Community > Posts By > SkyHook5652

SkyHook5652's photo
Thu 12/10/09 11:31 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Thu 12/10/09 11:34 PM
Sky wrote:

Sky wrote:

In other words, if evidence is to be applied to anything at all, there must first be an end to which is it applied. Any judgement about evidence is dependent on why one is applying the evidence. And thus, the import/value of any such evidence can only be judged against an individual’s purpose behind, and desired goal of, considering the evidence.

creative responded:

I am more interested in the proper form of examining evidence, in and of itself. Evidence is anything that constitutes an indication or a sign which provides proof. Evidence has certain attributes which help determine it's sufficiency. Evidence, in order to be considered as aequate, or reason enough to base a conclusion upon, must be sufficient enough. If the evidence in question can logically lead to different conclusions, then either of those conclusions is as valid as the other, and it can become a matter of liklihood. Relevance and adequacy need to be assessed whenever examining evidence.

Sky wrote:

So the question arises about what to do when there are two pieces of evidence that appear to be contradictory.

Well what can one do? One can throw out the evidence (e.g. deny it), or one can devise a (or revise an existing) world view such that the evidence is no longer contradictory, or one can simply label it as an anomaly and accept that it cannot be integrated into the existing world view.

creative responded:

Keep looking for more evidence. Determine it's adequacy and relevance by applying it to as many situations as possible in order establish warrant to draw a conclusion. Sometimes that conclusion may be to say that the evidence at hand is insufficient to be able to draw a firm conclusion.
The above is the context to which these responses are referring...
Well, ok then it becomes a never-ending quest. Either that or one draws a line somewhere and says “I am satisfied with this.” And really, that’s the bottom line in the search for evidence. At some point one must eventually stop – or admit that no evidence is “sufficient”.

However, there are several key words you’ve used that are what I consider to be indicative of the subjectivity involved:

proper
sufficiency
aequate
reason enough
sufficient enough
relevance
warrant

These are all relative terms. That is, in order to determine any of them, they must be measurable. And therein lies the problem. Who determines what “ruler” to use for measurement? I see no reason to assume that everyone does, or must, use the same ruler. The only real reason for agreeing on a ruler is to provide for an agreement on the measurement. But if one does not desire to agree on a measurement, then there is no real reason to agree on the ruler.
Sky, I have read your words here many times over. I am being reminded of earlier words by you, which I - for one reason or another - consciously chose to avoid. It is time that I no longer ignore this point of view. While I respect that people have different opinions on matters, I am more interesting in what grounds those opinions.

You are bringing all methodology into question. Stating the fact that human perception is necessarily subjective does not place all methodology on equal footing. While I have acknowledged the subjective nature of human perception in past and will now once again, I find that to be inconsequential to this topic. It has already been dealt with. That is the reason for objective methodology.

Using an objective method cannot completely eliminate the possibility of subjective influence or error. It does, however, greatly reduce the chances of it. It is because of the fact that we are aware of the inherent erroneous nature of human subjectivity that we have devised objective procedures such as the scientific method and different forms of logic. That is why we created them, in order to avoid - as much as possible - the tendency for subjective human error.

Subjectivity is known to be prone to error. It also happens to be an unavoidable factor, but because we know this, it can be circumvented to a large extent. A large part of that also depends upon agreeing on word usage and meaning. I find that that alone often acts as a stumbling block between you and I. It is possible to avoid this. The only way to determine the value of evidence is to determine it's relevance and sufficiency through logical and/or reasonable application to that which is being considered.

I find it very interesting that you have just used an objective method to build a case against objective methods.
Well, one uses whatever tools are available to achieve one’s ends. drinker

Yes, I am “bringing all methodology into question”. That is a very astute observation.

Consider this statement: “Subjectivity is known to be prone to error.”

But what is the methodology for determining “error”? Unless I miss my guess, the implication is that objectivity is the methodology for determining subjective error. But how can that be??? Measuring subjectivity by objective standards is like measuring weight with a yardstick. The units are completely different and don’t apply to the same phenomena. The most that can be said about subjectivity is that it doesn’t always align with objectivity. But “error”? No – at least not by subjective measure.

How about this: Wouldn’t it be just as valid to judge objectivity by subjective standards? Wouldn’t be just a valid to say that objectivity is “in error” when it doesn’t align with subjectivity?

