Community > Posts By > howzityoume

howzityoume's photo
Mon 06/04/12 03:41 PM
Edited by howzityoume on Mon 06/04/12 03:45 PM

The idea that 'all the genes were there in the beginning' is so ridiculous that it is difficult to talk about without sounding patronizing.

I've been avoiding the fossil record because these discussions get highly varied and detailed and so its easier and clearer to have one discussion topic at the time. (this is the reason I ignore the insults and general strawmen arguments against creationists that are often included in these discussions).

I don't mind starting that discussion now, maybe you guys would like to shelve the "added gene" discussion seeing as the discussion seems to be frustrating you, I have summarised below my feelings on that whole discussion topic, and I do feel we have both stated our cases quite clearly.

Regarding the fossil record, just for starters, let me tell you what would happen if there was a small landmass, an anoxic and sulphuric ocean filled with bacteria and trilobites. The bacteria have the shortest life-spans, many generations would be found dead before the first dead trilobite. As oceans got more oxygenated over time, so a few unique freshwater fish could adapt to the saltwater conditions (experiments have shown that some freshwater fish can adapt, agreed through natural selection). Parts of the ocean floors rise above sea lavel, meaning land fauna and flora can take hold on what was previously ocean floor. Their fossils are obviously found above bacteria and trilobites and fish.

So the first mistakes of evolutionists is incorrectly assuming that trilobites evolved from bacteria, and land fauna and flora evolved later. The geologic record is showing the layers in that sequence, and yet simultaneously geologists admit to very little landmass during the widespread trilobite stage. The fossils of the original insertion of land fauna and flora could have been simultaneous and already discovered and yet that particular enclave is not yet dated, or even currently sitting under the oceans. The assumption of "evolving" is merely an assumption not fully taking into account the already admitted small landmass of that era. So creationists are missing land fossils of the same radiometric dating as the trilobites, evolutionists are missing these intermediate transitional fossils in the correct places on the geologic timescale. (half bacteria/half trilobite plus more intermediate stages).

These types of arguments can follow through the entire geologic column, with obvious reasons for the proliferation of each type of layer put forward by both evolutionists and creationists. Both parties are missing fossils and giving specific reasons why those types of fossils would be rare in that particular layer. Neither view has an advantage over the other view, because of the lack of respectively "transitional fossils" and "carboniferous mammal/human fossils".

So I will answer the question more correctly, and more accurately:
1) mutations are the theoretical method of addding active genes, although how mutations can actually activate a new functional gene is unknown.
2) these types of mutations of beneficial new genes activating are never observed in reality
These responses are so ridiculous that its difficult to comment. Clearly you ignore the very simple explanations provided by myself and others. There's no point in explaining it further since honesty plays no role in how you form beliefs.

When did you show me an example of an additional unique beneficial functional gene being introduced by nature into the genome? The examples given in this thread were for example: artifically inserted "clones", or of a "dead gene" (Duffy gene), or of a changed gene (plastic eating bacteria). Each time an example was given, I explained how that example is an irrelevant process to explain the observation of modern genomes containing many thousands of unique active genes.

I'm not ignoring simple explanations, I'm emphasizing that your beliefs are not supported by observation, and each example given by pro-evolutionists in this thread has not explained how nature adds a unique functional protein-coding gene to the genome. Duplications and insertions are not such. They can add hardiness , but they are duplicate genes, not unique functional genes.

howzityoume's photo
Mon 06/04/12 01:29 AM
Edited by howzityoume on Mon 06/04/12 02:27 AM
1) mutations, obviously.
2) all the time.

Hmm we seem to be going in circles here. The mutations that are observed are nearly always damaging, and when they are beneficial do not involve the activation of new protein-coding genes.

So I will answer the question more correctly, and more accurately:
1) mutations are the theoretical method of addding active genes, although how mutations can actually activate a new functional gene is unknown.
2) these types of mutations of beneficial new genes activating are never observed in reality

That's why I don't even think the introduction of new protein coding, active genes is possible, let alone the cause of modern life-forms

. Are you just making stuff up now?
Humans have about 20,000 good protein-coding genes and about 100 broken ones. Please explain why you think the number 100 is larger than the number 20,000.
http://www.livescience.com/18518-humans-broken-genes.html

LOL, well said, but you are answering this from an evolutionist assumption that the 20000 genes have evolved. I see 20000 genes that have always been there, 100 damaged genes and no sign of any "transitional genes" or new genes or half-active genes or new sets of base-pairs becoming genes, or genes splitting into two genes each with a different function.

howzityoume's photo
Sun 06/03/12 04:29 AM

Your comment seems to imply that ALL mutations involve new genes. I know you can't mean that but that is what you seem to be saying.
Beneficial mutations observed in nature involve de-activated genes, or missing genes or inactive genes. A mutation is a distortion in the genome not previously there, it does not have to involve gene insertions or duplications.

I believe you guys still seem to be missing each other wrt what it means to 'add a new gene'.

Consider this sentence:

>> I like the cat.

I can 'add a new word' to the sentence like this:

>> I like the red cat.

Or I can 'add a new word' to the lexicon like this:

>> I like the yat.

Yat is a 'new word'. This hasn't increased the length of this sentence, but it is a new word.

