Community > Posts By > Gwendolyn2009

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Wed 01/12/11 06:22 PM
I guess for everyone who gets annoyed at andy's post dont read it if you dont like it.

At the expense of inserting logic here, how would one know if he/she were offended if he/she didn't read the post?

Andy wants someone to love him and not to use him up finacially is there anything wrong with him stating that however he wishes on his post.

Isn't that what most people want? And he is free to state anything that he wishes in his posts, but by the same token, others are free to dispute what he says, eh?

Frankly by raw statistics alone I could show overwhelming proportions of functional vs, dysfunctional people by a very generalized yardstick and also a host of very narrow measures. When I see Jerry Springer stuff LIVE I got to wonder.

The question of functional vs dysfunctional was not the question! The topic is women seeking successful men. Jerry Springer is not a valid source.

Oddly I was just out for a discussion no the topic but some people get very defensive.

I suppose this is directed at me. Defensive is a misnomer: it is more of pointing out fallacies when I see them.

As for the Triangle Factory fire, as a serious student of history, I don't need to read an article to be aware of inhumane treatment of humans. Although it is further back in time, I have extensively studied the persecution of people (mainly women) as witches, the stamping out of heretics, genocide, and slavery. I can log into Yayhoo and read about such matters.

My best friend from childhood was shot to death by her druggie boyfriend in front of their three year old daughter and another child. It marked her family for the rest of their lives. The daughter is still alive, though I haven't seen her in years; I would wager she still dreams about it.

I have not escaped unscathed by things in my life, but I move forward, not back.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Wed 01/12/11 01:04 PM
Edited by Gwendolyn2009 on Wed 01/12/11 01:07 PM

As Usual she sticks her foot in her mouth.

I wish this woman would learn to speak English.

I have never liked Palin; I don't mean that I don't like or agree with her political views, but from what I have seen of her, I just don't like her.

I don't dislike people for being stupid or ignorant, but I do dislike it when ignorance masquerades as intelligence and "truth."

Palin is spiteful and petty. Her exchange with a teacher in Alaska who opposed her politics showed the maturity of a seventh grade--literally! Her sotto voce comment about Michelle Obama was petty (I don't have a TV and wouldn't watch her reality show if I did, but I saw a clip online).

I think Palin's exposure in the media is becoming overexposure for her but benefits her opponents. We have really had a chance to see what type of person she is.

Let her keep talking: the more she puts her foot in her mouth, the better.

Looks as if this has nothing to do with Palin....looks as if Loughner had a fixation on Gabrielle since 2007 at least......there was a letter from this politician to Loughner thanking him for his attendence at one of her functions in a safe from 2007 that he wrote die ***** on it.....

Palin is not responsible for the actions of Loughner, but she is responsible for fomenting hatred and divisiveness during a time when Americans should pull together. She is not concerned with what is truly best for the US, but what is best for Sarah Palin.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Wed 01/12/11 12:52 PM
Edited by Gwendolyn2009 on Wed 01/12/11 12:56 PM
Your not too observant are you?Were casting the first stone huh?Maybe you should look at the hundreds of topics started and see which group is throwing stones.

Christians just like anyone else has the right to defend their religion which is attacked 24/7 in here.Maybe you and others should try being in our shoes for a month and see how you like the lies,insults,attacks,and hypocritical statements made towards you.

My first reply on this forum was
If I imagining this scenario, I would simply imagine them away to the cornfield.

Simple, eh?

I also notice that you only allow for the actions of men in this scenario. I guess that women are merely the pawn of the strongest man.

If that is "casting the first stone," then I suggest that the Christian replying in the caustic manner he replied review the scripture "an eye for an eye." This means that the "punishment" shouldn't be more severe than the "crime." His reply was insulting not only to me, but to women in general.

