Community > Posts By > mcmelomon

mcmelomon's photo
Thu 03/06/08 09:24 AM

I really ought to quit smoking. I sometimes why I even started in the first place. ohwell

I'm interested in hearing from all of you ex-smokers who made the successful transition to a smoke free life. Maybe, it'll inspire and motivate me to take more progressive steps to successfully do it.

I honestly don't think I can quit "cold-turkey".

yes you can quit cold turkey. i did it. it wasn't easy.

the way i did it was by setting goals for myself.
the first day is the hardest. gotta stay busy and
away from friends who smoke and smoking situations.
take aspirin or whatever for the headache if you
have it...but it is easiest if there is a big push
at work or something to keep you occupied.

then, if successful, try for 3 days, then a week.
i could not cheat or it was all over. after a week
the need is greatly diminished. go for 2 weeks then
a month. then you are really free of it. once you
have a few days under your belt then it is 1) easier
cause the drug level is way down and 2) you have
built a little history so it gives confidence and
also something to lose if you have to start all over
again...

it took several tries. but i made it stick for good
in July...of 1992.

good luck. it may be one of the toughest things you
ever accomplish but it is worth it.

drinker

I really agree with this guy..you have to go little increments at a time, keep yourself away from it is the most basic step...and tell others about it so that they know of your efforts...stay busy, get involved in something else, with me i started jogging, playing basketball, and eating more, reading, anything to occupy the time in which you might start smoking, hell i even started doing push-ups...you do feel better with every passing hour, day, days, and eventually weeks...i quit for like for months recently, and just last saturday i took one hit of a newport...bad idea, got really light headed, and a headache really, wasn't worth it..haven't had the craving since then...i think then i was more of a search to end my frustration and stress, the newport wasn't the answer...you can do it man...i believe in you...you're already taking the first step...getting help...you'll be there in a minute man...because it's a minute by minute accomplishment...

mcmelomon's photo
Thu 03/06/08 08:53 AM
if it was up to me, i wouldn't hesitate. but, she has a lot of doubts in regards to trusting me.

mcmelomon's photo
Thu 03/06/08 06:54 AM
My wife and i separated a year ago. Over the year we've been seeing eachother off and on. We have a 4 year old together. I cheated on her. i confessed. we cried a lot throughout the year, just recently, she finally slept with someone else, then turned around and slept with me again. we still go out, hug, kiss hold hands, talk and i really really think about her all the time. i can't let go. she sort of has me on hold, and i can't really break free...what does it take to move on and quit with the heartwrenching pain of wondering what she's doing, and who's she's with?