Community > Posts By > KerryO

KerryO's photo
Sun 01/08/12 05:40 PM

This is interesting, but why haven't I heard about this on the nightly news?

Do you still think someone is NOT controlling the media?

I mean, this IS BIG NEWS.

WHERE IS IT?

Go to the website of the group in question. What you'll find is an obvious scheme to separate rightwing fanatics from their money. The bottom of the petition contains a clause asking for money directly.

Time and again the Birther movement has lost cases in their 'holy cause' and some have even been sited for abuse of process ( i.e. wasting the time of the court with frivolous claims supported by baseless allegations they have yet to prove), and some part of that money is probably to innoculate the fanatics from having to reach in their own pockets to pony up for obstructing justice and making a mockery of the political process.

The rest probably goes for paychecks or into the pockets of the people who own the scheme.

-Kerry O.

-

KerryO's photo
Sat 01/07/12 02:31 PM
Santorum lost by the largest margin EVER for an incumbent Federal Senator here in Pennsylvania. It was often said during the race that Santorum 'was his own worst enemy' by being a hypocrite and sticking his foot in his extremist mouth with regularity. He tried to ride GWB's coattails with extremely bad timing on the issue of privitizing Social Security.

One of the most telling scenes in that campaign was when the Casey campaign bought ads showing footage of a Santorum rally attended mostly by the Santorum Faithful, in which they chanted "Hee Hee, Hee-- Ho ho ho~ Social Security's got to go!" This firmly affixed his political hand to The Third Rail that burned out his campaign.

I think it's pretty funny that he's NOW claiming that he wants to be the hero that saves SS.

I suspect this year's candidacy is just a practice run for 2016.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 12/27/11 03:53 PM

Now he's wondering just how much of that displeasure from Washington is being generated by the perceived White House alarm over his Cold Case Posse investigation checking out suspicions raised by area tea-party officials that Barack Obama may use or try to use fraudulent documents to be on the 2012 presidential ballot in Arizona.

If he's so sure about this, why isn't he using Maricopa Co. taxpayer funds to investigate this 'fraud' on his home turf? Why aren't these unnamed Tea Party officials getting their OWN _private_ investigators?

And since when does a 'news' agency solicit funds for a public law enforcement officer who lacks jurisdiction in the case to pursue another duly elected public official for what amounts to a publicity stunt meant to enhance the political fortunes of Shurf Joe and WND?

The Birthers have been consistently shot down in their 'tilting at windmills' efforts to 'expose' what isn't there. One of the biggest Birthers has even been held in contempt of court for tying up the public's justice system with these complete fabrications. Why is Shurf Joe's jihad any different and why are his 'investigators' not going after real criminals?

Then too, you have Shurf Joe appearing in Republican primary campaign stops like Iowa with Rick Perry, and, before he dropped out of the race, Herman Cain. No coincidence there, huh? 'Say it ain't so, Joe!'

I wonder if he knows that Perry supported the Dream Act? But hey, no use letting details get in the way when it's time to hobnob with the luminaries?

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Mon 12/26/11 05:56 AM

Rand hated libertarians. She called them (incorrectly) the "hippies of the right". Some objectivists fancy themselves "libertarian", but Rand's Objectivism is not libertarian. Modern Objectivist rags like "Reason" constantly insult and misrepresent libertarians.

You're right that modern American Economics isn't rational. That's because it's fascist, not capitalist. Any semblance to capitalism was destroyed by the abandonment of a gold standard in favor of fiat money. (it was Tricky Dick Nixon who closed the "gold window", btw)

"Atlas" is an okay novel (and Rothbard liked it) but it is not libertarian. There's a great satirical play about Rand by Murray Rothbard called "Mozart Was A Red". You'd like it. drinker Check it out on Youtube.

Thanks for the ref on 'Mozart was a Red'-- I don't have the bandwidth here to do the video, but I Googled it and looks interesting. I'll put it on what I call my 'curiosity to do' list.

