Community > Posts By > KerryO

KerryO's photo
Sun 07/31/11 01:23 PM

the APA and DSM say its not a choice?

interesting,, never read that before,,

except when it was still considered an 'illness',,(illnesses arent usually thought of as a choice)

Yes, the APA says it's not a choice. A quote from their website:

Is sexual orientation a choice?

No, human beings cannot choose to be either gay or straight. For most people, sexual orientation emerges in early adolescence without any prior sexual experience. Although we can choose whether to act on our feelings, psychologists do not consider sexual orientation to be a conscious choice that can be voluntarily changed.

Read it here:

http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/sexual-orientation.aspx

You often defend the religious viewpoint of issues here, and part and parcel to that viewpoint is that it HAS to be a choice because morality is based upon choice. Take 'choice' out the equation, and you... don't have an equation.

I think you also well know that when it was considered an illness, relgious people used that pronouncement to institutionalize people.

Either way, many religious people have never given up trying to 'cure' homosexuals, to get them to 'choose' heterosexuality or if that doesn't work, complete abstinence.

One need only look at how badly projects like 'Exodus' have failed to see that it just doesn't work well.

I mean really, would YOU yourself want to take a chance on marrying a man who had a past of being openly gay? If religion is the cure, why did a certain pastor stray from his wife?

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sat 07/30/11 06:05 PM

Well, yea. He chose to be gay so thats what he was into I guess.

C'mon, you can't seriously believe this, knowing that some gay teenagers commit suicide because they give up with trying to handle the bigotry they face every day.

That's like making the generalization that all straight males are wired for rape, but most choose every day not to. In logical terms, it's called 'begging the question', or assuming the very point under examination has already been decided and the questions being asked are only to satisfy the bias of the questioner, NOT to get at the ultimate truth.

-Kerry O.

It is a choice, plain and simple. I support their right to CHOOSE who they want to be with as long as they are consenting adults.

It may be a choice in some cases, but the APA and its DSM IV say otherwise when it comes to making generalizations. So, I'll guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and just say it shouldn't be anyone bidness as long as it's between adults with informed consent.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sat 07/30/11 08:13 AM

good thing the slogan wasn't on her shorts!

drinker

We can fix that oversight. Call in the TSA and have everyone walk through one of their scanners before they are admitted.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sat 07/30/11 07:09 AM

The F-35 is over priced. Also its capabilities come with trade offs like weapons capacity. It is also what is known as a Penetration Aircraft like the Wild Weasels of the Vietnam War. It is not the All Purpose Fighter is it purported to being. It is not an Air Superiority aircraft like an F-15. Our military has some confusing ideas about the planes we deploy. In a hell hole like Afghanistan an AC-130 and A-10 warthogs are perfect. We need the military to bless the A-10 II! Build it with modern engines and avionics and make it all weather and all conditions!

Yeah, I was about to purchase one but considering the price and the options, i thought, what a piece of junk.

Yeah, me too! I was going to finance it with I.O.U.'s drawn against my future SSI checks. The House Tea Partiers gave the go ahead despite Cut, Cap and Balance, but at the last minute, I got cold feet and settled for a used A-10 instead, trading in my old AC-47 Spooky. I'll sure miss Puff the Magic Dragon.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Fri 07/29/11 11:17 PM

so now , letting kids be 'kids' is some religious ploy of recruitment?

come on now,, can people really find a way to blame RELIGION , everytime they are asked to refrain from doing whatever the heck they feel like?

And religious groups aren't the loudest when it comes to opposing gay marriage? Indeed, ANY thing having to do with homosexuality?

There are a LOT of people in this country who are in monogamous gay relationships with 'life partners'. They are happy, well-adjusted people who are productive members of society and contribute to their communities. Yet, time again, it's the RELIGIOUS people who try to change them and prevent them from being happy in the only type of relationship they find fulfilling.

Yet, time and time again, it's RELIGIOUS people who throw Leviticus at them, completely ignoring all the positive things that gay people have contributed to society.

Levite code also prohibits charging interest on some debts, but do those same RELIGIOUS people call credit card companies 'abominations' for charging usury rates LEGALLY?

Beam. Out. Own. Eye.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Fri 07/29/11 11:02 PM
Edited by KerryO on Fri 07/29/11 11:03 PM

Well, yea. He chose to be gay so thats what he was into I guess.

C'mon, you can't seriously believe this, knowing that some gay teenagers commit suicide because they give up with trying to handle the bigotry they face every day.

