Community > Posts By > Calpernicus

Calpernicus's photo
Sat 02/22/14 05:41 PM
Flux capacitor............for going back to the future

Calpernicus's photo
Sat 02/22/14 05:35 PM
Buddhism developed in India as a nonconforming system outside of Hinduism. Buddhists explicitly rejected the usefulness of the elaborate Vedic rites and refused to accept the caste system as authoritative. Despite these differences, however, Buddhism shares many fundamental beliefs with Hinduism, including the concepts of reincarnation, karma, and entering Nirvana, or absolute liberation.

Nirvana, the state of final liberation from the cycle of birth and death, is held to be beyond definition. Rather, there are steps one must take to gain direct experience of ultimate reality—Nirvana.

The Buddha accepted the principle of reincarnation. He believed that living beings are trapped within the physical cycle of birth and death under the law of karma until complete release is attained. His teaching mission was to enable disciples to attain a clear, deep, direct understanding of the obstacles they faced in their own spiritual lives.

The Buddha laid out the Four Noble Truths, which believers could follow to avoid the obstacles that prevent them from understanding their true nature. These Truths are still the bedrock of the faith two and a half millennia later. The Four Noble Truths are a rarity among the world’s major religions: a set of founding ideas that has never been used as justification for the acts of a warrior class or culture, or for any military exploit. There has never been a military crusade launched in the name of the Buddha, and considering the nature of the Four Noble Truths, it is doubtful that there ever will be.

In the Four Noble Truths, the Buddha taught that:

Life is suffering. The very nature of human existence is inherently painful. Because of the cyclical nature of death and rebirth, death does not bring an end to suffering.
Suffering has a cause: craving and attachment. Suffering is the result of our selfish craving and clinging. This in turn reflects our ignorance of reality.
Craving and attachment can be overcome. When one completely transcends selfish craving, one enters the state of Nirvana, and suffering ceases.
The path toward the cessation of craving and attachment is an Eightfold Path:
Right understanding
Right purpose
Right speech
Right conduct
Right livelihood
Right effort
Right alertness
Right concentration
The Buddha also taught that the abiding self is illusory. Physical form, sensations, perceptions, psychic exertions, even consciousness itself—none yield an unchanging, independent self. And the human tendency to view the self as an independent, controlling entity is not merely a benign delusion, but a significant barrier to spiritual progress.

The notion of “non-self,” emphasized in the teachings of the Buddha, has frequently been misinterpreted. In fact, many Westerners have dismissed Buddhism as “atheistic” or “nihilistic” because of it. Such labels may build barriers to understanding the faith. The limitation probably lies with familiar conceptions of what is and is not “God,” and not with Buddhism.

The Buddha taught that any conception dividing one phenomenon from another—a blade of grass from a meditating woman, for instance, or a meditating woman from her own Buddha-nature—is illusory. Nothing exists independently or eternally.

Nothing is permanent. No form endures forever. No single perceived manifestation fully expresses the supreme reality. The line between “a blade of grass” and “not a blade of grass” is an illusory one, in the end. Although it may be convenient in certain situations for the woman to use the term “blade of grass” to describe what is next to her as she meditates, or the term “enlightenment” or “Buddha-nature” to describe the eventual result of her sustained, disciplined practice, Buddhism reminds us not to take such labels too seriously—even (especially) when that meditation appears to be promising, or incorporates the experience of Samadhi (a higher level of concentrated meditation).

For the Buddhist, developing the right kind of self-discipline offers a pathway out of delusion and toward true awareness. Holding on to what does not actually exist will only lead to suffering.

The same principle of continuity between the meditating woman and the blade of grass is also applied to the God or distinct Supreme Being a non-Buddhist might suppose to be guiding the woman’s meditation. All imagined separateness between perceived entities is, as it were, a hallucination.

It is as a result of this philosophy, and not out of cynicism or any lack of piety, that Buddhists reject the notion of a separate God that is somehow set apart from everyday experience.