I'm not surprised to hear that 'Reason' insults and mischaracterizes Libertarians. I used to have a friend who idolized Rand and he subscribed to the Ayn Rand Letter. The more I read them, even at that young age, the more it made me see that Rand and Randians who espoused Objectivism were a little too bohemian to exist en masse as a cohesive force for beneficial change here in the real world.

I'm also not surprised that the Tea Pary movement embraces a lot of Rand's teachings. Like Rand, they're too Alpha & Omega, thinking they can jump from start to finish without any pain and/or effort. To them, taxes are theft, not investment and that's the conceit that does in their best laid plans.

Never have I heard of any of these groups espousing something called Lean Enterprise as a model for government. Lean Enterprise is what helped make the Asian Tigers the economic powerhouse they became. Maybe it's because there a little bit too much collectivism built into that model and there's a Pavlovian element to their reaction to anything that isn't 110% individualistic.

Then there are also the Six Sigma principles, and I don't see people like Ron Paul making use of these and other powerful analytical tools.

Some academics have forwarded the notion that enterprises like Toyota came to be cutting edge players by building a culture that bore more resemblance to a living, highly adaptive living organism that learned rather than a monolythic engine that burned raw materials and sped around a circular track.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Mon 12/26/11 05:56 AM

Rand hated libertarians. She called them (incorrectly) the "hippies of the right". Some objectivists fancy themselves "libertarian", but Rand's Objectivism is not libertarian. Modern Objectivist rags like "Reason" constantly insult and misrepresent libertarians.

You're right that modern American Economics isn't rational. That's because it's fascist, not capitalist. Any semblance to capitalism was destroyed by the abandonment of a gold standard in favor of fiat money. (it was Tricky Dick Nixon who closed the "gold window", btw)

"Atlas" is an okay novel (and Rothbard liked it) but it is not libertarian. There's a great satirical play about Rand by Murray Rothbard called "Mozart Was A Red". You'd like it. drinker Check it out on Youtube.

Thanks for the ref on 'Mozart was a Red'-- I don't have the bandwidth here to do the video, but I Googled it and looks interesting. I'll put it on what I call my 'curiosity to do' list.

I'm not surprised to hear that 'Reason' insults and mischaracterizes Libertarians. I used to have a friend who idolized Rand and he subscribed to the Ayn Rand Letter. The more I read them, even at that young age, the more it made me see that Rand and Randians who espoused Objectivism were a little too bohemian to exist en masse as a cohesive force for beneficial change here in the real world.

I'm also not surprised that the Tea Pary movement embraces a lot of Rand's teachings. Like Rand, they're too Alpha & Omega, thinking they can jump from start to finish without any pain and/or effort. To them, taxes are theft, not investment and that's the conceit that does in their best laid plans.

Never have I heard of any of these groups espousing something called Lean Enterprise as a model for government. Lean Enterprise is what helped make the Asian Tigers the economic powerhouse they became. Maybe it's because there a little bit too much collectivism built into that model and there's a Pavlovian element to their reaction to anything that isn't 110% individualistic.

Then there are also the Six Sigma principles, and I don't see people like Ron Paul making use of these and other powerful analytical tools.

Some academics have forwarded the notion that enterprises like Toyota came to be cutting edge players by building a culture that bore more resemblance to a living, highly adaptive living organism that learned rather than a monolythic engine that burned raw materials and sped around a circular track.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sun 12/25/11 12:28 PM
Edited by KerryO on Sun 12/25/11 12:31 PM

Where do you find the authority for government regulation of business in the Constitution? (the closest you'll find is the interstate commerce clause) If you've ever read Ron's economic works, he's thoroughly opposed to the big banksters and opposed the bank bailouts. The RAM plan is not 'pie in the sky'-it is restoring Constitutional limits on the regime that have been thoroughly eroded by fascists for 100+ years.

You know as well as I do that fascism is inherently big-business-friendly, so I doubt it was fascists who 'eroded' the rights of business owners over the last 100 years. I'd like to issue a counter-challenge: where in the Constitution does it find, as Mitt Romney stated, 'That Corporations are People, too'?

