no photo
Thu 01/17/13 07:34 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Thu 01/17/13 07:35 AM

its funny the level of obsession and tunnel vision

published a report this month which has provided these details.

Deaths in Afghanistan

Click heading to sort. Download this data

Year

Anti-govn't forces

Pro-govn't forces

Other

Total

% change

% killings by Taliban

SOURCE: UNAMA

TOTAL, 2007-2011

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/aug/10/afghanistan-civilian-casualties-statistics

So are you saying that if the numbers involved are small then the problem is not really important?

So the number of people killed in the US with so called assault rifles is just as small . . .

Might want to cover up, your bias is showing.

no photo
Thu 01/17/13 07:15 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Thu 01/17/13 07:16 AM

That's just nasty!:wink:

. . and not even accurate.

The moniker Pink slim and all the blather about the process of getting more meat off of bones has been dramatized by the outrage crowd.

The Truth about Quacks by an Arch-Quack!laugh
Yup, Mercola wouldn't know a fact if it got up and explained itself.

no photo
Thu 01/17/13 07:12 AM
Blah blah blah, stupid movie, and stupid people who care too much about what it MEANS . . .

Its a stupid movie, just like a ton of stupid movies, it has no meaning, its meant to make money.

If the movie makes you think, that is perfectly ok, just keep thinking.

no photo
Thu 01/17/13 07:02 AM

As I sat watching the new movie "jdango", I was reminded of a recent trip abroad. I had a conversation with an African woman while waiting in Heathrow airport for our return to the states. I was surprised at the meaning of "jdango", although quite entertaining, I was reminded of how hollywood and media actually control our thinking. Jdango means "awakened" in several African languages. I found it interesting that Jdango (awakened), unchained, (movies title is jdango unchained) is a movie of an awakened, unchained Blackman who kills white people throughout the movie and released right in the middle of the most contravercial subject in recent memory, GUN LAWS. The message is clearly what is most disturbing. As I left the theater I overheard several people saying some disturbing things. One lady said, "im not sleeping tonight", another man said, "and they want to take our guns? Never". Hollywood has always had the power to sway the minds of the masses. After all, comercials are a subliminal mechanism that not only sells a product, but influences thinking, specially the mindless. Even Hitler knew the power of subliminal deduction. The message this movie sends is indeed a bad precident to 300 million gun owners who depend solely on a media outlet that has a history of distortion. Troubling indeed.
What makes you so special?

What makes you immune to influence?

What makes you so special that you can pass judgement on 300 million gun owners and represent there thought process based on the reactions of a couple of people in a single movie theater?

Honestly . . . your post shows me how inconsiderate you are, and a lack of consideration tends to lead to false judgements, which leads to doing stupid things, and stupid is as stupid does.

Might want to look in a mirror bud.

no photo
Thu 01/17/13 06:56 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Thu 01/17/13 06:58 AM

.. thats 2500 ATF agents too many.

I agree. All such organizations need to show how the causal effects of there enforcing these laws has any impact on crime.

The problem, they cant.

They cannot justify there own existence with anything coming close to an objective study.

The ATF locks up people who put a hand grip on a rifle, or shorten a barrel. Not a small amount of time either, 10 years mandatory.

The law is out of hand, we need to repeal NFA, do away with the ATF, and stick to enforcing real crime, like when people actually do something harmful to another vs just own something and harm no one.

no photo
Wed 01/16/13 03:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkl0gSOu3QMDo you NEED an assault rifle? Do you need a pistol capable of firing 10 or more rounds without reload?

Hmm, I guess that depends where you find yourself.

no photo
Wed 01/16/13 01:23 PM

Mental Health is a big issue and for some reason an impossible issue to get them to pay any attention to.

Did you look at this?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/14/state-by-state-gun-report/1834361/ More states are working on the mental health side than guns.

Good news IMHO.

no photo
Wed 01/16/13 12:58 PM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Wed 01/16/13 01:02 PM

There are virtually no guns in Europe.
This is not true btw, but lets assume it is for a minute.

So we have two ends of a spectrum.

Europe, and the US.

One has as many guns as citizens, and the other we are going to say has virtually no guns.

In the US – population 311.5 million (1) – there were an estimated 13,756 murders in 2009 (2), a rate of about 5.0 per 100,000 (3).

In the UK – population 56.1 million (4) – there were an estimated 550 murders in 2011-12 (5), a rate of about 1.4 per 100,000.

These numbers are a few years old, but it doesn't matter, they have not changed that much since.

I know math is not many peoples strong suit, and even less so of those that put forth articles like the one in the OP, but lets take a second and ask a few questions.

What is the ratio of guns, to murder in these countries.

