Community > Posts By > KerryO

KerryO's photo
Mon 07/25/11 06:55 AM

It happens all the time LP.......on either side of the political spectrum. You wanna see why nothing changes? That's part of why.

This time it was taken to far, people got to greedy and was VERY illegal.

"Very"? As opposed to 'sort of' or 'kind of' illegal? Is that like being 'a little pregnant'?

How would you classify what Tom DeLay, the first Congressional leader to ever be indicted and convicted of a felony, did?

Contrast that with what John Edwards did and was arrested for.

Only speaking for myself, I'm hope Edwards gets the book thrown at him and that DeLay isn't able to use the legal system forever to avoid having to take the perp walk.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sun 07/24/11 02:05 PM

The discovery Channel, the History Channel, movies, and now a new series about an alien invasion are all preparing humans on earth for the idea that aliens exist.

No scientist I know of will say for certain that we are alone in the universe.

More than 75% of people today believe that UFO's are real, and that aliens exist.

Records of Sky ships go back to the 1700's.

Aliens..... exist.

Does anyone doubt that?

Do they look human? Are they among us? Are they friendly or are they planning on taking control of the earth?

If and when they do.... will humans be their pets, their slaves or their food?

Well, if it's on TV, it must be true.

Wait...

...didn't someone here just recently say the the media distorts and spins, like, everything???

Enh, what's a few aliens in world of morons and fanatics anyway?

-Kerry O. "...this week on Elvira's Movie Macabre-- Killer Klowns From Outer Space...."

KerryO's photo
Sat 07/23/11 06:42 PM

Pure and simple, Osama bin Laden was a mass murderer who showed NO signs of being anything but for as long as he was able to avoid justice. He was repaid for his deeds in the same currency in which he dealt.

He was NOT part of the leadership of a sovereign nation-- he and his organization was pretty much repudiated by all legitimate governments on the planet, and because of that, his organization has declared war on most of the civilized world. Witness what happened today in Norway-- Al Quida's fingerprints are on that one, too.

I don't think his being brought to justice should be celebrated as such, but I think millions of people breathe easier knowing that such people won't always escape punishment for their crimes against humanity.

-Kerry O.

huh

Fingerprints? Bull crap. Al-Qaeda is a just a name made up by the powers that create propaganda. It is not an organization of international terrorists. It's just the new "boogie man" that they want us to be afraid of. Just because someone said that they "suspect Al-Qaeda" that means jack. They always suspect Al-Qaeda. That, after all, is the current popular "boogie man" that gets all the press. Where are the ties? Where are the so-called finger prints?

The person they arrested in Norway was from Britain.

Who you happen to believe Osama bin Laden was is not the point. The point is, to sanction and condone assassinations of suspects regardless who they may be is not a deed of "the good guys."

The selling of a commemorative coin honoring the killers/heroes/assassins is really bad taste.

Who ever is running this show is criminally insane.

That would be our leaders.

Criminally insane and in very bad taste.

Immoral. Illegal. Insane.

WRONG.

Please re-read my post. I know I've crossed swords with you in other forums, but that's no reason to ascribe positions to me that I haven't taken.

All I've said is that there is MORE than AMPLE evidence to show that Osama Bin Laden was an international criminal mastermind obsessed with using mass murder for revenge and as a tool to usher in a new world order where an Islamic caliphate would be a dominant force in the world.

I'm sure our government has lied in the past and spun things like the Bay of Pigs and the Gulf on Tonkin into justifications for ill-considered wars in the past.

This wasn't one of those times. This was a man with a sword who thought he was unstoppable and would never stop trying to kill those he hated. And I think you needed to be reminded yet again that even his own country and family booted him out for his misdeeds.

I don't know about you, but when someone cuts once and tries again, I think it's pretty clear cut that this is self-defense and even the 'good guys' are going to do everything they can to make sure the next shot is between the eyes.

But hey, you're entitled to your opinion. You can even try to get someone to convene a war crimes trial naming the USA as defendant.

