Community > Posts By > BigD9832

BigD9832's photo
Mon 01/21/19 09:45 AM
Again, in honesty, it is a good point that its difficult to have an opinion on a book if you have not read it. Its like having an opinion on a movie that you havent seen.

there is a difference in knowing little about a topic, and knowing nothing about a movie or a book. but yeah, everyone can have an uninformed opinion about a book they havent read or a movie they havent seen. Maybe I should have said it is more difficult to take that opinion into serious consideration.

:thumbsup:

BigD9832's photo
Fri 01/18/19 08:01 AM
From msharmony
you have to read the full post. she ended it with

"How many of the above statements do you think are true? The answer is none; all of them are false. Yet these false impressions persist in the minds of many, and misinformation like this produces a skeptical attitude toward the Bible."

I will never understand how anyone can comment on a book that he/she has not read.

BigD9832's photo
Thu 01/17/19 07:04 AM
From msharmony
IN fairness, she said NONE of those things were true to point out how repeating falsehoods can lead to false beliefs.

From JustBeHonest
The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries AD.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the proces

That is a direct quote from her posts. This is some type of debating tactic. Yes, it is. No, it's not. It's designed to cast doubt.

Some people help promote faith. Some promote doubt. It is obvious to me which one the dishonest "justbehonest" is.

As I have said, most of what she promotes is not true. For example, I do not fall into her categories. I was NOT exposed to much religion as a child. I can count on one hand how many times I was taken to church. So, no indoctrination here.

I went on a quest of my own choosing. I visited many churches when I was a teenager. Including some that were not Christian. I read the Bible when I was 14. Not because I had to. I read it because I heard so much about it from others that I thought it to be an important book. It is obvious that she has never read the Bible. So all of her information on the Bible comes to her second hand. That list of things that are supposed to be in the Bible she got off a web site. Copy and paste. No muss, no fuss. And no studying.

I have run into many people like her. They have been blinded to the truth and try to ignore their own spirituality. All the time trying to fool others and probably herself that she is practicing "critical thinking."

Proverbs 23:7 As a man thinkest, so shall it be...

Such people have not learned the purpose of thinking. They have never learned how to use thought. Often times it is called prayer.

I can understand someone trying to approach Christianity from a neutral standpoint. But this poster has obviously been swayed from the dark side. One-sided.

Besides, as I have said before, she is greatly outnumbered. Christianity is represented by 2.3 billion people. That is about 32% of the population.

BigD9832's photo
Wed 01/16/19 04:40 PM

I don’t quote scriptures because it has nothing to do with why I believe what I believe. That was the question. It didn’t ask why you believe in Christianity. You (***)umed that part.

If you are going to pontificate about what is in the Bible, then you are obligated to show where such feldergarbe is.

You said the Bible tells us the earth is flat. That is just plain wrong, much like most of what you say.

You said the Bible teaches that the Earth is the center of the universe. Again, more BS.

And the reason you don't "quote scriptures" is because there is no Scripture that says the Earth is flat or that the Earth is the center of the universe.

To put it plainly, you lied. Maybe it's time you start to JustBeHonest.

As long as you cannot prove any of this, I feel no obligation to read any of it or follow any of the BS that you are spewing out.

Put up or shut up.

BigD9832's photo
Wed 01/16/19 06:42 AM
Edited by BigD9832 on Wed 01/16/19 06:43 AM
From JustBeHonest
There are hundreds of versions of the bible. The bible has had extensive editing. "The Bible was taken from hand written copies, much of which are only fragments. How can we trust that what we have is accurate?"

The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe.
According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth centuries AD.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe.
The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the proces

How many of the above statements do you think are true? The answer is none; all of them are false. Yet these false impressions persist in the minds of many, and misinformation like this produces a skeptical attitude toward the Bible.

This is typical of someone who doesn't know the Bible and has never read it. For someone who is promoting "think for yourself," this poster has yet to come up with any original thinking,

Pretty much most of what she has posted is untrue.

It may be true that many of the Modern Greek versions have been edited. However, the Ancient Greek text consist of 4 manuscripts are the oldest and most complete text and represented in the CLV. No editing. They have been translated, as these manuscripts were written about 1000 years before
English existed.

Any and all "books" written during that time were handwritten. This includes any history collected from this era, including the philosophies of Socrates, Plato, and other philosophical disciplines.

"The books of the New Testament were written centuries after the events they describe. "
The fact is, we don't know this for sure because we don't have the original manuscripts of the NT. There are about 100 years of Christian history missing. This statement is nothing more than an assumption.

"According to the Bible, the earth is flat.
The Bible teaches that the earth is the center of the universe."

Neither of these statements is true. I have noticed that this poster has not presented any Scripture to back up this claim.

"The earliest New Testament manuscripts go back only to the fourth or fifth"

Again, as we do not have the original manuscripts we do not know when the NT was written. This poster is working off of assumption as wh jumps to conclusions.

