Community > Posts By > SkyHook5652

SkyHook5652's photo
Wed 11/04/09 01:51 PM
Really, as I see it, the problems of humanity all boil down to one thing: the limitations of the physical body. If those limitations were removed, then I think most of the problems of humanity would just go poof! About the only problems left would be those inherent in communication.

In other words, the limitations inherent of the body are what limit personal survival and the limitations of communication are what limit interaction with others.

SkyHook5652's photo
Wed 11/04/09 01:40 PM
Okay, I'm with Sky on the controllable telepathy, but I'd change the body switching to teleporters. I keep going back and forth on this because, personally, I'd love a new body that didn't hold me back the way this one does. But, then I wonder, if we never got sick, would we bother to try taking care of ourselves or would we just abuse the hell out of ourselves until our bodies collapsed and then just get a new one? And, then, we wouldn't actually ever die. We'd just keep putting ourself into a new body here. And, that would probably defeat the whole purpose of our being here in the first place.

But, I would like a teleporter (or transporter or whatever you'd call it). It would make it so easy for me to visit people I met here. bigsmile
I totally see were you're going with this. Teleportation would mean not having to "waste time getting from point A to point B".

So I guess I didn't expand enough on the concept of "designing and creating bodies". If we could design a body that could survive, unassisted in intergalactic space, or in the center of a star? Or that could travel faster than light? (Which would necessitate removing that pesky light speed limitation from the rules of the universe.) In other words, the body itself would be the transporter.

So maybe I should have said "transform" insted of "create".

And just a note here, there is a SciFi book ("The Silkie" by A.E. Van Voght) that postulates exactly such a bodily transformation capability. And there is also another SciFi book/story (I don;t remember where I read it) whose entire premise was about the problems of security inherent in the concept of "personal teleporters".

SkyHook5652's photo
Wed 11/04/09 01:25 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Wed 11/04/09 01:26 PM
That’s the surest way I know of to create conflict.

There is no conflict until someone objects.

It is the act of objecting that creates conflict.

Now if your whole purpose is to create conflict, then go ahead and object.

Just don’t forget where the source of any resulting conflict lies.
I generally avoid using this subject in arguments but do you think Jewish people shouldn't have objected to Nazi eugenics practices?
The initial objection was not that of the Jews objecting to eugenics, but the Nazi’s objecting to the Jews. That’s where the downward spiral started. From there it became objections to objections.

But that example is all but irrelevant - unless you’re trying to say that the Jews objecting to Nazi eugenics is comparable to one poster in this forum objecting to the statements of another.
By the rules you laid out it would be.
Yes, it would be, which then makes it supportive of my claim. biggrin

But hey, should Nazis not have objected to Jews ruining their lives? Whether that's what was there or not that's certainly what they thought they saw.
Whether or not they “should have” is irrelevant to my point.

If objection is what creates conflict then conflict is not a meaningful stage of interactions to look at.
I wouldn’t say that. It is meaningful[meaningless] when one is trying to trace back to the root of the conflict.
Don't insult my intelligence, you were just claiming it to be the root.
Well excuse my typo. (Or not – your choice).

Do you really consider your intelligence to be insulted by a typo???

This is a perfect example of where you appear to be coming from – looking for things to object to, not trying understand.

then yes I would be in the wrong. But I don’t object to him thinking that.
But by your own opinions and beliefs you seem to have done something you were criticizing others for. Is this not hypocritical?
As I said in the part of the quote that you conveniently mined out, if I were doing that, then yes, I would be hypocritical. So unless you can show me where I objected to him thinking sometrhing, then you’re just fabricating stuff to object to out of thin air.

SkyHook5652's photo
Wed 11/04/09 01:34 AM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Wed 11/04/09 01:41 AM
Very interesting question Abra.

I think the first thing I would suggest, if I were in a position to have input into the creation, would be to fix "language". I'd make it so that there was only one language and one meaning for every word and everything would have a single word that referred to it and only it. That way you could go anywhere in the universe and be able to communicate easily with anyone you every encountered.