As to where in the Constitution one finds authority for government regulations, it's writ huge in the separation of powers, giving the Congress the right to make laws, the Executive Branch to carry them out as they see fit and the Supreme Court to judge their Constitutionality, NOT people like Ron Paul. To wit, from a Supreme Court decision, Nebbia vs. New York:

The Constitution does not secure to anyone liberty to conduct his business in such fashion as to inflict injury upon the pubic at large, or upon any substantial group of the people.

So if this is his mission, and it sure seems like it is, maybe he should make it known that what he REALLY wants to be is a Supreme Court Justice.

You can hate Ron and libertarians in general all you want, but Ron's been proven right time and time again. Serious libertarians (not the Reason/LP types) thoroughly oppose the merging of business and government (which Moussolini called Fascism). There's a BIG difference between corporatism and laissez-faire capitalism (as in night/day difference).

You and I have often agreed on this site about some things and differ sharply on others and I agree with you on this one. I used to think that Ayn Rand's 'Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal' was really on to something until I began to experience American Economics close up-- as a small business owner, a professional and a consumer.

I found the world is a messy place incapable of the kind of control that everyone craves in one form or another. There are paradigm shifts that Capitalism has no way of controlling or mitigating the bad effects of, and Atlas Shrugged was a heart-warming fairy tale about romancing Capitalism that could never happen in the real world.

For one reason, Ayn Rand's world didn't include children.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sun 12/25/11 10:42 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/ron-paul-trillion-dollar-man-232900554.html

COMMENTARY | I have followed politics for a long time, and there is never a shortage of politicians promising the world and not delivering. After my recent review of Herman Cain's 9-9-9 plan I detailed why this plan is "all sizzle and no steak" and how an additional 9 percent federal sales tax would give the weak consumer driven economy an immediate heart attack. I believe we already collect enough in taxes, seemingly more than enough, and our problem is almost entirely based around our federal government's spending habits.

Voters should take 10 minutes to read The Plan to Restore America proposed by presidential candidate Ron Paul. Many of Paul's closest supporters might not think it goes far enough, while others who don't mind a ballooning national debt might think it cuts too much and that is why this is the best plan for restoring America.

It's well balanced. It cuts most federal spending back to the levels of 2006 (I'm sure we can all remember life way back in '06) and it saves tax dollars by ending the wars and stops providing any foreign aid. However, Social Security gets increased funding each subsequent year in the Paul presidency as does Medicare, military retirement funding and veterans' benefits.

More importantly this plan is necessary. Without real major changes in defining what the role of our federal government ought to be, we will not be able to achieve prosperity in America again. Even Rush Limbaugh agreed in saying, "Genuine, big spending cuts are the only thing that is going to bring us back into some semblance of ideas. Now, these aren't (just) Ron Paul's ideas. They are ours."

This Trillion Dollar Plan is not a guess, nor a long-term projection. It doesn't make a weak yet hopeful promise to see results 10 years down the road, it delivers immediately by making the cuts in one budget year and would provide a surplus budget before the end of his first term in office.

I like when promises come in written form and from the only honest and consistent candidate running for president in 2012. And since the budget would be in surplus during Paul's first term it would make it easy to judge his presidency when it comes time for re-election. If the debt ceiling isn't raised and my taxes aren't higher, I'll know that you are the real deal; a characteristic that I wouldn't apply to either Barack Obama or George W Bush.

When judging what is truly important this election cycle voters should be focused on two things: Is the candidate trustworthy, and does the candidate know how to fix what's wrong with America? After reading this Plan to Restore America, I feel I have found the answer to both, and I believe that you will too.

One of the least-well known of Murphy's Laws says "Everyone has a get-rich quick plan that won't work." That Murphy's Law also applies to Ron Paul's 'Restore America' plan.

It's way too Captain Obvious and short on credible details. Such as 'honoring our promises to our seniors' while 'allowing younger workers to opt out.'

Fail.

It won't work in this Universe. It's like saying 'all we need to solve our energy crisis is for someone to make Cold Fusion actually work.' Nice trick if you can pull it off, and who knows, someone might?