Let us know how that works out for you, 'kay?

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Fri 07/22/11 05:10 PM

I've got a question to any athiests(naturalists) who are interested. (And yes, not all athiests are naturalists). I should note first of all that I am genuinely curious here. So:

If there is no god or gods and only what can be proved scientifically is true then where does meaning and purpose for human life come from? Sure, we can invent meaning for ourselves but isn't that basically self delusion? The very same criticism leveled at theists? The only purpose I can see from a naturalists worldview is that we must make a baby and raise it is able to make babies itself... and then we die. Is that really all our lives mean? Or is there more?

Humanity, for better or for worse, is its own alpha and omega. That is the birthright of sentience and self-awareness, even though at times it can be a curse, too.

It's up to each individual, acting singularly or collectively as a society, to give meaning to existence through acts, deeds and gifts to their descendents and culture. THAT is how we survive death--we read and write the passage of those once alive into the racial memory by their strivings, achievements and their love of those who come after.

No God needed.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Fri 07/22/11 04:46 PM
Pure and simple, Osama bin Laden was a mass murderer who showed NO signs of being anything but for as long as he was able to avoid justice. He was repaid for his deeds in the same currency in which he dealt.

He was NOT part of the leadership of a sovereign nation-- he and his organization was pretty much repudiated by all legitimate governments on the planet, and because of that, his organization has declared war on most of the civilized world. Witness what happened today in Norway-- Al Quida's fingerprints are on that one, too.

I don't think his being brought to justice should be celebrated as such, but I think millions of people breathe easier knowing that such people won't always escape punishment for their crimes against humanity.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Thu 07/21/11 05:24 PM

There is an obstacle in my dating routine that I just can't seem to get past. After getting knocked down by it for about the 5th time in a row, I'm going to have to ask for advice on this one. This is new to me and not supposed to be how dating works.

So.. it always seems to be the same routine. I meet someone new, she seems very interested, I also become interested, we exchange phone numbers, facebook, etc, we enter the "we're talking" stage. We talk for a week or two, learn all about each other, express even more interest, that we like what we are hearing and are lucky to have met and so on. Arrangements are made for a first date (or meeting, in mingle cases), I get excited, she seems excited, things are going well in my eyes, no-one is being creepy, rude, controling, weird, etc... all of the potential is there!

And that's when it happens.. About 3-4 days before the first date, suddenly the texts or calls or emails just stop. The attention I was getting is suddenly just stripped away. I don't sweat it, I don't freak out, as I am used to this happening by now. I calmly wait until the end of the day, or the next day, and send out a simple "hey, how are you doing today?" or something like that. I either get a one word reply like "good" or "busy" or just get ignored all together.

By the time our planned date comes around, my crush has disappeared into thin air. I will ask "Hey are we still meeting up today?" but won't get a response. And that's it, I'll never hear from her again. I even had one just delete and block me online for no apparent reason.

I don't get it. I don't understand. I would understand the abandonment if I was being a pig, being rude, being creepy or something like that, but I'm sure that isn't the case. How can things be going along so well one day and then gone the next? People's feelings, emotions, and interests don't change overnight.

They can. Your 'Adored One' can 'find a better deal' and ::::poof::: you're yesterday's news. People looking for a new permanent relationship can be ruthless when it comes to fulfilling their heart's desires. They can be like kids in a toy store-- when they see another one that they fancy more, they'll completely ignore their conscience and do whatever they feel is necessary to obtain the shiny new toy laid at their doorstep.

Oh, I'd bet deep down the know that what they're doing isn't too nice, but they'll find some way to justify it--- and keeping contact with the person they weren't too nice to just interferes with the justification way too much. So, they run and hide.