Although, I even better than that would be some sort of "controllable telepathy" where communication did not require any physical medium at all, but could still be turned on and off at will - so you didn't have to hear everyone elses thoughts all the time and other's could only hear what thoughs of yours you wanted them to hear.

Secondly I would make it so that people could design and create any type of body they wanted and transfer their "self" (whatever one considers that to be) from body to body. Kinda like being able to design and create any kind of vehicle one wanted and switch between them whenever you wanted based on where you wanted to go and what you wanted to do.

Other than that, I can't think of any other "really big" changes I'd make.

SkyHook5652's photo
Wed 11/04/09 01:14 AM
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq167/MirrorMirror2009/072730aeadfd8c723d95854468c87016.jpg
Just watched the premiere episode. Not all that great. Looks like it will only take few a episodes to settle into the standard soap opera format that almost all SciFi series' eventually turn into. But it's really no worse than most of the stuff on TV. And it has some pretty cool CGI.
:smile: I liked it.:smile: It was too short,and yes it went by the formula that a lot of shows go by today.:smile: It is to try to attract young viewers.:smile: But I feel that it has some potential if the writers can reveal surprises and also keep to the basic series premise.:smile:This premier episode seemed a tad bit overly edited.:smile: Like we werent seeing the whole thing.:smile:They should have made it a 2 hour premiere episode.:smile:But I like it because we need a reptilian alien show out there spreading this concept to the general public.:thumbsup:
Yeah, I guess if were younger it would probably grab me a little harder. I guess I've just seen to many shows with the exact same basic format and the exact same basic theme and the exact same basic characters. Maybe if it had a little more CGI. What's a hard core SciFan of 50 years gonna do??? :laughing:

SkyHook5652's photo
Wed 11/04/09 01:07 AM
Photographs from across the vast universe...music by Fiona Appleflowerforyou http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/32717/Across_The_Universe/
:smile: One of my favorite places in the universe is the Pillars of Creation:smile:
Mine too! Ever since I first saw a picture of them. :thumbsup:

SkyHook5652's photo
Wed 11/04/09 12:45 AM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Wed 11/04/09 01:06 AM
No, I am not. In my opinion I have sufficient evidence and proof. The only reason you don't think so is because you will only accept "meeting them in person" as your proof. Even if that could be arranged, I am betting that you would not believe them anyway.
Personal experience is not evidence. How do you know you're not experiencing a delusion? I wouldn't take meeting the designer of the Universe as evidence of his/her/its existence, either. How do I know it really happened? Our senses are not immutable and concrete. Schizophrenics believe a number of things, but do you believe one when he tells you God made him drown his children? Think about it.

Before you leap to conclusions, no, I'm not implying that you're crazy. Just that you, like everyone else, are human.
Oh but personal experience is evidence. From a first person perspective, it is the only evidence there can possibly be. And the OP request specifically stated the first person perspective . "I want..."

Now the definition you gave included the phrase “ground for belief”. And if you understand how dictionaries work, you will know that phrase is intended to mean exactly the same thing as the next phrase - “proof”, and the previous phrase – “that which tends to prove or disprove something”, and the word being defined – “evidence”. So right off the bat you're working with both subjective ("belief") and an indeterminate ("tends") concepts.

Now since the word “for”, in this case, means – “suiting the purposes or needs of”, and the question specifies the target of the action of “showing” to be the OP (i.e. first person), the OP’s request can only be fulfilled by “ground+
/ that suites the personal purposes or needs of the OP’s belief in a designer”.

And that is entirely a first person perspective, i.e. personal experience. There is no second or third person anywhere in that portion of the OP request.

So not only does personal experience constitute evidence in and of itself, but in this case it is a necessary requirement for evidence.

drinker

SkyHook5652's photo
Wed 11/04/09 12:13 AM
Abracadbra wrote:

All I gave is 'evidence' for design.

All I saw was evidence which did not necessitate the conclusion of a designer. From my point of view the evidence presented thus far required that because we seem to see order, there must be a design, and therefore where there is a design, there must also be a designer.

