Community > Posts By > Gwendolyn2009

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sun 07/25/10 01:43 PM
Why does it matter what others think? What matters is what YOU think. If you think that the dress looks great, it will look great. If you think it is too flashy and too young for you, you will be uncomfortable.

By the way, "They" forgot to give me the manual on how old women should dress, so I will dress as I like.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sun 07/25/10 01:41 PM
There is no such thing as psychic abilities. There is intuition and there are good guesses, but to be able to predict the future means that the future is set in stone, and it isn't.

And if it were, why bother to find out what is going to happen? If you are going to die tomorrow and can do nothing, why would you want to know?

Every "psychic" that I have known have been guessers. Some were better than others.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sun 07/25/10 01:39 PM
To say that time has passed anyone by is a ridiculous statement. We exist in spatial time and it is constantly passing by us; however, what WE do with that time is up to us.

Time passes by us; we let time pass us by.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Fri 05/14/10 07:58 PM

I once read a book called "More Than a Carpenter", it made a good point about Jesus. He could only be one of three things.

1. Lord
2. Liar
3. Lunatic

He claimed to be god in the flesh.

Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is. From now on, you do know him and have seen him!" Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied." Jesus replied, "Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don't know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking me to show him to you?" John 14:6-9

Having made this claim, break down the possible truths in it.
1. He was right and he knew it.
2. He was wrong and he knew it.
3. He was wrong but thought he was right.

Start with #2, the Liar possibility...

While it is possible, most liars would not suffer the fate he did while proclaiming the lie. He never cracked. He didn't back down at the trial before his crucifixion. Even on the cross, he cried out "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." Luke 23:34

If he was wrong I doubt he knew it... which leads to #3, the Lunatic.

Look at the Sermon on the Mount. It is regarded as one of the best sermons ever given by anyone. And it is more than just a sermon. Look at what was taught in it. It is a road map to a good life rivaling anything that modern psychology would teach as how to have a well rounded life. Could a lunatic have come up with this on his own 2000 years before the rest of the world could put it together?

That only leaves you with one choice left. he was right and he knew it...

Having said all this I must point out that I am not a christian. I was raised in the church and have studied many religions and find something lacking in them all; however, this book has stuck with me for the last fifteen or so years.

It is amusing that you accuse others of being illogical when you present so many logical fallacies.

First, the "either/or" fallacy of the three options--there are more:

4. He was a practical joker and never realized that things were getting out of hand.
5. Jesus never existed.
6. Jesus existed but the events surrounding his life and death are pure hyperbole; he was a good Jewish boy who would be shocked if he knew how he is presented now.
7. Jesus didn't die.
8. Jesus was a woman in drag.

Your possibility #2: Liar

Why was he lying? Was it for selfish gains or was it because he really wanted to "save" the Jews? In that case, he might have been more than willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good.

And he did try to back down; in the Garden of Gethsemane, he asked that the "cup of poison" be taken away from him.

As for your "lunatic" theory and the Sermon on the Mount: someone can be delusional and logical! There are brilliant people who suffer from mental illnesses.

According to the tenets of Christianity, Jesus' logic fails in this sermon. He says,

7:17 Even so every good tree brings forth good fruit; but a corrupt
tree brings forth evil fruit.

7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

But refer back to Yahweh creating the world and how evil came in. God, the "good tree," should only bring forth "good fruit," yet some of his creations are not so "good." Therefore, having brought forth "corrupt fruit," Yahweh must be corrupt.

That's logic.

He also says:

7:13 Enter you in at the narrow gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leads to destruction, and many there be which go in there:

7:14 Because narrow is the gate, and constricted is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.

So, few people will get their feet on the narrow path and find heaven, eh? That means that everyone who does not accept Jesus as savior is damned.

Believe or suffer: I will tolerate no one who does not acknowledge me as god. Yup, really logical and a plan for my life!

(And this is where he fed ALL those people with fish and bread. I buy into that, as well.)

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Fri 05/14/10 07:38 PM

Well supposedly John wrote that. That's not something that Jesus said, it's simply something that JOHN claims that Jesus said. John could have simply misunderstood what Jesus was trying to convey.

The Bible is nothing but opinionated hearsay. It doesn't even contain a single solitary word directly from Jesus. Not one single word. I fact, to claim that "Jesus Said" anything is a misrepresentation. Because the entire Bible is written as hearsay. What people really should be saying is "John Said", Or "Matthew Said", Or "Luke Said", etc.

It's actually false and incorrect to even say that the Bible contains the words of Jesus. It doesn't. It merely contains hearsay. It's a book of hearsay rumors.

By this logic, everything we know about much of history is a lie as well.