And the Internet makes that so easy to do. It's why I have such little faith in online dating-- you can't see the 'tells' that someone is just infatuated with you or is just plain lying to you and ready to leave you standing out in the cold.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 07/19/11 05:09 PM

posted by Thom Holwerda on Sun 17th Jul 2011 20:58 UTC, submitted by fran
IconIt's strange. Microsoft has been patent trolling the heck out of the Linux kernel for a long time now, and is still using these patents against Android today in its protection money scheme. However, as LWN.net illustrates, Microsoft makes quite a few contributions to the Linux kernel. Shouldn't this invalidate their patent claims?

LWN.net regularly investigates and summarises the various contributions to the Linux kernel, making lists of who contributes the most. Now that version 3.0 of the Linux kernel is about to hit the big wide world, it was time for another one of these investigations.

Microsoft proposed a total of 361 changes to the Linux kernel, putting it in seventh place on the list of companies contributing the most to the kernel. To give you an idea - Red Hat provided 1000 changes, and Intel 839. Independent developers contributed 1085 change sets.

Now, this doesn't say a whole lot, since it doesn't take the size of the changes into account. As H-Online notes, Microsoft's changes are small and touch only a few lines of code; Microsoft changed 11564 lines of code (1.3%), while Intel, for instance, changed a whopping 163232 lines (18.1%). Most of Microsoft's code revolve around the driver for its HyperV virtualisation interface

Still, this got me thinking. In The Netherlands, there is this TV show called 'De Rijdende Rechter' ('The Travelling Judge'), which revolves around a judge taking on all kinds of small and hilarious cases, like trees hanging over neighbour's gardens, fences protruding 3 inches onto other people's property, and so on. It's hilarious.

Now, imagine Microsoft is bringing a case to the Rijdende Rechter. Microsoft claims that his neighbours (a family) are building a shed a few inches over the property line so that it actually covers a minutely small strip of Microsoft's land. The shed is usable as it is, but the neighbours continuously improve it inside and out, painting it, replacing some of the wooden panelling, installing lights, and so on. Microsoft demands that the judge orders the neighbours to either pay rent for the small strip of land, or tear down the tiny sliver of the shed on Microsoft's land.

How strong would Microsoft's case be if the neighbours building the shed told the judge Microsoft had actually been helping in building the shed, even though it knew about the placement of the shed and the property line issue? I can assure you - it would make Microsoft's case considerably weaker. Helping to build the shed while knowing it protrudes on his land would would constitute a form of approval.

But then, maybe I'm applying too much logic here.
http://www.osnews.com/story/24960/Microsoft_Contributes_361_Changes_to_Linux_3_0

I suspect this small amount of collaboration is only for the sake of innoculating Micr$oft against future anti-trust claims and to satisfy requirements in some jurisdictions that Microsoft make some anti-monopoly gestures.

Compare these actions to what Apple has done in the arena of open source/ Unix, and they pale by comparison.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 07/19/11 04:52 PM

And how does this relate to America?

It doesn't. It's the same old righwing baffleyap playing bait and switch. What's ironic is that it's conservatives who love forced conformity more than anyone. If they can't assimilate something, it's targeted with xenophobia and the out group becomes part of their "Us or Them" strategy. It's been that way even before Viet Nam and probably always will be until the country is bled dry by the cost of maintaining standing armies fighting constant foreign wars.

And BTW, righties, read what the authors of the Constitution and the Federalist papers thought of standing armies before people of treasonous/dangerous speech.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sun 07/17/11 07:41 PM

KerryO said...

So why don't you stop being so immoral and go work in one yourself?

Your position is like that of Jeb Bush's saying he was a 'self-mnade' man when he ran for Governor in Florida-- yours and his political theories come straight from the tale of the Emperor's Clothes.

Such pathetic attempts at logic are committed in these forums. It's sad. sad

I never said it was "moral" to work in a sweatshop, I said it's moral to build and run them there. It is a very great boon to 3rd world citizen who gets to work in a sweatshop. Sweatshops are moral in 3rd world countries, because it offers the citizens a better alternative than their country can allow. It also creates more jobs than the country already has. It also gives the employees job experience that will come in very useful as the economy grows.

