Community > Posts By > SkyHook5652

SkyHook5652's photo
Sat 11/21/09 10:39 PM

Di wrote:

That is about the extent to which they align in philosophies. This is my personal observation, it may be incorrect. So I invite Abra, Sky, and JB to confirm or deny the observation which states:

"humans are no more than a transient vehicle through which a non-physical entity experiences a physical realm"
Abra responded:

I would have to say yes, but at the same time object to your phrasing of the question. Perhaps if you simply change "humans" to "human bodies" that might be sufficient. Because it's actually the non-physical entity that is experiencing the physical realm that is the "human" in that case. If you catch my drift.

Yes, correction understood.

Sky responded:
Without going into “a whole philosophy”, I’ll say that is accurate as far as it goes, with a small addition that is more of a caveat than a correction – the physical body is itself part of that physical realm experienced by the non-physical entity.

I think you and Abra are saying the same thing – that I needed to differentiate between humans and human bodies, suggesting that mind is separate from the body.
Yes.

SkyHook5652's photo
Sat 11/21/09 10:24 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Sat 11/21/09 10:36 PM
Di asked:
Do you believe this physical reality (ie. universe and all that we attribute physical properties to) is an illusion? Whether you define that as holographic or some other form of mental projection is irrelevant to this particular question.

Sky:
Hmmmm. . .

That’s a difficult question to answer the way it’s phrased.

Since my purpose in answering would be to provide information that would assist you in your understanding of my philosophy, my answer is dependent on what you mean by “illusion.

So let me ask the same question with another object, and you can take however you would answer mine as the answer I would give to yours.

“Do you believe the picture on a movie screen (i.e. the image and all that we attribute visual properties to) is an illusion?”

Both of you, Abra and Sky, had trouble with the word illusion. Let me try to restate the question without the word illusion.

Do you believe this physical reality (ie. universe and all that we attribute physical properties to) is a false premise?
No.

In other words, would the universe continue to exist, as it is, without the presence of any physical life forms to observe or interact with it?
I guess so. Just as superhighways would continue to exist, as they are, without the presence of cars to drive on them. (But they’d be pretty useless and the drivers would probably want some new cars to drive on them.)

SkyHook5652's photo
Sat 11/21/09 05:35 PM
Sorry I'm late - I've missed a lot (illness)got the better of me.
Anyway - catching up, I had to pause to comment on the interaction between Sky and Crative.

Sky wrote:
So the way it looks to me is that “The reason the cat raises it’s tail is that it is happy.” And “The cat raises it’s tail because it is happy.” Are perfectly synonymous. And if so, then “I do not see a significant difference between reason and cause.” would mean to me that there would be no significant difference between that and “The cat being happy caused it’s tail to raise.” Which would mean the intrinisic meaning is the cause.

Just a suggestion but Perhaps you are taking the link between cause and effect much to literally.

We cannot always determine what 'reason' has caused a particular action but that doesn't mean every action is without cause or reason.

The link or reason for an action may have it's origination many steps prior to the action. Example - I just received the most amazing thing in the mail - a Mrs. Potato head. I was so excited to have gotten it and everytime I look at it, I feel happy. The toy is not the reason I feel happy it is the memories that my friend wanted to envoke that provide the reason for my joy, the fact that she know this icon would be a way to share the memories of over 40 years ago when we sat and played with REAL potatoes and the plactic pieces that got inserted into the potato.

I have seen dozens of potato head toys and not once has any given the same joy - so the link to my joy is NOT the potato head but the memory that was invoked becasue it came from this one specific friend.

Cause and effect are sometimes illusive links. I'm not sure how this will affect the discussion between you two but it seems to be a point that is hanging you both up - so maybe a new perspective might help.
ohwell
Well really, that’s kinda where I’ve been going all along. The whole elusiveness of the cause-and-effect chain.

This whole thing started with the assertion (mine and Jeannie’s) that “meaning” is assigned and essentially constitutes a comparative association which is entirely subjective.

Creative and I are just trying to come to some agreement as to exactly what “intrinsic meaning” is or would be.

SkyHook5652's photo
Sat 11/21/09 05:28 PM
I think the broken up posts thing isn't working so well JB. I'm getting replied to less even though it should be easier for people to do so.
Naw, I think your just wearing them out, good on you! When it was just me and creative we tend to get wore out first.
So BRAVO!
Is that what this is all about? "Wearing them down?"