I am sure that most people know who Harriet Tubman was. She played a vital role in the Underground Railroad leading hundreds of slaves to freedom. She is frequently quoted and held as an important figure in American history. She could not read or write. Are you saying that because she never actually penned any of her own words that we should not believe she ever spoke? To claim that Harriet Tubman said anything is a misrepresentation? We cannot rely on anyone else to pass on messages she gave? Really?

Go back several hundred or thousand years, how much of the population was literate? Are you saying that the only truths we can find about a person are in that persons autobiography? We should not put any weight into what others say about them, only what they actually write about themselves? Really?

How far do you want to take this line of "logic"?

Your own logic is faulty and you compare two unlike circumstances. Harriet Tubman's existence is substantiated. Her actions were recorded by people CONCURRENT, living in the same time as she lived, and those people can largely be documented, as well.

The event in the Christians Scripture are substantiated ONLY in the Christian Scriptures. There is no independent evidence that Christ was put to death, that he rose again, or any of the other aspects of his life. In fact, it cannot be proven that Jesus lived.

Considering that the scriptures (if not all) were largely written AFTER the death of Jesus instead of as they took place, their accuracy is highly questionable; in fact, they only need to be compared for inaccuracies to know that. Paul never met Jesus, yet he was the prime mover in getting Christianity off the ground.

In addition, the CS are also suspect merely because they contain so many miraculous happenings that defy rationality. If someone said that Harriet Tubman picked up a train engine with her bare hands and threw it at Confederate troops, we would NOT believe it, would we?

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Wed 05/12/10 09:37 AM

I am not a dumb sheep by the way. Jesus taught Christians to think. If not then why would he say be as kind as doves and as cunning as snakes? Therefore all Christians are commanded to be smart. So I read and I listen. Even Job insists that "the ear tastes words like the moth tastes food". There are Bible verses that imply Jesus is like God, and verses that say he is not. Both ideas can be applied especially if they are taken out of context. Take the line he says "my father and I are one" and "he is in me and I in him." Taken out of context many christians deem this the end of the discussion, the proof of their heresy. If you read on, you will see soon after this he says, "us in them, and they in us" more or less. Now what? Do we also become Gods? If we go along with what is taught from today's christian pulpits we might as well assume this to be true. But no, we will never be gods, for God does not give his glory to another, he merely gives rewards, such as sitting at Jesus's right or left hand. Judge with righteous judgment. If you insist that believing Jesus is God is part of the Gospel, why don't you preach this when you are converting people on the streets? No, the Gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection, Jesus's blood sacrifice; why then once a man is in the church is the Trinity added to his message of salvation along with the insistance that he believe six days of creation, the opening of the Red Sea, a Virgin Birth, etc, etc, etc. What happened to the Gospel? Where is it? Lost among all the details that are not as important. The thief only possibly understood what was crucified before him, and that's all he needed to enter paradise. If you tell me I need to beleiev Jesus is God to be saved, you are asking me to trust in your own illegal wisdom, and I will never do this. I'd rather trust in Jesus and what he did for me. Like the serpent lifted up in the wilderness, those who did not look upon it died. I will not perish with you. Goodbye trinitarians. I have a highway waiting for me, it's called The Lord's Highway and only the sanctified can walk upon it. And only God decides what way is the right way to walk upon it. Not you. Heh.

Hmmm . . . You are "commanded" to be smart? How about knowledgeable? They are separate aspects. In addition, by your blanket statement, you exclude people with even average IQs from Christianity--not even to speak of mentally handicapped people.

How do you define "smart"?

Luke 18:16 states: "Then Jesus called for the children and said to the disciples, "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children," indicating that a high level of thinking skills is not only unnecessary, but not desired. Children born smart are smart, of course, but they have not yet developed long range executive thinking skills and other logical ways of thinking.

Of course, 1 Corinthians 13:11 contradicts that by saying: "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me."

So, which is it: reason like a child and attain heaven, or put childish reason aside and think like a man? (I am not a man, so that doesn't apply to me, anyway.)

Illegal wisdom??? Whoa, that's Nazi talk. Let's burn a few books.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Tue 05/11/10 07:10 PM

what is 666?how is it related to antichrist ?what does each 6
represent?(help needed from christians too)?

the devils number known as "tapu"

"666" is the number between 665 and 667--nothing more, nothing less.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Tue 05/11/10 07:10 PM

Is Jesus God?
Son of God only?
Both / a part of God?
Other?

Christians list scriptures & beliefs
Non-Christians reference your opinion own beliefs / religion scriptures.
All - be respectful with any comments. (no personal attacks)
Mods - please don't lock the thread, but monitor.

To answer your questions:

No.

No.

No.

