Community > Posts By > zpeterz63

zpeterz63's photo
Thu 03/19/09 10:59 PM
It does have to be in both a certain format and resolution. There are guides out there that will tell you how to get a said movie into the correct formatting, as well as multiple freeware programs that will do the conversion for you.

Once you've converted the movie, it should be as easy as dragging it to your iPod in iTunes. I haven't done it in a while, but as I remember it wasn't all that hard.

zpeterz63's photo
Wed 03/18/09 11:27 AM
I <3 irony. If you want to demand that other people have pictures at least put one up yourself.

zpeterz63's photo
Wed 03/11/09 11:20 PM

But, since we're on the linux topic, does anyone have a recommendation for a good server distro? I'm looking mostly for use as a home-based server for my own web development testing, bulk storage, and FTP capabilities for when I'm not at home and need one of those files.

I've heard good things about CentOS and am going to be giving it a try on my own server once I take the time to restore my raid after a failed hard drive.

zpeterz63's photo
Wed 03/11/09 07:38 AM
I saw a few of us in the Vista vs XP thread and I figured that instead on continuing to hijack that thread that I'd just make one for us Linux geeks.

Going back to what I read about complaints about even in Linux tons of system resources going to waste to draw pretty lines and what not. Give XFCE a try. It's more than just standard X, but doesn't go into all the bloat of Gnome and KDE.

And to the person who wanted the ability to customize every last bit of their Linux distro. Check out Gentoo. That is a distro built with that very idea in mind. I was introduced to Linux by a minimalist and the swore by both his distro and his window manager. Of course, they're not going to be for everyone, but if it fits your needs then use it. What's beautiful about Linux is we have these options. We're not tied to one distro or one window manager or one architecture. We have the freedom to choose what works best for us.

I'm fairly lazy when it comes to wanting to customize everything. I ran Gentoo for about 2 years and it was a great experience for me. I learned a lot just in installing the distro. However, it was just too much work for me to try to keep up. The distro works great until something doesn't, and then good luck trying to find out what the problem is. I got fed up with it and took 30 min to install Ubuntu. For what I want it for, it works great. Sure, the kernel has all sorts of crap I don't need. Sure, Gnome is bloated. Sure, it installs libraries and entire programs I'll probably never use. I'll be damned though if it's not easy as hell to use.

zpeterz63's photo
Sun 03/08/09 01:22 PM

hey im just bein cool now

I wish I was cool :(

zpeterz63's photo
Sun 03/08/09 01:20 PM
Om nom nom

zpeterz63's photo
Sun 03/08/09 01:13 PM

tuesday=25 naxx clear wednesday=malygos vault and 2d OS 25. next week we are doing 3d sarth :D

We're FINALLY organizing a guild run of OS (25 man) with a drake up. Should be able to do it without too much work. Hopefully next week we'll do 2 drakes. Guild downed Maly for the first time this week (10 man) though I was not a part of that. I know we're not one of the bleeding edge guilds or anything, but on a server with a very low Ally pop, I feel that we're now in the respectable range.

zpeterz63's photo
Sat 03/07/09 09:29 PM
I like Hulu because it's one of the sites that sees the way television and entertainment is going and is embracing it rather than fighting it. The selection is somewhat limited, but for what is up there, kudos. My flatmate and I use the site all the time as we have a computer hooked up to a nice size TV in the living room. I never worry about missing a show or forgetting to record. I just fire up Hulu and start streaming within seconds.

zpeterz63's photo
Sat 03/07/09 05:11 PM
You're right. There are no cheap consoles these days. It's why I haven't bothered to buy any and just prefer to stick with my computer gaming. :P

However, the 360s games also tend to be about $10 cheaper if I remember correctly (haven't done that much pricing as I don't buy them, so please correct me if I'm wrong). Sure, the 360 may have a lot of things to buy if you want to get it tricked out, but it can still be more price effective than the PS3 if all you're looking to do is just pop in a game and play.

zpeterz63's photo
Sat 03/07/09 04:30 PM
My main complaint with the PS3 is price. I love that you can put Linux on the PS3 and with most things these days being released for all major systems I don't think game selection is really an issue. However, the price tag on the PS3...I just can' justify it.

zpeterz63's photo
Sat 03/07/09 04:23 PM
Heyyyyy, you're 31. What are you doing in the < 30 forum? *sigh*

Anyway, 7

zpeterz63's photo
Sat 03/07/09 03:08 PM

Even I have a hard time installing software on them cause it has to be done from a command prompt.

