 11:39 PM
To me, two essential aspect of evolution are that it works as a mechanism that allows organisms to adapt to changing circumstances, and that it leads to the creation of new species as a single species branches out into two separate niches and drift apart.

I actually have no problem with the creation of new species (macro-evolution) through evolutionary processes. I just feel this cannot explain the increased complexity found in organs and limbs, brains etc, whereby bacteria can become humans. I am eagerly awaiting more genome sequencing studies, because I personally feel there will be some shockers for creationists who have a limited view of the ability for life to rapidly evolve. If you look at the diversity found in Australia and Madagascar, both countries I'm sure will reveal extreme diversity from common ancestors. There is some indication of "bottleneck" events of each species, yet they have not confirmed this between species yet. I believe in limited macro-evolution, but I do thoroughly believe in it.

I applaud you for drawing attention to remaining unknowns in the story of how life came to be how it is on this planet, and for focusing attention on weak areas of the theory of evolution.

Thanks for the compliment and the scientific approach, appreciated :)
There are not just a few remaining unknowns , molecular biology is a new field full of exciting truths to be discovered.

howzityoume's photo
Thu 06/07/12 11:08 PM
Edited by howzityoume on Thu 06/07/12 11:10 PM

Stating that BillyClub shouldn't post anything for any reason opens a window into your motivations and character.

I said nothing like that, which shows your character :) You shouldn't get so nasty, its just a discussion :)

I said Billyclub shouldn't post something he does not understand. I feel that is logical and fair enough. If he does understand it, he could have the courtesy to point out where it contradicts my position. I feel it lacks manners to indicate that I must read this long article that supposedly disproves my position without even pointing out how or why. When I do point out how or why any links fail to disprove my position, I'm accused of ignoring science. I'm doing the opposite, I'm reading what is said, and it all shows that there is not one example of an extra beneficial (non-viral) coding gene created by nature.

howzityoume's photo
Thu 06/07/12 11:01 PM
You should try to read the article. You might learn something.

I did read parts of the article and did find it a good read. I am always learning new information about the subject nearly every day.

It just isn't relevant to our "extra beneficial coding gene" debate as far as I can see, I haven't got the time to read everything posted unless the poster has the courtesy to point out the relevant section, then I will always read that detail. Because bbc did not highlight the relevant section and yet claims the article has some point, seems to indicate he is battling to find the relevance himself. He is welcome to point out the relevant section, but I doubt a debate about the usefulness of duplications will be relevant to adding an extra coding beneficial gene to the genome.(non-viral)

howzityoume's photo
Thu 06/07/12 10:52 PM

1) It is an artificial process to insert a new string of genes into a plant's genome, we are looking for natural processes.
How do you think we have learned to do this? Do you know what an ERV is? I will spell it out for you, Endogenous retrovirus. They occurred in nature long before we learned to make use of them for our own benefit.

The embarrassment in this thread is all yours, sadly I think you fail to even realize that.

ERV's are always recognisable as ERV's. They remain distinctive as additional insertions no matter how long they have been part of the genome. That is why for a couple of pages I was saying that evolution has to explain extra "non-viral" genes, it just becomes difficult for me to keep typing out "extra functional active beneficial non-viral protein coding genes" every time we are discussing these issues. Its not like the virus is ever absorbed into the genome in such a manner as to become indistinguishable from other coding genes, they are always recognised as separate insertions. If somehow they could adapt into normal genes they then could explain how humans came from bacteria.

howzityoume's photo
Thu 06/07/12 12:34 AM

I have a question to ask and this seems a place to ask it.
We call the forced adaptations which Monsanto makes to seed/plant genetics "GMO". Are they in effect creating new genes or will the plant's genes, after several or many generations, revert or are they in fact changed to the point of new genes?

Perhaps Monsanto doesn't know, but just thought I'd ask. The reason being that we are told that the plant itself and 'fruit' it brings is no different, that it is still the same species, with no detractions or additions to the quality we have always known.

So it is a confusing issue or is just confusing for those of us who lack sufficient education in this area? Well, I'm trying to learn, so your responses will be appreciated.

Well I was wondering when someone was going to bring up this point, which is very valid to the current debate. Yes genetic modifications do often involve insertions of genes to the genome. This does involve some improvements to the "food" produced. But as you know, we are uncertain whether we will have damaging side-effects by eating this genetically altered food.

