Community > Posts By > DavidCommaGeek

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Thu 08/06/15 08:32 AM
I knew a boy diagnosed with ADHD in the Boy Scouts when I was a kid.
Forget the handcuffs - I wished I had one of those full-restraint chairs complete with the metal hard-hat to hold the head in place.
While he wasn't exactly a "danger", he was annoying as all-get-out and kept breaking stuff or losing stuff. We had to deal with his disorder in a "politely ignore it" way, because he was a fellow Scout, but I can easily understand the frustration a police officer would feel when he wouldn't be allowed to perform any more serious restraint. Imagine what the officer could've done if an adult was acting that way - it would probably be construed as resisting arrest, public disturbance, or even assaulting an officer.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Thu 08/06/15 08:25 AM
If you're going to commit suicide, you should have the guts to do it yourself. Asking someone else to help you kill yourself is just... rude. And in the most technical sense of the word, you're asking someone to murder you. (Beyond any legal definition, you are asking someone else to perform an action which will immediately result in your death.)

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Mon 07/27/15 04:45 PM

lol. Please find me a guy who doesn't have sex on his mind every minute of the day :)

HEY!

Sometimes we think about sports!
And food!

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Mon 07/27/15 04:36 PM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Mon 07/27/15 04:37 PM
For what it's worth, that "reset password on Steam" thing has bugged me in the past, too. You have my sympathies.

Playing an MMO on a console is your own dang fault, though.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sun 07/26/15 06:49 PM

Vampirephobics.

Yeah... these ones really put a damper on MY dating life...

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 07/25/15 04:01 PM
A half-human alien sent to Earth to protect us?
And he doesn't even bring his own weapons?
Kind of a cheap alien, methinks.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Wed 07/22/15 07:14 PM
Those who live in glass houses.. buried in the sides of cliffs... should not throw stones - for fear of causing an avalanche!

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sun 07/19/15 05:29 PM
I'm prepared to give the "have-not" people credit for having the courage and pluck to send messages to the "haves" - especially seeing as I'm likely a "have-not". If you don't at least try, you're never going to get anywhere.

As far as receiving messages from people whom I would judge to be less attractive than myself (or at least the standards I have for myself)... I don't see what's wrong with being friendly. We're likely to have several things in common, otherwise they probably wouldn't try. You'd just have to make things clear enough early on that they don't start getting the wrong idea and telling everybody that you're their boyfriend/girlfriend.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sun 07/12/15 11:33 AM
I am reasonably confident that a lot of actors and other celebrity types don't have affairs or commit infidelity because they like/lust/love someone outside their committed relationship/marriage... rather, they do it for the publicity and ratings. To keep themselves in the public eye between movies or when the news dares to turn their eye to something else (like the economy or world affairs). There is no other real reason why something this legal and this personal/private/"in the family" should be publicized as much as it is - a celebrity could easily afford a lawyer good enough to keep things quiet, if they wanted to.

The premise of acting is that you can make something seem real when you don't really feel that way. If you are actually attracted to your on-screen partner, or really like or love them, then it's not acting to portray that. The flip side of acting is that you have to be able to have a high level of self-control to portray these things, and only look like you're letting go when you're really in control and know everything that's going on.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sun 07/12/15 11:25 AM
I am with IYamWhoIYam - it's not the selfie that's getting these people killed, it's their choice to do something stupid in the first place. Seems like a serious waste of a government-sponsored campaign and brochure. There are surely better things they could be promoting public awareness about.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Wed 07/08/15 02:18 PM
The distinction I draw between math & the sciences, and the humanities is that the first field is generally linear: you plug certain numbers into an equation in the proper order, and you get a definite result somewhere down the line (this is as true for the Scientific Method, which gives you steps and procedures to follow in order to achieve reproducible results). If you plug in all the right numbers, you get the same result every time.

The humanities, on the other hand, are non-linear. There generally is not a single "right" answer beyond certain recorded facts that you might need to know. Fields like history, English/language arts, and rhetoric are the fields that give you the room to argue - whereas in math and science, the only arguments come about when someone accuses someone else of not following a step correctly - the results are supposed to speak for themselves. In the humanities, even if you plugged in all the right "numbers", and technically got the same result, the interpretation of that result can still vary widely.

Some people are better at the linear thinking, others at the non-linear, and to different degrees. (I can sit down and do math, but I can't do anything more advanced than nice round percentages in my head. On the other hand, I can write paragraphs of fiction in my head at the drop of a hat, but I'm still good at "eye-balling" the trajectories of thrown objects given constant forces.)

