Community > Posts By > adame1973

no photo
Sun 01/05/14 11:06 AM
It costs a lot of money to house and feed people in correctional facilities. If you keep trying to cut taxes eventually it makes it way down to the state, county, and city levels where they have to start changing their criteria for who they detain so they can stay within their facility budget.

Bush actually signed the prison rape elimination act into law in 2003 I think which put new safeguards in place to try and prevent new victims from being created within our country's prison/workhouse/jail systems. 1 of the 2 things he did right.

no photo
Sun 01/05/14 10:55 AM
There is no evidence anywhere that the death penalty is a deterrent to crime.

I am pro death penalty, but more as it provides closure to victims if that's how they to get it.

60-70% of people that commit crimes are under the influence of drugs or alcohol so their judgement is impaired to start with.

Secondly, career criminals often lack the cognitive abilities to consider the long term consequences of their actions and they either believe that they are not going to get caught or they are just focused on the immediate gratification.

no photo
Sun 01/05/14 10:49 AM
I am a probation officer in Minnesota so I have some knowledge of the nationwide movement that is taking place that has an impact on some of those stats.
Government agencies are now utilizing evidence based practices as far as how they do business on a day to day basis instead of just doing things the same way they always have been done.
In working with juveniles, there is something called the juvenile detention alternatives initiative which really took hold in Chicago as the first major US city, also very significant in the twin cities in MN, and Albuquerque NM. The premise of this initiative is instead of just locking everyone up after they have been arrested is to complete a risk assessment on each person after they arrested looking at factors such as current offense, criminal history, school attendance, history of running away, and family stability just to name a few. Once that assessment is completed they are given a score which then determines whether they need to be detained until court, sent to a more structured shelter until court, or released back to their parents and scheduled with a court date. An unintended consequence of this is that there was not a lot of buy in by police officers and they got tired of arresting people and going through all the new paperwork, only to see the people they arrested back out on the street later that day. In my experience, what they have started doing is turning their backs on smaller crimes and only arresting people for things they know that they will be detained for. There is some speculation as to whether that is going on or not, but I have heard officers admit to it where I am from.

Data suggests that serious crimes are on the decline as well, which I don't understand because there are constant attacks on social welfare programs by tea party politicians which provide the most basic necessities to people. When people can't take care of their family's most basic needs is when you are going to start seeing a spike in crime again.

no photo
Sun 01/05/14 07:51 AM
I remember you by Queens of Dogtown from the soundtrack of season 4 of Californication. Sung by Lenny Kravitz's daughter.

no photo
Sun 01/05/14 07:45 AM
I don't want you back by Eamon