As for being observant about the actions of Christians and others, I have replied to three or four forums on this site and haven't had enough experience HERE to make a judgment on how often Christians are "attacked." However, I have been very observant in real life, and I have found many, not all, Christians to be pushy and uncaring about the rights and beliefs of others.

I have never gone door-to-door handing out religious tracts trying to get people to believe what I believe. I have never approached total strangers in restaurants to tell them the good news of Jesus Christ. I have never stood on a street corner preaching to the people passing by. I have never told my neighbor or friend that he/she should believe what I believe. I have never stopped my car in the middle of the road to tell someone working in his/her yard about Jesus. I have never told ONE person that he/she should be executed because he/she didn't believe like me. I have never stood outside a funeral home, shouting horrible things to the bereaved. I have never told a gay person that he/she should suffer for being gay. I have never advocated one religion over another. I have never tried to abridge someone's constitutional rights because he/she is of a certain faith, nor lobbied to make my belief a law of the land.

I have never had an atheist, a Buddhist, an agnostic, or a Jew judge me for my beliefs rather than who I am as a person. I have never had any of these people tell me that I should be stripped of my citizenship because of my beliefs, or that my "religion" shouldn't be protected by the US Constitution because it isn't a "real" faith.

I HAVE been in the shoes of Christians, not only when I was in a church for over a decade, but wearing other pairs of shoes as a pagan.

I can say from personal experience that prejudice and bias against me as a pagan has been much higher than than when I was a Christian. And ALL that prejudice and bias came from Christians!

In addition, the OP who slung the stones in this forum wasn't defending his religion! My original statement made NO slur on anyone's faith, eh? In fact, it didn't even mention religion! However, if one claims to be a Christian, one should abide by the tenets of Christianity, which includes walking an extra mile, turning the other cheek, and being Christlike.

Christians are usually not "martyred" for their faith, especially not in the US and even more so in these forums. They assume a sense of righteousness and anyone who disagrees is a persecutor.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Tue 01/11/11 09:28 PM

Actually no, I am drawing from a number of other's personal experiences as well as my own.

Let me qualify "personal experience": that is experience you have gained from your own experience, but also the experiences of people whom you know.

It means that you are not a professional researcher who has spent years doing studies and surveys.

I could list MY experiences, but that is only what they would be: limited, but contrary to yours.

What is worst is being made to feel like I am culpable for my father's sins when I didn't commit them. The things some people say touch all the wrong chords in me. Same with people's actions.

You aren't responsible for your father's sins, but dude, you have a chip on your shoulder so large that I can see it from here. You are so defensive that you go on the offensive.

When people "say things," you ALLOW, perhaps even welcome, those things to irritate your chords. No one is responsible for you how you feel but YOU.

Now you go on to mention the whole equality issue I have, let me put this into perspective here, My Grandmother on my Father's side of the family was a Lowell Girl. the reason she did not get killed with the others was she was home sick and her family refused to let her go to work. She told me stories about how Italians were treated in New York back in the day. Back then Irish and Italians were lower than Negros on the sale of humanity. They were slaves AFTER the Blacks were freed in this country!

I am not familiar with "Lowell" girls, so that means nothing to me, but I am not sure in which perspective you are trying to place "equality."

My problem is that the oppressed become the oppressors. Likewise I feel there is way too much overcompensation on both sides and this is just screwing everything up.

It isn't YOUR problem: it is everyone's problem.

I have lived in the shadow of nothing but dysfunction.

Cry me a river: you are not the only one who can state that. At some point, we either grow up and deal with our pasts, or we continue to let the past rule us.

You seem to be in the latter segment.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Tue 01/11/11 09:17 PM

Hmmm. Does the depth of a belly button correlate with the amount of lint?

I dunno, my knowledge base doesn't encompass belly button lint. Is your theory that the deeper the navel, the more lint, or vice-versa?

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Tue 01/11/11 09:14 PM
Edited by Gwendolyn2009 on Tue 01/11/11 09:14 PM

So what did I say that was sexist? I'm still waiting on that. If you are still having your hissy fit, I'll wait until you are done.

