Community > Posts By > Brian

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 03:11 PM

Human nature is scary and sad.

Anything is scary if you don't understand it. There's very little about human "nature" that's shocking to me. Understanding the processes the mind takes to get specific outcomes takes away a lot of that fear. Doesn't make some of it any easier to stomach (which will vary by person), but it is what it is.

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 03:06 PM
You do realise that blanket statements really only speak about you and your perceptions, right?
There are no "responsibilities" that atheists shoulder nor do we all "provide unity and equal love to the universe."
Being an atheist is nothing more than a lack of belief/faith. Where you come up with all the other nonsense, is beyond me, but it has nothing to do with the term Atheism. Words have meaning. I suggest you look up the term prior to projecting whatever nonsense you just did onto it.

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 02:48 PM
Edited by Brian on Wed 09/22/21 02:49 PM

I think all of the Annabelle movies are one of the scariest one because they were based on a true story and events.

The Warrens weren't as well respected as they appear in the films and pretty much anything they investigated is now suspect. Amityville is a proven hoax, and has been for decades, but was literally their "big case" that brought them into the spotlight. If taking advantage of people's superstition is something to be lauded, then there's base issues with the morals being used to justify it.
The whole Satanist murder ideal, in regards to the Annabelle mythology, is something a writer came up with. There is nothing in the Warrens case files that ever indicated this. There is nothing in the Warrens case files about any issues with Annabelle as portrayed in the films. When you see "based on" in a description, that indicates creative freedom was used to create what appears. That does not denote truth or reality, it denotes the exact opposite. Fiction.

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 02:37 PM
Rawhead Rex (Clive Barkers 1st film)
Return of the Living Dead (don't bother with the sequels)
Hostel 1/2/3
Pretty much anything classic with Vincent Price, Bella Lugosi, Boris Karloff etc.
The "intended" cut of Night Breed (Clive Barker paid to have the film reedited through crowdfunding and it's amazing compared to the regular release)
Midnight Meat Train
Books of Blood
Carrie (original or remakes)
Cujo
Firestarter
I Spit on your Grave
Cemetery Man
Se7en
We need to talk about Kevin
Gummo
American Psycho
Deadgirl
Oldboy
Martyrs
Eraserhead
A Serbian Film (probably the most disturbing in my list)
House of 1000 Corpses
Devils Rejects
3 From Hell
Audition

I could probably go on for days, but I'll leave it there for now.

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 02:15 PM
Mythology already has a meaning and all religions/belief systems fall under the term. Humans had no way of properly explaining the things that were unexplainable to them at the time. The only way they could wrap their heads around these "supernatural" occurrences was to impart that experience through stories, which then evolved to scrolls and then books. What modern humans decide to project onto that speaks more about them due to their clearly perception driven projections.
I'll also add that any pantheon that creates a deity to keep the masses in check, through guilt or fear, does so knowing that both emotions are easy ways to control human animals.

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 12:08 PM
I'd take an I'll pray for you over some of the **** I've heard from religious people over the years.
Probably the worst experience was when my special needs son turned 12 and literally started losing his proverbial ****. One minute happy, the next trying to rip your head off. Eventually we had to make the decision to put him into a group home. That was worse than us being assaulted on the daily, as the only home that would take him was worse than a gulag. At any rate. One of my ex-friends, who happened to be a born again (read the most judgmental Christians of all) tells me, as I'm telling her how close I am to losing my mind over the stress, "God only gives you tests he knows you can pass". If she'd been in the same room with me, she'd have seen my jaw drop. So from her perspective, you know since God controls everything dontcha know, that it's perfectly acceptable for her god to torture a special needs child to teach me a lesson... I was already an atheist at that point and she got both barrels. Haven't talked to her in over a decade. I can deal with stupidity to a degree, but that kind of stupidity has no place in my life.

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 11:58 AM

like the majority of fellow atheists.

When you start a discussion using false equivalence based on nothing more than your perception, don't expect anyone that truly employs reason to respond. You're no less an ideologue than a religious zealot when you attempt to use logical fallacy to shore up an assertion.

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 11:50 AM
Not until we'd met a few times IRL. Rather naive to expect anyone to uproot having only chatted on a dating site/app. That just reeks of needy.

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 11:45 AM
There shouldn't be any stigma on anyone for seeking what makes them happy. Unfortunately a lot of humans like to project their own issues onto others.

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 11:42 AM
Greets folks!

Just wondering if there's anyone else out there that uses sous vide as their primary cooking method? Going on 7 years for me now. If you've never experienced a perfectly cooked, well anything, I highly recommend it! Meats especially are always spot on to your desired doneness and a quick reverse sear makes them just as delicious to the eye (not so much before then XD).

A nice thick mid rare cowboy steak is one of my fave things. Super juicy and tender and always mid rare. No thick grey band around the outside like you see using a pan or bake method. Easy to do mashed veg, as the veg is already in a vacuum bag with butter and seasonings. Just take a rolling pin to it, or use a ricer if you have to.

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 11:30 AM

Only Works on the Weak Minded. Why Most walk around like Zombies on their Cellphones. They are Hypnotized by it and all the BS that's being fed to them.

Thankfully, science doesn't agree with you.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780121346454500329

The only thing important to susceptibility with hypnosis is how open to the experience the subject is.
There's also a difference between being transfixed or over invested by something inanimate like a phone, but hypnotised? That's some fine hyperbole you're employing.

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 11:16 AM
Astrology is a farce. The moon, being so close to the earth, barely affects human animals. How celestial bodies in the sky are arranged at differing points in the year would have 0 influence, given they're millions of light years away.
When I was much younger, teenage to early 20's, I was definitely naïve enough to think it had some bearing. As an adult, thankfully that naivete has fallen to the wayside.

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 11:01 AM

Low frequency non ionizing or not, all of this radiation, micro wave or radio wave, coursing through your body has to have some long term or short term effect.

Then there should be a substantive amount of independent peer reviewed studies that would back your assertion. Care to cite any?

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 10:58 AM
Life is full of transitional states. Birth and death being 2 of many. Since I'm not religious/spiritual, the answer would be into the ground hopefully with a natural burial. Metal coffins, which is what the majority of people are buried in now, are too well sealed to add anything to the surrounding environment, which makes sense since embalming fluid is hardly environmentally safe. Natural burial allows the body to naturally break down and feed the surrounding fauna. From that aspect, we do live on, but only as a food source.

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 10:51 AM
No. Am quite content in the knowledge that I am in the circle of life like any other animal. In that aspect, we all live forever, especially using natural burial. We degrade, feed the flora around the burial site which then feeds numerous animals down the line.
Having no religious/spiritual influence probably helps in that perception.

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 09:14 AM
Edited by Brian on Wed 09/22/21 09:35 AM
Try a white wine cheese sauce, I'd suggest gouda and gruyere for the cheeses. Roux (equal parts flour/butter), milk (or heavy cream if you want a richer sauce), pinch of cayenne, a glass of white wine you'd actually enjoy drinking, and the cheese. A sprinkle of chopped fresh basil and it's good to go. Additions of pancetta/bacon also work well.

Brian's photo
Wed 09/22/21 09:04 AM
When I was a kid, and growing up in a small town close to a city, I wanted nothing more than to get out. Now I want nothing more than a small plot of land, horses/cows/pigs/chickens/ducks/geese. I grew up around/on farms so nothing really shocks me in how our food gets to the table. Personally, I think everyone should have to clean an animal they intend on butchering/eating at least once. We're so disconnected from the process, with nicely packaged product in grocery stores, that we've lost touch with how important the entire process is.