That's like making the generalization that all straight males are wired for rape, but most choose every day not to. In logical terms, it's called 'begging the question', or assuming the very point under examination has already been decided and the questions being asked are only to satisfy the bias of the questioner, NOT to get at the ultimate truth.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Fri 07/29/11 03:21 PM

who here really thinks that a shirt that says, "marriage is so gay" is offensive enough to hide our children from it?

That's it? That's all the shirt said?

Jeeeeeez, you hear that something is 'so gay' saying ALL the time from kids as young as 10 in schools.

And you can just bet they didn't learn it from a T-shirt. Meanwhile, the people who make tabloid journalism are hacking the cell phone voice mail of crime victims....

-Kerry O.

Ummmmmm, you know in most plces of employment if you use the word gay at all you will get written up, suspended or even fired.

Statistics, please? I have not found that to be the case and have NEVER seen that in an employee handbook. If it's not a written policy, if can't be enforced.

-Kerry O.

Ummmmmm, I had to do the initial interviews for Human Resources for my former job since I was the only Wicklander trianed interviewer in our region. In the grocery business we have a LOT of people in the Alternative Lifestyles and who are disabled. If someone overheard someone else using the word gay, homo or retard or other words like that and complained(which they usually did) I would be talking to everyone involved on their next shift and submitting my report to HR to determine if they would be coming up from the Bay Area(California about 4 hours away non traffic) to investigate the situation further or just issue dis. action based on my interviews and statements I collected.

It's a mess. I spent A LOT of time on that BS.

I am sometimes called upon to interview people, too, and was handed a 10 page guide to read, initial and abide by. The word 'gay' wasn't on our particular guideline, so I guess your mileage in CA. may vary from mine in PA.

Everyone in the company, however, IS required to watch a film about sexual harrassment. One of the scenes in that film is about a gay man 'giving too much information' about his weekend activities. I agree with the premise in the film, that such recountings crossed the line, and that someone's sexual orientation had nothing to do with it.

It is a reasonable guideline, while the events that transpired in Dollywood, IMHO, weren't. Again, YMMV.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Fri 07/29/11 03:45 AM

THis is not a big deal but they want to make it a big deal and this is why a lot of people oppose gay marrige, because they want to force their crap down everyones throat and when it's not accepted they cause a scene, throw a fit or sue someone.

Do you also not support the Mormons, who REGULARLY 'cram' things down peoples' throats by showing up on private property preaching their version of the Almighty Word of God? Their 'missionaries' regularly show up on peoples' front doorsteps ignoring signs like 'No Solicitations' et cetera. When called on it, they assert 'We're just expressing our free speech rights' and the signs don't apply to them.

The Fundies are even worse-- they'll can get really testy when you tell them you're a non-believer and why, often trying to start nasty arguments with you until told to leave peaceably.

Would you consider THAT as 'throwing a fit'? How about them having children along with them while they do so? Would that qualify, in your opinion, as 'causing a scene'?

And if one were to swear out a complaint about their disorderly conduct and/or trespassing on PRIVATE PROPERTY, how seriously would that be taken?
How long would it be before the person swearing out the complaint be facing reprisals, legal or otherwise?

-Kerry O.

I think it would be your legal right to accept or not accept whomever you wish on your property

just like it is the parks right to enforce certain dress codes in a family entertainment environment,,,

We both know the protection of the legal rights of minorities always falls behind that of the wishes of the majority, and sometimes it's just not worth the hassle of making a federal case of the lapses.

Sometimes, all one can do is point out the contradictions and hypocrisy of the Big Mouths. In this instance, the Fundies and their Great Commission, which they claim compels them to endlessly recruit, even as the complain vociferously about imagined instances of the same by groups they don't like. To them, everything belongs to their god and they think that ultimately gives them the moral, if not legal, right, to do as they please without repercussions.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Fri 07/29/11 03:15 AM

who here really thinks that a shirt that says, "marriage is so gay" is offensive enough to hide our children from it?

Jeeeeeez, you hear that something is 'so gay' saying ALL the time from kids as young as 10 in schools.

And you can just bet they didn't learn it from a T-shirt. Meanwhile, the people who make tabloid journalism are hacking the cell phone voice mail of crime victims....

-Kerry O.

Ummmmmm, you know in most plces of employment if you use the word gay at all you will get written up, suspended or even fired.

Statistics, please? I have not found that to be the case and have NEVER seen that in an employee handbook. If it's not a written policy, if can't be enforced.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Fri 07/29/11 03:10 AM

THis is not a big deal but they want to make it a big deal and this is why a lot of people oppose gay marrige, because they want to force their crap down everyones throat and when it's not accepted they cause a scene, throw a fit or sue someone.