Sky wrote:

Just as evidence is meaningless without being compared to something, “sufficiency”, “adequacy” “reason enough”, etc. are meaningless without a standard by which to measure them. And possibly more importantly, there must be a purpose for performing the measurement. If there is no such purpose, then “evidence” and “sufficiency” are irrelevant from the outset.
Once again, I cannot understand your direction in thought here or your choice in analogy. It seems as though your attempting to logically build a case which places subjectivity and objectivity on equal grounds, simply because we, as humans, are necessarily subjective in perception.
Well I think placing subjectivity on equal grounds with objectivity is a start. But in fact, I think subjectivity should be placed ahead of objectivity. Not “because we, as humans, are necessarily subjective in perception.” But because subjectivity is the source of importance and value and relevance and all those other subjective terms you used to define and describe how evidence should be evaluated.

The subjective is, in fact, the target of evidence. It is why evidence is even considered in the first place.

Sky wrote:

In other words, consideration and evaluation of evidence has a prerequisite, which is most easily expressed by the question “Why is the evidence being considered/evaluated?”
True enough, even obviously so, yet why make the point? Isn't all evidence evaluated for it's truth value?
I’m not sure that is necessarily the case. Witness now the Young Earther’s use the evidence of carbon dating. In that case the evidence is most definitely not evaluated for it’s truth value. (Although, admittedly I may not understand what you mean by “truth value”.)

And that is why I think different people come to different conclusions when evaluating the same evidence. Their purpose behind evaluating it is different. And I also think that may be the source of much conflict – too often people assume that others have (or should have) the same purpose in evaluating evidence. But they simply don’t.
While I agree with this, it does not cover all situations. Although I can imagine cases in which this applies, I find more reason to believe that the same evidence is evaluated in different ways, because of the fact that humans are necessarily subjective. Many people, if not most, allow their emotional desires to affect their ability to assess evidence, this notion was expressed earlier by another poster with the 'lucky penny' example.
The simplest reply to this is “Why should people not let their emotions affect their ability to assess evidence?"

Subjectivity is what determines the purpose behind the evaluation of evidence. And if emotions are a part of the process that results in a purpose, then in such a case abandoning all emotion would necessitate abandoning the purpose. Thus there would be no reason to evaluate the evidence at all.

The subjective nature of human perception is prone to error, that is the very reason why we developed objective means.

That is an irrefutable fact.
I’m not sure I agree with that. It seems to me that the purpose behind the development of the objective means has as its foundation the desire for a means of attaining agreement. Really, the only measure of “error” is the framework of objectivity itself, which in truth, is a creation of the subjective.
(Oh the irony! :laughing:)

SkyHook5652's photo
Thu 12/10/09 04:25 PM
the rub is that all the "answers" to this "problem" and the "problem" itself is being decided by politicians. science has little to say where funding goes. it goes to those scientists who create sound bites that support the views of whichever party is in power. so instead of finding scientific solutions, we fund projects that lead to election or re-election.
Too unfortunately true. The discoveries of science are almost entirely controlled (both by control of funding of research and by control of dissemination of findings) by "the powers that be". Consider the amount spent on such things as LHC and LIGO versus the amount spent on RV and PK.

SkyHook5652's photo
Thu 12/10/09 04:15 PM
Sky wrote:

In other words, if evidence is to be applied to anything at all, there must first be an end to which is it applied. Any judgement about evidence is dependent on why one is applying the evidence. And thus, the import/value of any such evidence can only be judged against an individual’s purpose behind, and desired goal of, considering the evidence.
I am more interested in the proper form of examining evidence, in and of itself. Evidence is anything that constitutes an indication or a sign which provides proof. Evidence has certain attributes which help determine it's sufficiency. Evidence, in order to be considered as aequate, or reason enough to base a conclusion upon, must be sufficient enough. If the evidence in question can logically lead to different conclusions, then either of those conclusions is as valid as the other, and it can become a matter of liklihood. Relevance and adequacy need to be assessed whenever examining evidence.

So the question arises about what to do when there are two pieces of evidence that appear to be contradictory.

Well what can one do? One can throw out the evidence (e.g. deny it), or one can devise a (or revise an existing) world view such that the evidence is no longer contradictory, or one can simply label it as an anomaly and accept that it cannot be integrated into the existing world view.

Keep looking for more evidence. Determine it's adequacy and relevance by applying it to as many situations as possible in order establish warrant to draw a conclusion. Sometimes that conclusion may be to say that the evidence at hand is insufficient to be able to draw a firm conclusion.
I appreciate your viewpoint. I really do. And in many circumstances I agree completely.