But that's not the way the smart money bets.

Another one: Lower the Corporate Tax rate to 15%. This is another dodge that promises a lot but is nothing more than a Libertarian feel-good platitude. For most corporations, the ACTUAL rate when all their government corporate welfare and tax breaks are factored in is already below this.

A third: eliminating government regulation. Dr. No is like a Speak-n-Say kids toy on this one-- you pull his string and regardless of the topic, he'll say "NO!" Doesn't matter if it's nuclear power, enviromental, financial, whatever-- let the foxes patrol the hen house. We already know how that works when the Bush administration dismembered the financial regulation infrastructure-- you have bankers becoming banksters.

Sometimes if takes a big mean farmer with a big-*** shotgun to keep the nestegg-sucking dogs out of the chickenhouse. Ron Paul has his head in the Ayn Rand sand on this and other similar situations.

-Kerry O. "...I wrote this myself and approved this message. And I challenge others to not be Fox News sock puppets."

KerryO's photo
Sat 12/24/11 06:10 PM

Who says Gingrich will be they GOP nominee???

I sure hope he isn't-- he's reckless, Machiavellian and completely out-of-touch from his perch in the Conservative Ivory Towers. But seeing as all the other Far Right extremists have self-destructed trying to ride the centrist rapids, he at least temporarily is in the lead in many of the polls. He very well could tap the same Southern Strategy as Nixon did and surprise everyone. Stranger things have happened in American politics.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sat 12/24/11 06:17 AM

With the elections coming up next year let us ponder the elections of 2008 in this short video clip...

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/460299

Scandalous yet funny. The sad thing was that the stuff about McCain and Iran, too possible.

Bomb bomb bomb,
Bomb bomb Iran,

Bomb bomb bomb,
Bomb bomb Iran,

Bomb Iran,
Oh, Bomb Iran!

scared

Makes you reflect on what we have to face next year with the upcoming elections.

huh

I love that song! :banana:

Conservatives: think ahead now and develop flat feet and cysts on your tailbones so you can get medical draft deferments when Newt Gingrich goes full in for the other 2 Axes of Evil, Iran and North Korea. He's going to need more than just Rumsfeld's "You Go With the Army You Have" to fight wars on two MORE fronts.

Oh wait, you think he'll just pop in a couple of nukes and that will be the end of that? Have you thought about how Russia and China might take having radioactive fallout coming down in their sovereign territory?

Oh right-- you'll nuke them, too.

And the kids of the 22nd century will still be paying for the war debt because of COURSE he'll cut taxes while doing all this.

Sheesh.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 12/20/11 10:15 PM

This is why we need Republicans in charge of all three branches of government-- if we did, the homeless man would still be homeless, but instead of food stamps, the government would buy him a gun and supply him with surplus government bullets and a laptop.

Disclaimer: In case you couldn't tell, this was sarcasm.

-Kerry O.

Oh Yeah... and in the leftist utopian society everyone being homeless would keep this kind of thing from happening..

But atleast you would know that people like Oblahma and his millions in wall street cash would really be looking out for you..

Not to mention the Looney Left love to give out plea bargains and let the criminals go free which also encourages this kinda of thing.

Didn't you just finish saying this had nothing to do with politics, LOL!!

You guys are so predictable-- follow up one cheap shot with one from the opposite camp, and you guys chin yourselves on your monitors with... more cheap shots designed to 'defend the honor' of the conservative movement, LOL.

Frankly, I'm surprised this show wasn't a Fox network production. I stopped watching TV years ago when it became polluted with this kind of dreck and stuff like Trump's The Apprentice.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 12/20/11 03:50 PM

This is why we need Republicans in charge of all three branches of government-- if we did, the homeless man would still be homeless, but instead of food stamps, the government would buy him a gun and supply him with surplus government bullets and a laptop.

-Kerry O.

Oh Yeah... and in the leftist utopian society everyone being homeless would keep this kind of thing from happening..

But atleast you would know that people like Oblahma and his millions in wall street cash would really be looking out for you..