Regarding this being the solution to the evolutionist's claims , it would not meet the criteria on 2 grounds:
1) It is an artificial process to insert a new string of genes into a plant's genome, we are looking for natural processes.
2) The extra genes may not be beneficial to the plant. These plants are designed for food and farming purposes, they are highly unlikely to have more hardiness if left alone in nature. Some of them lack seeds, impossible for them to reproduce in nature. It would be interesting to see if they can create more hardy plants, I'm sure they would be able to, but that's not their focus

howzityoume's photo
Wed 06/06/12 11:13 PM
Edited by howzityoume on Wed 06/06/12 11:15 PM

Read the paper, it deals with the entirety of your misconceptions on this topic. Very cool paper, and deals with ways to further explore how organisms have evolved.

;) you should stop posting links that you don't understand , its very embarassing for others to read.

howzityoume's photo
Wed 06/06/12 11:03 PM
Edited by howzityoume on Wed 06/06/12 11:26 PM

Here's where it would be useful to define exactly what we mean by evolution.

To me, two essential aspect of evolution are that it works as a mechanism that allows organisms to adapt to changing circumstances, and that it leads to the creation of new species as a single species branches out into two separate niches and drift apart.

There are many unknowns in the story of exactly how life came to be on this planet, and I'm okay with that.

People who are not comfortable with "we don't know yet" will sometimes turn to any explanation they can find, even supernatural explanations.

The details of the origin of prokaryotic (sp?) DNA is a mystery to me, and, like abiogenesis, is outside of the domain of the theory of evolution.

I applaud you for drawing attention to remaining unknowns in the story of how life came to be how it is on this planet, and for focusing attention on weak areas of the theory of evolution.

However, to think that this places creationism on equal footing strikes me a a pure 'god of the gaps' style thinking.

Well if you did not have Darwin creating an instantly acceptable worldwide theory of macro-evolution based on his well written observations of micro-evolution and the fossil record, we would be looking at the current evidence with more of an open mind. Neither instinctive logic nor highly detailed analysis would assume evolution from looking at current genome sequencing. The molecular biological evidence, if you are unbiased, points to the sudden appearance of a string of coded genes, followed by deteriation. That is all the evidence is showing, with a few minor improvements among many many damaging mutations. But even the improvements show lessening complexity over time, dead and damaged genes with some beneficial trade-off to the loss of functionality. Unclouded by Darwin, the facts point to devolution, the ability of natural selection to filter out these damaging mutations faster than they are being created is not observed. There is net damage occurring, not net improvements. There is loss of functionality to fill ecological gaps, not increased functionality. Natural selection occurs, true, its a natural process, so some aspects of evolution are observed, but not enough to create an organism with the increased functionality of more coding genes. Some new species can be created through observed processes, true, but generally the chromosomal pattern of coding genes remains consistent.

The fossil record, without evolutionary bias, actually supports neither. It seems to indicate sudden insertions of new fauna/flora over time with micro-evolution causing extra diversity. The more living fossils found, the more likely one sudden insertion of flora and fauna appears.

howzityoume's photo
Wed 06/06/12 11:41 AM
Edited by howzityoume on Wed 06/06/12 11:53 AM
So we have 'new to the lexicon' and 'new = lengthening the sentence'.

I may not be understanding you, but you seem (elsewhere) to be operating on the assumption that both have to happen simultaneously.

It seems totally reasonable to me that these two processes can occur separately: (a) the 'sentence can be lengthened' without the addition of uniquely new functional words, and that (b) 'new to the lexicon' words can be added without 'increasing the length of the sentence'.

(edited) If we allow for this possibility, then we need NOT worry about the lack of any proven situation in which a a gene is simultaneously 'new' in both respects.

No they don't have to happen simultaneously. If a previously non-coding region becomes a coding region in a manner beneficial to the organism, this would certainly make your point. But a duplication resulting in extra non-coding genes, plus some mutated coding genes that have added some function would not make your point.

The problem is that the human genome is actually showing MORE unique new functional "words" than bacteria, not just better or changed words, so the bigger genome with more non-coding regions and some transformed genes would not explain humans, which have more functional coding genes than bacteria.

Evolutionists are crediting evolution with the appearance of the extra beneficial functional genes, when in reality these non-coding regions of the genome do not activate in a beneficial manner. If they ever activate its in a highly damaging manner (Down's syndrome).

howzityoume's photo
Wed 06/06/12 11:03 AM
Edited by howzityoume on Wed 06/06/12 11:12 AM

Hi

I don't know if this was meant for me, but I don't want to be told later in the thread that I don't face the evidence put forward. If you can understand I am dealing with 5 seperate people posting links for me to look at, could you kindly post the relevant portion or refer me to a relevant paragraph in this link, if it was meant for me.