Do you also not support the Mormons, who REGULARLY 'cram' things down peoples' throats by showing up on private property preaching their version of the Almighty Word of God? Their 'missionaries' regularly show up on peoples' front doorsteps ignoring signs like 'No Solicitations' et cetera. When called on it, they assert 'We're just expressing our free speech rights' and the signs don't apply to them.

The Fundies are even worse-- they'll can get really testy when you tell them you're a non-believer and why, often trying to start nasty arguments with you until told to leave peaceably.

Would you consider THAT as 'throwing a fit'? How about them having children along with them while they do so? Would that qualify, in your opinion, as 'causing a scene'?

And if one were to swear out a complaint about their disorderly conduct and/or trespassing on PRIVATE PROPERTY, how seriously would that be taken?
How long would it be before the person swearing out the complaint be facing reprisals, legal or otherwise?

-Kerry O.

Actually I don't. I verbally tresspass(Tell them they will be arrested for tresspassing if they come back) them when they come to my door.

So, you DO agree they are 'cramming', right? Otherwise, you wouldn't feel the need to admonish them. That was my point.

Actually, I've found it usually best to leave well enough alone, because you never know how zealous they are-- they might send their spawn around to do vandalize your property or harass your children at school. Just ask people who are very zealous and vocal about being unbelievers.

That's the problem with the self-righteous-- they are often anything but.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Thu 07/28/11 07:44 PM

When you meet someone, what makes you ask them on a date? Based on past experiences, what are some things that caught your interest enough to ask someone out?

She would have to demonstrate both intellectual AND emotional intelligence. And that's not something than can be determined quickly.

I would insist on a 'Friends first' relationship before I got into a serious long-term relationship, but have found that that's not a recipe for success in the online dating world. Still, I'm not going to change-- I don't have to, I can find ways to fill my life with interesting pursuits without having romance if necessary.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Thu 07/28/11 07:30 PM

They are all to blame but mark my words the Republicans are going to
bear the brunt of it just like in '95-'96!

They used the debt ceiling as budget leverage and boy are people
hacked off!

They have pretty much guaranteed Obama a win in 2012 and the turn from Repub to Dem will happen again in Congress.

I think that is very likely now, Yes.
Remarkably stupid politically. Astounding even.

Of course Obama was a near lock before this as they have failed to
find a single attractive candidate and the Teapartiers have torn
the base in half. But yep this latest self-wounding is the coup de
grace. Now we have headlines like:

Small debt deal will rattle markets

Debt fiasco risks double-dip recession

and

Debt ceiling: Will I get my Social Security check?

Stock Markets Tremble As Debt Ceiling Debate Rages In Washington

People ask "Why is this happening?" And they find the most plausible
answer to be "Because the Republicans forced a link between the
debt ceiling and their budget demands and turned down the Obama
offer of multi-trillion tax cuts and spending curbs..."

WOW. The GOP had already won the main battle. Yet they just couldn't resist...And just why couldn't the GOP leadership have foreseen this?

laugh

I mean like OMG this is not exactly a surprising revelation!!

laugh

They can't help it-- they are like the story of the Frog and the Scorpion.

Frog: Why did you sting me? Now we'll both drown!
Scorpion: I couldn't help it. It's in my nature.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Thu 07/28/11 07:23 PM

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our governments reckless fiscal policies."
Barack Obama, March 2006

But just a few years earlier....

Former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill was told "deficits don't matter" when he warned of a looming fiscal crisis.

O'Neill, fired in a shakeup of Bush's economic team in December 2002, raised objections to a new round of tax cuts and said the president balked at his more aggressive plan to combat corporate crime after a string of accounting scandals because of opposition from "the corporate crowd," a key constituency.

O'Neill said he tried to warn Vice President Dick Cheney that growing budget deficits-expected to top $500 billion this fiscal year alone-posed a threat to the economy. Cheney cut him off. "You know, Paul, Reagan proved deficits don't matter," he said, according to excerpts. Cheney continued: "We won the midterms (congressional elections). This is our due." A month later, Cheney told the Treasury secretary he was fired.

The vice president's office had no immediate comment, but John Snow, who replaced O'Neill, insisted that deficits "do matter" to the administration.
Source: [X-ref O'Neill] Adam Entous, Reuters, on AOL News Jan 11, 2004

I also don't recall hearing complaints from the Republicans in most political forums when Bush/Cheney doubled the national debt by adding 5 trillion in their time in office. Back in the old days of the Internet, I don't recall hearing much complaining either about Regan raising the national debt by a factor of 3 from 900 billion to 2.7 trillion, either.

