no photo
Tue 01/15/13 03:24 PM

Whether he is homosexual or not don't matter.

No one deserves to have sex forced upon them (rape). By either sex.

:thumbsup:

Like Andy said, its not rocket science. I think everyone knows what a violent crime is.

And for your information, rape is not about sex, it is about violence.

frustrated

So What is the point of this thread anyway?

I'll add that if the guy had been carrying a semi-automatic hand gun, I doubt if anyone would have gotten away with a gang rape.

I don't know if a gun would have helped in this place as the article reads he was lured into a building so it sounds like he knew these people. Either way; its a horrible thing to happen and I hope they throw the book at these animals.
It all depends on the situation. If they thought to check him for a gun, then maybe not, if not, then it is often true you can find a moment to pull forth your equalizer. What is always true, is that without a weapon 4 on 1 is not good odds.

I agree. I am just saying that from the article; it sounds like he knew the people and was caught off guard with them. A baseball bat would have been a nice equalizer too. bigsmile
I hear ya, but when you are at the moment in the ambush when you realize you have been ambushed, if you still have time to do something it is far more likely you can pull a gun out of a hidden place, than a bat.

. . and I know that this is not your point. My point is that we want good guys to have weapons to protect themselves, even those of us who seek to ban guns would want one if they found themselves in that situation and thought they could use it to save themselves or their loved ones.

The problem that we ALL have with guns in society is making sure that only the good guys have them.

The problems we face are numerous, the two biggest ones: how do you tell who is a bad guy; How do you keep bad guys from getting a small easily concealable item

History is full of examples of governments trying and failing to be able to prevent people from getting easily concealable items, usually at great cost.

It seems to me that the main narrative we hear is one that has stopped asking these questions. It assumes they are answered.

no photo
Tue 01/15/13 03:17 PM

Freedom of religion.

If however you have something other than there religion to show they were bad choices . . . I am all ears.

I don't fault a person for their choices of worship even tho I am agnostic, however, I would like someone guarding my homeland that is from my homeland!

"Kareem Shora, a devout Muslim, who was born in Damascus, Syria,"

One foreigner in a position of power in this country is too many!
HEY! Now that I can get behind!

no photo
Tue 01/15/13 03:16 PM

Let me translate. We do not like the false narrative the other side is putting forward, they are rewriting history. Lets rewrite history to favor us, make us look like the heroic mavericks, that way the narrative favors us . . .

Thanks for the assist.... I was in Nam instead of high school so I'm not so eloquent in my own narrative
Np, you nailed it more succinctly than I did!

no photo
Tue 01/15/13 02:13 PM

Whether he is homosexual or not don't matter.

No one deserves to have sex forced upon them (rape). By either sex.

:thumbsup:

Like Andy said, its not rocket science. I think everyone knows what a violent crime is.

And for your information, rape is not about sex, it is about violence.

frustrated

So What is the point of this thread anyway?

I'll add that if the guy had been carrying a semi-automatic hand gun, I doubt if anyone would have gotten away with a gang rape.

I don't know if a gun would have helped in this place as the article reads he was lured into a building so it sounds like he knew these people. Either way; its a horrible thing to happen and I hope they throw the book at these animals.
It all depends on the situation. If they thought to check him for a gun, then maybe not, if not, then it is often true you can find a moment to pull forth your equalizer. What is always true, is that without a weapon 4 on 1 is not good odds.

no photo
Tue 01/15/13 02:12 PM
Freedom of religion.

If however you have something other than there religion to show they were bad choices . . . I am all ears.

no photo
Tue 01/15/13 02:11 PM
Let me translate. We do not like the false narrative the other side is putting forward, they are rewriting history. Lets rewrite history to favor us, make us look like the heroic mavericks, that way the narrative favors us . . .

no photo
Tue 01/15/13 12:37 PM
Elected to the U.S. Senate in November after three terms in the House, Connecticut Democrat Christopher Murphy took the National Rifle Association to task today over its newly-released target practice app that allows iPhone users to hone their shooting skills.