Most versions of Linux these days that shoot for being user friendly have a GUI interface for software installation. Sure, you can do stuff from the command line, but you don't have to. Linux is as good (sometimes better) than Microsoft when it comes to recognizing Plug and Play devices 90% of the time. Most major Linux distributions come with a wide array of software that you may need preinstalled (Open Office for your office suite, Firefox for surfing the web, Gimp for photo editing, Pidgin for IM, etc..). Not being "user friendly" used to be a valid argument with Linux. Any more though, it's has about the learning curve of a Windows user switching to Macs. Don't believe me? Download a copy of Ubuntu Linux (free) burn it to a CD and boot directly from the disk and try it out for yourself. There is no installation required to try it (ie, it won't erase all your files and put itself on your system in place of whatever you may currently have).

OK, now that I've gone off on my rant...my vote is for XP. My biggest problem with Vista is how much of a resource hog it is. I complained about how many more system resources XP used over Windows 2k. Then, Vista came along added tons and tons more bloat that I'll never use and don't need. I don't need or want a ton of bells and whistles in my OS, at least not unless I explicitly turn them on.

As for what I use personally, on my desktop I have both Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP that I will switch between depending on my current needs. I'd like to use Linux more, but it just doesn't have the support for the games I want to play. Until recently, I used Gentoo Linux on my DHCP/file server, but I have recently decided to give CentOS a try on it. I have Ubuntu Linux installed on my "media center" computer hooked up to the big TV in my living room that I use to watch movies/listen to music/surf funny web pages when friends are over.

zpeterz63's photo
Sat 03/07/09 02:51 PM
Guild did a one night clear of 25 man Naxx last night. It made me happy

zpeterz63's photo
Fri 02/27/09 12:47 PM
...is dead.

zpeterz63's photo
Wed 02/25/09 11:08 AM
Took a look at OP's (original poster's) profile and found it a bit bare. spock lol

zpeterz63's photo
Wed 02/25/09 09:17 AM
PTR is out. Only a month or so now until new content. woot1!

On the not so cool side...unless the change things, it doesn't look like my PvE mace build is going to become viable *sigh* (I'm a rogue)

zpeterz63's photo
Tue 02/24/09 01:40 PM
I just woke up from a relaxing nap that I took after getting off work early. Kinda hard to talk on the forums when you're asleep =P

zpeterz63's photo
Tue 02/24/09 01:38 PM
In finding love, I don't think so.

In order to feasibly act on said love in such a way to yield a lasting and fulfilling romantic relationship, yes.

This is also a case by case basis. Some people are able to handle not seeing their significant other in person on a regular basis. I am not one of those people.

zpeterz63's photo
Sun 02/22/09 09:17 AM
I've had a couple of people mention CentOS to me. My problem with Ubuntu is that it installs a bunch of crap I don't need and don't want to take the time to get off and there is no way to turn off in the installation process. I'm not sure of the state of Mandrake/Mandriva at this time, but I might look into it. I remember being able to actually select what packages I wanted on install.

zpeterz63's photo
Sun 02/22/09 01:47 AM

Screw all that microbrew stuff. I drink Guinness. Guin-NESS. Everything else is just funny-colored water. laugh

*sigh* If Guinness is the darkest beer you've had then I feel quite sorry for you. Try to get a hold of the Goose Island bourbon barrel stout. Guinness may be a meal in a can, but compared to some of the stuff out there it might as well be a TV dinner.

Previous 1