And trickle-down economics still don't work, no matter how much you cut taxes on the top 1%--- they still won't hire more people or pay better wages by their own volitions. It this economy is ever to get going again, it will only happen when the average Joe gets a better deal, NOT a con job from political ideologues.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Thu 07/28/11 06:59 PM

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Thu 07/28/11 04:41 AM

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 07/26/11 03:45 PM

Oh I'm sure their methods work against them all the time.

Some people live by the sword, and they will die by the sword.

I know a person who was in the marines and was given the opportunity to become a member of a secret group whose purpose was simply to assassinate "bad" people. So I am well aware that this stuff goes on all the time. (I advised him against it.)

The problem I have with it is if the government becomes "the bad guys" then what? Do they just start killing anyone who gets in their way?

Another problem I have with it is if you are going to do it, it is really bad taste to brag about it to the entire world.

Okay, time for the long pants. Let's say you're the President and you have multiple intelligence reports that cross-confirm each other that an Osama-bin-laden-like character is very close to finishing a nuke made from plutonium they stole/bought.

Do you:

a) alert Interpol that a really bad man in the no-man's land of Afghanistan is about to do something really terrible

b) have the United Nations vote to sanction him and his organization

c) wait until he nukes an American city and attempt to have him tried for war crimes, or

d) decapitate the snake by sending in Seal Team 6 to terminate them with extreme prejudice?

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 07/26/11 06:26 AM

Atheism is silly and an impossible argument. You can't prove
there is no God - no one can so it is a pointless fantasy.

Still don't get it.

slaphead

Think a little bit more about it and you will figure it out.
Try to prove that there is no God. It will come to you.

laugh

lim f(x)
x-->a

And though you can't compute the EXACT area under a curve, one CAN do so with enough precision to satisfy any inquiry in the real world.

Saying you can't prove there is no God is like saying you can't determine the slope of a vertical line-- in the end, it doesn't really matter because both are undefinable..

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 07/26/11 05:54 AM

No, the hell he would have had to pay would not have been with the voters.

The puppet has a master. The master owns him, owns the world, puts presidents and dictators in office, starts wars etc. If you want to know who runs the world, follow the money dear....

And to where would that money trail lead? Names? A guy with a monocle and white cat on his lap?

Inquiring minds want to know...

-Kerry O.

There is a list of the wealthiest people in the world. They all have names....

There is also a lot of wealth, gold and money that has disappeared off the face of any records.... there are non entity entities. Like "The Crown."

There are people who are literally above the law. They make the law, they start the wars.

Do your research if you are interested.

Yeah, I'm aware of the legality of the 'corporation sole' entity. Big deal.

If you were to think your dread of people who exist 'above the law' through to its logical conclusion, you'd see that IF they are as the evil James Bond villains you claim them to be, then ONLY the James Bond "Licence to Kill" methods you so abhor would work against them.

That's the trouble with your brand of elephant hunting-- you have to carry the decoys.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Mon 07/25/11 04:50 PM

No, the hell he would have had to pay would not have been with the voters.

The puppet has a master. The master owns him, owns the world, puts presidents and dictators in office, starts wars etc. If you want to know who runs the world, follow the money dear....

And to where would that money trail lead? Names? A guy with a monocle and white cat on his lap?

Inquiring minds want to know...

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Mon 07/25/11 11:37 AM

volant7 wrote:

third GOD can destroy you like no other so please worship him and only him.

Oh, so some egotistical bastard is going to be upset if he he isn't worshiped and this is a reason to worship him?

whoa

Some "God" that is. I think the guy next door that beats his wife gave her a similar ultimatum.

So you're saying that your God is just as sick as the most demented mortal humans on Earth? ill

what im saying is that you are less than an ant at GODs foot

Humans are less than an ant at God's foot and that's supposed to give our lives "meaning"?

To be perfectly honest with you I think life would be far more meaningful if we had just evolved from slime. laugh

Being less than an ant under some God's foot is hardly a meaningful existence if you ask me.

The one constant in religious bigotry is always the presence of implied violence. Hardly the recipe for a meaningful existence, either-- going around proclaiming that "My God could destroy you like an insect."

Just another reason I sorely doubt the existence of a god tied with religions-- there's no humanity to them unless its in the form of bribery to wrangle favors from him/her/it.

-Kerry O.

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 10 11 12 24 25