As a couple previous posters have mentioned, the real trick is to be dedicated to your field of study, and you will eventually succeed. A lot of people decide early on that a given field is "too hard" for them, and they give up on it before they learn the mental tools they need to keep learning in that given field - i.e., "how to think", instead of just "what to think".

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Wed 07/08/15 02:04 PM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Wed 07/08/15 02:05 PM
While I find that the Minqle Squared forums need more geeky references, overall they are a source of amusement and, dare I say it, even intellectually challenging topics (especially those ones which pose a moral or ethical question in the realm of politics and society) - though I have noticed as I've gone along a certain tendency to match the intellectual topics with other topics of a less... distinguished nature, so I would warn any person new to the forums about checking out new threads carefully; you will soon discover which post boards and posters you like and dislike, those who range everywhere from "geeky" (which is obviously best) to "downright hostile" (which thankfully are rare); though on the note of hostile posters, you should never, ever challenge an English major to type something in a single sentence, for we know how to use semi-colons!

:tongue: :tongue:

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sun 07/05/15 05:02 PM
Would we ever have achieved or kept that independence if we didn't have soldiers fighting for it, then and now? A Declaration is one thing - risking your life to uphold that Declaration is something else.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sun 07/05/15 09:18 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Sun 07/05/15 09:18 AM
Even with a new digital agency to monitor what would otherwise be private (or at least restricted) communications (*cough*), I don't see how they could possibly realistically enforce this law.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sun 07/05/15 09:01 AM
breastfeeding for "lower insurance premiums" !!!

I can totally see this sign showing up at a public rally hosted by members of Mingle Squared in favor of mothers who breastfeed in public.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sun 07/05/15 08:58 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Sun 07/05/15 08:58 AM
A bit surprised that a thread like this hasn't been made yet - or maybe it has, and it just got lost in the shuffle. Deserves a bump either way.

Point being, the celebration of the 4th of July in the United States is about more than fireworks and barbeques. It is about remembering those who sacrificed for their freedom, and those who gave their lives defending it.

So today, this weekend, this month, this year, let us stop to remember every soldier who has sacrificed, suffered, and died in defense of the principles of freedom, democracy, and self-determination. Let us honor those who have done their duty to their country and the principles upon which those countries stand: Honor. Duty. Loyalty. Service. Freedom.

We salute and thank you all.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sun 07/05/15 08:49 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Sun 07/05/15 08:50 AM
I once read that alcohol mainly intensifies the mood you are already in, and this has made the most sense to me. If you drink when you are sad, you get downright melancholy. If you drink "angry", you start lashing out at the people around you. If you drink when you're happy, then you get very friendly and loud. In some cases, the problem may not be the alcohol, but the general mood or outlook of the person drinking it.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sun 07/05/15 08:42 AM
Edited by DavidCommaGeek on Sun 07/05/15 08:46 AM

Human milk provides the perfect balance of protein, sugar and fat babies need to be healthy... Healthy babies mean healthy adults and healthy adults mean lower medical and hospital expense which translates into lower insurance premiums for all of us...Healthy babies means less chance of your formula fed baby and YOU being exposed to nasty old germs when you do have to share "public" space with something so disgusting as a mother nurturing her child...

This doesn't make a case for breastfeeding in public. In fact, it doesn't even make a case for breastfeeding itself. It merely makes a case for feeding human babies human milk. Pansytilly has already mentioned they have ways to tap mother's milk for later bottling - and there are still such things as wet nurses, who either breastfeed the baby directly, or provide human milk to mothers who can't or won't breastfeed their baby themselves.

None of the health benefits are gained because the baby was breast-fed in public. These health benefits are gained because the baby is fed (organically-farmed?) human milk. I have not yet met the baby who really cares how or where they are fed, merely that they are fed. They'll gladly suck on a bottle as well as a teat. Are not baby-bottle caps and pacifiers exactly designed to mimic the human nipple?

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 07/04/15 06:06 PM
I am concerned about California. We're trapped by fire and water - it's summer, and we're in state-wide drought conditions, and everything is dry and ignitable. The most rain I've gotten in the past couple months was a lightning storm at about 3:30 in the morning a few days ago, where it sprinkled for about 30 seconds. Things only get worse as you go up into the hills, where many fires start.

DavidCommaGeek's photo
Sat 07/04/15 05:53 PM

There was a time when everyone in power thought we could dump anything and everything into the nearest river, and wait while it washed away to who-knows where.

PAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
I laugh because I can totally see some of our modern environmentally-conscious people protesting the Boston Tea Party because of the potential damage a shipload of dissolved tea could do to Boston Harbor...

1 3 5 6 7 8 9 24 25