Maybe the reason you don't believe in what Jeb Bush has said is because you are incapable of understanding what he said? I'm not saying that you have a mental deficiency, but rather an emotional one. You are clearly intelligent, but you allow your emotions to blind your reason. You should calm down and look at the facts rationally. I didn't always believe sweatshops were good, I educated myself. If someone says something you don't agree with, you don't have to lash out at them from pure emotion, you can research the subject and come to an informed decision.

LOL!! Who's 'lashing'? I'm just pointing out the contradiction of your position and the fact that you are unwilling to put your actual money where your proverbial mouth is.

And as usual, the torrent of ad hominems and eqivocations proves I've pushed your buttons sufficiently to get you to surreptitously abandon your logical fallacies in favor of 'tough guy' rhetoric and 'politician's answers'.

In other words, all the things you decry in others.

But by all means, DEMAND that your Far Right stalwarts like Rick Santorum bring sweatshops back to America. Let them grab the 3rd rail of politics so we can put them back where they belong- outside of Congress looking in fulminating to Fundy crackpots. That's how we handed Santorum his walking papers in Pennsylvania. Remember his supporters chanting "Hee Hee, ho ho ho- Social Security's to go"? More than even his many exposed hypocrises, that sound byte came back to haunt him ruthlessly.

-Kerry O.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Your post is so stupid and dangerous, it should declared a hate crime.

Whatever, Spiderman. And you say I'M emotional?

The inconvenient fact IS is that you sound a LOT like Rick Santorum and Pennsylvanians threw him out on his ear. By one of the largest margins in recent electoral history.

And THAT wasn't a 'hate crime.' Take a bite of that apple and get back to me. Preferably with out all the ad hominems, but if you can't help yourself, I'm sure we all will understand.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sun 07/17/11 07:29 PM

The accumulation of great wealth depends upon society. Without society, there can be no such thing.

That is fact.

And without a special person who can find a need and fill that need, great wealth wouldn't exist. What's your point? That because a society allows each person to reach their fullest potential, those who have the most success should be over taxed? Why should they try as hard, when they receive diminishing returns with more effort?

Yeah, why shouldn't the people who work SO HARD each day speculating on oil futures not be allowed to take over American and make surfs of the rest of us? Look at how well the peasants of the Middle Ages had it-- dying of tooth decay and working the fields for the artistocracy who had them under their thumbs.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sun 07/17/11 07:20 PM

KerryO said...

Your position is like that of Jeb Bush's saying he was a 'self-mnade' man when he ran for Governor in Florida-- yours and his political theories come straight from the tale of the Emperor's Clothes.

Such pathetic attempts at logic are committed in these forums. It's sad. sad

I never said it was "moral" to work in a sweatshop, I said it's moral to build and run them there. It is a very great boon to 3rd world citizen who gets to work in a sweatshop. Sweatshops are moral in 3rd world countries, because it offers the citizens a better alternative than their country can allow. It also creates more jobs than the country already has. It also gives the employees job experience that will come in very useful as the economy grows.

Maybe the reason you don't believe in what Jeb Bush has said is because you are incapable of understanding what he said? I'm not saying that you have a mental deficiency, but rather an emotional one. You are clearly intelligent, but you allow your emotions to blind your reason. You should calm down and look at the facts rationally. I didn't always believe sweatshops were good, I educated myself. If someone says something you don't agree with, you don't have to lash out at them from pure emotion, you can research the subject and come to an informed decision.

LOL!! Who's 'lashing'? I'm just pointing out the contradiction of your position and the fact that you are unwilling to put your actual money where your proverbial mouth is.

And as usual, the torrent of ad hominems and eqivocations proves I've pushed your buttons sufficiently to get you to surreptitously abandon your logical fallacies in favor of 'tough guy' rhetoric and 'politician's answers'.

In other words, all the things you decry in others.