On first glance a large portion of the article was referring to the merits of duplications. I personally believe non-coding regions do have benefit and cause selective pressure, the writer of the article seems to think the only selective pressure is the limit to which the organism can cope with the duplications. I believe duplications protect an organism from mutation through in a sense being a "back-up". This is why the E coli fared better with a cloned resistance gene when confronted with a hostile environment. And so I believe duplications via mutatons can be beneficial and naturally selected to become dominant in an organism.
The paper deals in mechanisms for genome growth, something you have denied can occur. It took maybe 5 minutes of google to find an example, there are more. I am done here, I have no dog in the fight and it seems you are more interested in ignoring evidence than explaining the evidence.

Misrepresentation! lol I have never denied that duplications can occur. I have denied that duplications can cause active AND beneficial genes. What's the use of "junk DNA", extra inactive chromosomes and genes, this will not create a human from bacteria, you need that 1000 gene organism to start gaining extra functions (via active beneficial genes) over time to become a human.

howzityoume's photo
Wed 06/06/12 10:57 AM
Edited by howzityoume on Wed 06/06/12 11:45 AM

howzityoume's photo
Wed 06/06/12 01:20 AM
Edited by howzityoume on Wed 06/06/12 01:28 AM

De Novo Gene Origination
Figure 1New genes can additionally originate de novo from noncoding regions of DNA. Indeed, several novel genes derived from noncoding DNA have recently been described in Drosophila (Begun et al., 2007; Levine et al., 2006). For these recently originated Drosophila genes with LIKELY protein-coding abilities, there are no homologues in any other species. Note, however, that the de novo genes described in various species thus far include both protein-coding and noncoding genes. These new genes sometimes originate in the X chromosome, and they often have male germ-line functions.

"LIKELY protein-coding abilities" You getting close ;)

That was a very good example of what I'm looking for, however so far it just looks like a mutated non-coding gene. Unique because it has been damaged. Even if it is proven to be a coding region, these activated duplications are always damaging, not beneficial. For example, Downs Syndrome involves extra, yet protein-coding genes, so these do exist. However not beneficially.

howzityoume's photo
Wed 06/06/12 12:53 AM

Your comment seems to imply that ALL mutations involve new genes. I know you can't mean that but that is what you seem to be saying.
Beneficial mutations observed in nature involve de-activated genes, or missing genes or inactive genes. A mutation is a distortion in the genome not previously there, it does not have to involve gene insertions or duplications.

I believe you guys still seem to be missing each other wrt what it means to 'add a new gene'.

Consider this sentence:

>> I like the cat.

I can 'add a new word' to the sentence like this:

>> I like the red cat.

Or I can 'add a new word' to the lexicon like this:

>> I like the yat.

Yat is a 'new word'. This hasn't increased the length of this sentence, but it is a new word.

Edit: He made the point I was trying to make more concisely: "but it seems reasonable to me to think that it would be more likely that one mutation would provide increased genetic material and further mutations result in changes in that material."

I would say that "yat" to "cat" is a changed word in the sentence, not a new word. Sorry the semantics of this thread are confusing people and this was probably my fault, but you are right, I'm referring to an EXTRA gene as an added gene. I'm looking for examples of extra genes, where say a 22000 gene organism becomes a 22001 gene organism, the extra gene being a coding active gene with a unique function. Evolution requires this process.

howzityoume's photo
Wed 06/06/12 12:43 AM
Edited by howzityoume on Wed 06/06/12 12:46 AM

This is logical to me, and I agree this is what is currently being observed. I would rather call this a changed gene than a new gene, but for semantic reasons I don't mind you calling this a new gene. Yet a new gene coming from a previous gene, does not explain evolution, where a single gene organism can one day become 1000 gene bacteria. And then eventually become a 10000 gene insect. And eventually become a 22000 gene human. This involves MORE active unique beneficial genes, not changed genes or less genes. This process of useful functional genes being added to the genome is just an interesting theory, that unfortunately has been adopted as fact by the scientific community.