As with the other forum, I am finished until you find something creative and interesting. My boredom tolerance is low and was actually passed some time ago.

And I cannot abide a hypocrite, especially one who professes to be Christlike.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Tue 01/11/11 09:09 PM
Now the belief that you think there is no God...is your belief. It may or may not be true. And just because you say it does not make it so.

But Shining, this is a circular argument! Just because a person says there is a god does not make it so, eh?

Recognizing that those particular legends are indeed man-made myths in no way translates into a disbelieve in spirituality in general. On the contrary, the Eastern Mystical philosophies which are clearly not mythologies hold far more merit as being the most likely representation of any possible spiritual essence to reality.

So all I'm really saying is that well-thought-out religious philosophies like Eastern Mysticism most likely have far more merit and usefulness to us than religious mythologies and fables of jealous godheads that came from the Middle Eastern part of the world where such man-made myths were clearly commonplace.

It is my opinion that the vast majority of Christians are Christian because their parents, grandparents, and so on, were Christians. They rarely seriously examine their belief in the Bible or whether Jesus is truly "god." This holds true of other religions, as well.

The reason why they argue so vociferously about the historical validity of the Bible is because if it is proven to be untrue, what happens to their beliefs? Mind you, I mean fundies: there are liberal Christians who view the Bible as largely symbolic.

An atheist would call me silly, but Taoism makes more sense than does Christianity; reincarnation also makes more sense than either an eternal place of bliss or torture.

I had a student in a mythology class who had been in a very serous car accident and lost all of her memory. She had to relearn EVERYTHING. She didn't even recognize her parents. She and I were talking about myth and religion, and she said that her parents told her that she had been raised as a Christian and had attended Sunday School.

She then said that she found the idea of god "ridiculous"; she could hardly believe that once she had bought into Christian ideology.

I found that VERY interesting!

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Tue 01/11/11 07:43 AM
I dunno, my ex-husband had a brow ridge.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Tue 01/11/11 07:42 AM
In addition, OP, you take an old, worn-out scenario and play it again. Your creativity and originality are sorely lacking.

Why not come up with a TOTALLY new, non-rhetorical question that has not been asked hundreds of times? I know that your question might seem fresh and new to you, but to those of us who are old and have been dabbling in the religious pond for some time, it is merely old hat.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Tue 01/11/11 07:34 AM
Edited by Gwendolyn2009 on Tue 01/11/11 07:39 AM
Did I hurt your little feelings?

Why don't you post what I said that was sexist, so that everyone can see. Or maybe you just want to cry about it...

Sarcasm and satire completely miss you, huh? I blame the public school system.

In this medium, I never assume that people are trying to be sarcastic. There is no way that I can see facial expressions or hear tone of voice; therefore, unless I "know" someone, I take what they say at face value.

And while what you said might have been sarcastic, it wasn't satirical.

I have read several of your posts. You do not write in a clear, logical manner that expresses your exact intents. Knowing this, I tend even more to take what you say at face value; I am certainly not going to dig for your meaning.

I also find it interesting that while saying I wrote an ad hominem attack on you in another forum, you find it perfectly acceptable for you to actually launch ad hominem attacks on me--personally directed at me and not a larger, general group.

Your continued, personal, vitriolic statements do let me know that I have hit you hard.

Jesus would be proud of you there, boy. In fact, I bet he is sitting up in heaven, laughing his *** off. I wager he even has a scoreboard, and is keeping a tally of how many times you zing me.

Matthew 5:38-40
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.

I don't see in this passage where it says, "Come back at them hard, and be sure to use sarcasm and insult them." Oh, but you are human, aren't you? And humans make mistakes. (That is sarcasm.)

Abracadabra wrote:
Is it typical of Christians to go around insulting people?

Is this type of behavior supported by Christianity or Jesus?