But by all means, DEMAND that your Far Right stalwarts like Rick Santorum bring sweatshops back to America. Let them grab the 3rd rail of politics so we can put them back where they belong- outside of Congress looking in fulminating to Fundy crackpots. That's how we handed Santorum his walking papers in Pennsylvania. Remember his supporters chanting "Hee Hee, ho ho ho- Social Security's to go"? More than even his many exposed hypocrises, that sound byte came back to haunt him ruthlessly.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sun 07/17/11 08:52 AM

The housing bubble had regulations, and the overwhelmingly vast majority of loans that actually followed the regulations were not the ones that initially defaulted causing the collapse. Now, it's been a while since I looked at the numbers, so they may have changed in the past couple years. But the collapse itself did not begin from loans following the regs. Greed and the quick profit regardless of the consequences... no accountability. That was the problem.

Some loan officers, and many if not most mortgage brokers, knowingly offered unqualified citizens a mortgage that they would never be able to afford. So, because they recognized this very high probability for default, they began selling those bad loans to hedge fund managers who again sold the bad loans on the market. All the while making money hand over fist. The loans went into default... as expected, the shareholders went belly up, the undisciplined banks went belly up, and the merchants walked away with incredible profits and no accountability.

That was the problem. There was no vested interest in the success of the loans to begin with by those who were setting them up.

Very true ... and irresponsible.

But wouldn't it have made more sense to invest the $800+Billion in bailout dollars in the families ... how would things look different if instead of bailing out Freddie and Fanny ... they bailed out the families.

Families would still be in their homes ... Freddie and Fannie would have stayed in business because people would have been able to pay their mortgages...

Call me simplistic ... but it makes sense to me ...

actually, no, as i see it anyway. bailing out families so irresponsible as to get themselves in such a fix, most families weren't so stupid, would have two negative effects. one, it would do nothing to save the mortgage banking system that those of us still need who did NOT succumb to the greed of a 'cheap home' that we could not afford in the first place; and two, it would have fostered the same risky behavior in the future. when people see the government as their savior from stupidity they become as guilty as the financial institutions for risking it all knowing they are 'too big for the government to allow them to fail.'

In many cases, these were unsophisticated people who were being lied to be 'experts', who told them 'Don't worry about the reset rate, property values will keep growing really fast, you'll be making more money and you'll be able to finance in 2 years at a lower rate'.

If you're going to be fair, how about commenting on the rich people who bought into the same scheme hoping to get even richer without risk or effort, but who just 'turned in the keys' when they couldn't make the payments from the cash flow on their speculation properties and there was no one with the means to pay the rents they would have needed to do so? These were the same kind of people who are fond of saying 'My word is my bond' in better times, but who caved into the same 'let the government clean up the mess' when their investments cratered.

See, it's always easier to pick on people who are not those you wish to emulate-- and it's easier to look the other way when they are. Face it-- in this country, money can buy a lot of repentance, And cheaply, too.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sun 07/17/11 05:03 AM

Very true ... and irresponsible.

But wouldn't it have made more sense to invest the $800+Billion in bailout dollars in the families ... how would things look different if instead of bailing out Freddie and Fanny ... they bailed out the families.

Families would still be in their homes ... Freddie and Fannie would have stayed in business because people would have been able to pay their mortgages...

Call me simplistic ... but it makes sense to me ...

See how easy it is to come up with a simple and humane solution to these problems? Do you know why Freddy and Fanny were kept afloat, but the home owners were screwed? The government created Freddy and Fanny and treat them like babies. Close down Freddy and Fanny and start over, no reason to keep around two organizations that nearly bankrupted the country.

Governments seem to enjoy overly complicating things don't they? I guess it justifies their existence...

But you're ignoring history-- the same people who had the biggest hands in creating (and profiting from) this mess were the people who pretty much bought the bovernment and forced it to get out of the business of regulating the very activity that caused it.

Do some research-- you'll find that one of the biggest problems in the foreclosure mess has been caused by 'house flippers' walking away from loans on properties that are no 'under water'. You'll find that what these rich folks did was perfectly legal, because they got the bankruptcy laws changed to favor themselves back in the early 2000s.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Sun 07/17/11 04:50 AM

Considering your arguments toward morality and fairness ... do you advocate sweatshops? Child labor? Forced labor just shy of slavery? Does it sit well with your moral compass that people work 16 hours a day for $.50 which really doesn't pay for them to eat healthily?