However, there are several key words you’ve used that are what I consider to be indicative of the subjectivity involved:

proper
sufficiency
aequate
reason enough
sufficient enough
relevance
warrant

These are all relative terms. That is, in order to determine any of them, they must be measurable. And therein lies the problem. Who determines what “ruler” to use for measurement? I see no reason to assume that everyone does, or must, use the same ruler. The only real reason for agreeing on a ruler is to provide for an agreement on the measurement. But if one does not desire to agree on a measurement, then there is no real reason to agree on the ruler.

Just as evidence is meaningless without being compared to something, “sufficiency”, “adequacy” “reason enough”, etc. are meaningless without a standard by which to measure them. And possibly more importantly, there must be a purpose for performing the measurement. If there is no such purpose, then “evidence” and “sufficiency” are irrelevant from the outset.

In other words, consideration and evaluation of evidence has a prerequisite, which is most easily expressed by the question “Why is the evidence being considered/evaluated?”

And that is why I think different people come to different conclusions when evaluating the same evidence. Their purpose behind evaluating it is different. And I also think that may be the source of much conflict – too often people assume that others have (or should have) the same purpose in evaluating evidence. But they simply don’t.

SkyHook5652's photo
Thu 12/10/09 03:36 PM
An OBE is evidence, there can be no doubt of that. Any personal experience of any sort must be considered as evidence.
a report of obe is testimonial evidence and is subject to how one deems the credibility of the witness and the testimony. without physical evidence to support the testimony the report may just as well be considered outlandish as plausible depending on how credible the testimony seems to someone who's expected to render a judgement. i know of no physical evidence that supports a testimony of an obe.
Ok, my bad. I didn't specify the viewpoint from which the evidence is examined, other than the statement "personal experience".

I intended to mean that OBE is evidence to the person who experienced it. I agree that it cannot be claimed as objective evidence in any way because it is, by nature, an entirely subjective experience.

Now on the other hand, there is some confusion/disagreement as to the difference between Remote Viewing and OBE. Most scientists that I have read up on use the term RV instead of OBE, since it lends itself better to a more subjective evaluation.

Now in the sense of RV, there actually is some objective scientific evidence. (ref: Puthoff&Targe at Standfodr Reseach Insititue and Jahn&Dunne at Princeton Enginerring Anomalies Research.)

But in any case, whatever evidence is put forth, "proof" is entirely dependent on an interpretation of the evidence. And that interpretation is necessarily dependent on the purpose of interpreting it.

SkyHook5652's photo
Wed 12/09/09 05:07 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Wed 12/09/09 05:08 PM
I think I'd go into the future, get a bunch of facts about sporting events and stocks and such, come back, and then just start betting on sure things.
:banana:

SkyHook5652's photo
Wed 12/09/09 04:56 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Wed 12/09/09 04:59 PM
Without getting into any major detail(s) concerning any specific situation or idea, I would like to attempt to discuss the importance and/or value of evidence. Obviously, in order to have evidence there must be a reason for it to be in consideration. That requires the need to show something as reasonable or provable.

Do we not automatically use this concept in all that we come to believe or think that we know?

I'd like to focus on the following statement from the OP...

"Obviously, in order to have evidence there must be a reason for it to be in consideration. "

And this, I believe, is the fundamental reason why arguments arise about “evidence”. It is simply because different people have different purposes in considering evidence.

But the bottom line is, and must always be, that the reason behind considering evidence, is to determine its import/value relative to personal purposes and/or goals.

Thus, “…to discuss the importance and/or value of evidence” is really to discuss personal viewpoints about how the consideration of evidence aligns (or not) with individual world views.

Now personally, I would say that, in general, any consideration of any evidence has the purpose of determining if it aligns with other evidence (i.e. the previous evidence that resulted in the current world view.)

So let’s take, for example, an out-of-body experience (OBE).

An OBE is evidence, there can be no doubt of that. Any personal experience of any sort must be considered as evidence.

Now there are those who consider OBE as evidence of “spirit” in the sense of spirit and body being separate.

And there are those who consider OBE as evidence of the unreliability of personal observation/perception.

Notice here that those who consider OBE as evidence of spirit, take the evidence at face value and thus support for their world view, but those who consider OBE as evidence of the unreliability of personal observation, deny the reliability of the evidence and use that evaluation to support their world view.