Abracadabra, I find insults from Christians to fly quite freely in these forums, and usually, they throw the first stone. I cannot fathom how they can take the command to be "Christlike" and yet be so insulting. I suppose that they think they are chasing the money lenders from the Temple.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Tue 01/11/11 07:26 AM

Thank You

You are very welcome. If there is anything else about which I can set you straight, just let me know.

I live only to serve humankind and to promote manifest destiny within religious parameters.

(Um, that last part is a joke for anyone who wants to take it seriously.)

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Tue 01/11/11 07:23 AM

You stated that those who believe in Noah's Flood are illogical. That's a Ad Hominem Abusive. You didn't make any arguments to support your assertion that Noah's flood never happened, you merely claimed that those who believe are illogical.

I can stand a lot, but what I can't stand is someone who refuses to own their own words.

As you say, I said that "those" who don't believe in the flood are illogical: for my words to be an ad hominem "attack," I would have said, "YOU are stupid for believing in the flood."

As for me not giving evidence contrary to the flood, I wrote quite a bit about the flood myths in other posts. If you didn't bother to read them, I sure the heck am not going to take the time to go through it again.

However, the idea that a man built an ark, put every animal in existence on the boat, then the firmaments opened and it rained for 40 days, flooding the entire earth is not logical.

As someone else stated and as I stated, there is NO fossil record that such a flood ever happened. I already went into the scientific, not mythical, reasons for why there are fossils on top of mountains.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Mon 01/10/11 09:24 PM
Edited by Gwendolyn2009 on Mon 01/10/11 09:35 PM
1st off i nudged you after i had a profile view. i was being nice. i have no interest.

Therein speaks the man whose "interest" was not requited.

I have been through the bible belt talking and chatting with ministers Drs. of Theology and many other avenues.

Ohhhh! That certainly qualifies you as an expert! Did you know that many people who have theology degrees get them from nonaccredited schools? The ones who go to to well-respected and accredited universities do not teach/preach in the Bible Belt.

But heck, I LIVE in the Bible Belt! I have not been impressed with any ministers whom I have met, especially the one who didn't know the meaning of the words "pagan" or "polytheistic."

Miles, your beliefs are "out there" even more than mine are.

Also, some of your posts are impossible to read and understand. For example, the one to which this one is a reply is so garbled that I can't understand what you say and what I was supposed to have said.

Sloppy writing is indicative of a sloppy, disorganized mind. But don't feel too bad about this: most people who post in these forums are the same.

You apperently do not understand the Scriptures were written mostly in the 1st century and by Hebrew authors.

Why do you assume that I don't know who wrote the Christian Scriptures and when they were written?

By the way, the Christian Scriptures were largely written in Greek by highly Hellenized Jews. The Pauline scriptures were written for a Greek audience.

I am always learning and I learn from these boards and posts.. try it.. Shalom..Miles

I consistently seek new knowledge, but no one on these boards has said anything that I haven't heard or read elsewhere--except for those who are obviously delusional and whose ideas give me a chuckle, but whom I can't take seriously.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Mon 01/10/11 09:17 PM
Honestly, I don't see why a woman couldn't do any of the options I listed, but since you think that women are pretty much helpless without a man around...

And you are not aware enough to know that I was pointing out your sexism.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Mon 01/10/11 09:12 PM

Logical Fallacy: Ad Hominem Abusive.

Ya know, I can stand a lot, but I can't stand the lack of creativity and originality.

I didn't attack you; I dismissed your claim of the existence of a flood.

Yawn.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Mon 01/10/11 09:08 PM
Everyone is a deep thinker in their own rights,

No, they aren't. This goes along with the idea that everyone has a talent or gift of something that they do well.

Not everyone does.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Mon 01/10/11 01:33 PM

If it is determinded that his Little Head is Mentally Challenged?