I have clearly shown on several occasions where order does not equate to design, and vice-versa.
Ok, so you’ve shown it. So what? I’ve clearly shown on several occasions that order does equate to design, and vice-versa. But again, so what?

If I can’t see what you’ve shown, and you can’t see what I’ve shown, and we’ve both shown it on several occasions, then why keep beating the same dead horse.

If you’re actually trying to convince someone of something, then why keep saying, over and over, that you’ve already shown it? Or are you expecting that doing the same thing over and over will somehow have a different result?

SkyHook5652's photo
Tue 11/03/09 11:51 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Wed 11/04/09 12:48 AM
Abra said
So the very concept of an emergent property is nothing more than totally meaningless abstract semantic gobbledlygook made-up by humans.
Well I don't know if I would go quite that far. But it is true that it is totally abstract and made-up by humans. :smile:

SkyHook5652's photo
Tue 11/03/09 11:44 PM
And this is why this discussion will go NOWHERE. No one can agree on semantics.
Bingo! drinker

SkyHook5652's photo
Tue 11/03/09 11:33 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Tue 11/03/09 11:47 PM
Abra, I totally get what you are talking about. drinker flowerforyou
Truly.

I make my point and he comes back with a lecture on how nucleosynthesis takes place in stars.

Like as if that even has anything at all to do with what I'm talking about. whoa

I guess these people truly are in denial of the real question. That's all I can figure.
They are not looking outside of the box. (I.E. the universe)
Exactly! That is inherent in the scientific method. It cannot look "outside the box". By it's very definition it must stay in the box.

SkyHook5652's photo
Tue 11/03/09 11:28 PM
So my question would be: Are things that don’t follow any known laws of physics considered to be external to the system under consideration?
It depends - do you think we have uncovered all the possible laws that govern how this universe functions???
It depends - are things that don’t follow any known laws of physics considered to be external to the universe??? :wink:

SkyHook5652's photo
Tue 11/03/09 11:18 PM
Just watched the premiere episode. Not all that great. Looks like it will only take few a episodes to settle into the standard soap opera format that almost all SciFi series' eventually turn into. But it's really no worse than most of the stuff on TV. And it has some pretty cool CGI.

SkyHook5652's photo
Tue 11/03/09 11:10 PM
1. Is your clone a human?

Yes

2. Does your clone have a soul?

Trick question, but the true answer is No. :wink:

3. Is that clone's soul YOUR soul?

No.
Why is that a trick question? Do you have a soul?

By soul, let me say that it is a unified field that is kept as "a body" after you discard your physical body.
Ah, ok. I have a hard time differentiating between what different people mean by the various terms that they use - such as "soul", "spirit" "essence", "consciousness" etc. To me they're all the same.

So I was thinking of "soul" in the sense of "I am a soul".

But that's not they way you defined it so...

I don't consider "what is kept after the body dies" to be "a body" in any sense of the word that I can imagine. So in that sense, I would say that I don't have a soul.
I don't identify with A SOUL as in "I am a soul." The soul, for me, is a container of memories, information, experiences from a point of view of a single incarnation.

I am not "a soul" ultimately. (Ultimately... I just am, or I am that which is.)

But for now, I will identify with my higher self.

A MORE DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF WHAT I BELIEVE A SOUL IS:

The 'soul' does not 'die.' It is simply a unified field that contains all of the information and memories of that individual person or incarnation. It is a force field that contains the essence of that person, which is never destroyed. I believe that field contains a 'mind' and memories and is connected to the higher mind of the higher self that contains all of the individual units or "souls" of each individual incarnation experienced by your personal true self or YOU. Your true self contains all of these unified fields and contains all of the memories of your past lives and past experiences. These experiences are then available to you and all of your other incarnations after you(they) die. I see them as units that store information, memories, and experiences.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. The more understanding the better. drinker

SkyHook5652's photo
Tue 11/03/09 02:33 PM
I have been made fun of a lot about my beliefs but bottom line, I am my final authority. What they think is not my concern.
I'm assuming this is over things like "alien abductions really happen" - and that the people who make fun of you believe they are 'more rational' or 'more sane'. Too often, they are just 'willing to agree with socially dominant beliefs'. They are aren't really rational at all.
Very well said.