Absolutely I support sweatshops, don't you?

http://www.citizeneconomists.com/blogs/2008/08/14/outsourcing-the-good-side-of-asian-sweatshops/
It’s a painful fact that boycotting goods made by sweatshop labor only hurts the workers, not the factory owners. In 1993, a U.S. boycott forced Bangladeshi factories to quit utilizing child labor. According to Oxfam, most of those displaced children were forced into worse positions, including prostitution—when their first choice had been to sew clothing for Wal-Mart shoppers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqtS3sFVy7s

http://www.lewrockwell.com/dilorenzo/dilorenzo113.html
In a forthcoming article in the Journal of Labor Research Ben Powell and David Skarbek present the results of a survey of "sweatshops" in eleven Third World countries. In nine of the eleven countries, "sweatshop" wages in foreign factories located there were higher than the average. In Honduras, where almost half the working population lives on $2/day, "sweatshops" pay $13.10/day. "Sweatshop" wages are more than double the national average in Cambodia, Haiti, Nicaragua, and Honduras. The implication of this for all those naïve college students (and faculty) who have been duped into becoming anti-sweatshop protesters is that they should support and encourage more direct foreign investment in the Third World if they are at all concerned about the economic wellbeing of the people there.

Let's be honest, "sweatshops" really are good for growing economies. People who work in sweatshops are actually far better off than their neighbors who don't. The statistics show that.

So yes, I support sweatshops, it's the moral position.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Tue 07/12/11 05:13 PM

I think a nice guy would just be himself. He should treat others that way he wants to be treated. Its not rocket science.

But a lot of people aren't into science when it comes to affairs of the heart. They seemingly can't see that men and women are essentially different sides of the same coin- they are people and generally have feelings that can be hurt by those who sometimes turn off their conscience to get what they desire.

Science tells us that men who act out under the 3 negative personality traits dubbed 'The Dark Triad' are often much more successful with women than scrupulous men, especially those who lack classic good lucks.

But do birds of a feather flock together? I think so, and I have to wonder about women who make it a point to denigrate the masculinity of men who have learned to become immune to their manipulative behaviours-- the complementary female version of the Dark Triad.

I guess the big trouble is that those birds don't do nests together too well, and the older one gets the more likely one is going to come into contact with broken nesters.

So, would I rather get an MRI than go out on a date? Gee, that's toughie...

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Mon 07/11/11 04:03 PM
~~ I don't care if it rains or freezes.....~~

KerryO's photo
Mon 07/11/11 03:56 PM

If you're a guy who didn't exactly get dealt ladykiller looks by nature in the attractiveness department and a survivor, you learn to watch for the signs that 'she's just not that into you' and walk off into the sunset before even being asked. You learn to base your self worth on what good you've done with your life and your achievements NOT on how pretty a so-called 'mate' you have on your arm.

-Kerry O.

This is so true -- and I don't know if it's "wisdom" or just simple resignation, but I have reached the point where I can accept the idea that there just aren't going to be any more relationships for me. I understand that I don't need another person in order to function. I understand that my own worth does not have (and never did have) anything to do with my status as an adjunct to another person.

For me, it always seems to turn into some variation of ' "Repent Harlequin!" Said the TicktockWoman'.

-Kerry O., "A Harlan Ellison anti-hero in a Harley Davidson/ Norah Roberts world."

KerryO's photo
Sun 07/10/11 03:55 PM

Have you ever read "He's Not All That Into You?" Guys have code phrases for things like, "It's not you, it's me" when it really IS you and they're trying to let you down easy.

Women have code phrases too. And for some women, telling you you're a "nice guy but" sometimes means that they're not attracted to you; they just don't want to hurt your feelings.