If so, what is the purpose or end result of doing so?

My purpose in answering all the questions is to provide information that will allow a better understanding of my views.

What is the purpose in asking them?
Well, for whatever it's worth, I have genuinely enjoyed reading your posts Sky. I have found much of what you have posted to be quite interesting and enlightening.

You have helped me to gain some deeper insights into the various possibilities of the true essence of reality. drinker
And that is exactly why I am here too - essentially to gain a better understandingh of the world around me - including the viewpoints of others. And the discussions we have had have helped immesurably in assisting me in refining my own philosophy - or at least in refining ways to express it.

drinker

SkyHook5652's photo
Sat 11/21/09 03:01 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Sat 11/21/09 03:02 PM
Bushi said
Concepts, and ideas are non physical.
...for me non-physical is the same as saying does not exist.

Therefore, Concepts and ideas do not exist. (If I got the syllogism right.)

I can see where one could say that the physical representation of some concepts and ideas do not exist.

But I’m having trouble with the conclusion that concepts and ideas themselves do not exist.

If they don't exist, then what are the referents for the labels?

SkyHook5652's photo
Sat 11/21/09 02:38 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Sat 11/21/09 02:40 PM
I think the broken up posts thing isn't working so well JB. I'm getting replied to less even though it should be easier for people to do so.
Naw, I think your just wearing them out, good on you! When it was just me and creative we tend to get wore out first.
So BRAVO!

Is that what this is all about? "Wearing them down?"

If so, what is the purpose or end result of doing so?

My purpose in answering all the questions is to provide information that will allow a better understanding of my views.

What is the purpose in asking them?

SkyHook5652's photo
Sat 11/21/09 02:31 PM
This leaves the interesting question of what reason there could be to behave morally if our bodies are not even a part of us so much as something we're using.
Again, the car/driver analogy works fairly well here.

What reason is there for abiding by the “rules of the road”, if our cars are not a part of us but something we’re using?

Because there are other drivers using cars and we’re all using the same roads, so we have (i.e. make up) rules that allow everyone the opportunity to use their cars to get where they want to go with minimal conflict.
So if we crash a body we have to hope an astral ambulance gets to us quickly and pay big astral bucks for the whole ordeal?
Personally, I would hope for a physical ambulance, but you can wait for an astral ambulance if you want. laugh
I'm more on the note of "does our body have airbags or do our astral selves smash their (important part) open as it comes to a sudden halt and maybe snap their (connective section) in half as they recoil from it?"

Does the body have airbags for the soul?
Back to the game analogy again…

Do the characters have airbags or do the players smash their (important part) open as it comes to a sudden halt and maybe snap their (connective part) in half as they recoil from it?

Does a character in a game have airbags for the player?

The questions don’t really apply.

SkyHook5652's photo
Sat 11/21/09 02:20 PM
Just wanted to note that Bohm's ideas about The Holographic Universe also points to a concept that what we consider "reality" (i.e. "physical") has an underlying "non-pysical" nature.
The Matrix?? LOL
That's not a bad analogy. drinker
It's not significantly different from solipsism.
Seems to me like it is. There are multiple individuals in the Matrix, and as I understand it, Bohm's theory doesn't say anything about individuals at all, only the nature of reality.
"I'm real but everyone around me and likely even my own body is illusionary." That's exactly what it is.
Well it may say that to you, but that's not what it says to me. To me it says, there is me and there are others, and those others are just as real as me.

As it doesn't say anything about individuals we're not precluded from having many others in the same situation.
Exactly.

SkyHook5652's photo
Sat 11/21/09 01:36 AM
I feel shallow right now,, my mind immediately went to 'platonic'.... (blushing)
Oh you bad girl. pitchfork

SkyHook5652's photo
Sat 11/21/09 01:34 AM
If I was asked the question my only honest answer could be ideas.

Ideas, or concepts they themselves are non material. You can have a set of bits that represents an idea, but without understanding the relationships its not really data, its not really a concept, its just a bunch of bits.

Concepts, and ideas are non physical. Its what the physical can be made to represent.
Wow! That's beautiful Bushi.