In other words, both sides make judgements as to the import/value of the OBE evidence. And it is that personal judgement that forms the world view.

Bottom line here is that the import/value of evidence is necessarily subjective and thus the import/value of a world view based on the evidence is also necessarily subjective.

So all we really end up with is the conclusion that no world view can be any more important/valuable that any other world view because all world views are necessarily subjective.

SkyHook5652's photo
Tue 12/08/09 09:33 AM
BTW - I think I agree with Abra on his assesment of the "spiritual putdown" nature of the thread.

The title looks to me like a patronizong cliche' when combined with the content of the OP.

But that's just my own opinion.

SkyHook5652's photo
Tue 12/08/09 09:00 AM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Tue 12/08/09 09:13 AM
PeterPan wrote:

You have a conflicting statement there...
You claim to not have ruled it out or determined it to be false, yet you make a judgement on it saying there would be no way to know what it entails if it were true. If it were proven to you, wouldn't that give you the knowledge to understand it?

That only conflicts if there is a way to know.

You then show ill-intent by implying anyone who does believe in spirit is "delusional" for trying to learn more about it.

Let's define delusion.

a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary; also : the abnormal state marked by such beliefs

That is the definition I am using. Seeing how spirit has not been proven to exist, there is no evidence which would necessarily prove it, otherwise it would have been proven already and this discussion would not be necessary or applicable.
First off, where's the "indisputable evidence to the contrary"? I have yet to see any. All you've said is "not been proven to exist" and "no evidence which would necessarily prove it". But that's not "indisputable evidence to the contrary". By your own admission, it is not possible to produce any evidence whatsoever either way. So the label of "delusion" cannot be applied.

Secondly, your definition states "false psychotic belief regarding the self". Now unless you can show both "psychosis" and "false belief", then the term "delusion" does not apply at all, by your definition.

Third, "spirit has not been proven to exist" is, quite simply, false. It has been proven to many people. It just has not been proven to you and others of the logical positivist persuasion.

And finally, the definition states "...belief regarding the self...". Now as far as I'm concerned, the spirit is self, so believing one is not spirit would be the more delusional belief. But that's just my own opinion.

SkyHook5652's photo
Tue 12/08/09 08:48 AM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Tue 12/08/09 09:04 AM
The truth is, there is no proof that spirit exists.

I feel that many of the non-spiritual people here have a hard time explaining their views, not so much because they are unable, but moreso because the very content of their reasoning and the logical content of the demonstration hurts other people's feelings. That alone can cause those with their feelings hurt to assume ill intent. That is wrong to assume. There is no reason to assume that because one gives logical grounds which happen to contradict another's beliefs that it is done with ill intent. Some people think logically.

With religions having such a profound influence in human history, I suppose some people have a hard time digesting the fact that the concept of spirit is just that, and has not been proven to exist anywhere other than one's mind. Others may claim that it is hateful to demonstrate why and how that is the case. I do not find truth value to be hateful, I find it to be a useful and a much more meaningful approach for weeding out the possibility to be tricked into believing something which may not be completely correct or possibly even blatently false. I would much rather know that a belief which I held has logical flaws and/or is just plain false than to continue believing it.

I do not find my own personal self-worth in my belief system, I do not need the concept of spirit to feel good about myself or my life. I do not need the concept of spirit to confirm my purpose. I do not need the concept of spirit to find value in others. I do not need the concept of spirit to experience love. I do not need the concept of spirit for anything I can think of, including holding out some hope for a better afterlife. Therefore, I find much more worth in a demonstrable and accurate representation of reality.

It is not that I have ruled out the concept or have determined it to be false. It is that I have come to realize that if it is true, there is no way to know what it entails, therefore it would be delusional to attempt to build an entire belief system and/or knowledge base around that which cannot be known.
That final sentence is the only thing I really disagree with.

Although "...has not been proven to exist anywhere other than one's mind.." is a little slippery, I can let that one go.

But I will say that it is in fact, possible to know the existence of spirit.

I know it. And I know many other's who also know it.

So my only real objection is the the statement that it "cannot be known".

The fact of the matter is that it is known.

And with all due respect for everyone's views on the matter, I think that the biggest problem is that many people disagree on exactly what it is. And that gives rise to the fuzziness of definition/concept that the logical positivists can't accept.