"The English Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation (etc.) of the original, and fresh errors were introduced in each stage of the proces "

This poster fails to mention that every single piece of literature contained such errors. As this was over 1000 years before the printing press, all literature was handwritten. The only way to have a copy was to borrow it from someone and copy it yourself.

It is these errors that tell us that these manuscripts are authentic.

Of course, this individual is trying to sit in judgment of anyone who doesn't believe the say way she does. This type of thinking assumes that she knows all things and has divided all information between what is right and what is wrong. What a monumental task she has accomplished.

This activity is outside of the parameter of this thread. The question we are asked to deal with is "Why do you believe what you believe?" Now, what one person thinks is wrong with Christianity.

CLV Matt 22:29 Now, answering, Jesus said to them, "You are deceived, not being acquainted with the scriptures, nor yet with the power of God.

If you are going to talk about the Bible, then you need to read it.

BigD9832's photo
Mon 01/14/19 07:03 AM

Try thinking for yourself and not allow others to think for you.

False “faith healer and evangelist”
Dr. Nolen concentrated his efforts on a nationally known “faith healer” known as Kathryn Kuhlman. She was an ordained minister who had been “healing” about 30 years at that time, and claimed to have treated app. one and one half million patients. Dr. Nolen interview Miss Kuhlman, and secured permission to follow up on the people who attended her services at Minneapolis in June 1973. He used two legal secretaries to secure names, addresses, phone numbers and diagnosis of everyone who was willing to cooperate. In July of 1973 letters were sent by Dr. Nolen requesting those who claimed a "cure" to come to Minneapolis. Twenty three responded. In every case examined by Dr. Nolen there was not found one case of a miraculous cure. (Facts are from an article in McCall's 9/74)

Yes, I have read some of his articles and saw him on TV. 23 people out of 1½ million people is a pretty small control group. It's probably possible to pay off 23 people. Let me know when you find someone who has a larger control group. I would think that at least a few hundred would be more appropriate.

Outside of the Shrine Auditorium were a group of doctors set up with desks. They would check over people who claimed to have ailments. They would check over these same people after the service, and again 5 years later.

But then, you have not seen her in person, nor visited one of her services. You really have no idea what goes on there.

As someone who has been healed by the power of the Holy Spirit, I can attest to the authentic nature of this phenomenon. You, on the other hand, cannot.

But that is not to say that there are no phonies. There are. It takes a thinking person to discover the difference.

I would say it's time that you start thinking for yourself.

BigD9832's photo
Sun 01/13/19 06:28 PM

I meant you. Either using drugs or having amazing dreams. If thousands can be healed in one afternoon, why isn’t everyone healed of everything?

Actually, Kathryn Kuhlman was pretty famous in the 70s. She had her own TV show in the 60s and had written a couple of books. I saw her at one of her services in Calif. at the Shrine Auditorium. At least half of the house was healed that afternoon. That is about 3000 people.

As to your question, which is pretty elementary. If the wind blows somewhere, why doesn't it blow everywhere all the time? Perhaps you can answer that question.

Pick up a book once in a while.

BigD9832's photo
Fri 01/11/19 07:33 PM

Fantasies!

I am not sure what you mean by that, or who you are talking to. But if anyone is trying to disparage physical miracles, he/she must not be very well informed.

I watched thousands of people healed in one afternoon.

BigD9832's photo
Fri 01/11/19 06:53 AM
From GalaxyStarz
I have experienced miracles. God.

Amen.
I also have experienced miracles.
I have also experienced the presence of God and His Son within.
I have been in the presence of the Almighty.

BigD9832's photo
Thu 01/10/19 09:43 AM
From Daisy
Some people are going straight to hell :angry::imp:

As there is no "hell" in the Scriptures, that would be impossible.

All souls go to sheol.

CLV Ezk. 18:4 Behold, all souls, they are Mine! as The soul of the father even as the soul of the son, they are Mine! The soul that is sinning, it shall die.

The soul is NOT immortal. Souls die.

BigD9832's photo
Fri 01/04/19 11:31 PM

Edited for personal attacks.

Di
Site Moderator

Sorry

BigD9832's photo
Fri 01/04/19 11:02 PM
From msharmony
Yes. I think this is hell, which I thought was the question.

According to YOUR English version "hell" is supposed to be eternal. Do you consider "this" to be eternal?

the original bible has NONE of the words we are using because it wasnt written in American English, so it is beside the point of what I think Hell is, considering Hell itself is a modern word and not a biblical one, it is an interpretation of other words, or concepts, which is what i included.

I am curious. Where did you think you saw the "original Bible"?

Just a sample.

BigD9832's photo
Fri 01/04/19 10:47 PM
From Tom4Uhere
I don't consider myself religious anymore.
I do acknowledge that miracles do happen.
Most miracles are accounted after the fact, in other words, they don't happen while a means of recording and testing is available and in use.
However, miracles happen that have a profound effect on someone's life.
It doesn't matter if there is a scientific explanation when the result is easily measured in a change of the nature of those involved.
Whether the miracle is reality, a delusion or interpretation is not significant for it to be what is considered a miracle.