Murphy characterized the timing of the app’s release as highly insensitive in a letter to NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre and Apple CEO Tim Cook.

“The NRA seems intent on continuing to insult the families of the victims of Sandy Hook,” Murphy wrote. “How could they think it was a good idea to use the one month anniversary of the tragedy at Sandy Hook to release a game that teaches four-year-olds to shoot assault weapons? No matter what outrageous new tool they use, the NRA cannot make a straight-faced case that sport shooters need military-style weapons to enjoy their hobby.”

When Murphy was in the House, he represented Connecticut’s 5th District, which includes Sandy Hook and Newtown.

The freshman senator also called on the NRA and Apple to rethink its ratings for the app, which is classified as suitable for children 4 and up.

A message seeking comment from the NRA was left with its public affairs office Tuesday by Hearst Newspapers.

You just cant make this stuff up.

no photo
Tue 01/15/13 11:50 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Tue 01/15/13 11:51 AM
“Is this some kind of sick joke?” asked one user known as Papershipsonfire. “The NRA complains about violent games and then releases one a week later. Sure you’re not shooting humans but does it really matter?”
Yes it does matter, the word violence means something, and if no one is being hurt, or being portrayed being hurt then no violence has been done, nor portrayed.

Now while the argument that portrayals of violence cause violence may be flawed, no where in this rebuttal to the NRA will you actually find anything in the way of a real argument.

“What a dumb move,” posted Mansonr6. “Good luck getting anyone to take your video game theory serious after this.”

Just rage and tu quoque. It would be one thing to link a few people's comments, but then move into the meat of the story . . . like if there is any real evidence that portrayals of violence affect the incidence of violence. Yea, right.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/15/16524425-nra-releases-practice-range-shooting-app-after-blaming-video-games-for-violence?lite

I really wish more people cared enough to really engage in an argument and actually avoid the dishonest lazy approach of just tossing out any rhetoric that sounds good to a Jersey Shore audience.

no photo
Tue 01/15/13 11:34 AM
Rape is wrong for the same reason all preemptive violence/force is wrong. It violates the rights of the individual.

Conceptually it is interesting to see those that are quick to remove other rights fight for this same autonomy, use the same language, point out the same absurd conclusions of not respecting those rights, but then fail to see the comparisons.

no photo
Tue 01/15/13 08:21 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Tue 01/15/13 08:30 AM

You sure sang a different tune about buying health insurance.

Funny enough, I was going to say the same about the OP and anyone who agrees with him. You b*tch and moan about health insurance, but want everyone to be forced to buy a gun or pay a fine? Interesting.
That is if we were really intereted in such a piece of legislation being passed.

Cant speak for the OP, but I would fight against any kind of registration of non-gun owners as much as I would for gun owners.

The unintended consequence would be the opposite of what we would want, registering non-gun owners is really registering gun owners at the same time. Whats left over and all that . . .

Also, the idea that we should tax people based on their life styles to me is offensive to my sense of liberty.

HOWEVER, the absurdity is HILARIOUS! Seeing the contradictions form as people argue against this legislation all the while arguing for things like a sugar tax in NY, or universal health care mandates and the list goes on.

It really goes to show you bad ideas abound, it is almost natural for humans to want to tinker with a system, but far too few are equipped to think past there own rhetoric.

no photo
Tue 01/15/13 08:17 AM

what needs to be done is people need to wake up and be willing to fight for what is right. if we all stand together it would be over in a matter of days, since we vastly outnumber "them". Are you willing to fight, loose everything, and mabe die for what you believe in? I am. This is way past dealing with congressman. that doesent work in case you missed it. If it is unconstitutional, then i have no obligation to obey the law.. like for example all 20,000 gun laws already on the books.
It does work. The USSC ruled the 2nd amendment a personal right. The original AWB couldn't pass until a sunset went in place. The DiFi renewed AWB is so over the top there is no way it can pass without being neutered first.