Sorry I didn't read your post clearly, you were referring to the activating of previously inactive non-coding genes, and yet I thought you meant the re-activation or changing of already active genes. Apology for not reading properly :)

To answer your question, the process you are describing is unlikely because:
1) I do not see how a duplicate gene would be activated with a new function if its dormant with a previous function.
Each unique functional coding gene is a unique combination of about 100 000 base pairs depending on the organism and the gene, how does nature set up that gene with a new unique function? By what process?
2) This activating of non-coding genes into new functional genes is not observed.

howzityoume's photo
Wed 06/06/12 12:11 AM
Edited by howzityoume on Wed 06/06/12 12:22 AM

Hi

I don't know if this was meant for me, but I don't want to be told later in the thread that I don't face the evidence put forward. If you can understand I am dealing with 5 seperate people posting links for me to look at, could you kindly post the relevant portion or refer me to a relevant paragraph in this link, if it was meant for me.

On first glance a large portion of the article was referring to the merits of duplications. I personally believe non-coding regions do have benefit and cause selective pressure, the writer of the article seems to think the only selective pressure is the limit to which the organism can cope with the duplications. I believe duplications protect an organism from mutation through in a sense being a "back-up". This is why the E coli fared better with a cloned resistance gene when confronted with a hostile environment. And so I believe duplications via mutatons can be beneficial and naturally selected to become dominant in an organism.

howzityoume's photo
Tue 06/05/12 11:25 PM
Edited by howzityoume on Wed 06/06/12 12:15 AM
Some new genes are not what you would call functional and some seem to displace or perhaps replace genes that pre-existed the new one. In fact we have many genes (warning, laymans terms) which, though they could be functional, are not 'switched on', so to speak, so are not being expressed. So the question is, why wouldn't it seem logical to you that new genes are not necessarily meant to be additions to but rather replacement for unuseful genes?

This is logical to me, and I agree this is what is currently being observed. I would rather call this a changed gene than a new gene, but for semantic reasons I don't mind you calling this a new gene. Yet a new gene coming from a previous gene, does not explain evolution, where a single gene organism can one day become 1000 gene bacteria. And then eventually become a 10000 gene insect. And eventually become a 22000 gene human. This involves MORE active unique beneficial genes, not changed genes or less genes. This process of useful functional genes being added to the genome is just an interesting theory, that unfortunately has been adopted as fact by the scientific community.

What would be so beneficial about continued genetic build up? Wouldn't it make more sense for such species to adapt in small ways and delete the old progamming?

Yes I completely agree with you. This is how beneficial mutations are occurring, and are observed. But this is devolving, beneficial reduced complexity over time causing selective pressure resulting in better adaptation to modern environments.

You ask about the benefits of genetic build-up, organisms have unique genes with specific functions that according to evolution did not exist in bacteria and then evolved. I'm saying this is not observed, this adding of genes.

howzityoume's photo
Tue 06/05/12 11:10 PM
Edited by howzityoume on Tue 06/05/12 11:13 PM

The above statement is simply false.

They are functional genes. You just don't understand any of it because you have a predetermined position that you cannot change. You are making the rules up as you see fit for your predetermined purpose. The "superbug" is recent, a perfect example, and you glaze over every similar example as your version of "having no merit" for BS reasons.

The irony here is that from a Christian perspective, you making up false statements and stating incorrectly what has transpired on this thread to back up your false statements is considered in Christian circles to be pretty vile.

http://www.naturalnews.com/superbug.html

The "superbug".

Another useless example that is missing the entire point. There is no added gene in the superbug, just natural selection of the bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.

I have no problem with "evolving", the natural selection of the fittest.

I have a problem with a single gene organism becoming 2 genes, then 3 genes, then 4 genes ......... then 21999 genes, then 22000 genes, each gene with a unique function. This process would involve the creation of new genes with new functions.

Show me an example when a unique beneficial gene is added to the genome succesfully in nature.

Rare genetic fusion caused superbug NDM1, study finds
Kounteya Sinha & Durgesh Nandan Jha, TNN Feb 11, 2012, 03.14AM IST
Tags:

University of Cardiff|
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital|
NDM1|
Dr Mark Toleman

NEW DELHI: A "highly rare genetic fusion" between two previously-known antibiotic-resistant genes gave birth to the dangerous Indian superbug metallo-beta-lactamase, NDM1.

This fusion also gave NDM1 the power to easily jump between various species of bacteria at superfast speed and consequently making them drug resistant too.

British scientists, who first reported the NDM1 last year, has now found through genetic DNA studies that NDM1 - by jumping between bacteria strains - can make several diseases they cause in humans, resistant to known antibiotics.

The latest study published in the medical journal, "Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy", also dismisses the argument that the superbug NDM1 has been in the environment for many years.

The study's lead author Dr Mark Toleman from the University of Cardiff said "We now know that NDM1 got created very recently and any ideas that suggest it is found everywhere and has been around for ever are baseless."