If we say Europe has virtually 0 guns, and the US has 330 million guns, then we should be able to create a ratio of these two numbers and the murders should follow suit and be close to the same ratio . .

Now I am too charitable to compare 0 to 311 million, create a ratio and pretend that is accurate, so instead I actually looked up some research on how many guns are in the hands of civilians in the UK.

Karp, Aaron.2007.‘Completing the Count: Civilian firearms: Annexes online.’ Small Arms Survey 2007: Guns and the City.Cambridge:Cambridge University Press,27 August. (Q6493)Full Citation

The estimated total number of guns held by civilians in the United Kingdom is 4,060,0001

The FBI estimates that there are over 200 million privately-owned firearms in the US. If you add those owned by the military, law enforcement agencies and museums, there is probably about 1 gun per person in the country.

(US) 311m citizens \ 200m guns
(UK) 56m citizens \ 4m guns

Ratio of Murder:
5 per 100K / 1.4 per 100K

If the number of guns made a difference in the number of murders then the UK should have 36 million guns, not 4 million.

The US should have a murder rate of 22.2 per 100 thousand.

This is a difference of a power of 4. The correlation is off, and not by a small amount.

What this shows you is that gun ownership is not the problem. That far more people have guns than use them irresponsible.

no photo
Wed 01/16/13 12:39 PM

It is yet another push for that "utopia" they all want so badly! Crimanals want unarmed victims and Dictators want unarmed citizens!

the 'game' is more a partof american culture than most americans admit

how many children die each year from gun 'accidents' even ?500

yet, people pushing for guns in every home are hmming and hawing about drones that have killed not even that many children over 8 years,,,

can we say,, hypocrisy,,?
So we gun owners . . . the ones who have not been negligent with our firearms and allowed children access, should have our rights restricted because some do?

But so long as the 330 million people in the US dont have more negligent accidents involving children than the president does, then its ok.

Do you EVER take a moment to say out loud what you think, and then wonder what the flip side sounds like?

no photo
Wed 01/16/13 12:34 PM
100% hyperbole 0 facts.

no photo
Wed 01/16/13 12:23 PM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Wed 01/16/13 12:24 PM
If a person's actions have not harmed someone, then those actions do not deserve harm.

So if we apply this to your rape scenario then we must conclude that no matter how scantily clad, no matter how sexualized the behavior, that a person does not deserve unsolicited violence, aggression, or force.

Now lets apply that to assault weapons. A person who owns an assault weapon who has done nothing to harm anyone else should not be harmed by the government for merely possessing that item.

This is true for every single topic we have talked about here on these forums. Why? Because it is fundamental.

Those amongst us who want the government to force people to do things, what you can were, what you can drink, what you can smoke, what you can own, what you can enjoy OUGHT to understand the relationships between rights, responsibility, and law.

The relationships ARE the same among all of these topics. What is not the same is how everyone treats them.

Willow has 0 respect for gun owners.
Many Christians have 0 respect for people who wear "slutty" clothing.
Some have 0 respect for a person based on their skin color or sexual preferences.
It is easy to disregard the rights of others when you disrespect them for something they do, wear, own etc regardless of any actual harm caused by them.

Its a mistake, you assume too much.

no photo
Wed 01/16/13 10:00 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Wed 01/16/13 10:02 AM

Sorry but because a gun toter cannot guarantee they will not be irresponsible with their weapon (allow the kids to get it, let it get stolen, etc...) or lose their mind and kill/let others kill/ with said weapon, the preemptive isn't really an argument per se. If you want to skip that part like most will fine.
So you are saying that because men have the ability to rape, that all men should be locked up?

There will be more laws to try to prevent the children from being mowed down the classroom. And if that doesn't work there will be more laws.
Until anything that can do harm is locked away?

Considering I am not anti gun, I don't think that applies to me. You can try that argument with a full out anti gun person though and see how it goes.

I stand for the non crazy gun owners to have a weapon that they never brandish, the kids never see it, they do not believe it will save them in the middle of the night since they don't keep it loaded because of the kids, they have it just in case someday they need to hunt a rabbit for food, etc...

None of which changes the fact that guns do not deter crime if it were true this country would be almost crimeless.

I understand that you want to narrowly define what a gun can do, or how it can be used to minimize its importance, but that does nothing to address my points.

My points are about banning or restricting property rights based on the potential for harm, not actual harm that has been done by an actual individual.

That is preemptive violence, just as rape is preemptive violence. Unsolicited and not in response to aggression or violence.

no photo
Wed 01/16/13 09:55 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Wed 01/16/13 09:56 AM

Oh and thanks for side lining me on this thread:wink: laugh
What does that even mean? You are clearly still, in the game, not on the sidelines?