SkyHook5652's photo
Sun 12/06/09 05:37 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Sun 12/06/09 05:38 PM
Yeah, thinking that our couple centuries of "scientific investiagation" is sufficient to say what can and/or cannot be done by a civilization with, say, ten or a hundread times that much, seems a little presumptuous to me.

SkyHook5652's photo
Fri 12/04/09 12:24 AM
Well shet mah mouf. :cry:

SkyHook5652's photo
Thu 12/03/09 11:47 PM
I can use a method or any other tool without utilizing all of it's possible benefits. To utilize something is to use it in the best way possible...

Right?

For the discriminating "user"... (:wink:)

The two definitions in dictionary.com that have the closest meaning are:

Use - to make use of
Utilize - to put to use

A very fine distinction, but I would say you nailed it pretty well. drinker

SkyHook5652's photo
Thu 12/03/09 11:39 PM
I would like to add that if anyone asked me what I would suggest to them for good health, vitality, and spiritual growth I would have to tell them that focused deep breathing is what they should seriously practice.

My deep breathing experience literally changed WHO I WAS overnight. After a strange light appeared in the room and then just disappeared, I thought nothing of it. Coincidence I said.

BUT
The next day, I was transformed in some way. I completely walked away from my current life and "friends" because I was so transformed I could not abide them or their activities and attitudes any longer. I had no interest at all in that mindset. It was like they were living in an evil angry chaotic world. They held anger, fear, worry, revenge, greed in their hearts, and suddenly, almost over night, I was aware of a permanent feeling of joy and gratitude and love for life.

Transformed over night I was. All from deep breathing.

Try it.

Maybe "spirit" really is breath. happy
Epiphanies are wonderful and wondrous things. I have had several in my life, and I'm sure this is true of many people.

How they come about though is truly a mystery. Personally, I think this is the major force behind the furtherance of various mataphysical views. It does seem that epiphany's are more likely to occur through metaphysical pursuits than through the regimentsd, deductive pursuits.

Just my thoughts. drinker

SkyHook5652's photo
Thu 12/03/09 05:11 PM
Very informative Bushi, thanks.

SkyHook5652's photo
Thu 12/03/09 03:50 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Thu 12/03/09 03:51 PM
Personal semantic pet peeve: the word "comprise".

Its rarely used correctly, and this irritates me. It seems like no one knows what this word means, and many use it as if they do. Unlike other words that are adapted, nothing is gained by abusing this word (there is no 'hole' in our language being filled...). Plus, people are using it for the exact opposite of what it means - they often mean 'compose'... we already have the word compose, thank you.

It reminds me of 'irregardless', but thats doesn't bother me, it just amuses me to no end. I'm giggling right now. Hey, lets add another syllable, use the word in exactly the opposite of its meaning, and somehow think we sound smarter for doing so. Lets utilize that paradigm.

Oh, and it looks like, as usual, the majority rules and logic loses - apparently some dictionaries suggest that 'irregardless' means the same as 'regardless'.
Well what could it mean.

Regard
Regardless
Irregardless?? WTF mate.
And why is there no "irregard" or "disregardless" :laughing:

SkyHook5652's photo
Thu 12/03/09 03:44 PM
Personal semantic pet peeve: the word "comprise".

Its rarely used correctly, and this irritates me. It seems like no one knows what this word means, and many use it as if they do. Unlike other words that are adapted, nothing is gained by abusing this word (there is no 'hole' in our language being filled...). Plus, people are using it for the exact opposite of what it means - they often mean 'compose'... we already have the word compose, thank you.

It reminds me of 'irregardless', but thats doesn't bother me, it just amuses me to no end. I'm giggling right now. Hey, lets add another syllable, use the word in exactly the opposite of its meaning, and somehow think we sound smarter for doing so. Lets utilize that paradigm.

Oh, and it looks like, as usual, the majority rules and logic loses - apparently some dictionaries suggest that 'irregardless' means the same as 'regardless'.
I'm not sure that logic should even be a consideration when discussin language and semantics. About the only word/meaning pairs that could truly be considered "logical" are onomatopoeic words.

Just a thought. drinker

SkyHook5652's photo
Wed 12/02/09 05:30 PM
One of my closest friends has Norse bloodline in him.
So I'm responsible for his service.

He wants me to float his bloated corpse into the Pacific and shoot flaming arrows at it until he is incinerated.

I can barely use a bow.