Somehow, I don't suspect the Koch Bros are up nights worrying about the plight of homeless people. Like yourself, they'd like to see all unions disbanded so business can create a utopia in its own image where they have everyone else over a barrel.

Remember what Ambrose Bierce said about politics in his Devil's Dictionary?

Politics, n. , A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.

One has to wonder if Bierce had people like the Koch Bros in mind when he wrote that.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 12/20/11 04:13 AM

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sat 12/17/11 04:21 PM

I wish to throw this in as a question about ethics and morality (they mean the same thing, btw)

I was at a party or something, and someone had a sick relative, say a child or a father. Everyone was supportive, I said, I'll say a prayer, but I'm an atheist, I must warn you. They said, more than one and they all agreed, at the party, where almost everyone else was religious, Christian at that, that my prayer will still count, maybe more than a regular Christian's prayer, seeing that I am not a believer.

We went home. I did not do the prayer, thinking that what's the use? I truly don't believe that it would have mattered in any way at all.

NOW. Please try to decide this question either by removing yourself from religion and atheism; or by considering the tenets of both, and not just of one or the other. I mean, you need to answer the question that follows below, but you must examine it from both atheistic and religious views; and give an answer that satisifies both. Not two answers, each of which satisfies either or the other. But one answer, with an explanation perhaps, which ONE answer gives a satisfactory answer to both the religious and the atheists in this above situation.

The question:

Did I do the morally right thing, the ethically right thing, by promising a prayer for the benefit of a religious person; and did I do the right thing by intentionally never saying the prayer.

This is an ethical question, that's how I mean it for you to consider it. Your answer must not be contingent on the fact whether the sick family member for whose benefit I told I'd say a prayer, got better or not.

--------

As a moral question, you may treat the topic in any way you like, for instance as a question within cultural norms and expectations, or as a question as in the domain of individual's moral obligations as determined by him.

Unless the atheist has unassailable proof that his/her failure to tender the agreed prayer will result in the god who is being prayed to definitely taking the life of the sick person, this is NOT a question about ethics. It's a straw man the Faithful are trying to lay on the atheist as a guilt trip to pry religious-based behaviour out of the atheist using emotional blackmail. One could even wonder if _their_ ethics have their ducks all in a row.

The part that gives the game away? The statement by the Christians that one atheist prayer allegedly means more to god than all the prayers of the faithful.

It's like this one: "Every time a US citizen votes Democratic, god kills another kitten. So, save the kittens by voting Republican."

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sat 12/17/11 03:09 PM

Just wondering how does someone defer a draft that others can not defer?

Newt was deferred from serving in Vietnam because he was enrolled at Tulane University and he had children...Also he was impaired with flat feet and short-sightedness...True but non the less funny!!:laughing: Kind of fits doesn't it....

Yes, the biggest conservative hawks are usually the ones that never put on the green suit when they had the chance. Isn't the term for them 'chickenhawks'?

In the case of Newt, he apparently likes to write about warfare as a spectator from the ivory towers, and if elected, would probably find a new war to declare somewhere.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sun 12/11/11 05:56 PM

But Obama isn’t the first U.S. president willing to talk to Islamist groups or even specifically the Muslim Brotherhood. Most notably, the George W. Bush administration — where Rove was a top adviser to the president — talked to Brotherhood politicians during the short-lived “Freedom Agenda.” In the New Republic this winter, reporter Eli Lake, detailing the history of U.S. engagement with Islamist groups, spoke with neoconservative ideologue and top Bush administration Middle East adviser Elliott Abrams:

Some in the Bush administration agreed that the United States needed more contact with these groups. After the 2005 Egyptian elections, in which Brotherhood-affiliated candidates won 88 seats in the national assembly, the U.S. Embassy began to reach out to the new parliamentarians. “The Muslim Brotherhood was illegal in Egypt, but certain parliamentarians who were connected to the Muslim Brotherhood were, we felt, worth talking to,” says Elliott Abrams, who was a deputy national security adviser.