Sorry, I am not one of those foaming at the mouth types calling for the first shots of a new civil war to be waged. I am more of the calmer heads will prevail type, and try to take advice from the likes of Sun Tzu, not Alex Jones or James Yeager.

Don't hasten the day. We can work from within the system still despite the fear mongering.

i have been in this fight since before you were around, and i see that every year they ratchet up the tyranny, like the frog in hot water. when is enough enough??? What time during being opressed and having your rights Taken away on the installment plan DO YOU ACT? After they take your hi cap mags? Do you wait until they ban pump action shotguns? pistols? UNTIL WE STAND IN A ROW THEY WILL CONTINUE MY FRIEND.
Since you have had so many years to consider the problem, ask yourself the same question.

when is enough enough??? What time during being opressed and having your rights Taken away on the installment plan DO YOU ACT?
So reading this makes me think you came to the conclusion that actions beyond working from within the system were needed long ago . . . . what have you done?

no photo
Tue 01/15/13 08:08 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Tue 01/15/13 08:11 AM

where manufactures and government could work together to financially bully people into purchasing their products

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAHHAAH . . . . . AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Bwhahahahahahaha!

All kinds of products are forced on us by the government right now. Plenty of them that you support!

LOL

proper training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTPReonNp-0Like this?

Srry, the glorification of the Military is part of the problem. I can just about guarantee short of the spec ops groups, I have more training, and can score better with most weapons than the average guy in the military.

no photo
Mon 01/14/13 08:17 AM
Edited by Bushidobillyclub on Mon 01/14/13 08:18 AM

what needs to be done is people need to wake up and be willing to fight for what is right. if we all stand together it would be over in a matter of days, since we vastly outnumber "them". Are you willing to fight, loose everything, and mabe die for what you believe in? I am. This is way past dealing with congressman. that doesent work in case you missed it. If it is unconstitutional, then i have no obligation to obey the law.. like for example all 20,000 gun laws already on the books.
It does work. The USSC ruled the 2nd amendment a personal right. The original AWB couldn't pass until a sunset went in place. The DiFi renewed AWB is so over the top there is no way it can pass without being neutered first.

Sorry, I am not one of those foaming at the mouth types calling for the first shots of a new civil war to be waged. I am more of the calmer heads will prevail type, and try to take advice from the likes of Sun Tzu, not Alex Jones or James Yeager.

Don't hasten the day. We can work from within the system still despite the fear mongering.

no photo
Mon 01/14/13 07:48 AM

Oh and there will be compromise, you will see.

The gun banning will not happen as that is a fearmongering ploy used to inspire people to go buy more guns as told by the NRA itself in a recent interview.

But there will be new laws.

Hickenlooper here is going to make so ALL gun sales have to have checks. I approve of that. It doesn't go far enough but baby steps baby steps and it'll be what it should be eventually.

You are probably right. New gun laws will be compromised into the books. However what they achieve in the long run might make you sad.

The net effect after the AWB in the 90's was that more conservative seats went to pro gun pro 2nd amendment supporters. If you look at the demographics of gun ownership you will see they do favor conservatives, however the fence sitting democrats who favor social issues that most conservatives do not WILL vote to keep gun rights.

15 years after the AWB of the 90's gun laws are less strict than they have been, USSC ruling's have all been 2nd friendly since then.

The net effect of irrational gun control is that 15 years later we have a better position, stronger support, and more moderates than we had before.

no photo
Mon 01/14/13 07:28 AM

its the culture

they live to see another day

Id much rather the environment where people brawl without guns and walk away, than one where people and children are being buried after being around them,,,

neither is DESIRABLE,, but one is still MORE desirable than the other,, to Piers and Myself
Not me, I would rather an environment where the meek, the weak, the old, the infirm, the crippled, and the kind dont have to worry that some person stronger, more malevolent, and willing to use other weapons indiscriminately cannot protect themselves.

