Community > Posts By > IndieBoarder158

IndieBoarder158's photo
Sat 01/31/09 12:14 PM
Edited by IndieBoarder158 on Sat 01/31/09 12:22 PM

does any intangible concept "exist"

this is a silly question.

It would be silly if we had not discovered that the fabric of spacetime is malleable.

If me and you jumped into a rocket that accelerated to
80% of light speed and traveled in circles around the
earth for 3 years when we came out of the rocket we would
be three years older, but the people on earth would be
much MUCH older, I do not have the exact amount but it
would be 20-50 years older.

Tell me time does not exist except as a mental
construct given that this is true.

This is true btw. It is real, time is a thing, it
REALLY does speed up and slow down relative to two frames
of reference and the difference in velocity between them.

This is science, not science fiction. We have tested this effect extensively.

Perception does not equal reality, you only think it does because that is simpler to understand. Too many people are confusing these two very different things and making theories based on the assumption that they are one and the same.

In your example above, all that would happen is you would spend 3 years going extremely fast around the Earth and nothing more. The Earth would not be 20-50 years older, it would be 3 years older same as you.

Time has no basis in the physical world--it is merely an idea created in ones mind based on the comparison of memories, nothing more. Our minds do this so effortlessly and efficiently we are not consciously aware the comparisons are even occurring.

In your example above, your perception of what is happening would change dramatically. The light that finds your eyes and the images you see would make things appear to slow down, stretch out, and almost come to a standstill. Since we have trained our minds that our perception equals reality, one would assume they are traveling in time.

Perception does not equal reality, you only think it does because this is what has been ingrained in you since childbirth.

This is true btw. It is real, time is a thing, it
REALLY does speed up and slow down relative to two frames
of reference and the difference in velocity between them.

This is true... however, you are missing a key element here.

Your perception of reality speeds up and slows down relative to two frames of reference and the difference in velocity between them. Since time is an idea in your head based on perception, your brain interprets these changes and adjusts the idea you call time.

IndieBoarder158's photo
Fri 01/30/09 09:39 AM
Edited by IndieBoarder158 on Fri 01/30/09 09:46 AM

If all movements stopped, could there be any assessment of time?

Btw I only ask rhetorical questions.

All movement stopped: in other words, absolute zero for the entire universe.

We would be unable to mark clock time as we do because our present means relies on molecular motion.

Of course we would all be dead but that is besides the point.

IndieBoarder158's photo
Fri 01/30/09 05:34 AM
Edited by IndieBoarder158 on Fri 01/30/09 05:36 AM

IndieBoarder158,

So do you agree then, that time without the perception, thought and memory (of an observer) would be unknown and that it does not exist apart from a conscious observer who perceives, thinks and hold memories?

Yes, time exists only in the sense that it is an idea, or piece of information, for a given observer. It is "internal" to the observer and has no bearing on the physical world.

Things exist how they do regardless of being observed or not. If something is not observed there is simply no record of how something changed from one state to the next.

I am reminded of the double-slit experiment which gets into this. I think there is a much simpler, and yet elusive, explanation for the difference in results.

IndieBoarder158's photo
Thu 01/29/09 09:50 PM
Edited by IndieBoarder158 on Thu 01/29/09 09:54 PM
This is definitely and interesting thread going here. So here are my two cents...

Time is an idea and does not actually exist. The concept of time is a perceptual construct created as a result of comparing information from one state to another.

We are able to perceive time like we do because of two factors, memory and the ability to process information. Our memory allows us to recall snapshots of multiple states, or instances, of our existence. Our ability to think allows us to compare multiple snapshots and create ideas such as before, previous, now, after, next, etc.

Without our memories or the ability to process and compare them, we would not be able to make any sense of our existence here. We would have no way to understand what was happening to us.

To add an example of this, imagine walking into a room for the very first time. The room is the way it is and you have no memory of it ever being different. You accept it the way it is.

Time is like constantly walking into a room for the very first time over and over while the contents of the room are being re-arranged. Without memories and the ability to compare them, you would never be able to tell the difference.

While the concept of time may be an idea, it gives us a solid base from which we build our perception of existence in an ordered and meaningful way. The idea of time is so ingrained into our thought process we forget we are even doing it and think of it as something external to ourselves.

IndieBoarder158's photo
Mon 01/26/09 06:20 PM
Oh So Far Away

--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--

A Breeze rustles the leaves,
And squirrels run up the trees.
Water gently splashes the shore,
A ripple moves more.
And here I am,
Oh so far away.

I think back to a time not long ago,
When life was more full.
A friendly face,
And a cheerful voice.
And here I am,
Oh so far away.

As I lay in my bed,
Rain patters above.
What a pleasing sound,
The rain pattering above.
And here I am,
Oh so far away.

I think of the one I love,
The one who loves me.
I remember her face,
And she remembers me.
And here I am,
Oh so far away.

A Breeze rustles the leaves,
I think back to a time not long ago.
As I lay in my bed,
I think of the one I love.
And here I am,
Oh so far away.

IndieBoarder158's photo
Sun 01/25/09 09:41 PM
I think it's possible and a very limited few might be able to actively "cause" someone to think about them.

I do believe we are all connected in some manner or another regardless if we are aware of it or not. I think some people are more attune than others.

IndieBoarder158's photo
Sun 01/25/09 09:30 PM
I prefer to read profiles and find out about people. Definitely age and distance play a factor.

However, regarding photos, I've noticed I need to see something interesting to pique my curiosity. Generally photos that look mean or sad tend not to do that for me. My heart melts with tender eyes and a nice smile.

IndieBoarder158's photo
Sun 01/25/09 09:23 PM
Thought I would share a poem I wrote back in 2001 as I think it fits here. It is not inspired from personal experience by the way.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Hey, It's me (that one guy) [2001]

On the streets I pass everyday,
But you always look the other way.
Day after day I try,
Only for you to go by.

Ignore me forever you may.
Yet I cannot say,
What will be today.

Smiling all the way,
You go about your day,
I'm lost in my own way.

I try to say hello,
Only to here my echo.
My silence you only hear,
Draws my eye a tear.

It is with that I fear,
You will never hear,
All the things I want to say,
Which now will never see the light of day.

Ignore me forever you may,
Yet I cannot say,
What will be today.

Hey, it's me,
The girl you pass every day.

IndieBoarder158's photo
Sun 01/25/09 09:17 PM
I've been told I have pretty eyes.... methinks yes? smile2

IndieBoarder158's photo
Sun 01/25/09 09:08 PM
Thank you all; it's good to be here. :smile:

IndieBoarder158's photo
Sun 01/25/09 12:24 PM
Hey everyone, I just signed up so I'm curious about your thoughts?

Thanks!