****ing friends, ya know?
Get a flame-thrower and call it a "bow".

I am pissed off today because I bought a tub of sour cream that has no sour cream in it, but shooot like guam gum, and ascerbic acid and other shoooot.

I looked at all the other brands that were there, and nothing that says "Sour Cream" has any sour cream in it.

So a flame thrower can be called a bow, according to the new rules of language that serves the profiteering of the fat capitalist swine.
That reminds me of something I just recently ran across, which literally stoppped me in my tracks for several seconds trying to wrap my wits around it - "fat free cream".

I think the marketing lads have finally gone off the deep end. :laughing:

SkyHook5652's photo
Wed 12/02/09 03:16 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Wed 12/02/09 03:17 PM
I’m not even sure that “defining spirit” is a sensible endeavor. To me, spirit is not defined by things, it is what defines things. I guess the simplest definition I can come up, for myself, is – spirit is “I”.

I think Abra’s comments on Dragoness’ post express the problem pretty well. Like the “quantum field”, it can only be defined in terms of it’s effects. There is no possible way to define it in terms of its “composition” because there are no components. The best that can be done is to say that “it’s where stuff comes from” or “it’s what makes thing come into being” or even (and maybe most accurately) “it is what ‘becomes’”.

One can say “I am a Doctor” or “I am Joe” or “I am a human being” or “I am an emergent property”. But those expressions all say that there are two things – “I” and the thing that “I” becomes. “I” is not the things that it “becomes”, “I” is the thing that becomes those things. Or one could say it this way: “I” assumes the identity of those things.

JMHO. flowerforyou

SkyHook5652's photo
Wed 12/02/09 03:41 AM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Wed 12/02/09 03:41 AM

But calling out the grill police to shoot anyone who doesn’t live up to your standards of grill cleanliness does not make the food any better or the party any more fun. It only servers to make everyone else less likely to use the grill at all. So the end result is not “better grilling”, it’s actually “less grilling”. And eventually, if it continues, grilling stops completely, and you’ve achieved the perfect grill - one that never gets dirty because everyone is too afraid to use it! So now you’ve got the grill all to yourself and never have to worry about anyone ever making it dirty.

Happy grilling.
It is about etiquette. The only people afraid to use the grill would be people who do not want to use a clean one. There are dirty ones to use as well, just not usually in the same location. I personally do not like the implicit meanings behind the terms clean and dirty, I was just following the given analogous frame.
Yes, I don’t like those terms either - or the whole analogy for that matter. But like you I was just working with what was already there. drinker

Freedom of choice is great Sky, I want to say that this post is not condescending in any way, my friend. I wish you would understand the idea that some words have specific meaning for very good reason. Some people do not care that much about terminological correctness...

But some do because it is extremely important for an accurate understanding.

flowerforyou
I completely understand and agree why words have very specific meanings. And I have no objection whatsoever to them being used with their agreed upon meanings. But I also have no objection to them being used with made-up meanings either. I see no point in blasting someone for using a word improperly. To me, that is impolite. And I see no point in arguing semantics. Discussing semantics may be necessary to achieve understanding. But the whole point of communicating at all, is to gain understanding. And arguing semantics does nothing to accomplish that.

If improper word usage is a barrier to understanding, then by all means use proper wording (if such exists). But don’t put the cart before the horse and make proper word usage the purpose. The purpose is understanding.

flowerforyou

SkyHook5652's photo
Tue 12/01/09 06:51 PM
I think that the computer analogy can provide some insight into the concept of "body".

With human bodies, there are senses that receive input. The eyes and ears are probably the most readily compared to the computer analogy. If we hook up a camera and a microphone to the computer, would tha not be equivalent to giving it "sight" and "hearing". And if we go further and put it into a robotic mechanism that is capabale of ambulation, we need to provide a whole complex system for sensing the relationship between the mechanism and the terrain over which it it ambulating.

So it seems to me that the whole system of mechanical and electronic input/output devices, which provide the "brain" with an interface to the external world, would be functionally equivalent to a "body".
Correct, an analog may be challenging to build but a finite task.

What exactly was the point? Not being rude but honestly curious, I love this topic.
It was mostly in reference to Jane's statement of "a computer has no concept of body".

Whether or not a computer would be considered to "have a concept" at all is, of course, debatable. But if it were capable of "conceiving" in that sense, it seems to me that the various "extensionals" (legs or wheels for mobility, camera and microphone for input, speaker for output, etc.) would constitute that computer's "sense of body".

1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 24 25