If you're a guy who didn't exactly get dealt ladykiller looks by nature in the attractiveness department and a survivor, you learn to watch for the signs that 'she's just not that into you' and walk off into the sunset before even being asked. You learn to base your self worth on what good you've done with your life and your achievements NOT on how pretty a so-called 'mate' you have on your arm.

There's something to be said about sustaining one's self through a famine and something sad about another who starves despite living in a perpetual feast. Some of the loneliest people are the most attractive and some of the most content are those that soar with the eagles.

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Mon 07/04/11 03:59 PM

this is different from outlawing divorce

I do feel that the interest is 'communal' and 'familial', preserving the FOUNDATION which brings us all into existence in the first place

supporting those who wish to take it to the extreme of making a lifetime commitment to EACH other as well as the children they may create together

as to divorce, it is likewise in the interest of the children that these should be granted, for whatever reason,,, in my opinion

if children are in an unhealthy home, it may be more in their interest for those adults to divorce than to be forced to remain together

I would not be opposed to making divorce more difficult though, perhaps it would deter people from marrying the wrong partner if they didnt feel it was so easily 'fixed'...

Charity begins at home. I would think it would behoove those who loudly proclaim that gay marriages will undermine the institution need to take a good look around and fix their own house first.

Broken homes caused by divorce are like the termites eating away at this 'foundation' you're talking about, and gay marriage has exactly NOTHING to do with it.

Look at people like Randall Terry and how his actions has damaged his marriages and affected his childrens' lives.

If marriage is a solely heterosexual privilege, I think anyone can demonstrate how badly it's been abused by the same people who would deny it to another group of people.

-Kerry O.

creating life is solely a 'heterosexual privilege' so the responsibility for that life is PRIMARILY and NATURALLY upon the shoulders of those HETEROSEXUAL partners which have the sole privilege of being able to do so

...and they shirk that duty ALL the time. Marriage or no marriage, they bring people into the world ALL the time that they either can't or won't parent, and they use divorce to dissolve those contracts as if they were mere pieces of paper.

Also, there's nothing in the marriage contract that says a heterosexual couple must procreate as a condition of the marriage. Why aren't we calling those marriages 'Civil Unions'? Good luck with that one!

all the rest is a smokescreen that has little to do with my reasoning
as homosexual couples are no less guilty of break ups and infidelity or any of the issues that lead heterosexuals to divorce,,,

but yes, as adults , we should ALL be looking more closely at how our actions affect community and family,,,

So when can we expect this examination to happen? Doesn't your religion have a quote that says "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?" Seems to me, it's easier for some heterosexuals to cast stones against people who are different from themselves than to actually DO the hard work of getting their own house in order.

That's where the real smokescreen is...

-Kerry O.

KerryO's photo
Mon 07/04/11 06:44 AM
Edited by KerryO on Mon 07/04/11 06:45 AM

this is different from outlawing divorce

I do feel that the interest is 'communal' and 'familial', preserving the FOUNDATION which brings us all into existence in the first place

supporting those who wish to take it to the extreme of making a lifetime commitment to EACH other as well as the children they may create together

as to divorce, it is likewise in the interest of the children that these should be granted, for whatever reason,,, in my opinion

if children are in an unhealthy home, it may be more in their interest for those adults to divorce than to be forced to remain together

I would not be opposed to making divorce more difficult though, perhaps it would deter people from marrying the wrong partner if they didnt feel it was so easily 'fixed'...

Charity begins at home. I would think it would behoove those who loudly proclaim that gay marriages will undermine the institution need to take a good look around and fix their own house first.

Broken homes caused by divorce are like the termites eating away at this 'foundation' you're talking about, and gay marriage has exactly NOTHING to do with it.

Look at people like Randall Terry and how his actions has damaged his marriages and affected his childrens' lives.

If marriage is a solely heterosexual privilege, I think anyone can demonstrate how badly it's been abused by the same people who would deny it to another group of people.

-Kerry O.

1 2 5 6 7 9 11 12 13 24 25