SkyHook5652's photo
Tue 11/03/09 02:30 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Tue 11/03/09 02:30 PM
Less need for police will drive for less need for taxes.

But I think the politicians will realize that they can easily steal the excess monies that get freed up from feeding police, so taxes will stay the same. And we can't even prosecute the politicians, because there will be no cops to do the job! Wow, what a concept. The holy grail of corrupt officialdom.
Exactly, And I think that is in the forefront of the minds of those who are opposed to it.

If power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, then what can we expect from a system that hands over more and more power to a select few?

SkyHook5652's photo
Tue 11/03/09 02:26 PM
Edited by SkyHook5652 on Tue 11/03/09 02:27 PM
Or maybe it was an example of "telepathic" communication that transcends mere words.

I like to think the latter. flowerforyou
I actually thought this first. Now who's reading who's mind? :wink: flowerforyou
Good question. But an even more interesting question is did one actually come before the other?

Personally, I think the very concept of telepathy transcends space and time. And there is even some scientific evidence that indicates exactly that.

So here we are at one of the fundamental anomalies that plagues moderm physics - "instantaneous connection".

Welcome to the world of Quantum Mechanics. :laughing: flowerforyou

EDIT: Sorry for the Off topic. We now resume our regularly scheduled program.

SkyHook5652's photo
Tue 11/03/09 02:16 PM
I'm wondering what this concept of "default" means. After looking in dictionary.com, the closest definition I can find that seems to fit the topic under discussion is a computer term that means: "... a course of action that a program or operating system will take, when the user or programmer specifies no overriding value or action"

So in any case, there must be some presupposition involved. Someone somewhere decided that "if there is no other direction indicated by some external factor, we'll always head in the dirction of _____".

It's like it's based on inertia - once started in a given direction, we'll always continue in that given direction until some external event causes us to change direction.

And the whole track of this debate seesm to always revolve around a disagreement on what the default should be.

So I'd like to ask any and all of the proponents of the "no designer" view, what is your default?

Personally, my default is "me". That is the most basic, fundamental, irreducible foundation for all my evaluations of everything. To me that is Occam's Razor at it's finest.

But it seems that the "scientific default" is "others".

It just seems kind weird to me. It's as if "I" is purposefully excluded from any evaluation of anything.

This is an interesting subject that has been just recently been recognized as a bit of a flaw in the currently accepted, mainstream "scientific method".

As far as I'm concerned, it amounts to, quite simply, ignoring relevant evidence.

SkyHook5652's photo
Tue 11/03/09 01:45 PM
Wux said
Purpose and reason are a type of cause, but there are other types of cause, not just purpose and reason. Furthermore, in my belief system it is not necessary at all for any system (in fact, it is highly improbable) to have purpose or reason. There is no evidence for it, which cannot be explained by causes other than reason or purpose. In fact, it is a highly suspicious explanation for any phenomenon for atheists like me when someone introduces the concept of "reason" or "purpose" in trying to explain a phenomenon. This is a fundamental, unbridgeable difference.
Just for my own edification, how does something like this fit into your world view:

“I have a purpose of going to the store. My reason for that purpose is to get something to eat.”

I’m not wanting to debate it, just wanting to understand you viewpoint.

SkyHook5652's photo
Tue 11/03/09 01:39 PM
1. Is your clone a human?

Yes

2. Does your clone have a soul?

Trick question, but the true answer is No. :wink:

3. Is that clone's soul YOUR soul?

No.
Why is that a trick question? Do you have a soul?

By soul, let me say that it is a unified field that is kept as "a body" after you discard your physical body.
Ah, ok. I have a hard time differentiating between what different people mean by the various terms that they use - such as "soul", "spirit" "essence", "consciousness" etc. To me they're all the same.

So I was thinking of "soul" in the sense of "I am a soul".

But that's not they way you defined it so...

I don't consider "what is kept after the body dies" to be "a body" in any sense of the word that I can imagine. So in that sense, I would say that I don't have a soul.