Well done! drinker

SkyHook5652's photo
Sat 11/21/09 01:19 AM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Sat 11/21/09 01:35 AM
Just to be a nerd. I will reply with this. Ideas are essentially electrical impulses in the brain. So they
are physical.
Hang around here long wenough and you'll find out just how debatable that statement is. :laughing:

BTW - Welcome to the forums. Always nice to have another intelligent and literate person around to bounce ideas off. drinker

SkyHook5652's photo
Sat 11/21/09 01:13 AM
I don't have anything to add to Creative and Sky exchanges at this point, but I wanted to say I am enjoying it ; - )

This is the real meat on the bone that separates our world views. I enjoy reading an honest discourse.

The synonymous nature of words is important, and when we come to agreement on meanings it deepens the conversation, so DING DING bonus points!

But now where do we go from here . . . It always seems to come down to the chicken and the egg, what came first, matter or mind . . .
I agree. I does always seem to end up there.

But I must say that the process of getting there is almost always edifying - at least for me anyway.

SkyHook5652's photo
Fri 11/20/09 11:50 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Fri 11/20/09 11:53 PM
Self serving in I feel many philosophers get a mental hard-on when they make a good argument and are very pleased with themselves not so much what they have accomplished in regards to the objective of the argument.
That could very well be. But not everyone has the same objectives. So it is true that they may not have accomplished what the other person wants in regards to the objective of the argument, but they could be accomplishing what they want in regards to the objective of the argument.

Just sayin. drinker

SkyHook5652's photo
Fri 11/20/09 11:38 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Fri 11/20/09 11:39 PM
Science is great to offer support to an idea or theory. With it we have learned so much about the natural world and the universe, but it has limitations. It cannot be used on anything that you cannot test (i.e. God). Philosophy on the other hand can be applied to all, but philosophy is quite annoying, often pointless, and self-serving. A philosopher will not even attempt to come to a resolution on a matter. They will kick up dust with their arguments and complain because now they cannot see clearly.
Intersting opinion, but a bit self-serving in itself - in my opinion.

Or was that simply an example to illustrate the point?

SkyHook5652's photo
Fri 11/20/09 11:35 PM
Non-physical could have many definitions depending on the context of its use. In the most basic definition I can think of, you think of everything that is physical and non-physical is whatever is left.

On a side note Mr. Abracadabra is annoying in regards to this topic. Just an observation. What is the point of writing a big long reply, quoting ancient philosophy, claiming experimental data but not referencing it, and purposely writing in a pompous know it all fashion. Only in the end to say I don’t know and if I did I would be a millionaire. What the hell is precise about that? Hello McFly…Knock…knock…knock… get over yourself. JMO
Different people find different things annoying. To each his own. JMO.

SkyHook5652's photo
Fri 11/20/09 11:23 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Fri 11/20/09 11:28 PM
Bushio wrote:

What a load of semantic crap.

Energy not physical, that was all I needed to read to know you are clueless.

So lets do the good ole transformation from matter to energy . . . . say lets take 5KG of weapons grade plutonium and make a nuke, lets even pretend that we can make perfect nukes that take and convert 100% of that mass into energy.

Define physical, and tell me how the interactions of that energy on anything are not physical in nature.

Define non-physical in a positive manner that is not a negative circular definition involving physical.

Guess what . . . you cant. No such thing as non-physical in physics bud, that's the point, so it makes you look kind of stupid claiming that a branch of physics can support the claim that reality is not physical.

You really need to calm down and not allow yourself to become so emotionally involved when sharing philosophical ideas. flowerforyou

Instead of calling me stupid, you might just confess that this particular concept is difficult for you to grasp.

Everything that we consider to be physical in terms of interactions depends upon standing waves of energy. Yet we know that all energy is not bound in standing waves.

So with that in mind, it shouldn't be much of a philosophical stretch for you to imagine all of the energy in the universe becoming unbound from standing wave patterns. Assume that you can imagine this, then you'd have a universe in which it would be impossible to 'detect' the remaining energy.

Thus energy itself is 'non-physical' by the very definition of an 'observable' unless at least some part of it is bound up in standing waves.

It is only the standing wave patters that gives energy it's 'physical' properties.

So I accept your outburst in prematurely judging my intellectual capacity, and hope that you can embrace this purely philosophical notion.

I only offer it as food for thought.

There's no need to become emotionally distraught over it. flowerforyou

It's simply an idealized philosophical view. bigsmile

I'm not even suggesting that it could be accomplished in practice. It's merely a philosophical commentary. (A mind experiment)

You still haven't even started to touch on the concept you have introduced . . .