Just taking your own logic to its natural conclusions and applying it consistently to the idea of potential harm, rights, and law.

no photo
Wed 01/16/13 09:51 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Wed 01/16/13 09:54 AM
Sorry but because a gun toter cannot guarantee they will not be irresponsible with their weapon (allow the kids to get it, let it get stolen, etc...) or lose their mind and kill/let others kill/ with said weapon, the preemptive isn't really an argument per se. If you want to skip that part like most will fine.
So you are saying that because men have the ability to rape, that all men should be locked up?

There will be more laws to try to prevent the children from being mowed down the classroom. And if that doesn't work there will be more laws.
Until anything that can do harm is locked away?

Guns are not a deterrent to crime or we would have the smallest crime rate in this country. This country would be utopia if guns were the answer.
So it is not possible for a third option? That guns are both not the answer, and not the cause of the problem?

no photo
Wed 01/16/13 09:49 AM
Not too hard to prove.

There is a gun for each person in this country even the children.

And...our crime rate is not the lowest in the world

Done.

Too damn easy.
Wow, who knew proving things was soo easy, and here I let science make me think it was hard work that required testable premises with conclusions that follow from them with no contradiction showing nearly perfect correlation and no inconsistencies. Man science is tough, they even want me to preemptively address any possible criticism that could arise against my theory.

Pew!

no photo
Wed 01/16/13 09:38 AM

Rape is wrong for the same reason all preemptive violence/force is wrong. It violates the rights of the individual.

Although the comparison is not there.

The point of the thread was that when a man gets raped by a women, there is never NEVER anyone to say he asked for it by how he dressed, how he spoke, how he acted, etc...

Mind you, it missed all of the respondents on the thread also that no one said this.
I dont think so. Preemptive force is the problem amongst both topics, and they are intimately connected.

It seems to me that the main narrative we hear is one that has stopped asking these questions. It assumes they are answered.

Is it ok to get what you want through preemptive force? Either yes, or no. If it is not ok to rape, which is the act of forced sex, then it is not ok to disarm someone who has harmed no one with that weapon. That person may just be the women defending herself from the preemptive violence of rape and the possibility of death.

Regarding guns, the rights of a gun toter should not outweigh the rights of those who do not want to have their children shot by said gun toter or his family or friends or whoever steals his gun. Comparison is not there.

You assume much to get to this from just the fact that a gun is owned and being carried.

You are failing to ask questions, you believe you have all the anwsers already. Its a shame.

What would it take to disarm America? Preemptive force regardless of any crimes committed by the individuals involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-aggression_principle

The non-aggression principle (NAP)—also called the non-aggression axiom, the zero aggression principle (ZAP), the anti-coercion principle, or the non-initiation of force—is a moral stance which asserts that aggression is inherently illegitimate. NAP and property rights are closely linked, since what aggression is depends on what a person's rights are.[1] Aggression, for the purposes of NAP, is defined as the initiation or threatening of violence against a person or legitimately owned property of another. Specifically, any unsolicited actions of others that physically affect an individual’s property or person, no matter if the result of those actions is damaging, beneficial, or neutral to the owner, are considered violent or aggressive when they are against the owner’s free will and interfere with his right to self-determination or the principle of self-ownership.

no photo
Wed 01/16/13 09:24 AM
have some more hypocrisy!

"Whoever thinks the ad is about President Obama's daughters are missing the point completely or they're trying to change the subject," said spokesman Andrew Arulanandam. "This ad is about keeping our children safe. And the president said he was skeptical about the NRA proposal to put policemen in all schools in this country. Yet he and his family are beneficiaries of multiple law enforcement officers surrounding them 24 hours a day."

White House spokesman Jay Carney shot back that the ad is "cowardly."

"Most Americans agree that a president's children should not be used as pawns in a political fight," he said. "But to go so far as to make the safety of the President's children the subject of an attack ad is repugnant and cowardly."

Naw, presidents children are more important than citizens.
Naw, you cant mention children when it comes to moving forward your argument, but we can!

Anti-Gunners want their cake and eat it, and sell it to someone else to buy more cake all at the same time.

no photo
Tue 01/15/13 03:52 PM

I think you bring up a good point? Who are the bad guys? My niece married a good guy but when he started drinking and having domestic squabbles; he threatened to shoot her and the kids with his rifle. The police removed weapons immediately and he is banned from ever owning a weapon again.
So long as the standard of evidence is high, I agree with removing weapons from a person who threatens preemptive violence against others.

Actually this is a problem here in the US, both our standards of evidence are often inconsistent, we also often disregard serious threats.

no photo
Tue 01/15/13 03:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feWQjph-bBM

Really gets started about 8 minutes in.

no photo
Tue 01/15/13 03:32 PM
VERY interesting.

1 2 3 5 7 8 9 24 25