Edit: He made the point I was trying to make more concisely: "but it seems reasonable to me to think that it would be more likely that one mutation would provide increased genetic material and further mutations result in changes in that material."

Yes, by that sentence I assume that Rockon and I are now discussing the same issue.

howzityoume's photo
Sun 06/03/12 03:48 AM
Edited by howzityoume on Sun 06/03/12 03:54 AM

Do you view these duplications as redundant, unchanging, nearly useless segments of DNA?
Personally, I see them as excess genetic material, perfect for providing the tools for future mutations. You seem to be asking for a mutation that both provides new DNA and provides a benefit - I'm no evolutionary biologist but it seems reasonable to me to think that it would be more likely that one mutation would provide increased genetic material and further mutations result in changes in that material.

Thanks again for discussing the topic at hand, maybe others have meant to say this but have not quite said it.

Yes I do believe that what molecular biology is currently revealing is that duplications are nearly redundant, nearly useless segments of DNA. They do have a use when it comes to hardiness because in a sense the more duplications, the more "backup systems" an organism has, but in itself this does not explain the evolutionary claims of an increasing number of useful active genes over time.

1) What theoretical process would activate those duplicated genes into new genes with new functions?
2) Is this observed anywhere in nature?

Reduced complexity hey? Lets compare this with what we see in the fossil record.
In the oldest (deepest) layers we have simple prokaryotic cells. After they 'reduced in complexity' they were followed by complex (eukaryotic) cells. After those cells lost complexity they resulted in simple multicellular animals. As more and more complexity was reduced we see the rise of shell-bearing animals, then fish, then amphibians, then reptiles, then mammals like the highly complex humans we have today. It would seem that according to your claim, the more reduced complexity there is, the more complex that creatures become.
...doesn't really make sense does it.

I mentioned the support for devolution (and micro-evolution) in "ecological observations and molecular biology". You are now discussing the fossil record so I'm not sure if you are acknowledging the fact that molecular biology is indicating that the average organism, even the most naturally selected currently "fit" ones, are more full of damaged mutations than beneficial mutations? Because seriously when you look into genome sequencing you see that damaging mutations occur far too rapidly for a population to naturally DE-select the mutations out of population. These damaging mutations just would not exist across entire populations of nearly every organism if natural selection was as effective as it should be.

ie Why is evolution reversing suddenly as soon as molecular biologists study genome sequencing? ;-) (I'm stirring here, lol)

howzityoume's photo
Sat 06/02/12 05:55 AM
Edited by howzityoume on Sat 06/02/12 06:22 AM

Beneficial mutations reveal that biological systems were not fully developed. They also reveal that a creator is not required for change to occur. \

And natural selection is self evident so when one accepts that beneficial mutations occur and natural selection occurs, then they essentiall accept that evolution occurs.

God created organisms with the ability to evolve, I have no problem with that and this does not contradict creation. I do have a problem with evolutionists saying that evolution is the only possible way that modern life-forms exist, when molecular biology points to devolution rather than evolution. Reduced complexity, extinctions, and rapid micro-evolution to fill the ecological gaps left behind from extinctions is what ecological observations and molecular biology are indicating. Speciation through chromosomal polymorphism is often due to damaged chromosomal patterns, not improved ones. Increased fitness is often due to inactive/damaged genes, not added genes.

The evidence for evolution is lacking? lol. It was overwhelmingly strong a century ago, and has been proven stronger every day since.

If you look at the evidence through unbiased eyes you would see devolution in the latest genome sequencing, not evolution. Later sub-species showing increased damage in the genome, not improvements.

You have repeatedly stated that you accept that beneficial mutations occur. It is common knowledge that mutations result in new genes and I explained how in very simple terms. So you're wrong.
(being wrong is not very good because then you end up being wrong)

?? Your comment seems to imply that ALL mutations involve new genes. I know you can't mean that but that is what you seem to be saying.
Beneficial mutations observed in nature involve de-activated genes, or missing genes or inactive genes. A mutation is a distortion in the genome not previously there, it does not have to involve gene insertions or duplications.

I see you chose only the examples that do not refute your argument. How surprising.

No , these were the only examples put forward by pro-evolutionists in this thread, those examples made my point for me. Thank you for being the first to focus on gene-adding mutations, which is what evolution requires if it is the source of some of the more complex modern organisms.

Therefore, any evidence that shows how new useful genes are created simply "doesn't count" because they can't accept the idea that their beliefs are wrong.

Unfortunately you have not given any examples of new useful genes being added , when you do this, it will count. It cannot count yet because no-one has provided the evidence. Do you think I just made-up this stuff about added genes when I first started on this thread?? No, I've seen the arguments for and against and was quite shocked that evolution has so little evidence and yet evolutionists are confident in their "theory" (hypothesis).

The E coli clone genes were created in an unnatural manner, and cloned genes are inactive duplicates that are "backups". You have given no further evidence for natural proceses that can create the type of non-cloned non-viral genes found in a human.

howzityoume's photo
Sat 06/02/12 04:15 AM

I have been trying to find this "Andrew Lenski" I think you're right. Thank you for the correction; it was late and I was reading something by Dembski, a creationist, whom was commenting on Lenski's work and I mixed up the names Lenski and Dembski.