How does something non physical interact with something physical?

What is the relationship that allows this to happen? Right now your completely flopping around for what you mean and its sad.
Hope you don't mind if I jump in on this one.

And mind you this is now from the perspective of my own philosophy. I’m not claiming to know what Abra’s views are.

So with that in mind…

The question does not really apply. There is not "a relationship that allows it to happen”. That idea is contrary to the basic “independent” quality of the non-physical entity.

Simply put, it is an act of pure creation. That is, the effect on the physical is created, literally out of nothing. (And yes, the implications of that mean the physical itself was created through the same process. But I won’t go there just yet.)

In anthropomorphic terms, the best label for it is probably “decision”. One could look to a very simple everyday thing to illustrate it…

One is sitting on the couch, watching TV and then they “decide” they want to watch something else. That “decision” is the ultimate cause of their body reaching for the remote and pushing a button.

Now of course one can argue that there were millions of mechanistic, neuro-chemical events going on in the body that lead from the “decision” to the pushing of the button on the remote. But that’s all but irrelevant to my point. My point is that it was the original decision that was the genesis of all those mechanistic neuro-chemical events. The decision itself was not mechanistic or physical. It was pure creation.

And this is pretty much the exact point where my philosophy parts ways with mainstream science.

SkyHook5652's photo
Fri 11/20/09 10:52 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Fri 11/20/09 11:26 PM
Sky wrote:

Let me stop here just to say I understand. There is a difference between “cause” and “reason”. Saying “The reason the cat holds up it’s tails is that it is happy” is (subtly but importantly, in this case) different from “The happiness of the cat causes it’s tail to go up.”

(It took me a while to finally figure that out in trying to understand the idea you were attempting to convey. And I hope you appreciate the effort. )

I hope you do not take this the wrong way, but the above does not reflect my thoughts, nor would it follow from what I am attempting to convey. :wink: Old habits die hard, and I have not done the best job of re-phrasing things in a more applicable way, although my last post was much better at that. Hell, for all I know I could end up walking in a big circle. laugh This is still in mid process.
I completely understand and I'm just doing my job playing the devil's advocate.

No harm, no foul. biggrin drinker

I do not see a significant difference between reason and cause. I do not think that we can say either of those things. I think that we can say that the tail posture has an intrinsic meaning and reflects the cat's mental state/attitude - in and of itself.

We say the cat is 'happy', but I do not think that that can be concluded as the 'cause' for the posture, only a reflection of an intrinsic mental state behind the behavior itself. What the behavior intrinsically means.
Personally, I don’t see a significant difference between reason and cause either. But that’s the best I could do in trying to differentiate between cause and intrinsic meaning.

Dictionary.com has this to say in it’s synonym study: BECAUSE introduces a direct reason: “I was sleeping because I was tired.”

It also says this in it’s usage notes: “Usage Note: A traditional rule holds that the construction ‘the reason is because’ is redundant, and should be avoided in favor of ‘the reason is that.’”

So the way it looks to me is that “The reason the cat raises it’s tail is that it is happy.” And “The cat raises it’s tail because it is happy.” Are perfectly synonymous. And if so, then “I do not see a significant difference between reason and cause.” would mean to me that there would be no significant difference between that and “The cat being happy caused it’s tail to raise.” Which would mean the intrinisic meaning is the cause.

And yes, of course, this is all about labels. But that only because it’s all about labels, if you get what I’m saying. :wink:

creative wrote:

The behavior has an intrinsic meaning. It reflects a state of being or the mental attitude of the cat in question. The state/attitude exists, regardless of whether or not we have a term to identify it. The term itself does not create the conditions which cause that state. That state/attitude is intrinsic to the behavior. It could have any number of different causes but always reflects the same meaning.
Sky responded:

You say “The state/attitude exists, regardless of whether or not we have a term to identify it.” But does it?

Are you really doubting that the cat has a mental state regardless of whether or not humans have created a label for it?

How do you know?

The same way we know that any creature capable of different states of mind have them... by observation.

Can you measure that state/attitude itself through any objective means? I don’t think so.

I think it can be, and has been done to some degree.

If I observe a cat for a long enough period of time under normal everyday conditions, I can establish a baseline of normal everyday behavior. I can know how it acts when hungry, hunting, seeking to be pet, etc. If, during that time, there is no set of conditions which unexpectedly disturb/startle the animal, then I would not be able to assess how being 'startled' affected that cat's behavior.

