Community > Posts By > princessjk

princessjk's photo
Thu 01/17/08 09:57 PM
My 15 yr old daughter has ADHD, OCD, depression, and has had separation anxiety. And now I have to get her tested for Tourrets Syndrome to determine whether her strange loud noises are tics. But otherwise she is a normal teenager; quite popular and intelligent and very capable of making great grades when she wants to. She is highly creative and imaginative with art and plans a career in animal science. So, there is life beyond all these annoyances she and I must deal with. We just take them in stride, talk thru them some days, yell at each other some days, ignore it some days, and don't even remember she has it some days. Medication is crucial and so is the right counselor. "Right" being one that she feels comfortable with and is glad to talk to. She now knows this is just some glitches in her body that she deals with; and understands it has nothing to do with who she is and what she plans to do in life. I don't allow her to hide behind or use them as excuses to get away with stuff either. It's important to treat a child normally and not allow them to adopt the labels as who they are. So, it's all treatable, just different symptoms and different levels of it. Just remember the important thing is they are encouraged to be themselves and that everyone has something in life they have to deal with; whether it's physical, mental, or emotional. They need to know they are perfectly fine just as they are.

princessjk's photo
Thu 01/17/08 09:40 PM
You and your child's father have had a very rough beginning. Obviously you have both had feelings for one another. What you have to decide is whether you still have those feelings for him and whether you think it will be a good stable thing for you and your son if you get back together. If not, he still needs to know you want him to be in his son's life as much as he can as long as he is competent and responsible with your son. It may be difficult for you to do, but if your gut feeling is telling you to not jump back in with him; then you need to listen to yourself and tell the dad that his son needs him but not in both your lives right now. If he doesn't like it; then tough. You have been responsible, and still are, for making the best decisions possible for you and your son. And remember, to take good care of your son, you also have to take good care of yourself--emotionally, mentally, and physically. You can do it. Look how far you have come and what you've gone through without him. You are a strong, brave, and loving mom. Keep up the great work! Some day when your son is grown, you will look back at these difficult times and be forever glad you did the right thing for him and you--and your son will also; trust me, he will know mom was always there for him.

princessjk's photo
Mon 01/14/08 10:24 PM
you are so right. It's very hard to be a single mom; especially without the support of the father. We do have financial support, but that is all. Lucky to have that!

princessjk's photo
Fri 01/11/08 11:35 PM
thank you so much to all who have responded. It really makes a lot of difference to know who many are out there dealing with this in their families. I will remember your offers of emailing, because i just may need to talk one of these days! flowerforyou

princessjk's photo
Mon 01/07/08 04:39 PM
My prayers for your son and your family are to be positive and believe whatever happens God is taking care of all of you for He is a God of love who has plans of goodness and prosperity for your son. With God, nothing can hold your son back from having a wonderful life. Make sure you let us hear from you after the test.

princessjk's photo
Mon 01/07/08 04:27 PM
My 15 yr old daughter has always been somewhat difficult although we've always had a good relationship. But now she's feeling grown up, I know it's the age, but there is such a fine line in continuing to parent or step back and let her have at it. To add to the teenage hormones, she is also ADHD, OCD, and suffers from intermittent depression. a couple years ago, I stayed home with her from my job just to get her through each day without her finding a way to possible commit suicide. She didn't want to do it , but was so miserable. then she got help and got meds which help alot. Anyway, she is so difficult on a daily basis, she doesn't want any interaction with me at all (unless she wants something) and her attitude is rude and hateful. She is in therapy, but it is really slow going. I'm a single mom and her brother is 20 and off at college, so it is just the two of us. I worry about her alot, she says every so often she just can't take it here any more and is going to move out to somewhere.

princessjk's photo
Mon 01/07/08 04:06 PM
Ok, from an older mom; I have a 20 yr old son and a 15 yr old daughter. I never let them cry without comforting them. I always picked them up and rocked them or put them in bed with me. For all the naysayers who don't believe in this, let me tell you my relationships with my kids have always been very close and loving and trusting. The only attachment problem in this family is me missing my son now that he's grown up and my daughter pulling away from me! Of course, these are natural and normal and I wouldn't have it any other way--but I miss so much those times of holding my babies close and rocking them. You won't be sorry you are picking up your baby and loving her every time she "says" she needs you. You are being a loving and caring mom.

princessjk's photo
Mon 01/07/08 03:55 PM
I strongly suggest you look for work in non-profit or for the state. These are both areas that like experienced workers and are not afraid to hire mature people. But you do need to prove that you are not just in it for the paycheck; but are signing on for their cause. There are a lot more perks in these areas also; more days off, usually more caring people to work with, and often really good benefits. I'm speaking from experience. Don't give up, just refine your search a little more and dig deeper into these types of jobs. Medical office is a really good area to get into now also. Make sure you keep checking the OSU Tulsa employment web site regularly. You may have to start lower than you want, but they are all about promoting from within. I had to start over in my forties over a year ago and now have the best job I've ever had.