And you made up the name Andrew? His name is William Dembski. Everyone is entitled to make mistakes, no problem, but I still can't find the comments Dembski made regarding an added gene. Did Lenski or Dembski mention beneficial added genes?

Regardless I found the irony of your non-existent "Andrew Lenski" being criticised for being incorrect as hilarious, not meaning to mock, its just very very funny.

LOL you still not getting it! You highlight this fact when you emphasize that a gene can change its form through changes in the four bases. This does not add a gene to the genome.
Of course it does. The creation of new genes is not the creation of new genes? That's news to me.

In fact, here is an article you can check out - it discusses how new genes are created via gene duplication, transposable element protein domestication, lateral gene transfer, gene fusion, gene fission, and de novo origination.
http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/origins-of-new-genes-and-pseudogenes-835?

Duplications cause "junk DNA". Dormant unused inactive genes. Humans have 32000 active useful non-viral genes, where did these come from?

Here's his paper on pubmed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11572987
You don't need to buy it though, the abstract says enough: "In this study, we measured the fitness in four environments of 26 genotypes of Escherichia coli, each containing a single random insertion mutation...Beneficial mutations are generally thought to be rare but, surprisingly, at least three mutations (12%) significantly improved fitness in maltose..." etc.

I enjoyed this article because I feel it's the first real challenge to my main point in this entire thread. You have insertions that are beneficial.

However I do have 3 problems with that study being a refutaton of my main point regarding ACTIVE ADDED GENES being beneficial.

Firstly, the insertions were done in a very artificial manner, not found in nature.
Secondly these are clone genes, and not new unique genes as found in the human genome.
Thirdly clone genes are NOT ACTIVE.

Often even entire chromosomes are duplicated naturally in nature. This causes some damage because it takes longer for the DNA strand to form when there are duplicate chromosomes. But these additional chromosomes can also be of some benefit because it causes the organism to be more hardy. The one chromosome remains dormant, basically "junk DNA", and yet with the potential to activate. Thus if there is any damage to one chromosome, the other one remains active and functional, thus mainaining the "hardiness" or resistance of the organism to outside genetically damaging influences. In this manner CLONE insertions or DUPLICATIONS can add to fitness, however they do not add useful active genes, they create dormant backup genes and therefore increased hardiness. These clones and duplications therefore cannot be used as an explanation for the appearance of advanced life forms with 32000 active unique and useful non-viral genes.

howzityoume's photo
Sat 06/02/12 04:15 AM
Edited by howzityoume on Sat 06/02/12 04:56 AM
I have been trying to find this "Andrew Lenski" I think you're right. Thank you for the correction; it was late and I was reading something by Dembski, a creationist, whom was commenting on Lenski's work and I mixed up the names Lenski and Dembski.

And you made up the name Andrew? His name is William Dembski. Everyone is entitled to make mistakes, no problem, but I still can't find the comments Dembski made regarding an added gene.

Regardless I found the irony of your non-existent "Andrew Lenski" being criticised for being incorrect as hilarious, not meaning to mock, its just very very funny.

LOL you still not getting it! You highlight this fact when you emphasize that a gene can change its form through changes in the four bases. This does not add a gene to the genome.
Of course it does. The creation of new genes is not the creation of new genes? That's news to me. .

Its not adding an extra functional gene to the genome, which is required for evolution as an explantion for the appearance of complex life forms.

In fact, here is an article you can check out - it discusses how new genes are created via gene duplication, transposable element protein domestication, lateral gene transfer, gene fusion, gene fission, and de novo origination.
http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/origins-of-new-genes-and-pseudogenes-835?

Duplications cause "junk DNA". Dormant unused inactive genes. Humans have 32000 active useful non-viral genes, where did these come from?

Here's his paper on pubmed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11572987
You don't need to buy it though, the abstract says enough: "In this study, we measured the fitness in four environments of 26 genotypes of Escherichia coli, each containing a single random insertion mutation...Beneficial mutations are generally thought to be rare but, surprisingly, at least three mutations (12%) significantly improved fitness in maltose..." etc.

This is what appears to have happened to those E coli bacteria, they were artificially inserted with an extra cloned gene that involved resistance to tetracycline. They were then placed in an environment that encourages the production of tetracycline (maltose). Those with the extra resistance gene showed more fitness in the maltose environment but not in other environments.

I enjoyed this article because I feel it's the first real challenge to my main point in this entire thread. You have insertions that are beneficial.

However I do have 3 problems with that study being a refutaton of my main point regarding ACTIVE ADDED GENES being beneficial.

Firstly, the insertions were done in a very artificial manner, not found in nature.
Secondly these are clone genes, and not new unique active genes as found in the human genome.
Thirdly clone genes are NOT ACTIVE.

Clones or duplications are basically backup genes that would normally cause less fitness because the DNA takes longer to form with more material to form. But in some instances having the dormant backup genes becomes very important when the particular environment is highly dependent on that one gene. These type of additions of inactive genes to the genome do not explain the existence of 32000 active, non-cloned, non viral beneficial genes in a human.

howzityoume's photo
Sat 06/02/12 02:35 AM

The problem with christian creationists is that they have no interest in the truth, they're interested in holding on to their archaic interpretation of Genesis.

