Community > Posts By > 2smileloudly

2smileloudly's photo
Sat 01/10/15 09:43 AM

What theory do you recommend ?

40% scientists are christian 15% are agnostic ?

not sure where 40% came from ???
93 percent of the members of the National Academy of Sciences, one of the most elite scientific organizations in the United States, do not believe in God. A broader description comes from the Pew Research Center, which reported in 2009 that 51 percent of scientists believe that God or some higher power exists, while 41 percent of scientists reject both of those concepts.

Neither of these two statistics mentions Christianity... The 51% believe in a higher power or God. As an atheist-agnostic I understand this, much easier to believe in a higher power than in a god-man who's god-father immaculately inseminated a woman because he was so upset over a couple who ate a piece of fruit when a talking snake said not to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2smileloudly's photo
Sat 01/10/15 09:24 AM
historically fear has been the greatest tool available to control groups of people.
What better way to get people to follow an imaginary, fictitious being or beings...........
Without fear and faith, religions would be a very small influence on humanity

2smileloudly's photo
Sun 09/28/14 09:51 AM
mom333, you are a very intelligent, thoughtful and thought provoking person. Your children are very fortunate to have you in their lives.
I agree with everything you wrote, few have your level of compassion and acceptance....a very good thing.

I consider myself an atheist/agnostic......
An agnostic because I admit I do not know all of the answers.
An atheist because I lack belief in the existence of god or gods.

An astrophysicist friend of mine from Rice University said it well.
He said "I'm OK with being a scientist searching for answers my entire life, instead of plugging in mythology and imaginary gods as my definitive answers to the unknown".

I hope you keep enjoying life's quest.......
You are way ahead of most people already !!
Always remember:
The Journey is the Destination

ed :)

2smileloudly's photo
Sun 05/11/14 05:11 PM
it's hard to argue with the truth...

"Gods don't kill people,
People with Gods kill people"

Science flies people to the moon,
Religion flies people into buildings"

2smileloudly's photo
Sat 01/25/14 07:46 AM
I named my ski boat
"Current Affair"

2smileloudly's photo
Sat 01/25/14 07:43 AM
Well said JohnDavidDavid:

"There is also NO DOCUMENTED evidence of any of the proposed "gods" (from any century) rising from the dead or performing any of the supernatural feats in tales. There are TALES and testimonials about such things happening, but nothing that can be verified as truthful and accurate. That some of the tales were written about decades, generations or centuries after they supposedly occurred is NOT documentation that they are anything more than folk tales, legends, fables, fiction or other forms of human imagination."

The only "Proof" of Jesus divinity is ... is Christian writings... the bible, etc. Written years after his death, if he even lived at all ???

2smileloudly's photo
Thu 01/23/14 05:43 PM
As most of you know, Pascal's Wager (or Pascal's Gambit) is a suggestion posed by the French philosopher, mathematician and physicist Blaise Pascal that, even though the existence of God cannot be determined through reason, a person should wager as though God exists, because living life accordingly has everything to gain, and nothing to lose.

Some assert that since there have been many religions throughout history, and therefore many potential gods (man has worshipped 2800 gods), all of them need to be factored into the wager, in an argument known as the argument from inconsistent revelations. Believing in one god would lead to a high probability of believing in the wrong god, which destroys the mathematical advantage Pascal claimed with his Wager.

Richard Dawkins argues for an "anti-Pascal wager" in his book, The God Delusion. "it could be said that you will lead a better, fuller life if you bet on his not existing, than if you bet on his existing and therefore squander your precious time on worshiping him, sacrificing to him, fighting and dying for him, etc."

(An interesting side note.....Blaise Pascal also wrote)
"Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions."

So the question is what to do ???
1) live with faith (or fake it, act like you believe (which was OK to Pascal)) in one god, like Jesus
2) try to cover all bases and act like you believe in all 2800 known gods
3) do like Dawkins and spend your time doing other things besides worshiping god or gods
4) take the time to write this post instead of being outside enjoying this beautiful evening LOL

2smileloudly's photo
Wed 06/19/13 10:28 AM

The basic laws of logic, evidence, science, nature and economics reveal religion as a delusion.......Imaginary,...alive only in the minds of "believers". The dogmatic mysticism of religious people does not make sense and actually heavily contradicts itself.
According to William 8 "The Bible is the only honest book, that does not paint an airy fairy idea about God or man." We must be reading different bibles LOL
Religion was created by hut-dwellers thousands of years ago in order to gain power over their fellow human beings. New religions continue to crop up constantly. We know of 2800 "gods" mankind has worshipped over time. William 8 and many others dismiss 2799 gods,except for their one "true" god. According to William 8,"All other beliefs are airy fairy and artsy fartsy."

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than William 8. When he understands why he dismisses all of the other possible gods, he will understand why I dismiss his.

William 8, I am not trying to be mean or single you out, your statements are exemplary of many Christians and are easy to discuss.