The Bush administration cut those ties only because now-deposed Egyptian dictator Hosni Mubarak demanded that the U.S. stop speaking to opposition groups — marking the point at which Bush’s “Freedom Agenda” collapsed.

Nonetheless, one wonders if Rove’s statement about meeting with the Muslim Brotherhood means he thinks Bush and Abrams — and, by extension, himself — were also weakening America and helping the Muslim Brotherhood.

http://thinkprogress.org/security/2011/07/01/259082/rove-muslim-brotherhood/

Obama is the first US President who is open to negotiating with terrorists.

apparently not,,,lol

And equally apparently, some are forgetting St. Ronnie and the Iran-Contra 'arms for hostages' affair.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sun 12/11/11 05:33 AM

–Pat Robertson, calling for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war ... We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

–Pat Robertson, calling for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez
let me guess,about nearly seven years ago!laugh

Well, here's a newer one, then.

Robertson, along with Jay Sekulow of Robertson's ACLJ, are suing to have ObamaCare declared unconstitutional on religious grounds. They claim it forces insurance on people who believe that faith in God is all the insurance they need. That God will protect them from getting sick and if they do, he will heal them and that it violates their First Amendment rights to Freedom of Religion to be forced to pay into a system in which they don't believe.

Next up, Faith Healers line up for government subsidies claiming equal access under ObamaCare if it's not repealed.

-Kerry O. "When a man tells you it's not the money, but the principle of the thing? Bank on it-- it IS about the money."

KerryO's photo
Sat 12/10/11 03:21 PM

OMG,that's a Real First!
A politician cheating on his Wife!:laughing:

Especially the ones that put on a facade of being the Last Guardians of Family Values and All That's Wholesome, Right and By God Moral about the YewNightedStates of America.

No doubt he'll brush it off as 'I made some mistakes', repent in sackcloth and ashes and get some buy-in by the Rubes who value partisanship above anything else.

It remains to be seen how uncomfortable some of his own party will be with his past and how they'll deal with Newt's hypocrisy. There are already rumblings beneath the surface saying "No, God, NOT HIM! PLEASE!"

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Wed 11/30/11 04:57 PM
Edited by KerryO on Wed 11/30/11 05:13 PM

Employee pay may be cut. “When they go in and file bankruptcy, then American can set the employee contracts anyway they want.”

Doesn't everybody want to experience the adventure of being on a plane flown by a pilot making minimum wage? The race to the bottom was never such fun!

-Kerry O.

all of the other airlines got out from under union contractual obligations and I don't see a shortage of pilots flying for them or an increase in accidents based on the pay scale.. Nice try though..

That's probably because the others got out of the contracts by going through bankruptcy, too. It would only follow that the shortage would be of jobs, not pilots. At least we know that the airlines won't be hiring illegal immigrants for these jobs anytime soon.

I just don't think it's cause for rejoicing when high paying jobs are lost just because someone's political philosophy doesn't like unions. And unlike people like Carly Fiorina, these folks didn't have a golden parachute. As an engineer, I'm sure you know what happened at HP and probably don't think The Suits have covered themselves in glory at HP. Yet, each time the excesses get worse. Maybe Meg Whitman will be different, who knows?j

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Wed 11/30/11 04:18 PM

some high school dropouts have become stock brokers.

And two college dropouts went on to become very famous billionaires.

I'd recommend Malcom Gladwell's book "Outliers" for the insight into how and why they were able to do so without the college degrees. It's not always all about hard work- sometimes, it's being in the right place in the right time that makes the hard work pay off. Having a passion for your work is another key ingredient, and the recipe one brews with it often sustains the 'cook' whether they become rich _monetarily_ at what they do or not.

On the other hand, some people will never have enough money, and it dooms them to never being happy, either.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 11/29/11 03:37 PM

Employee pay may be cut. “When they go in and file bankruptcy, then American can set the employee contracts anyway they want.”

Doesn't everybody want to experience the adventure of being on a plane flown by a pilot making minimum wage? The race to the bottom was never such fun!

-Kerry O.

1 3 5 6 7 8 9 24 25