This is wrong and unfair. I have known intelligent, honest Christians who started out as anti-evolution creationists, and eventually came see that evolution was strongly evidenced. They evolved into 'creation through evolution' types.

There are many intelligent and honest christian creationists who are interested in truth, they have just only had access to a limited subset of the relevant facts.

There are also honest intelligent and well educated evolutionists that became creationists when looking at the evidence.

howzityoume's photo
Sat 06/02/12 12:34 AM

I am also trying to understand what you mean here. I am guessing you mean we do not have examples of bacteria evolving into a higher life form.
I often hear creationists demand evidence of bacteria being observed to evolve into a higher life form and I chuckle every time since that would be evidence against evolution, not for it. I don't think that's what you were doing, just making an observation.

In layman's language, its a funny fact that if you destroy some genes it can sometimes have a benefit, but if you add some active genes this is destructive.
Andrew Lenski, a staunch creationist who spends his entire life lying about evolution and promoting creationism, wrote a paper that explained that an addition mutation in E coli increased its fitness in certain environments (mainly, in maltose). He of course spun it in a way where the evidence for evolution sounds like evidence against it. Its not like his audience is very discerning or knowledgeable after all. But still, even creationists admit that addition mutations can be beneficial.

Speaking of E coli, an insertion mutation was observed to allow it to utilize salicin in another experiment as well.

Not that it should matter. A beneficial mutation of any kind makes the idea of creationism look pretty silly.

The boundary is the number of existing good genes. You cannot increase them, that is the boundary.
According to you there is no boundary because you already realize that beneficial mutations (which result in an increase in 'good' genes) does happen.

And yet according to evolution the number of non-viral good genes has increased from single cell short DNA organisms to large complex organisms. HOW?
Actually I wouldn't call it DNA (which is double-stranded) since it more likely began as single-strand genetic material. But I digress.

Simply put, mutations + natural selection + time = evolution. That's how.
and I will repeat myself one more time , I am referring to ACTIVE ADDED GENES, not any old beneficial mutation)
Asking for added genes but denying beneficial mutations is like asking someone to add 2+2 together and denying the answer 4.

The rungs of the DNA 'ladder' are made of 4 different bases - these are often abbreviated as the letters A,C,G, and T. The arrangement of these 4 letters determines our genes. Changes (mutations) are often made in this sequence and these changes in sequence changes our genes. So new genes does not require the appearance of new structures or materials, the reality is it merely requires a change in sequence - and this happens all the time. We are born with 100+ mutations and acquire more over our lifetime. Therefore, new genes are produced all the time. 'New genes' have made certain peoples muscles stronger, reduced fat, or provided high cholesterol tolerance. New genes have provided resistance to AIDS. New genes enabled flavobacterium to digest nylon and apple maggots to digest apples (they used to eat hawthorn).

As for how your simple cell acquired a greater amount of genetic material, I think you already accept that mutations can result in increased amount of DNA so what's the problem?

LOL you still not getting it! You highlight this fact when you emphasize that a gene can change its form through changes in the four bases. This does not add a gene to the genome. And I explained it so carefully and its such a simple concept. Most beneficial mutations having nothing to do with added genes. They involve destroyed genes.

I tried to find your example of e coli fitness and can't find any evidence, have you got any links etc where we can see if its an added gene or alternatively an inactive gene that causes the increased fitness?

Beneficial mutations do not contradict creationism in any manner, even increased genes that benefit an organism would not contradict creationism, they would merely provide some evidence for evolution, which is currently lacking.

Where is the evidence for an added beneficial gene ? You quoted a creationist source of all sources , and the only articles I can find on that subject show the survival of a mutated organism with one less functional gene than the original, not one more.

According to you there is no boundary because you already realize that beneficial mutations (which result in an increase in 'good' genes) does happen

I said no such thing! Misrepresentation!!! LOL
( a misrepresentation is not very good because then you end up arguing against strawmen)

You seem to assume that beneficial mutations involve increased genes, in fact they normally involved reduced functionality of genes as per the 3 examples mentioned earlier in the thread (blue eyes, malaria etc). I acknowledged beneficial mutations, but they do not involve an increase in good genes as you incorrectly added. Because you guys are failing to give me examples of the addition of non-retroviral "good genes", it makes the theory of evolution appear to be unsupported by the evidence.
I think your answer isn't genes it's cells.Cells create what we are our arms and legs etc.Even a Amoeboe can create it's own tentacle using cells.It's not nessary for new genes it's the information sent from a gene through protien to let the cells do what they do.The information in one gene can send the message to create arms,legs another gene is for the brain,nerves,so the cells do all the work(these ar just examples not facts).As for 32,000 compared to 1,000 it's seem some single cell organisms joined and their genes started sending the messages and so then bigger life forms began

Hey I've got no problem with the creation of new species through changes to allele frequencies, but this does not explain evolution's stance of highly evolved creatures with lot's of genes coming from simple creatures with a few egenes. It is only that aspect of evolution that I disagree with. Sure creatures can evolve, but within their current gene diversity, and allele diversity. They can devolve, reducing their complexity. But additonal good genes as required by evolution to explain the existence of humans, naaa.