No--if he existed, he was human

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Tue 05/11/10 07:08 PM

So I have been doing a lot of thinking, finding myself..that sort of stuff lately..why not post it here?
>
I'll start this off by saying I was very naive and almost unaware of the world around me until about six months ago. Up until that point everything had been so...stable, and structured. You go to school, you have your summer vacations, you worry if your cool or not, and at night when lying in bed you can actually fall asleep. I'm not sure if I miss those times, or if my new found apathy and judgment is just starting to take effect?

Like I said everything was as it had always been, up until 6 months ago. I was 20 years old I had been with the same girl for four years...i/5 of my current life hehe. So yeah, it was a big deal. This is were things begin to come crashing down. She left me on Christmas eve of 2009...for no apparent reason...(we will leave it at that this isn't about her). So I started to have really bad anxiety, not only did the marriage die, but the future I has always imagined as well. I began to feel myself crack at the seams...I once thought I was a concrete wall, unstoppable and unbreakable. Life now seemed like a candle, or a fragile piece of glass.

I began to wonder many things at that point, why are we here, whats my purpose, what am I going to do now? Sure I had wondered these things before...but never to this depth. I remember looking at myself in the mirror..and just being amazed that I'm human! Everything is so complex, but can be so simple at the same time. It can end in a second without warning, or continue till time takes hold of you.

After six months of these radical new thoughts and "self-awareness" I feel like a different person in some ways. apparently this is part of getting older, you may be similar but you not the same person you were when you were 20, 30, 40, 100. So to end this wall of text (sorry!) I guess I just want to say I think I'm just now "waking up", and I'm excited to see what unfolds, into this unknown,terrifying, beautiful world we live in.

Face it, dude, you're gonna die.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Tue 05/11/10 07:05 PM

Do you feel like you are the last person to post a lot? Does gloom and doom follow you from thread to thread?

Are you the fellow a tread dreads?

sad

Confess your sins here and be cleansed!

Most of these threads deserve to die--they are about the most inane, asinine topics that I have seen. I do believe that most people on dating sites have never had a clever, witty or original thought.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Tue 05/11/10 07:03 PM

...The Dukes Cultivated Wealth

....I think most fall in between.

We ALL have these "Cavalier" thoughts, words, and ideas of acceptance of our paths.

I was (excuse the ego-crudness) more on the "Monk" side and I coulda been a millionaire.......

slaphead I suppose the question is...........

Is there something that you wish that you had....that will NEVER be a part of your makeup?

Before there were monks, people cultivated grapes (not wine) in order to make fermented drinks. Dionysus was the Greek god of wine and he was worshiped for centuries.

If there is something that I desire, I will make it a part of my "make-up."

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Tue 05/11/10 06:59 PM

...for your existence?

Why should I?

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sun 04/18/10 06:56 PM

if anyone wants to learn a real history lesson and where all religions of today come from. than my friends and kinsmen and women just bing search ( ODINISM) it is the oldest known religion to man. In fact have you ever heard of thor, estrae, odin and frag , loki, these are some of the many self nordic gods of our ancestors. enjoy learning a way to make yourself happy better and more loving to all!

Damn.

Someone had better wake up the pharaohs and tell them that the religion they practiced up to 5,000 years ago wasn't a religion.

If you are speaking of the religion of the Norse, it is a johnny-come-lately compared to other pagan faiths. The Norns are based on the Greek Moirae and Odin and Thor are like many thunder gods who preceded them.

Really, learn some history, dude!

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sun 04/18/10 06:50 PM

Adam and Eve are a myth. The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil is a myth. Unless you are a fundamentalist Christian, there is no way around it. It isn't in my best interest to CLAIM that it is a myth, but I have explained and show why it is a myth.

In this forum, you are not debating in order to convince Christians that either their sacred stories are myths or to establish a "truth": you debate in order to prove your points to yourself and to those who think the same way as you do.

The whole argument about knowledge=evil is an old and rhetorical argument; I went into it in depth in my MA thesis.

It is my fault, though--on a dating site, I should not expect to find a "debate" (and I loosely call this a debate because in reality, it isn't much of a debate) wherein the debaters not only have a firm grasp on the information that they are presenting, but that they are able to see points that do not agree with their own.

Mea culpa.

ok...I have to admit that was a pretty cool meltdown ...so now that you released all your pent up frustration can we get back on topic

Go ahead--I am outta here.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sun 04/18/10 12:24 PM
THE EXAMPLE
everything you posted above is myth

see how easy it is to claim that anything and everything is a myth when it becomes in your best interest to do so .....if you agree with one part then you can claim it to be fact but if you disagree with another part then it's convenient to claim that it's a myth

this is why if your going to debate in an attempt to find what is myth or truth you should try to debate as if everything in the story is truth ...