Even in jest, what a stupid thing to ask.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Mon 01/10/11 01:32 PM
Now as far as me being capricious? Gwendolyn my dear, I have been around a lot more than you might anticipate. I have seen friends of mine have to deal with the afore mentioned BS where they get dragged into being a House Husband becasue of the costs of Child care and the two incomes not being able to cope but since the wife's income was better the role reversal allowed them to save money. Now taking care of kids is a lot more than shoveling snow. So is doing those "Once in a rare while things."

Unfortunately some people here are looking at things in the shallowest and easiest terms to justify their ideals. Well, sh** happens and some of it is bad. Men OR women who rely on excuses and sit on their ***** are worthless. All too often I see men who take on minimum wage jobs becasue that is ALL that is available to keep the money coming in and thy are treated like SH** just the same. It sucks to go from 60K plus a year to 28K a year becasue the job market took a total crap. But a man with a work ethic will do what he can to keep the money coming in.

Like I said if a man is not doing anything of value for the house he is worthless. But if he is taking care of the house as in SHE comes home to a clean house, dinner waiting for her, and she doesn't have to lift a finger at home becasue it is ALL being taken care of then SHUT UP! I am not making excuses. I just don't like hypocrisy! Welcome to the new millennium and equality. Role Reversal is a Biitch isn't it???

You are relying on your personal experience, which is just YOUR experience. My experience runs contrary, and my experience is just as valid as yours. I have not seen men "dragged" into being "house husbands." Even if those situations exist, men have the ability to just say "no," don't they? Or are the so *****-whipped that they can't refuse?

I have, however, seen men take on responsibilities of child rearing or taking primary care for housekeeping BECAUSE they wanted to do so. However, these men are far in the minority and, again, the main responsibility of caring for kids and the house rest on the woman.

You also introduced aspects that were not in your first post about a man slaving away to put an engine in a car and not being appreciated because he isn't making his half of the rent. If circumstances exist where a man can't get a job making decent wages, that is one thing; with the recession, it is understandable, but that wasn't overtly stated in your complaint.

Why is role reversal a *****? If that is true, then NO woman has ever been happy or fulfilled in not working outside the home. If a man doesn't feel happy or fulfilled in doing so, he should leave the marriage. Ditto for a woman who works and resents it.

I am single at present, but I am dating a man who makes ten times as much money as I do. If we live together (I can't see marrying), I will continue to work. And to your sarcastic question, I welcome the new millennium and equality. I saw my mother and too many other women of her--and my--generation suffer because of inequality.

If women want to stay home and not work, they need to marry a like-minded man: if a man thinks it is his role to work, then let him find a women who thinks the same. Both types still exist.

Simple, eh?

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Mon 01/10/11 01:12 PM

But another trait to be deep or intelligent is knowing that you cant view this one sidedly and from one point of perspective to uderstand things in life and people you have to look at them from more than 1 side

I think that the ability to see things from more than one angle is a type of intelligence, but it does not define "intelligent" as a whole. I do see this ability as the trait of a "deep" thinker and as a step toward wisdom.

I will give an example to understand the cold war you have to do research in an American history book and Russian history book and a Switz history book

so you have 2 biased accounts of history a neutral one only then after reading all 3 are you allowed to make an inform decision on what went on

The Japanese consider the Americans as the aggressors in WWII. Julius Caesar wrote accounts of the Celts/Druids that people accept without considering that the Celts were Caesar's enemies.

Grasshopper Okami04, you take a step toward wisdom.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Mon 01/10/11 01:04 PM

And not only that, there is nothing new or original in the Bible: one only needs to study archetypal myth to know that.

Logical Fallacy: Ignoring a Common Cause

You assume that the Hebrews stole from previous cultures, when both groups of beliefs could originate from the same event.

Logical Fallacy: Begging the Question

You assume that the events in the Bible couldn't have happened and conclude that the story was stolen, instead of simply repeated in different cultures. (See "Ignoring a common Cause" above)

A not even logical fallacy: assuming that there was a flood.