2smileloudly's photo
Wed 06/19/13 10:13 AM
The basis of religion and believing in Jesus is fear.... fear of going to hell (another man made myth--hell)
fear of what happens to us when we die. fear of God punishing us... (many examples especially in the old testament)

all of the stories, myths, fairytales about Jesus, including Jesus is God, were written hundreds of years after his death by primitive hut dwellers....

look at the big picture, Jesus is just another God in a long line of 2800 man-made Gods... during Jesus time, mankind was moving from polytheism to monotheism.... there were many "messiahs" ( 7 or 8 major ones) during Jesus life... Constantine helped Christianity become the big religion by making it the official religion of Rome.

2smileloudly's photo
Wed 06/19/13 10:09 AM
Religion as a mental illness :

People who believe in imaginary beings are delusional
People who talk to imaginary beings are delusional
People who believe in imaginary superstitions like prayer are delusional
Delusion–a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact.

Religion by definition is a Psychosis….

an entire imaginary, delusional belief system

We can call it Religious Belief Syndrome… an acronym could be…

Religious B S

2smileloudly's photo
Tue 01/29/13 09:02 PM

I don't fear anybody's imaginary friends. I fear they way people justify horrible acts because of their imaginary friends.

very well said :)

2smileloudly's photo
Sun 01/27/13 09:14 AM

Well geez whiz, guess I'm not a christian.

No loss to either side.

but there is loss on both sides....
you don't have fear and guilt
and the church doesn't have your money !!

Well according to the original post I am not a christian. I don't know how I can live with myself.surprised

if you don't want to do christianity......
there are 2799 other gods to choose from
or just go godless lol

2smileloudly's photo
Sun 01/27/13 09:04 AM

Well geez whiz, guess I'm not a christian.

No loss to either side.

but there is loss on both sides....
you don't have fear and guilt
and the church doesn't have your money !!

2smileloudly's photo
Sun 01/27/13 09:02 AM
after food, shelter and safety...

what do you think the most basic human drive is
I think it will be the same for men and women....

some say "seeking pleasure and avoiding pain"

others say "protecting or validating our fragile ego"

I believe religious or god answers are superficial to this question

I am asking because...
I don't have the answer..

2smileloudly's photo
Sun 01/27/13 08:58 AM

Are there any fans of misandry and the idea of female supremacy around here?

I understand hatred or dislike of a man or a boy,
kinda like you can dislike a black or a short person etc...

but to dislike all people who share a trait they didn't choose,
such as race or height....

seems sad and less than compassionate .....

just a point to ponder :)

as for female supremacy..
please read "the myth of male power" written by the only man elected to the board of NOW (National Organization of Women) and he was elected twice...

2smileloudly's photo
Sun 01/27/13 08:42 AM

I like #8
We have 2800 gods to choose from that mankind has worshiped since recorded history began.
So why not choose a god that demands we "fear nothing but god", ohh I forgot, this is the loving god ??????

*sigh* Whether you believe in a religion or not, you ought to do more research before claiming to know about it. You demonstrate a very shallow understanding. I suggest picking any saint or religious philosopher you care to and read. I'm fond of Augustine myself, as well as the Greek and Russian Orthodox saints. The various Protestant denominations have some interesting insights, but they lack the complex and learned worldview of Orthodox and Catholic traditions. (I find John Calvin depressing and generally avoid his stuff)
ETA: to the OP, Augustine dealt with the difference between polytheism and the triune God in "Confessions" at length.

funny how the default when one cannot dispute my point is... to attack the messenger ...me.. and throw the ignorant card at me.."you ought to do more research before claiming to know about it. You demonstrate a very shallow understanding."

I spent 12 years at St John's School and one of my degrees is from Baylor University(owned by the Southern Baptists)... it is because of my exposure and knowledge of religions that I realize they are all imaginary, delusional belief systems....

2smileloudly's photo
Sat 01/26/13 05:20 PM
Is God Real ???

Religion and our concept of god (or gods, mankind has invented 2800 of them so far) is purely imaginary... it is all in our minds, made up superstitions and myths.....

People who believe in imaginary beings are delusional
People who talk to imaginary beings are delusional
People who believe in imaginary superstitions like prayer are delusional
Delusion--a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact.

Religion should be classified as a Psychosis....
an entire imaginary, delusional belief system

We can call it Religious Belief Syndrome… an acronym could be… Religious B S

2smileloudly's photo
Sat 01/26/13 05:10 PM
I like #8
We have 2800 gods to choose from that mankind has worshiped since recorded history began.
So why not choose a god that demands we "fear nothing but god", ohh I forgot, this is the loving god ??????

2smileloudly's photo
Sat 01/26/13 05:05 PM
very well put Ploduwa :)

Along the same line of thought...
We can be unlucky, but we make our own luck.....

2smileloudly's photo
Wed 01/09/13 01:36 PM
"science won't eliminate our gods, science will just eliminate the need for our gods". I like this quote....

As science progresses, people can keep letting go of the 2800 gods mankind has created.

Jesus, Zeus, etc... are simply attempts to answer questions that science is answering more and more of.

If you have a chance,
The book, 'A Universe from Nothing' by Cosmologist Lawrence Krauss is a good read.

Previous 1 3 4 5 6