Tell me how does an arthropod (+-10000 genes) become a human? Two insects join together? :) A gene added here and there that becomes functional over time? How does it happen?

howzityoume's photo
Fri 06/01/12 10:02 AM

Andrew Lenski, a staunch creationist who spends his entire life lying about evolution and promoting creationism, wrote a paper that explained that an addition mutation in E coli increased its fitness in certain environments (mainly, in maltose). He of course spun it in a way where the evidence for evolution sounds like evidence against it. Its not like his audience is very discerning or knowledgeable after all. But still, even creationists admit that addition mutations can be beneficial.

I have been trying to find this "Andrew Lenski"

All I can find is a Richard Lenski who is a committed evolutionist, not a creationist, and incidentally also an expert in E coli. Any links please?

howzityoume's photo
Fri 06/01/12 08:24 AM
Edited by howzityoume on Fri 06/01/12 09:19 AM

I am also trying to understand what you mean here. I am guessing you mean we do not have examples of bacteria evolving into a higher life form.
I often hear creationists demand evidence of bacteria being observed to evolve into a higher life form and I chuckle every time since that would be evidence against evolution, not for it. I don't think that's what you were doing, just making an observation.

In layman's language, its a funny fact that if you destroy some genes it can sometimes have a benefit, but if you add some active genes this is destructive.

Speaking of E coli, an insertion mutation was observed to allow it to utilize salicin in another experiment as well.

Not that it should matter. A beneficial mutation of any kind makes the idea of creationism look pretty silly.

The boundary is the number of existing good genes. You cannot increase them, that is the boundary.
According to you there is no boundary because you already realize that beneficial mutations (which result in an increase in 'good' genes) does happen.

And yet according to evolution the number of non-viral good genes has increased from single cell short DNA organisms to large complex organisms. HOW?
Actually I wouldn't call it DNA (which is double-stranded) since it more likely began as single-strand genetic material. But I digress.

Simply put, mutations + natural selection + time = evolution. That's how.
and I will repeat myself one more time , I am referring to ACTIVE ADDED GENES, not any old beneficial mutation)
Asking for added genes but denying beneficial mutations is like asking someone to add 2+2 together and denying the answer 4.

The rungs of the DNA 'ladder' are made of 4 different bases - these are often abbreviated as the letters A,C,G, and T. The arrangement of these 4 letters determines our genes. Changes (mutations) are often made in this sequence and these changes in sequence changes our genes. So new genes does not require the appearance of new structures or materials, the reality is it merely requires a change in sequence - and this happens all the time. We are born with 100+ mutations and acquire more over our lifetime. Therefore, new genes are produced all the time. 'New genes' have made certain peoples muscles stronger, reduced fat, or provided high cholesterol tolerance. New genes have provided resistance to AIDS. New genes enabled flavobacterium to digest nylon and apple maggots to digest apples (they used to eat hawthorn).

As for how your simple cell acquired a greater amount of genetic material, I think you already accept that mutations can result in increased amount of DNA so what's the problem?

LOL you still not getting it! You highlight this fact when you emphasize that a gene can change its form through changes in the four bases. This does not add a gene to the genome. And I explained it so carefully and its such a simple concept. Most beneficial mutations having nothing to do with added genes. They involve destroyed genes.

I tried to find your example of e coli fitness and can't find any evidence, have you got any links etc where we can see if its an added gene or alternatively an inactive gene that causes the increased fitness?

Beneficial mutations do not contradict creationism in any manner, even increased genes that benefit an organism would not contradict creationism, they would merely provide some evidence for evolution, which is currently lacking.

Where is the evidence for an added beneficial gene ? You quoted a creationist source of all sources , and the only articles I can find on that subject show the survival of a mutated organism with one less functional gene than the original, not one more.

According to you there is no boundary because you already realize that beneficial mutations (which result in an increase in 'good' genes) does happen

I said no such thing! Misrepresentation!!! LOL
( a misrepresentation is not very good because then you end up arguing against strawmen)

You seem to assume that beneficial mutations involve increased genes, in fact they normally involved reduced functionality of genes as per the 3 examples mentioned earlier in the thread (blue eyes, malaria etc). I acknowledged beneficial mutations, but they do not involve an increase in good genes as you incorrectly added. Because you guys are failing to give me examples of the addition of non-retroviral "good genes", it makes the theory of evolution appear to be unsupported by the evidence.

howzityoume's photo
Thu 05/31/12 11:58 PM
Edited by howzityoume on Fri 06/01/12 12:14 AM

Science is self correcting, I read that and had no qualms with posting it. We learn from our mistakes.
Caps added for emphasis, he was speculating
So when he speculates based on data it is not ok, but when you speculate based on a lack of data it is ok?

The reality is you have no working theory at all. Creation is an unfalsifiable hypothesis with no predictive power, and offers no useful applications.

Whereas evolution does all of those things.

Your point about the low rate of useful mutations is not a point that favors your argument. They occur, that is what matters, that means over time they get selected for as they develop and that advantage is evolution at work.

There is no boundary for morphological change. ie, you have nothing in your position to show us why changes would stop at any arbitrary threshold, ie creationist "kinds".