He added, "Usually the DNA of such genes change frequently. However, in NDM1 we saw no such change, hence it has recently been created. It may have originated from a bacterium in the environment that didn't harm humans. After the fusion, it started jumping from one bacterium to another making several diseases caused by them resistant to drugs. It spreads mostly through fecal oral route. It's a rare fusion event that gave birth to NDM1."

The team says that when they first reported the existence of the NDM1, it was isolated only in E Coli.

Now, it has jumped to over 20 different species of bacteria. The latest study says, "This is unequivocal evidence that NDM1 is a chimera." A chimera is a single organism that is composed of two or more different populations of genetically distinct cells originating from different entities.

The study says, "We sequence comparisons to show that NDM1 is a chimeric gene that has risen by the fusion of a pre-existing MBL gene with the resistance gene aphA6. We propose that the resulting changes in NDM1 expression and the properties of the expressed protein partially explain the greater success with which NDM1 has disseminated as compared to other MBLs that confer a similar resistance type."

Dr Chand Wattal, chairman of department of clinical microbiology at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, said, "The genetic fusion between antibiotic resistant genes is possible and NDM1 could be a result of it."

Dr M C Misra, chief of the AIIMS Trauma Centre, said that mutation of genes is a natural process and it has been seen that the new species that evolve through the process are more virulent.

"This phenomenon is present across the world. But in India, the risk is bigger because misuse and abuse of antibiotics are higher. There is possibility of even the commonest of bacteria and viruses treatable with first or second generation drugs at present getting resistant and untreatable," said Dr Misra.

He said that a stringent policy of sale and purchase of antibiotics and its usage in hospital setting is the need of the hour. The study adds, "Carbapenems are potent antibiotics that are reserved for life threatening bacterial infections. However, their effectiveness is increasingly compromised by resistance. The NDM1 was unknown before 2008 and we have previously shown that it is widely disseminated in the UK and South Asia. We have also identified NDM1 genes in a broad range of bacteria isolated from the environment in New Delhi including the serious pathogens Shigella boydii and Vibrio cholerae. Possession of NDM1 confers resistance to all classes of antibiotics like penicillin, cephalosporin and carbapenem."

The scientists after testing Delhi's water supply had earlier said that NDM1 gene had spread to the bacteria that caused cholera and dysentery in the country.

The scientists had said the NDM gene was present in Delhi's public water supply used by locals for drinking, washing and preparing their food. Initially, it was thought to be hospital-acquired. Scientists made another important finding - the transfer rate (rate at which the NDM-1 gene is copied and transferred between different bacteria) was highest at 30°C - a temperature common in Delhi for almost seven months in a year, from April to October.

Coauthor Timothy R Walsh, professor of medical microbiology at Cardiff University, had earlier told TOI that the carriage rate of NDM-1 in India is between 100 million and 200 million.

Checkmate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gene_Fusion_Types.png

Maybe you misunderstand the meaning of the word "fusion". Its two genes joining. It sorta sounds like a gene from the outside joins an organism, making one extra gene, but that is not what gene fusion means. Instead what it really is , is two genes within the organism joining together, making one "hybrid" gene. It could be seen as a gene reduction process, not a gene adding process.

This does not assist with explaining evolution of a single gene organism becoming 2 genes then 3 genes (then 1000 genes - bacteria) then 21999 genes then 22000 genes to become a human.

What process would add those useful unique protein-coding genes?

howzityoume's photo
Mon 06/04/12 11:28 PM
Edited by howzityoume on Mon 06/04/12 11:30 PM

The above statement is simply false.

They are functional genes. You just don't understand any of it because you have a predetermined position that you cannot change. You are making the rules up as you see fit for your predetermined purpose. The "superbug" is recent, a perfect example, and you glaze over every similar example as your version of "having no merit" for BS reasons.

The irony here is that from a Christian perspective, you making up false statements and stating incorrectly what has transpired on this thread to back up your false statements is considered in Christian circles to be pretty vile.

http://www.naturalnews.com/superbug.html

The "superbug".

Another useless example that is missing the entire point. There is no added gene in the superbug, just natural selection of the bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.

I have no problem with "evolving", the natural selection of the fittest.

I have a problem with a single gene organism becoming 2 genes, then 3 genes, then 4 genes ......... then 21999 genes, then 22000 genes, each gene with a unique function. This process would involve the creation of new genes with new functions.

Show me an example when a unique beneficial gene is added to the genome succesfully in nature.