Of course, this is all baloney. I doubt this guy has ever seen a miracle, much less experienced one himself.

Perhaps he has only deluded himself?

BigD9832's photo
Fri 01/04/19 11:25 AM
[quotepeggy122[/i[
The conflict of interest Dat, is that science pronounces fact based on scientific evidence, Religion asserts truth often based on faith.

Where is the middle ground?

This so-called "conflict" can be easily resolved by understanding the nature of a "science." Merrian-Webster defines science as "a department of systematized knowledge as an object of study." My old scienc4e teacher used to define this word as "the study of."

Science is just the organization of knowledge collected and stored.

Evolution, for example, is a study of species of animals on this planet. It does not definitively say that because a man might be classified as an animal, he may lack a soul. Science asks, show me a soul.

I have spoken to several Scientists who are also Christians. They don't seem to have a problem with this.

BigD9832's photo
Fri 01/04/19 11:17 AM
Mortgaging Our Future OR Selling Our Soul

This thread is about what the Scriptures have to say.

CLV Matt 5:33 "Again, you hear that it was declared to the ancients, You shall not be perjuring, yet you shall be paying to the Lord your oaths.
34 Yet I am saying to you absolutely not to swear, neither by heaven, for it is the throne of God,
35 nor by the earth, for it is a footstool for His feet; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King;
36 nor by your head should you be swearing, for you are not able to make one hair white or black.
37 Yet let your word be `Yes, Yes,' `Not, Not.' Now what is in excess of these is of the wicked one.

As this is a more accurate English version because it comes from the Ancient text, the wording may be a little different than you might be used to.

The word that this teaching revolves around is "swear."

Now, perhaps a minister or priest will tell you that this verse is about swearing, or using the Lord's name in vain. Saying things like"Goddamnit." And I am not going to say that is wrong. But I will say that this is a very superficial meaning to this teaching.

Strong's

G3660 omnuo om-noo'-o, a prolonged form of a primary, but obsolete omo, for which another prolonged form omoo om-o'-o is used in certain tenses;

to swear, i.e. take (or declare on) oath.

As you can see the definition of this word has nothing to do with "swearing" or "cursing" as we call it in English.

But the meaning of this word has to do with oaths that we might take. For every time we make an oath that might affect our future we substitute our own will for the workings of the Holy Spirit.

CLV Matt 6:34 You should not, then, be worrying about the morrow, for the morrow will be worrying of itself. Sufficient for the day is its own evil.

For those of us who have chosen to use the Scriptures as our guide, Jesus words are very plain. It is man's religion and his interpretations that muddy these waters.

Ever time we say to ourselves "from now on" we are interfering with the working of the Holy Spirit, and essentially bringing to pass this verse...

CLV Matt 12:31 "Therefore I am saying to you, Every sin and blasphemy shall be pardoned men, yet the blasphemy of the spirit shall not be pardoned.

For what is it to vilify the Holy Spirit but to not believe He is active and working, and therefore demoting the importance of His work.

Allow God to work on you and through you daily by not interfering with His work by the Holy Spirit within you.

BigD9832's photo
Thu 01/03/19 10:40 AM

the oldest LYE is SOAP....frustrated rofl slaphead

I doubt that.

BigD9832's photo
Thu 01/03/19 10:38 AM
From msharmony
Pretty much like this:

Revelation 21:8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

to be honest, I dont think about the concept much. For me, it is enough to be an eternity separated from God, someplace I would not want to exist.

A lake of burning sulfur? You think this is "hell"?

The Lake of Fire is mentioned in the Scriptures. As you have not posted what English version you copy this from, I can only guess. At any rate, it seems this version changed the wording somewhat. It should read...

CLV Rev 21:8 Yet the timid, and unbelievers, and the abominable, and murderers, and paramours, and enchanters, and idolaters, and all the false--their part is in the lake burning with fire and sulphur, which is the second death."

Not every reference to fire is about "hell."

But in any version, the word "hell" is not mentioned.

BigD9832's photo
Thu 01/03/19 10:18 AM
From JustBeHonest
I really think this thread is pretty close to being hell.

Interesting.
What part? the part where I use the Scriptures, instead of making up what it says there?

BigD9832's photo
Wed 01/02/19 04:51 PM
From HOUSE
gods Hail hurt when they fall on me I don't know about you I take cover when those kind is around and twisters FORM .as far as hell go ,that word is only from those who proclaim in religion.

Christianity is based on Scripture. And since there is no word for "hell" in the Scriptures it seems your religion has taken a wrong turn.

BigD9832's photo
Fri 12/28/18 07:19 AM
From animal lover
That WAY too much for my religious mind to handle. The first time I studied Romans I remarked to my husband that "this book is REALLY repetitive!"
and it still is, but now it makes sense.

I am not sure who you are talking to,

My point is that there is more to the word "love" from the Bible that most people realize.

But I can see how only a portion of the Scriptures can be bent to a person's will.

2 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20