There is a boundary. You seem to continuously miss my point. The boundary is the number of existing good genes. You cannot increase them, that is the boundary. You can throw in virusses, but these are recognisable as virusses, you cannot increase the number of non-viral good genes. And yet according to evolution the number of non-viral good genes has increased from single cell short DNA organisms to large complex organisms. HOW?

(ps I thought I was being over-repetitive on my point, but now I realise that people still haven't got my point, and so I'm glad I'm being repetitive, and I will repeat myself one more time , I am referring to ACTIVE ADDED GENES, not any old beneficial mutation)

howzityoume's photo
Thu 05/31/12 11:09 PM
Edited by howzityoume on Fri 06/01/12 12:07 AM

This is unobserved in reality.
What do you mean by this, becuase we have shown you examples.

I think this is correct for two good reasons. 1) Time scale, really we have only been at this game of understanding evolution for a VERY short period of time compared to the lengths of time things have been evolving and tend to change at a evolutionary pace (bacteria also do not create fossils). 2) is that the state of life on earth is already higher evolved, and there are very few open niches for a species to form. The environment, which includes all competitors must provide support for new mutations, and if a given niche for an organism is very successful then there is little pressure for change to occur. We see this often, sharks are a good example.

I have been reading over this site the last few days, not sure of how accurate, but it seems plausible, and I thought Id share.

http://www.see.org/garcia/e-ct-2.htm

Edit: however this is exactly what I meant when I said it would be best to speak with a real evolutionary biologist, becuase trying to understand early evolution and the pathways to animals is probably one of the most complex and specialized areas of evolution.

I think I have been 100% consistently clear. Its not that we need evidence of bacteria evolving into a higher life form, we just need evidence of a mutation that just adds ONE FAVORABLE GENE. If this can be seen to be possible in nature, then evolution becomes viable over time as a possibility.We do see evidence of the loss of just one gene becoming useful, but not the gain becoming useful. These gains are always damaging or neutral.

You get various types of mutations, here's some examples:

Destruction of genes/chromosomes (a gene fails to function, or is lost)
You get duplication of genes/chromosomes
You get insertions of genes

Can insertions of active genes be beneficial? Yes in a laboratory, but not in nature.

howzityoume's photo
Thu 05/31/12 06:59 AM

You do get extra genes forming. You do get beneficial mutations. But you do not get extra beneficial functional genes. When this is found, and I'm sure it will be, then you still have to consider logically that the net rate of beneficial insertions has to outweigh the damaged genes for evolved complexity to work. Without this , there would just be damage control and eventual extinctions, which is what is being observed.
It sounds like you are saying that there must be a greater number of beneficial mutations to arise than harmful mutations in order for us to evolve and (as is often the case) to increase in complexity. Please correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretation.

Spontaneous beneficial mutations could be vastly outnumbered by harmful mutations and still be more predominant overall simply because harmful mutations are weeded out of the population faster. For example, harmful mutations that make you infertile, dead, sickly, etc are quickly selected out of the gene pool because they don't get passed on. Beneficial mutations, such as ones that make you stronger, healther, or attractive, are more likely to be passed on generation after generation.

For a creature to evolve complexity from 1000 genes to 32000 genes would involve a NET GAIN of beneficial genes, when at the moment we see more losses of beneficial genes and NO gains.

You seem to equate the number of genes an organism has with its complexity. This is simply not the case. For example, humans have about half the genes that rice does.

I applaud you for accepting the evidence that beneficial mutations occur. There are many types of mutations, some of which result in an increase in genetic material, and since you understand that beneficial mutations do happen I don't think I understand what your argument here is exactly.

Thanks for hearing what I have to say and trying to understand.

I agree that increased DNA length does not always relate to complexity.

My point is that evolution requires that the number of useful functional genes increases, because even though there is no exact correlation between DNA gene size and complexity of an organism, it is impossible for higher life-forms (eg hominids) to exist with the number of genes found in basic bacteria (about 1000 genes).

So evolution has to involve additions of useful functional genes that become a part of the standard chromosomal pattern of that organism. This is unobserved in reality.

howzityoume's photo
Wed 05/30/12 06:17 AM

Just imagine how much sex it took to bring us here today! Thank you, thank you very much!

True hey! Lol

howzityoume's photo
Wed 05/30/12 12:08 AM
Edited by howzityoume on Wed 05/30/12 12:14 AM
The truth is that molecular biologists find many damaged and neutral genes when doing genome sequencing, yet do not find beneficial gene insertions.
Do you have a citation for this? You keep saying this, but I have yet to see anything that backs it up.

You get many genetic mutations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation_rates
In general, the mutation rate in unicellular eukaryotes and bacteria is roughly 0.003 mutations per genome per generation.[5] The highest per base pair per generation mutation rates are found in viruses, which can have either RNA or DNA genomes. DNA viruses have mutation rates between 10−6 to 10−8 mutations per base per generation, and RNA viruses have mutation rates between 10−3 to 10−5 per base per generation[5]. Human mitochondrial DNA has been estimated to have mutation rates of ~3× or ~2.7×10−5 per base per 20 year generation (depending on the method of estimation)[6]; these rates are considered to be significantly higher than rates of human genomic mutation at ~2.5×10−8 per base per generation[3]. Using data available from whole genome sequencing, the human genome mutation rate is similarly estimated to be ~1.1×10−8 per site per generation [7].