Adam and Eve are a myth. The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil is a myth. Unless you are a fundamentalist Christian, there is no way around it. It isn't in my best interest to CLAIM that it is a myth, but I have explained and show why it is a myth.

In this forum, you are not debating in order to convince Christians that either their sacred stories are myths or to establish a "truth": you debate in order to prove your points to yourself and to those who think the same way as you do.

The whole argument about knowledge=evil is an old and rhetorical argument; I went into it in depth in my MA thesis.

It is my fault, though--on a dating site, I should not expect to find a "debate" (and I loosely call this a debate because in reality, it isn't much of a debate) wherein the debaters not only have a firm grasp on the information that they are presenting, but that they are able to see points that do not agree with their own.

Mea culpa.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sun 04/18/10 06:30 AM
Actually, it was Amerigo Vespucci IMHO

The Norse made it to what is now known as the "Americas" before the Italians got here.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sun 04/18/10 06:26 AM

Gwendolyn...yes you were connecting the dots but those dots were off the topic...so can you connect the dots as to where in The Old testament it mention Zeus and Loki being in The Garden or Eden

if you can not find any passage in the bible that mention Zeus or Loki then perhaps you will understand what I meant about you not connecting the dots pertaining to the topic of Satan granting knowledge to Mankind

You REALLY missed the points of my posts. Myth is archetypal--the tales presented in the Hebrew Scriptures are found in many other mythoi. While the Hebrew scriptures are filled with references to other deities, including Astarte and Tammuz, they might not refer directly to Zeus and especially not to Loki. The archetypal associations, though, are clear. Loki and Hermes are the trickster gods; acthetypically speaking, when the serpent gets Eve to eat the fruit, he/she (the serpent is often represented as female in Medieval and Renaissance art), then it falls into the category of the trickster.

Yawheh and Zeus are both "head" gods--and while Yahweh might be singular, Elohim is not. Both Yahweh and Zeus are male mothers; Yahweh creates Adam and Zeus "gives birth" to both Athena and Dionysus. Zeus punishes Prometheus for giving fire to man (and I mean man, not woman). "Fire" is not only a means to cook food and provide warmth, but it also symbolizes enlightenment and knowledge. This is a parallel myth to Eve getting knowledge in an illicit manner.

People who do not have a broader understanding of how a mytho/mythos fits into the wider scopes of mythoi fail to see how the myths are basically the same tales. I bet that if you were writing about the flood, you wouldn't chastise someone for bringing up the Sumerian/Babylonian myth of Utnapishtim in Gilgamesh because they are clearly the same tale with different names; yet, you can't see the obvious connections of the creation myth with other myths.

Not only that, tell me WHERE in the myth of Eve that they ate from a tree that gave them any other knowledge but of good and evil. It isn't there. If you are going to be single faceted and dogmatic about details, then stick to the details.

As I said before, and which you ignored, the Jews didn't discourage knowledge, Adam and Eve didn't have a bible to follow, and keeping people in ignorance (as you categorize) was largely in more modern times when churches sought to keep people ignorant because ignorant people are easier to control.

Before that (and during that time), learning was the province of upperclass men--not women, not slaves, and not the poor. Martin Luther, for all his faults, began the movement, for lack of a better word, to educate the masses so that they could read the Bible for themselves. Sunday School was originally held to teach kids how to read.

And though all of that pertains to the subject at hand--god keeping people in ignorance--none of that happened in the Hebrew Scriptures, so they are moot points to this discussion.

PEOPLE keep people in ignorance, not gods: gods are made in the image of humans. If you want to castigate someone for keeping populaces in states of ignorance, castigate humans.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sat 04/17/10 07:51 PM

without quoting scripture or the bible, ++ I am serious>, ty ted

Why? Are you looking for a reason to believe?

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sat 04/17/10 07:48 PM
I did ask you what Zeus and Loki had to do with Eve, Satan and Adam in the garden but you didn't connect the dots

Actually, I did connect the dots; you just weren't able to track the movement.

It's OK, I am used to people not "getting" truly esoteric ideas and theories.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Fri 04/16/10 04:32 PM
Edited by Gwendolyn2009 on Fri 04/16/10 04:33 PM

I am not going off the point and I also notice that you do not address some of my comments and points.

Gwendolyn ...the debate is about Satan giving knowledge to Adam and Eve....and you were bringing up Zeus and Loki and rape....were Zeus and Loki in the garden trying to rape Eve...or Adam perhaps? and that's why they ate from the fruit

if the answer is no then you were going off the point

Oh, so sorry for not realizing that you didn't want a more broadly based discussion that included archetypal examples of other religions.

Silly me for being so global; I'll put some blinders on and pretend that neither Judaism nor Christianity are based on prior religions.

1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 14