With such a doctrine, it is no surprise that Buddha taught that one should not seek divine intervention in this life. The familiar Hindu gods do indeed exist, he taught, but they do not hold dominion over daily human life. Instead they are subject to the same universal laws that human beings must observe.

Buddha’s path focuses on the single-minded pursuit of an individual’s spiritual goals, not on the establishment of new conceptions of the Deity. The emphasis of the religion he founded is on meditation and the observance of important moral precepts, seen as expressions of one’s own actual nature rather than as standards derived from external divine authority.

Both lay and monastic Buddhists commit to the following precepts:

Not to kill.
Not to steal.
Not to act in an unchaste manner.
Not to speak falsely.
Not to take intoxicants.
In addition, monks vow:

Not to eat at times not appointed.
Not to view entertainments deemed as “secular.”
Not to wear perfumes or bodily ornaments.
Not to sleep in beds that are too high or too wide.
Not to accept money.
Many other vows may also accompany the pursuit of a monastic lifestyle.

Calpernicus's photo
Sat 02/22/14 04:56 PM

in Canada we say F with the bull you get the horns

In the U.K we say "**** it's a bulll!! RUUUN"

Calpernicus's photo
Sat 02/22/14 04:27 PM
I seriously never got the attraction tbh, i see the obvious one of 2 is better than one, but to me from a guys perspective, it's hard enough to keep one woman satisfied why double the chance of disappointed ladies hahaha

Calpernicus's photo
Sat 02/22/14 03:12 PM
Well you should seriously ask yourself, if he would be with me while he's married to someone else, what's to say that down the line he won't be happy to be with someone else while he's with you?.

Of course it could be that you do have a super special deep and everlasting love, BUT, occam's razor, when you hear hooves expect horses not zebras.

It's far more likely that this guys a cheating scumbag.

Calpernicus's photo
Sat 02/22/14 02:47 PM
YOur first clue will be, she isn't on a dating site!.

Calpernicus's photo
Sat 02/22/14 02:32 PM
Seriously?.... sigh.

Calpernicus's photo
Sat 02/22/14 02:23 PM
You talk about "threesomes" like something you buy off a shelf, a menage a trois is such a simple yet incredibly complicated thing to try and get vox populi about, that it literally becomes an exercise in futility. The chances of getting wholeheartedly honest answers become very slim when opening a question to public scrutiny.

Maybe you'd be better served asking yourself the same question first, honestly, what do YOU think about threesomes and if you were to have one how do YOU think it would affect YOU.

All that aside, the cynic in me questions why you'd ask such a thing in the introductions part of a dating forum as your opening gambit to the rest of the site.

I tend to think too much though, so ho hum and erm good luck in finding the answers you seek.

Calpernicus's photo
Sat 02/22/14 02:04 PM
Nice to make your's also Zero and thankyou for the kind words too, this seems to be a very nice corner indeed haha

Calpernicus's photo
Sat 02/22/14 01:56 PM
Thank you kindly both for the compliment and the welcome, very much appreciated indeed :)

Calpernicus's photo
Sat 02/22/14 01:44 PM
If you have to ask, you'll never know.....

Calpernicus's photo
Sat 02/22/14 01:34 PM
As I sit here, acclimating to yet another dating site and it's many quirky features, it's hard not to ponder the how's and why's of how this came to be.

Thinking back to the heady days of yore when bustling nightclubs and bars were not only fun but seemingly had an allure of possibility when it came to meeting "interesting" new people. This however, as time goes by, has proven not to be the case, as on many occasion I find the whole debacle wholly tedious, futile and boring.

A small part of me decries the need for companionship, call it pride if you will, but, there's always a slither of self deprecation involved in feeling a need of any sort I find. That anyone should feel a pang of self doubt is completely normal (i tell myself), but, sometimes I do find myself thinking that maybe i search for love because I'm subconsciously trying to "keep up with the jones's" so to speak.

All that said, I'd like to sign off by saying:

Hi, my names Martin, I'm new to the site and I'd very much like to meet new friends and hopefully amidst the crowd that one special person who I can connect with. Well and that special someone who can put up with me.....

Luck, love, peace and happiness to you all.