If a bucket of water unexpectedly woke the cat from a nap, are you saying that that cat's behavioral response would not display intrinsic meaning. Are you saying that that would not display what a 'startled' state of mind looked like through observable behavior? Are you also claiming that the next time the cat acted in the same manner, despite my not knowing the actual cause, that I would not be able to confidently say that the behavior meant that the cat was startled?

Why not?
I knew I shouldn’t have gone there. It only serves to spin off on a tangent. So let me just say that I consider the mental state of the cat to be equivalent to the chemical and neurological processes that constitute what you are calling “inherent meaning”. That is, “mental state” is itself an “assigned meaning”, not an intrinsic one, which is what this discussion is all about. So that direction is an unnecessary tangent that I don’t think we need to spin off into as it will only lead to the same place.

If that’s ok with you.
Sky wrote:

The most you can say is that there is a cause-effect relationship between the smell of food and the cat’s tail going up. That is, there is a direct, cause-end-effect chain of chemical and neurological events that leads from the first airborne food molecule contacting an olfactory nerve, to the muscles in the tail contracting. And there is also a myriad of other effects triggered by the first molecule contacting the first olfactory nerve.

Now if that entire cause-effect matrix (i.e. “state”) is what you’re labeling “intrinsic meaning”, then I understand.
I don't think that I am labeling the entire set of circumstances as the intrinsic meaning. I very well may be equivocating between a mental state/attitude and displayed behavior though. I am not quite sure of that just yet.
No problem. I’m willing to work with you on it. drinker

However, you would then have to say that any cause-effect relationship, of more than two stages, constitutes “intrinsic meaning”.

Either that or you’re going metaphysical on me and I’ll expect the rapture at any second.

I am only metaphysical in private!

:wink:
drinker

SkyHook5652's photo
Fri 11/20/09 10:21 PM
Not really. As I understand it, dualism is about two difference facets of the same thing. So when the driver get's out of the car, it's not longer two facets of the same thing. It's two disconnected things. So really, the car+driver analogy is not a very good example of dualism.

Wait a second, sure it does. Its a perfect fit.

So the car is the body, the mind the driver.

THAT is dualism. Perfect fit.

Dualism -- Definition from the Specific Philosophy of Mind concept of Dualism I was referring to:
In philosophy of mind, dualism is any of a narrow variety of views about the relationship between mind and matter, which claims that mind and matter are two ontologically separate categories. In particular, mind-body dualism claims that neither the mind nor matter can be reduced to each other in any way, and thus is opposed to materialism in general, and reductive materialism in particular. Mind-body dualism can exist as substance dualism which claims that the mind and the body are composed of a distinct substance, and as property dualism which claims that there may not be a distinction in substance, but that mental and physical properties are still categorically distinct, and not reducible to each other. This type of dualism is sometimes referred to as "mind and body" and stands in contrast to philosophical monism, which views mind and matter as being ultimately the same kind of thing. See also Cartesian dualism, substance dualism, epiphenomenalism.
Yep, dualism fits the analogy perfectly.

SkyHook5652's photo
Fri 11/20/09 10:17 PM
This leaves the interesting question of what reason there could be to behave morally if our bodies are not even a part of us so much as something we're using.
Again, the car/driver analogy works fairly well here.

What reason is there for abiding by the “rules of the road”, if our cars are not a part of us but something we’re using?

Because there are other drivers using cars and we’re all using the same roads, so we have (i.e. make up) rules that allow everyone the opportunity to use their cars to get where they want to go with minimal conflict.
So if we crash a body we have to hope an astral ambulance gets to us quickly and pay big astral bucks for the whole ordeal?
Personally, I would hope for a physical ambulance, but you can wait for an astral ambulance if you want. laugh

SkyHook5652's photo
Fri 11/20/09 10:14 PM
Just wanted to note that Bohm's ideas about The Holographic Universe also points to a concept that what we consider "reality" (i.e. "physical") has an underlying "non-pysical" nature.
The Matrix?? LOL
That's not a bad analogy. drinker
It's not significantly different from solipsism.
Seems to me like it is. There are multiple individuals in the Matrix, and as I understand it, Bohm's theory doesn't say anything about individuals at all, only the nature of reality.

1 2 7 8 9 11 13 14 15 24 25