To me when you increase the risk of death to the perpetrator that is wounding, maiming, crippling those weaker than he/she, it is a good thing.

no photo
Mon 01/14/13 07:21 AM

According to Senator Feinstein, so-called assault weapons have been used in 385 murders since the AWB expired in 2004, or about 48 murders per year.

But there were 8,583 total murders with guns in the United States in 2011, meaning so-called assault weapons were used 0.6% of the time.

This represents a decrease in murders from so-called assault weapons compared to the decade when the AWB was in effect, even though such weapons are more common today.

Further illustrating the small role so-called assault weapons play in crime, FBI data shows that 323 murders were committed with rifles of any kind in 2011. In comparison, 496 murders were commited with hammers and clubs, and 1,694 murders were perpetrated with knives.

To the extent that so-called assault weapons like the AR-15 are used in gun crimes, the rifle's popularity must be considered.

In addition to the AR-15, James Holmes used America's best-selling shotgun at the Aurora movie theater shooting.

At the Virginia Tech and Tuscon shootings, Seung-Hui Cho and Jared Loughner used America's best-selling handgun.

All else being equal, a gun that is commonly owned is more likely to be used for legal or illegal purposes than a gun that is rarely owned.Outlawing guns that are popular today will only make different guns popular tomorrow.

Nevertheless, gun prohibitionists continue to target AR-15 rifles and their owners—not because these firearms have any inordinate capability, but because the anti-gun lobby has invested more than two decades convincing the American people that "weapons of war" must be banned, regardless of whether such a ban would have a measurable impact on public safety, and despite the fact that real weapons of war have already been banned for nearly three decades.

The truth about assault weapons is that there is no such thing.

There are semi-automatic weapons, which are the firearms of choice for millions of law-abiding Americans.

To ban specific semi-automatic firearms because of their cosmetic features is ignorant.

Like prohibition, the United States has gone down this road before.

It didn't work then, and it won't work now.

A ban on so-called assault weapons is the first step toward a ban on all semi-automatic firearms.

Contact your legislators, and tell them the truth about assault weapons.

To ban specific semi-automatic firearms because of their cosmetic features is ignorant.

Like prohibition, the United States has gone down this road before.

It didn't work then, and it won't work now.

A ban on so-called assault weapons is the first step toward a ban on all semi-automatic firearms.

http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-locally/grassroots/write-your-reps.aspx

QFT

no photo
Mon 01/14/13 07:16 AM
Another little fact that I thought was interesting.

Further illustrating the small role so-called assault weapons play in crime, FBI data shows that 323 murders were committed with rifles of any kind in 2011. In comparison, 496 murders were commited with hammers and clubs, and 1,694 murders were perpetrated with knives.

At what point do we stop going to the ball games and start fighting for our rights? Fredom isnt free and anyone that is trying to take guns is the enemy. any questions? if so i refer you to the founding fathers and thier unusually good insight on this matter.

What exactly do you think needs to be done? Be specific.

Have you written to your representatives? What other steps would you take?

no photo
Mon 01/14/13 06:57 AM
What makes those facts even more interesting is that is grouped by homicide, not murder. That means that justified defensive homicide is grouped in there, not just unjustified murders.

Good guys taking out someone invading their homes may have killed the guy (homicide) but did not murder him.

no photo
Fri 01/11/13 01:21 PM

I was Military police and we were taught the same thing. I think most cops are taught that but usually don't make it a public statement. There are a lot of unpredictable people out there and one can never be too careful.whoa
One can never be too careful?

I think one can be too careful when being careful is preemptive violence.

no photo
Fri 01/11/13 01:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=ky49ltgeXRU&feature=endscreen

1 2 3 4 6 8 9 10 24 25