All the studies you guys are using prove my point. Beneficial mutations often involve dead genes. Not extra genes.

You do get extra genes forming. You do get beneficial mutations. But you do not get extra beneficial functional genes. When this is found, and I'm sure it will be, then you still have to consider logically that the net rate of beneficial insertions has to outweigh the damaged genes for evolved complexity to work. Without this , there would just be damage control and eventual extinctions, which is what is being observed.

There is scientific consensus that the capacity to synthesize nylonase most probably developed as a single-step mutation that survived because it improved the fitness of the bacteria possessing the mutation. This is seen as a good example of evolution through mutation and natural selection that has been observed as it occurs.[7][8][9][10]
Can you explain this without a beneficial mutation?
You seem to have missed my point, I was the first to introduce proof of beneficial mutations, on page 19 when I mentioned the "Duffy gene". I believe thoroughly in beneficial mutations, these normally involve a LOSS OF FUNCTION of certain genes that benefits the organism. There is a general lack of proof of gene insertions that benefit organisms. For a creature to evolve complexity from 1000 genes to 32000 genes would involve a NET GAIN of beneficial genes, when at the moment we see more losses of beneficial genes and NO gains.

This discovery led geneticist Susumu Ohno to SPECULATE that the gene for one of the enzymes, 6-aminohexanoic acid hydrolase, had come about from the combination of a gene duplication event with a frame shift mutation.[2]

Caps added for emphasis, he was speculating, and speculating incorrectly as shown by the next paragraph:
A 2007 paper that described a series of studies by a team led by Seiji Negoro of the University of Hyogo, Japan, suggested that in fact NO FRAMESHIFT MUTATION was involved in the evolution of the 6-aminohexanoic acid hydrolase.

howzityoume's photo
Tue 05/29/12 01:18 PM

I stand by every word of my previous post. You should really take a step back and look at some the false things you are saying like the fossils dating the geology.

I never said anything like that.

But here is another blurb that you can simply state doesn't mean anything, isn't true, or you don't believe.

from Wiki

Beneficial mutations

Although mutations that change in protein sequences can be harmful to an organism; on occasions, the effect may be positive in a given environment. In this case, the mutation may enable the mutant organism to withstand particular environmental stresses better than wild-type organisms, or reproduce more quickly. In these cases a mutation will tend to become more common in a population through natural selection.

For example, a specific 32 base pair deletion in human CCR5 (CCR5-Δ32) confers HIV resistance to homozygotes and delays AIDS onset in heterozygotes.[62] The CCR5 mutation is more common in those of European descent. One possible explanation of the etiology of the relatively high frequency of CCR5-Δ32 in the European population is that it conferred resistance to the bubonic plague in mid-14th century Europe. People with this mutation were more likely to survive infection; thus its frequency in the population increased.[63] This theory could explain why this mutation is not found in southern Africa, where the bubonic plague never reached. A newer theory suggests that the selective pressure on the CCR5 Delta 32 mutation was caused by smallpox instead of the bubonic plague.[64]

Another example is Sickle cell disease, a blood disorder in which the body produces an abnormal type of the oxygen-carrying substance hemoglobin in the red blood cells. One-third of all indigenous inhabitants of Sub-Saharan Africa carry the gene,[65] because in areas where malaria is common, there is a survival value in carrying only a single sickle-cell gene (sickle cell trait).[66] Those with only one of the two alleles of the sickle-cell disease are more resistant to malaria, since the infestation of the malaria plasmodium is halted by the sickling of the cells which it infests.

Another research from Denmark concludes that blue-eyes are the mutated character of human eyes which were originally brown from around 6,000 to 10,000 years ago. The benign mutation actually effected the OAC2 gene which colorizes our hair and has other functions related to liver e.t.c. So all blue-eyed people share a common ancestor[67]

On page 19 I twice acknowledged that beneficial mutations do occur and was the first to bring up the "Duffy gene", the gene that protects Africans from malaria. However these nearly alway involve loss of function in certain genes, as in all 3 of the examples mentioned by you.

For single cell organisms of about 1000 genes to evolve to complex organisms of about 32000 genes (humans) requires continuous beneficial increases to the number of genes, evolving MORE functional genes than before, not less. This has been my point this whole thread, molecular biology reveals reduced functional genes over time (sometimes usefully), not increased functional genes.

howzityoume's photo
Tue 05/29/12 05:10 AM
Edited by howzityoume on Tue 05/29/12 05:21 AM

this is a good clip, kinda reminds me of in here... from a futurama episode called "A clockwork origin"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxrxnPG05SU

I watched the video, unfortunately mocking creationists does not add to the evidence, sorry for you buddy! LOL

Science observes many extinctions in the fossil record.
Science observes chromosomal patterns full of mutated damage.
Science observes more and more "living fossils"
Science does not observe increasing numbers of beneficial genes when doing genome sequencing.

Now when you take the actual facts, and compare them to the hominid fossil record its more logical to assume extinctions of what used to be a larger variety of hominid types, rather than evolution.

(ps mocking is a good form of persuasion, it actually does work, but most people do prefer facts)

You really need a reality check. Your story has changed repeatedly. You have asked for proof of increasing complexity and when you got it, you mocked it. You asked for examples of beneficial gene changes and once given, you mocked it. You stated falsely that the fossil record was incorrect and made by biologists. When you got positive proof that it was not, you stated falsely that those who made the record were "influenced", which they were not.

You have used pseudoscience throughout and have ignored every bit of real science thrown your way. You have continuously mocked the actual science while providing falsehoods to argue with no real facts to back it up.

In every case of real science that proves you wrong, you simply state the "it doesn't prove anything" when in reality it has proven to a host of real scientists the actual progression of life on this planet.

The cartoon is funny because it describes your actions to a tee. To mock it while doing exactly what it describes is hypocrisy.

It is obvious that, in your mind, you are winning this argument while using your "heads I win, tails you lose" logic. You are not. You are merely proving that you don't understand how science works and you have no interest in learning it. If you think you are convincing anyone of your position I am sure they will tell you.

There is nothing wrong with you having any beliefs you want. But please don't confuse your position with science. It is not.

You have never once given me any evidence of beneficial gene insertions occurring in nature. The mice example was artificial and caused the mice to shown signs of human brain cell formations, however we do not know if these mice lived long or benefitted in any manner from having human brain cells. All this showed is that duplicated portions of the human genome can become active. This did not show that the duplicate portions actually have any existing function in a human. The chomosomal polymorphism just illustrated that subspecies can be created through mutation, u did not illustrate that the mutations involved beneficial gene insertions.

When u mentioned telomeres, yes I don't mind admitting that I didn't know about them and I also don't mind admitting that I adjust my view to fit scientific evidence. This is the more correct scientific approach, someone who is dogmatic about their view without adjusting it would be foolish, so what you seem to be critisizing is actually a compliment, I do adjust my view according to the evidence presented, anything less is foolish.

As for your other allegations, they are all utter nonsense, evolutionists have assumptions regarding the interpretation of the fossil record, I was not critcising the geologic timescale as put forward by geologits, I was criticizing evolutionists interpretation of the timescale and already explained that. If by your numbers and tone you feel you have the more scientific position, you are incorrect. If you feel by the number of irrelevant links you post you have the more scientific position you are incorrect. The truth is that molecular biologists find many damaged and neutral genes when doing genome sequencing, yet do not find beneficial gene insertions. The predictive power of this would be extinctions, which are being observed. These are the facts, the facts themselves point to devolution not evolution.

howzityoume's photo
Tue 05/29/12 01:02 AM
Edited by howzityoume on Tue 05/29/12 01:51 AM

this is a good clip, kinda reminds me of in here... from a futurama episode called "A clockwork origin"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxrxnPG05SU

I watched the video, unfortunately mocking creationists does not add to the evidence, sorry for you buddy! LOL

Science observes many extinctions in the fossil record.
Science observes chromosomal patterns full of mutated damage.
Science observes more and more "living fossils"
Science does not observe increasing numbers of beneficial genes when doing genome sequencing.

Now when you take the actual facts, and compare them to the hominid fossil record its more logical to assume extinctions of what used to be a larger variety of hominid types, rather than evolution.

(ps mocking is a good form of persuasion, it actually does work, but most people do prefer facts)

howzityoume's photo
Tue 05/29/12 12:52 AM

Seen this topic and couldn't resist. So I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I used to think about this kind of stuff constantly than I realized that the answer wouldn't change anything about me or how I viewed the world so I pretty much opened up my mind to accept either.

Being an accident or being created by an alien would not make much difference to me, I'm here and I'm going to enjoy myself. The quote "I'd rather be damned for who I am than accepted for what I'm not" kinda dismissed the latent fear the overly religious types like to throw around.

Whether he exists or not is very relevant to you, even if you prefer to have an agnostic approach. "Enjoying youself" becomes a bit meaningless when you mature over time in the light of the deeper satisfaction you can get from doing good for others (Maslows hierarchy). With the desire to do good comes the heightened conscience of avoiding damaging others, whether you do this from a religious point of view or not. When you realise that you continuously damage others and yourself and can't help it, is when your conscience will turn you to God because we do need help, being a "good person" doesn't actually come naturally. So let's see how you fare from now, I am guessing interesting times ahead for you.

It's easy to assume something is relevant but I'm sure of who I am and what I perceive. I am not exactly agnostic either. I do believe in god but I think we create our own gods after all there can be no god without an audience no matter what he/she or it is. I suppose the confusion there comes from assuming when somebody opens up to the idea of a god you assume it's the same thing you had in mind. Do I have a god? No, I have found nothing worthy in my life of bowing before no matter if it's flesh or some obscure spiritual concept. So by all philosophical points I would actually be considered an atheist. Enjoying your life and those around you I believe to be the meaning of life. The funny thing is that so many people have a lot of trouble with such a seemingly simple thing. I do feel good to do good to those who are deserving of it, giving love to those who aren't is a waste of my time and energy. And I've had interesting times already...believe Me! Now I just want to be around people that think more like I do.

What you say does make sense, generally a healthy attitude. (Although obviously us christians feel the love stretches further than just those who deserve it and we need God's help to do that.) When I say interesting times , I just mean that now that I mentioned how easily we try to be good to others and fail, you may become more aware of it, or maybe not , lol.